General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

en_7QVrWh6ESl.png
en_YQm6jM9YEb.png

Last charm! This one is good as well, featuring Card Draw and Removal.

I think the Charms as compared to other Cubeworthy 3c cards I've played a lot go like:

Riviteers Charm>Siege Rhino>Brokers Charm>Obscura Charm>Mantis Rider>Maestro's Cham>Sidisi, Brood Tyrant>>>>Cabaretti Charm.

Obviously, the exact power level of these cards varies by format, this is just how I think they stack up in general in my experience.

Podwalker Vivien? Interesting.

Gala Greeters looks like a card I need to make room for in the Capitalism Cube. Hot damn.

Elspeth is ramp in white!!

:edh:

She has the potential to be okay, depending on how good a shield counter winds up being. I suspect a return of Proliferate in the near future.

Given that we've seen a few Treasure-producing cards (well, one treasure-maker and one actual Treasure) in Green, I hope we get a few Treasure cards in non-Rakdos colors.

Am I the only one which is irked by the abuse of keywords? This set has so many keywords which could be great if they show up on many cards. If they do not, it seems like a waste of mental memory.
This set borrows much of it's structure from Khans of Tarkir, which had about 10 cards with each unique faction keyword. However, each set in the Khans block also had roughly 30 Morph (or morph-adjacent) cards which Streets of New Capenna won't have. Each unique mechanic that appeared in the Khans block had 20 cards each, provided they appeared in two sets. My guess is that this set will have between 12 and 20 cards with each unique keyword since there is no Morph in New Capenna and Hideaway only appears on 5 cards in the main set. There will also be some number of cards with the family mechanics in the commander decks, such as Anhelo, the Painter giving spells casualty.

I don't know if 12-20 cards (plus commander stuff) constitutes as an "abuse" in your view, but there should be enough cards each that keywording made sense over spelling it out, at least in the vacuum of this set.

So far, I haven't seen anything tempting me to put it into my cube, and I won't add any traditional 3-color cards, but I really like the mechanics!

Connive is a loot variant, that actually adds power. Probably good for myself to be forced to actually win a game and not just accumulate value :D

Casualty could be interesting, especially on generally useful spells in black and red.

Blitz is another cool tool for aggro and sacrifice, if they manage to deliver some elegant but strong designs.

Alliance aka creaturefall is obviously good, works with tokens, blink etc., although it feels a bit "cheap" for a faction mechanic.

Shield counters smell like future evergreen maybe. I mean, ward does a good job of being a finally balanced shroud variant, but shields also seem like a nice way to give an expensive threat some staying power without making it impossible to interact with it.