Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Brought back can be a bit more valuey with the two cmc and two return limit….it can be a pseudo rampant growth with a fetch land for whatever that’s worth. I like that it can return a planeswalker that dies…seems novel with sneak attack and fun with wasteland. At two mana it can be a combat trick

I’ve eyed it, mostly as a tool for sacrifice strategies….but the double white casting cost is a bummer. It makes it a little too clunky for me in the early game. But it might be worth testing if your mana is better than mine and you are fairly invested in sacrifice archetypes

Last edited:
Oh, absolutely, you have to be very careful with this one. That said, I've been on the receiving end of an armadillo polycule smackdown and it's just EDH enough to feel absolutely deserved.

While this isn't the most absurd thing that can happen by a long shot it remains one of my favorites.

Davriel is pretty miserable but such a cool card. The problem is it is absolutely devastating against a control player and way below par against aggro. So it’s super partial.

Davriel is pretty miserable but such a cool card. The problem is it is absolutely devastating against a control player and way below par against aggro. So it’s super partial.
Let me suggest a fix:
Picking davriel gets you the following card for free:

A bit of discard support and a new black control deck arrives
?
Oh, Smallpox is a bit of support for the persecutor (since you can sack the persecutor)

landofMordor

Administrator
Is this still a good card?

What about this?
"good" as in "improves your win percentage compared to analogous options from all magic cards printed"? No, not by a long shot. You can get better bang for your buck for less mana in both cases, often with multiple analogues -- Scourge of the Skyclaves, Hymn to Tourach, Spawn of Mayhem, etc etc.

"good" as in "contributes to a healthy cube environment that fits your personal goals"? I can't answer that, because I don't know your goals, but here are the broader design levers which will most significantly contribute to these cards' strength:

For Persecutor, its strength depends on how many tempo-positive answers exist for it, mostly. You don't need many sac outlets (because you just get them below 0 and then you have an un-attackable blocker until you draw your own removal spell), but you do need to not be punished for playing a 4-mana thing that doesn't protect its value in any way.

Davriel's strength depends whether Divination is a playable card in your environment, because Davriel is just about as tempo-negative. If you can tap out for 0 board advantage on turn 3 and not get punished, he's probably just as good as any other 3mv 2-for-1 that doesn't affect the board.

Am I underrating this card?

Card is super solid. Not quite Tireless Tracker and more like an above cost beater than card advantage engine, but there are a lot of neat little synergies to exploit. Being a human is relevant, blinking for more clues is fun, and I like that it's in the sweet spot for Coco and Birthing Pod shenanigans.

Last edited:
yeah briarbridge is real good, i would probably run it at 360+, card beats down and has kind of a unique angle for its power level (most cards that specifically care about tokens are more in the Pauper/Artisan power range)

What about Inexorable Blob? Can it be strong if you have graveyard stuff? Or is it just cute? I'm not sure if it's niche or just way below my power level.

I played it for about two years. It's supposed to be a cute card for Sneak Attack-styled decks that helps draw you into your fatties worst-case, but it ended up being too fragile on too many dimensions. Honestly, a 4th toughness would've saved it. The fact that it takes its summons with it when it dies makes it fair enough to justify in quite a broad range of power bands, but I think I'd sooner put back in the classic Show and Tell before returning Arcane Artisan to my 720.

At just 1 MV more (and a smaller total mana investment), I think I'd rather just run Elvish Piper tbh.

I played it for about two years. It's supposed to be a cute card for Sneak Attack-styled decks that helps draw you into your fatties worst-case, but it ended up being too fragile on too many dimensions. Honestly, a 4th toughness would've saved it. The fact that it takes its summons with it when it dies makes it fair enough to justify in quite a broad range of power bands, but I think I'd sooner put back in the classic Show and Tell before returning Arcane Artisan to my 720.

At just 1 MV more (and a smaller total mana investment), I think I'd rather just run Elvish Piper tbh.
I always liked

It's a very fair cheatercard which is much less fragile. The opponent can choose to not play a creature or the opponent can choose to attack badly.