Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

But.. does red not get this red card?

Printed in Dark Ascension, IDW Comics 2012, Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt, Commander 2014, Commander 2015, Eternal Masters, Commander Anthology Volume II, Eternal Masters, Commander 2019, Mystery Booster, Commander 2021, Strixhaven Mystical Archive, Strixhaven Mystical Archive Japanese and The List.

It has four different artworks since 2012.

Sometimes I don’t understand what other people are truly saying and I misunderstand. Never on purpose. Can you tell me what I do not understand, please?

No, red hasn't had this type of effect printed again on a new card since the original Faithless Looting. This has been replaced with discard and then draw ala Thrill of Possibility or Cathartic Reunion, but red no longer gets the chance to loot with draw, make a decision, then discard. Every red "looting" effect since they made this change has been discard and then draw.

Red also now has exile and you may play until end of turn/until your next turn. I think the original point that all colors already have fit to purpose draw and removal stands even if specifically flooting isn't considered.

For a specifically one mana spell that better fits what WotC is doing now, there is magmatic insight. A card that I honestly think deserves a closer look than we give it

Last edited:
I see. I did not understand that until now.

So the accurate statement would be “Red does not get this effect on cards except on Faithless Looting”?

Sometimes I don’t understand what other people are truly saying and I misunderstand. Never on purpose. Can you tell me what I do not understand, please?
Faithless Looting, the actual card, does get reprints, because it's a popular and desirable card that people use across formats. You can't undo its existence. Faithless Looting is not an example of what red gets, because it would be considered a color pie break by the modern color pie. It's something red got in the past. Notably, none of the reprints make it standard legal. (Although they did put it into Historic, for some reason.)

I would ideally like my cube to align with my color pie philosophy, but Faithless Looting is the one that best fits my design goals, so it's what I'll use. And no, I'm not using customs, that's for another project.

On that note, if anyone has a good customizable template for dungeons, I'm all ears. Doesn't even have to be specifically dungeon themed, a transparent background would probably be preferable.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What isn't? Thrill of Possibility is the same category of card as Catharthic Reunion, which was my arbitrary rummaging stand-in. And the conversation was about the color pie, so while yes, red also doesn't get literally Faithless Looting also for power level reasons, my comment was about its mechanics, which you echo. Red doesn't get to loot.

As an aside, the remark about Careful Study is kind of silly. Faithless Looting hasn't caused any problems in the formats that Careful Study is legal in either.
My bad, I was at work, and thought Reunion was a random discard one. I still disagree with the notion that rummaging doesn't give you an informed decision, as you can (and indeed have to) still choose which card in your hand you want to get rid of. It's obviously not as informed as actual looting effects (like Faithless Looting itself), but it still provides a lot more agency than the other forms of red card advantage/smoothing effects, and an additional upside is that rummaging can sometimes turn into card advantage (e.g. casting Bedlam Reveler with a (nearly) empty hand). Maybe I should have only quoted the last part, and not the first part that red doesn't get looting anymore, which I completely agree with (because it's a fact, not an opinion).

As an aside, Flooting was the first and last of its kind. No monored card before it, and no monored card after it draws then non-randomly discards in the same action. The only other 'looting' red gets to do is the all or nothing kind that cards like Curse of Obsession provide.

As a reaction to your aside, I thought your dismissal of Faithless Looting failed to address the fact that Flooting is simply a too efficient spell. Careful Study was merely an example of a similar effect that lacks one of Flooting's many features that pushes it over the top. The blue spell still sees play in Legacy, so it's obviously not a complete dud, and you are correct that it was never legal in Modern, the format that Flooting was wrecking the hardest (and arguably the only format it was wrecking).

You can also make an informed decision on when to cast Goblin Lore depending on what's in your hand, when I say you can make an informed decision on what to keep and what to discard, I am saying you are operating with perfect information (in regards to the content of your hand). Rummaging is naturally also a way to sculpt your hand, but you are not making an informed decision on what to discard, because you don't know if you'll draw two lands, two spells, the mana source you needed, a particular combo piece, etc. You are weighing the odds, or in other words, gambling. Of course, in some contexts, the choice is obvious, like ditching a mountain when you're flooding.

Which, I'm sure you knew those things already, I'm just defending my choice of phrasing.
(Also, I really don't know how to respond to the idea that I failed to address the power level of Faithless Looting in my dismissal of it. Velrun asked me to expand on what I said, which playability never factored into to begin with. Even if it did, which would disqualify several of the cards originally listed, power level fluctuates constantly and design mistakes from that perspective are a lot harder to control for than color pie breaks. Once Upon a Time isn't all that old.)

They put Brainstorm in Historic. I don't think they really thought through what Mystical Archives would do to that format.
Yeah but Brainstorm is a fair and balanced magic card.
For what it's worth I actually didn't expect it to be all that strong given the lack of easy shuffling, but in my defense, I don't play Historic.

Regardless, enough of that. Does anyone have any positive experienced with Awaken cards? I want to cube them, but Scatter to the Winds feels like the only defensible choice where actually animating a land is a reasonable choice that will come up with some frequency. Sure, Ruinous Path is defensible, but 7 mana is so much. And I also try to keep my black removal instant speed, because black is kind of lacking in the instant speed department otherwise, at least at the density that I want to experiment with.

Regardless, enough of that. Does anyone have any positive experienced with Awaken cards? I want to cube them, but Scatter to the Winds feels like the only defensible choice where actually animating a land is a reasonable choice that will come up with some frequency. Sure, Ruinous Path is defensible, but 7 mana is so much. And I also try to keep my black removal instant speed, because black is kind of lacking in the instant speed department otherwise, at least at the density that I want to experiment with.
If nothing else, Part the Waterveil used to be a proper finisher in Modern.

I kinda like Clutch of Currents — bouncing a creature at Sorcery speed for U is fine, and a 3/3 that bounces a creature for 4U is also fine. The fact that you get both of them as one card is decent.

Though this reminds me off a funny limited-tier synergy:

Eat 7/5 trampler, Villain!

Yeah that is kind of what is going on, I'm currently playing around with a pretty high manland density.
Why can't we just destroy competitive and have every set be Eldraine, I need my set mechanics to be Adventure pushed in card options.

Tweaking mana costs is the sort of "custom" that players rarely even notice. Especially on not-super-often-played cards like the ones with Awaken, they don't know/remember that Ruinous Path's awaken isn't supposed to cost 5 or whatever.

The awaken counterspell is a pretty fun win con in a super grindy control deck.

I think someone should start a thread that just rates all of the 3-mana hard counters.

There's are only 35 of them, after all. And, surprisingly enough, Cancel isn't the worst one. It's Vex.

EDIT: Spell Crumple is pretty darn cool, not gonna lie.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's are only 35 of them, after all. And, surprisingly enough, Cancel isn't the worst one. It's Vex.
Not that I'm a big fan of Vex, but it is the only unconditional hard counter for {2}{U}.

Just to be clear, would you call something like Thoughtbind a hard counter? It can't target everything, but there's no escape clause if it can target. Also, what about something like Lapse of Certainty? It can target everything, but it's only a temporary solution. If you do, you should also include stuff like Exclude, and your number is a bit higher than 35. If you don't, your number shrinks a bit further (assuming you used this query).

I see 36, maybe you missed Double Negative? I'm not counting Mages' Contest (that would make it 37).

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o:cou...sh)+-o:unless&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

I'm not a big fan of any of those, somehow. Not stopping anything until opponent's T4 on the draw is a huge issue. But Cancel is better in a lot of Riptide cubes than Didn't Say Please and Thought Collapse.

Scatter to the Winds is my favorite, and Voidslime has the rarely relevant upside, but feels the most rewarding when it is. Disallow doesn't feel as good to me, probably because I'm not having to pay a green for the upside.

I have fond memories of Hinder too, the Plow Under mode is techy and often correct.

Forbid is one of the most demoralizing cards.

Sinister Sabotage has a pretty real upside for that extra mana. I am also a huge fan of Dissipate in every format with an above average focus on the graveyard. Feels so good to just get rid of something entirely when facing a grindy recursion deck.

I also run a 4-mana counter in Dismiss. You got to board it out against aggro but damn it is powerful in a long game.

My favorite 3 mv counter has got to be this one.

Metallic Rebuke is generally not a 3 mv spell, but it's a neat way to incentivize an artifact deck. I find that it usually doesn't get the discount before T3 in my environment, which helps keep it from being busted, but having access to a cheap counterspell that's typically relevant throughout the game is super important.

I never tested Neutralize, but it looks akward. When exactly are you cycling it? On turn two, just before it becomes a castable option? In the late game, where holding a hard counter can be a game winning move? I assume only when you're very far behind and desperately need to affect the board right now.