Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Soul Partition vs morph. It gets exiled face up and costs (2)(MC) to cast?

Also... How good is Soul Partition? Seems like a well costed removal spell, but letting them get it back is pretty bad sometimes.

We were talking about that on discord. It's like this with an extra tax, so I'd guess pretty decent in tempo but not in slower decks.

is a very playable wish imo
This card was too much fun in limited, I've had games where I wished for both off-color basics and cards to cast them with. It offers a cool incentive to play some dual-lands "just in case".
Soul Partition vs morph. It gets exiled face up and costs (2)(MC) to cast?

Also... How good is Soul Partition? Seems like a well costed removal spell, but letting them get it back is pretty bad sometimes.
Correct.

It's a Disperse that adds commander tax to the permanent, so it's (almost) always mana-positive if they recast it. Not being able to split up the cost makes it very debilitating against cards on the more expensive side, and I like the flexibility of it (including being able to use it on your own cards when necessary), but you do need to apply pressure for the effect to be desirable. I am curious about how good it will be in practice and if it will see any tournament play, I don't think the card is competitive outside of standard and pioneer, but I think it offers some interesting diversity to the white removal suite.

is a very playable wish imo
i’ve played it, it is quite nice, just ended up a little too slow for me. i’m also a wish fanatic, and having larger draft pools makes the “good” wishes (the ones that cost 2 mana) much better, because you’re more likely to have relevant stuff in there

Fateful absence but they always draw a relevant card?
I think I prefer absence, and I think unexpectedly absent might just be better than both?
Absent is a straight up better fit for what I'm doing here, actually. Thanks!

Speaking of what I'm doing... Anyone played any slightly color imbalanced environments? I'm missing the other color pairs and was thinking of doing some sort of Torment-Judgment cube where it's uBr vs GW, but it's always failed in the past because I went too extreme on it. Right now I'm looking at a mana base of about half Evolving Wilds, as they're flexible and enable Domain. The other half is 5 UB/BR/GW lands, 2 WB/BG, and 3 of the rest, plus 3 Grixis lands. Then I was thinking like 50/60/75/60/50 WUBRG split or something like that. Any strong opinions on this idea?

Any success with this guy?

Any math nerds know the percentage of Zombies needed for good support? Or anecdotal evidence is there's no number nerds.

Any math nerds know the percentage of Zombies needed for good support? Or anecdotal evidence is there's no number nerds.
I have not seen any Cubes have major success with this guy, but I think that's mostly for a lack of trying.

Unlike Champion of the Parish, which can be forced into pretty much any Cube provided the designer is willing to forgo interesting non-humans in favor of incidental human density, Champion of the Perished doesn't have the same incidental support catalog. Zombies are mostly relegated to black, and most Zombies are not exceptionally powerful or interesting cards in their slot. As a result, Champion of the Perished essentially requires a Zombie Tribal deck to be supported in the environment to work as intended.

However, I think you could definitely make this work in the Black Cube if you wanted to. Since that Cube can afford to run a higher density of Black creatures, including bunch of {B}{B} cost card and black multicolor cards, you can absolutely get to a density of incidental Zombies where Champion of the Perished is a safe pick. I don't have an exact number of Zombies you would want to reach this point, but I would imagine it's roughly similar to the number of Humans Champion of the Parish gamers like to use.

I don't think the zombie count needs to be nearly as high as champ if you lean into an aristocrats theme and include the recursive zombs like gravecrawler. In fact I think it can be quite a compact package, almost pre-existing in some cubes with a few additions to flush out the zombie fodder for the decks sac outlets. The play style would be a tad different. You can't idle along with this beater that is just curving out into a monster as the game progresses, you would play it to gain a burst damage finisher/brute that is capitalizing on you setting up your loop, with maybe a couple counters as you get set up.

The question at that point becomes "does the deck really need CotPerished's effect?", which really needs deck testing to find out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess the answer is "it just needs another zombie and a way to recur it". I think the champion could be decent in both the black cube and the onslaught masters

I don't think the zombie count needs to be nearly as high as champ if you lean into an aristocrats theme and include the recursive zombs like gravecrawler. In fact I think it can be quite a compact package, almost pre-existing in some cubes with a few additions to flush out the zombie fodder for the decks sac outlets. The play style would be a tad different. You can't idle along with this beater that is just curving out into a monster as the game progresses, you would play it to gain a burst damage finisher/brute that is capitalizing on you setting up your loop, with maybe a couple counters as you get set up.

The question at that point becomes "does the deck really need CotPerished's effect?", which really needs deck testing to find out.

If you are expecting to slot it into aristocrats with sacrifice and recursion, you might as well consider:

I wish it counted land sacrifice too. That would've been a windmill slam for me

It's pretty easy to get going, you don't need a whole lot of support to make it a thing. In all honesty if you can get either Champ up to 2 power you're already golden and on rate with other aggro one drops, getting it to 3+ lets it reach a higher ceiling than almost every other one drop you could be playing. Gravecrawler is the obvious big enabler to really go off and grow it to 4+, but basic sequencing ala curving out with a Dread Wanderer or Tainted Adversary or an EOT Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia token isn't much work.

You'll want some number of zombies in black to make it easier, but I think it's much easier to make this an effective card than it seems on first glance. Zombies aren't ubiquitous ala Humans being thrown on every other creature but they don't require a whole lot of work to get going. Honestly all you're really looking for out of a one drop is probably 3-4 damage over its lifetime on the battlefield. You can absolutely reach that threshold just curving out creatures in a B/x deck provided that you've made swaps here and there to supplement zombies as a type.

You don't need a whole lot of support to make either this or OG champ worth it; the whole point of these cards is to create opportunity to deal big damage off a small investment and thoughtful sequencing. If you topdeck it late in the game it'll be no different than some other generic 2/1 for 1 in terms of impact where it just kinda rots in hand due to the board being too developed. These type of cards just give non-red aggro the reach and chance to compete via vertical growth and are well worth playing pretty much every time imo.

Perished probably offers more opportunity late game if you have any type of aristocrats loop setup, as it can power up real fast to late(r) game relevance.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Magus of the Tabernacle, but I wouldn't cube it - and I run a lot of cards for nostalgia value. Humility is cool but most of the time I'd rather have a Wrath or a Moat - if there's some cool shenanigan you want to get up to that requires it maybe? I just don't know what that would be.