Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Somehow I missed this card. I've seen a lot of people love allucard sorin and this card is actually pretty similar.
this card is in like every Arena cube ever and it just never, ever plays as good as i want it to. i would LOVE to recommend it as it’s probably my favorite Liliana art, but the card is just barely shy of being good. i don’t even know how i would fix it for being cubable, but it just doesn’t get there even in the historic card pool as a powerful walker. it’s always “fine.”

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean I prefer this:
a2edac86-02d4-4201-9b72-2ec64f163a72.png

Its kinda close, but in an Uro/Kroxa way where Sorin's probably better because increasing your resources is probably better than decreasing their resources?

Attachments

• 1652376657864.png
    1652376657864.png
    944.9 KB · Views: 0
yeah, she is usually about a 2 for 1 and then dies to basically anything. sorin is always a 2 for 1 immediately and then doesn’t die for a while unless they jump through a lot of hoops to make it happen.
and quite honestly i need a 4 mana card to be better than “usually a 2 for 1”
EDIT i JUST figured out how to fix her. make the +1 only cause opponents to discard

I think mutual discard is a hard sell these days with so much emphasis on incidental card quality/advantage. And I'm not sure many of our cube decks actually thrive on creating low-resource game states in the way that Modern Jund does/did with thee mana lilli.

If you have a large incentive for discarding your own stuff via madness etc., her stock would go up quite a bit in my mind, otherwise there seem like better options for achieving what she achieves.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That does look like an interesting comparison to Beacon of Unrest.

But yeah, I don't love the initiative, and...does it ever have reminder text?
Edit: Fucksakes there's places where they could have added reminder text and chose not to:
1657758475918.png1657758492029.png

That does look like an interesting comparison to Beacon of Unrest.

But yeah, I don't love the initiative, and...does it ever have reminder text?
Edit: Fucksakes there's places where they could have added reminder text and chose not to:
View attachment 7163View attachment 7164
The user @blacksmithy made a lot of reworked cards from this set for me. I am still cutting the pictures to show you all in a 2nd appreciation thread. One of the cards he made for me was a reworked Avenging Hunter for my low-powered dungeon-adventure themed deck.

Dumb question (I am sick, so brain no work good):

How cheap would it feel if I included a cards like Ghor-Clan Rampager/Goblin Free-Runner/Ironhoof Boar/ in my "only MVs 2, 3, and 7 are allowed!" cube, if I also constrained it so that you could only "cast" them for their alternate costs?

I'm playing with the idea because it'd let me increase the density of various mechanics without having to actually design customs.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Dumb question (I am sick, so brain no work good):

How cheap would it feel if I included a cards like Ghor-Clan Rampager/Goblin Free-Runner/Ironhoof Boar/ in my "only MVs 2, 3, and 7 are allowed!" cube, if I also constrained it so that you could only "cast" them for their alternate costs?

I'm playing with the idea because it'd let me increase the density of various mechanics without having to actually design customs.
Oh no! Get well soon! <3

I'ld say it feels really forced, and against the spirit of your cube, especially because you include cards in that cube with an mv of 2, 3, and 7 that can be used at other mana values, e.g. Sheer Drop is an mv 3 card that can also be cast for 6 mana.

After thinking about it with a less-sick head, I agree.

Which raises the further question of whether or not custom cards also violate the spirit of the cube... I feel like they kinda do, because part of the exercise is pulling from a less-than-ideal set of cards.

Which raises the further question of whether or not custom cards also violate the spirit of the cube... I feel like they kinda do, because part of the exercise is pulling from a less-than-ideal set of cards.

I think this is kind of always the case. But the good (and bad) thing about cube is that we set the rules ourselves.

However custom cards always have an extra barrier to breach when it comes to acceptance from strangers or even friends because they are, by design, not from Wizards of the Coast.

In my personal prediction I think you will find a lot more joy in designing and having people play with your cube if you exclude custom cards and stick to your ‘rules’ a little more strictly. The joy when Wizards spoil a perfect card for your cube is bigger when you have limited yourself to exclusively include Wizards’ cards.

Somehow I missed this card. I've seen a lot of people love allucard sorin and this card is actually pretty similar.
It plays much worse than it looks. I've played quite a bit with it and it's either too expensive or too clunky to work.

Often, you'll play her on the board, minus her and then see her die on the spot. Sometimes, you want to do that, but you don't have enough cards in your graveyard to. Other times, her mutual discard hurts you more than it does your opponent. She's awful if you are significantly behind and, if your opponent has en empty hand, the 3 damage per turn is not enough. You are probably playing this in a controllish deck and the life loss doesn't help you win.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think Caleb is running bonus round in his (essentially) all combo cube as singleton past in flames #3?

Gala Greeters is sweet, lots of cool decisions

Bonus Round is sick but only goes in storm. it's not a Past in Flames because you can't value-PiF it or do your like baby's value YawgWill, you need to storm out that turn. but it lets you generate a lot of mana and patches up some holes in a cube storm deck (which often lacks one of either draw or mana). imo