Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Has anyone tried Saga in a lower power, slower environment like mine? I probably wouldn't run it anyway because it's so weird and complicated and gimmicky, but I'm curious.
Just wanted to stop by and say I don't think Saga is a particularly healthy low-power card. While it's definitely less busted in low power than it is in Modern/Legacy, I think it just provides a ton of value for something that can be played for 0 mana.

I think if you want to try it (and haven't yet, I know this is an old comment :p), you should. I'm sure there are variations on "low power and slower" where it's not going to be a problematic card. However, whether or not Urza's Saga is problematic needs to be discovered experimentally on a case-by-case basis.

Gut check: how reasonable and fun is Titania these days? I know it'd be good in my environment. It's been on my personal "banned" list for years....but my format's speed is picking up, removal is getting a bit better, and Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar is feeling a little clunky.

I run more ways to abuse it than the average cube. In addition to fetchlands, I run:

It's definitely my type of card.

Last edited:

Gut check: how reasonable and fun is Titania these days? I know it'd be good in my environment. It's been on my personal "banned" list for years....but my format's speed is picking up, removal is getting a bit better, and Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar is feeling a little clunky.
It's definitely my type of card.

Yeah, I "banned" it and then ended up un-banning it once my power-level had advanced by enough. It's an absolute bomb, but in my format that's what you should expect at 5 mana. You need to meet certain land/creature ramp criteria to make a 5 drop playable once the speed gets high enough - in fact, I think Titania and Yorion are the only creatures you cast for 5 mana in my entire cube. Then once you resolve it, you basically always get value and extra power left over even if they remove it so it's worth it.

Some percent of the time you really go off and kill them on the spot. In the original version of the Mox Cube this created a bit of problem where BG duress + wasteland + Titania/Zuran Orbs had the best disruption and the best combo kill. At that time, cutting Titania was 100% the correct decision. But now that everything else has caught up in power and the speed has increased so much, Titania is fair + sweet so its an easy include.

I think the ease of assembling Titania + Cataclysm or any of the Wildfires goes against the finesse your cube is cultivating.
It’s just a brute force combo that doesn’t leave a lot of room for counter play.

You are better suited to figuring out if that is indeed the case. I suspect you already know this, but you are desperate because it’s a really cool card :D

Titania is straight fire and super frickin strong, if you’re doing combo stuff with her (i wouldn’t know anything about those dirty combos) she gets even stronger i’m sure

I talk about how some cards don't work in my size of cube often enough that I want to make a second cube just to support cards like Titania. She's incredibly strong and cool and great but there's not enough fetch lands, Armageddons, etc. to make her consistent enough in a 720 list. Even doubling up on fetches wouldn't do it imo

Would absolutely play her in anything 540 or smaller.

Has anyone tested

at all? It's the only card that's caught my eye from the new set.

I like it. It's solid for delirium, great with welders and other artifact support. It appreciate how it incentivizes aggressive/low mana curves....which is a nice quality for a card that also offers Ichor Wellspring-like durdletown action.

It's fun with things like Shepherd of the Flock, Flickerwisp, Kor Skyfisher, Arcbound Ravager, Scrap Trawler....and is a solid Trinket Mage/Emry, Lurker of the Loch target.

Last edited:
I like it. It's solid for delirium, great with welders and other artifact support. It appreciate how it incentivizes aggressive/low mana curves....which is a nice quality for a card that also offers Ichor Wellspring-like durdletown action.

It's fun with things like Shepherd of the Flock, Flickerwisp, Kor Skyfisher, Arcbound Ravager, Scrap Trawler....and a solid Trinket Mage/Emry, Lurker of the Loch target.
Well, I play 6 out of 7 of those, so it sounds like it's at least worth a try, thanks!

Well, I play 6 out of 7 of those, so it sounds like it's at least worth a try, thanks!

I will add that that its general utility decreases the higher your mana curve is. For instance, you'd like to be able to play it on turn 3 before playing a land for the turn so that you can play a land, 1 drop, or 2 drop off the trigger...then you can sacrifice it on turn 5-6, get the token and hopefully play a land, 1 drop, or 2 drop. It's less savory to run in a more midrange curve as it limits its usefulness in the first several turns of the game.

Has anyone ever tested this strange, strange card? I feel like it has to do something.

I gave it a little burn 25 years when a friend gave me a handful of cards to help me build a deck when I was still learning the game lol

It’s….pretty bad. It’s slow. Dies to everything. Telegraphs your intentions while tying up all your mana.

Okay, that's totally reasonable lol. Definitely not a high-powered card, but if it doesn't do anything in kitchen table games then it's not going to cut it here. I guess I should have figured that out from it being cheap as dirt.

Why did nobody tell me about

I love it and don't want to ever cut it. Been running it since it was first printed.

The WCS of it being a clone is not embarrassing, but typically you get to do your normal ninja shenanigans and may even get a sweet ETB that can mess with combat even more. Delightful little thing.