Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

But it also has the upside of not being abysmal when countered as the discard is on etb.
That can definitely be relevant, although most Cubes don't run enough countermagic to make a tormenting voice variant worth stopping.

Does this card do anything for you?
I'm been thinking I want to try it out. But it also seems like a trap card. Am I wrong?
If you're still looking at this card, I would suggest playing Invasion of Mercadia instead.

This card plays really well, is incredibly fun and interactive, and it works well in more decks than the traditional tormenting voice variant. 10/10 would play again.

This card is just before my time. I'm looking at old Extended lists and I'm curious why it's run significantly more frequently than Damnation. I see a few ways that it's better, but it seems like quite a large mana investment in comparison.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How old are the Extended lists you are looking at, because Damnation is quite a bit newer than Pernicious Deed. In fact, there's six years between them! Since Extended as a supported format ceased to exist in 2013, Damnation got half as much time in the format as Deed.

This card is just before my time. I'm looking at old Extended lists and I'm curious why it's run significantly more frequently than Damnation. I see a few ways that it's better, but it seems like quite a large mana investment in comparison.
Besides the point of bootman, deed is often used in decks with high mana cost creatures (compared to the rest of the field). Therefore, the deed can be a one-sided effect. Breaking the symmetry on damnation is harder.

How old are the Extended lists you are looking at, because Damnation is quite a bit newer than Pernicious Deed. In fact, there's six years between them! Since Extended as a supported format ceased to exist in 2013, Damnation got half as much time in the format as Deed.
I'm not 100% sure how it's all sorted, but I saw lists playing 0-2 Damnations and 3-4 Deeds.
Besides the point of bootman, deed is often used in decks with high mana cost creatures (compared to the rest of the field). Therefore, the deed can be a one-sided effect. Breaking the symmetry on damnation is harder.
This might have been it. Other points in favor of Deed that I could think of were that it wipes everything, not just creatures. Also, if my deck is ahead on mana because I played a dork or a 1G sorcery, then I can leave my mana open and have an instant speed catch-all.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
After 2004 Deed existed in Extended formats with Mirrodin which meant the entire Affinity deck, artifact lands, Chrome Mox, and Isochron Scepter with Orim's Chant so blowing up more than creatures was very relevant. After that initial investment parking it there as an instant-speed sweeper made it very tough to play against and it worked well with Counterspell etc because you could sweep them EOT and then have shields up again immediately

I like Invasion of Mercadia but Bitter Reunion fucks - the on-board haste potential makes any new threat much scarier and sacrificing itself makes it an even better enabler for any graveyard stuff; I had a Commander Cube deck recently that could build a board full of tokens with Kykar/Occult Epiphany and attack right away or sac Reunion so you could Sevinne's Reclamation it + something else, loot again, and give that new creature haste. It's a nice enabler in Standard Reanimator with Bloodtithe Harvester/flipped Fable of the Mirror-Breaker - it's a very flexible card.

At some point Raffinity was the best aggro, combo and control deck in Standard. Then it was fine tuned and got even better as the best aggro combo deck. Then most of the cards got banned and it (Affinity) was still the best deck in a now reasonably fair Standard meta :p

I really find this strategy (archetype/theme/deck) interesting. Goblin Welder not so much because it doesn’t tutor and is best at cheating out big spells. Do we have other cards like Goblin Engineer? Your interpretation to my question is your limit :p

Also when did goblins suddenly become smart?

What can we do with this one?

What kind of artifacts do we want in the graveyard?

A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

I really find this strategy (archetype/theme/deck) interesting. Goblin Welder not so much because it doesn’t tutor and is best at cheating out big spells. Do we have other cards like Goblin Engineer? Your interpretation to my question is your limit :p