Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Did anyone use this? Hit or miss?

I play it and it's alright. I think it's the best version of punisher type cards we've had and I do like the ability to use it as a discard outlet/flashback card later in the game.

The only issue is that it's not as universally wanted from various R/x decks aside from aggressive builds. I think it's just decent, not anything spectacular. Honestly would be the first red card I'd cut in my list if I found something more interesting in a similar slot.

Is Force of Will a trap?

I'm rusty but it seems to me that it's difficult to have enough blue cards to reliably support it and not suffer the card disadvantage. It's good in aggressive decks (but worse than Daze) and allows control to tap out to play their big finisher but I wonder how much of a trap it is. I know others ahve expressed similar thoughts so what's your take on it?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I bought one long ago, when my cube was still at a much higher power level, and it wasn't worth it. FoW is only good in a cube if you have tap out combo decks that need protecting.

There were always vehicles on Ravnica. They just didn't have a mechanic to show us during the first and the second visit. I am running a Jeskai prowess theme in my cube. Will this help? Anyone having any good experiences with it?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I really liked it in testing so far, in Boros especially, as you're wont to run equipment, noncreature token makers and removal. Plays much better than I had anticipated. Also, getting them by double pumping it with a combat trick on another attacker is fun.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

An iconic card that can do some crazy things but also lead to highly repetitive sequences or a feeling of helplessness when you know they can just find the perfect trump to whatever your plan is at any time. The shuffling is pretty obnoxious too. Is the upside worth it?

An iconic card that can do some crazy things but also lead to highly repetitive sequences or a feeling of helplessness when you know they can just find the perfect trump to whatever your plan is at any time. The shuffling is pretty obnoxious too. Is the upside worth it?

Not unless your power level is essentially powermax.

I'd say Vivien's Arkbow is a more fair equivalent.

I've not found Survival to be oppressive or honestly even all that good for a while now. The tempo cost of 2 drop enchantment and 1 mana every time you need to use it is very real. I can't remember the last time I saw it in play and thought it was taking over the game.

I don't think it leads to highly repetitive sequences nor a feeling of helpness.

The card is a repeteable tutor but a tutor that requires both tempo and mana and which requires you to discard other cards. Ah, and it's card disadvatange until you get an engine going! This means it's far from a matter of finding "the perfect trump" because that trump comes at a cost to you. Remember, too, that it costs one mana to use and you still need to play your creature.

It's also unlikely you have so many trumps. Sure, you might pick up a Mystic Snake and a Reclamation Sage but you are not going to have a counter to most of the things your opponents do. I mean, what's the trump to the typical Ux control deck?

There are also quite a few constraints put on the card, some of them caused by the format:

- You need mana dorks. Playing survival is a tempo hit and requires mana every turn. You need to play creatures on top of that and many of them will be 3 or 4 mana.
- You need to draft a high amount of creatures.
- You need a deck that works without survival. There's redundancy in Fauna Shaman.
- You need to interact with your opponent or you become "bad midrange". This is a huge
- You need a way to turn discarding into an advantage
- Often your deck needs to be three-colours

In my experience, these three cards go into the same kind of deck:

With some experience and the right cube environment you can also do things like:

I'm looking for a decent reanimation target in black that isn't Grizzlebees. I keep getting excited over the big legendary demons they keep printing, and they keep letting me down. It's been a while since I looked at the praetors. How does this one hold up? Too backbreaking if she sticks? Or is that okay since if you kill her immediately you don't get any value?

The only thing I dislike for a normal cube is the Swampwalk. It targets a few opponents and there is nothing they can do to suddenly not run Swamps just because this girl is on the battlefield or in the booster pack.

However it is not very relevant on a bomb that already kills creatures every turn.

I like her = 7/10 point from me.

I really dislike that card. There's no play or trick to it. If you have removal, you must use it on her. If you don't, you lose. I would rather run Noxious Gearhulk, as strong as he is, because it's a one-time thing and not a constant ever-increasing advantage.

Sheoldred is ridiculous if you get her out early (like most early reanimation targets), but pretty fair on curve if both sides have been developing their boards.

I recall you growing skeptical of recruiters in your cube due to their often variance-reducing nature. Survival has that quality in spades. I long determined it to be a detriment to my format, and haven't run it in a couple years now. The lines and big plays it encourages is well-worn and boring by now imo.

I'm looking for a decent reanimation target in black that isn't Grizzlebees. I keep getting excited over the big legendary demons they keep printing, and they keep letting me down. It's been a while since I looked at the praetors. How does this one hold up? Too backbreaking if she sticks? Or is that okay since if you kill her immediately you don't get any value?

?

?

I've never run sheoldred due to the swampwalk, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I think if you reanimation suite starts coming online around turn 4, and you have a decent removal suite, that it would be fine. I like cards whose advantage plays out over multiple turns like Smokestack, mostly due to way it warps board development and decision-making, but it's maybe not the best for those casual of heart.

Is this card cubable without a utility land draft? I run 46 nonbasic lands in my cube of 450. It seems like a really sweet build around and I've loved the decks in standard that play it.

Reactions: dbs
I don't think so, but if someone does figure out a way to pull it off I'd be interested. The issue is that it does nothing until you've played your 7th land. That's a lot more reasonable in a deck with 28+ lands versus a deck with like 18 lands. You aren't going to get the density of non-basic land ramp that this card needs to hum.

Have any of you ever seen this be anything other than a wrath + a 4/4 flier? I like the art, and I'm tempted by the card, but the wordiness puts me off.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Has this survived for any length of time in any of your Cubes? It famously was #1 on LSV's list of most overrated cards in Vintage Cube, which was fair but only because Vintage Cube is designed to be as unfair in other (and more unfun, IMO) ways as possible. The problem with most Equipment is that it makes the game all about itself and the text on your actual creatures becomes less relevant; that's certainly true with Skullclamp but some part of me wants to believe it can be reasonable for some reason

Reactions: dbs
I run a nerfed version that costs and equips for the same but gives -1/-1 instead and draws 1 instead.
That has felt very balanced.

However I would probably cut it i I were not into custom cards.