Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Huh. Galta and Mavren is actually the top Selesny creature pick on CubeCobra at the moment!

On an ELO basis, that makes sense. It's only played in 719 cubes as of writing, and most of the popular Cubes it's run in seem like Commander cubes or those restricted to Pioneer, etc. -- contexts where there are not very many strong GW creatures available. Interesting callout! I'm glad it's not just me who likes the big dinos!

I don't know how Selesnya has so few good choices for power-conscious lists like mine after 28 years of regularly printing allied guild cards. It's the only guild where I feel generally unsatisfied. It's why I brought up Applejack as a viable option in the SLD thread, even if I'm not a big fan of the art or the silver-bordered silliness.

d7d4c97a-9319-4534-9a49-da000f41a02d.jpg
Of all the suggestions, this is the most interesting to me but it doesn't excite me like the two choices I listed above.

I do not like big creatures that do not need to survive to give a lot of value, but that's me.

It's a good place to be, but that's what the competition where my cube leaves it, especially for a gold slot.

Appreciate the considerations, both!

For a GW top-end card in my 720 list, I'm currently running Ghalta and Mavren, which is a very fun Timmy card. I just found out Torsten, Founder of Benalia exists, and it seems like it's probably better? Ghalta and Mavren still passes the Vindicate test as long as you have another creature to attack with and has a sillier ceiling, but there's something about the double safety-valve of Torsten. What do you all think?
Are you doing Winota, Joiner of Forces Shenanigans? If so, Torsten is a great target for her.

Honestly I would lean Torsten in general because it’s a better cheat card than GM.

At a glance, your list looks like it needs immediate ETB value at 7 mana. There's quite a lot of higher powered cards in there and a player shouldn't spend 3GGWW only to immediately lose to some 1B instant.

The other consideration is that Torsten is likely unbeatable when cheated into play for a significant number of decks.

Torsten is definitely the stronger card.

Yeah, that makes sense. I just never read any of the other mites, honestly.

Understandable!

One cool thing about all these Magic expansions, Commander sets, Secret Lairs, Universes Beyond etc. etc. is that Magic can sometimes feel like when we all started as kids and we didn’t know all the cards. We didn’t know what was coming next. We could be surprised by one of opponent’s cards when he (correct term to use in 1990th) played (correct term to use pre M10) it. There’s something to appreciate there for all the questionable/bad things that happen to the game post War of the Spark.

Are there any other printings of this card? I'd like to include it, but hate the full frame thing it has going on.

I think it has good potential. It's great in the face of removal obviously, but you also get to surprise block someone. It can be used precombat as a bite spell or you can go haywire with Paradox Engine, Jeskai Ascendancy and Earthcraft/Rishkar, Peema Renegade.

Split Second feels a little heavy fisted though, not a fan of that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not at present. I'm running it, it hasn't shown up in draft yet, but I'm interested in it, and I'm only using it in fair ways.
I'll defend split second on it in that while inelegant, it does actually accomplish the goal of the card. Split second might be what a "fight" spell needs to work in higher power environments.
There's plenty of this effect without split second if that's not your jam

All I can think about when I see that card is:
Hey, removal for one green mana! (Just play it before you attack what you planned to do anyway.) It could be even played as protection or a fly catcher.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I for one am happy to finally have a green interactive spell that I can cast without fear of my opponent 2-for-1ing me into last week, and that can flexibly be used to counter a removal spell if that's what the game needs from you.

If you can only imagine this card being played against you and blowing you out, and aren't also thinking the times where it's stuck in hand because your creature isn't there, or it is there and there's no good attacks, or you do have a creature but it's just too small (none of this text lets birds of paradise beat up on anything, and god forbid your 2/2 is starting down some interchangable control card, be that palinchron, torrential gearhulk or even Omnath, Locus of Creation) you're missing a lot of what this card does.

Like, even that splinter twin-esque combo you've got there with the Alchemist is plague wind. They don't die, you just kill their board and the game keeps on going.
I think even if both of these cards are like, C+/B- cards you kinda want in your deck and combine to do something big, that's a fine outcome, and that is being EXTREMELY generous to the alchemist here.

If you can only imagine this card being played against you and blowing you out, and aren't also thinking the times where it's stuck in hand because your creature isn't there, or it is there and there's no good attacks, or you do have a creature but it's just too small (none of this text lets birds of paradise beat up on anything, and god forbid your 2/2 is starting down some interchangable control card, be that palinchron, torrential gearhulk or even Omnath, Locus of Creation) you're missing a lot of what this card does.
It is a green card, greens power is to have strong creatures. Yes, it can happen that you do not have the biggest boy in town ready to attack, but that should be a rare occasion. Unless you do something completely different with green in your cube.
Plague winding an opponent is almost always game over in a few turns. There is a reason that those cards cost 8 to 9 mana…

Does anyone have experience with

?

I am trying to see how far I can push my tempo mana denial decks and this seems like a good fit. However, I also want the card to be generally playable elsewhere too.

No experience with that. Would like to consider these

Evasive can send the wrong signals if you’re not supporting heavy multicolor.

Lose I would consider over Spell Pierce.

Mystic Confluence I would personally love to play in a deck like that as a catch all kind of card.