General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

Casualty could be interesting, especially on generally useful spells in black and red.
You might enjoy having a little chat with your players...
en_IMCzSk2qib.png

...you could even Light 'Em Up!

lightemup.jpg

(I don't like that this card can't hit players and is a sorcery but burn is illegal in Standard right now. I think this card is still serviceable in lower power or slower environments with Sacrifice and Spells stuff going on).

Oof Grixis Casualty spells are so sweet. Idk if all of them will be good enough to warrant it, but I'm willing to fork out some slots for them. I'll bet that the instant ones will be miles ahead in terms of playability over the sorceries.

Also I am surprised that no one mentioned the Commander Pre-cons
kittkantomayhemdiva.jpg
henzietoolboxtorre.jpg
kamizobscuraoculus.jpg
perriethepulverizer.jpg

They're fun, for Kitt Kanto I would have to sharpie out the Goad text cuz I'm not playing multiplayer. (Probably needs a complete reword though). And I would have to sharpie out the bottom text for Henzie if I ever use them.

But my favorite is 100%
anhelothepainter.jpg

Because Kess, dissident mage is too good for my cube so this is a FUN middle ground. Fits into aggro, midrange, control... It's so good.

Oof Grixis Casualty spells are so sweet. Idk if all of them will be good enough to warrant it, but I'm willing to fork out some slots for them. I'll bet that the instant ones will be miles ahead in terms of playability over the sorceries.

It's because this isn't the NNC spoilers thread, silly! But I completely agree, and now that we're here, I want to talk about Perrie, my BOY

Granting trample and being a fascinating new counters lord seems really, really solid. I want him (and shield counters by extension) to be good enough to run a proliferate archetype that isn't either "totally not just +1/+1 counters" or infect (a big yikes from me).

But my favorite is 100%
anhelothepainter.jpg

Because Kess, dissident mage is too good for my cube so this is a FUN middle ground. Fits into aggro, midrange, control... It's so good.

Anhelo is my other favorite out of the bunch! I think it remains to be seen how hard it is to sac something to Casualty. It's kind of a shame that these colors are the worst at creating creature tokens with 2 power, but maybe I'm getting too caught up in the dream of going infinite, lol.

people.png

Sorry to double-post, but we've also forgotten the last two Crime People, who I actually think are the best of the bunch. Ziatora turns your critters into damage even better than

and gets you a mana refund instead of a card refund. And it starts the same turn cycle!

Falco (lol) on the other hand does the Future Sight thing (lands sold separately) but with counters while being a 3/3 flampler for 4 with maybe (?) temporary indestructible. It's cheaper and beats down without being impossible to deal with while merging with other themes, a great combo for a multicolor card. Have I mentioned that I love how Shield helps bridge the gap between "white cards that want to build a board" and "white cards that want to sweep the board?" Also, Vivid lands' stock just went up and that's always a great thing.

@LadyMapi documentation of our forgetfulness is truly an everlasting torment, isn't it? ;)

kittkantomayhemdiva.jpg
henzietoolboxtorre.jpg
kamizobscuraoculus.jpg
perriethepulverizer.jpg

They're fun, for Kitt Kanto I would have to sharpie out the Goad text cuz I'm not playing multiplayer. (Probably needs a complete reword though). And I would have to sharpie out the bottom text for Henzie if I ever use them.
I think most of these cards look super mid, and not in a "fun in low power" kind of way. I think they have a lot of words and not a lot of substance outside of the Command Zone...

But my favorite is 100%
anhelothepainter.jpg

...except for Anhelo. I agree with you, this guy is pretty cool! I don't think he has the best rate but being able to copy all of your instants and sorceries is pretty great. You have to have some bears you're able to throw down the garbage disposal in order to actually copy the spells but I think of this is a card you're interested in adding some specific support is probably reasonable. Off the top of my head... illustrious historian could be kind of cool! Obviously, you'd need to be pretty low power for that one (more than most people even?) but it would be a funny combo if it made sense in the Cube.

Yeah, how I really hope he comes together is with stuff like rimrock knight, careless celebrant, bloodbraid marauder and maybe even storm god's oracle.
That's some heavy tempo. I wish prowess triggered before I chose which creature was the casualty though... Definitely better to look into magecraft and decayed.
I'd definitely need more instants in my red and black section though. Even just running burst lightning would be better for this archetype than firebolt (But the burning vengeance archetype never really worked for my cube soooo...)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
kittkantomayhemdiva.jpg

They're fun, for Kitt Kanto I would have to sharpie out the Goad text cuz I'm not playing multiplayer. (Probably needs a complete reword though).
Note that goad still works. The only difference is that in a two player format it always forces the target to attack you.

For cube purposes, it might play better if it read "At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, you may tap two untapped creatures you control. When you do, goad target creature that player controls. If you control that creature, it gets +2/+2 amd gains trample until end of turn."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You should

Begin with Iron Man (2008) and don't skip any movie in the timeline (except The Incredible Hulk)
You will thank me later
Maaaan, I don't have the time! That's, like, over 50 hours of movie time I could spend on fun things like reading a good book :D (I'm in book 3 of Frank Herbert's Dune series atm. A real joy to read!)

Edit: 86 hours including the series. And that's excluding the 95.2 hours for watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and 12.6 hours of Agent Carter even! (And I'm not even counting stuff like Cloak and Dagger.)

Last edited:
18ag3cjga9s81.jpg

Another set, another crappy land cycle. Why couldn't it have come into play untapped? Why couldn't it grab a non basic? As it stands it's pretty much strictly worse than an Evolving Wilds (for our purposes at any rate. Yes, 1 life is not nothing, but I think we can agree that it's a negligible upside unless we happen to have a lifegain theme which is relatively rare here especially when compared to landfall.). A sharpie will fix all these issues, of course, but at that point I'd just do the same to Evo Wilds and call it a day for brevity's sake.

This is not going to be a Marvel praise or a sales pitch, but..

Unless you have seen the storyline, then don’t announce if you think it is a waste of time or not. Because how could you possibly know. You’d just be doing weird shitposting. Be better.

Some Yu-Gi-Oh players share their opinions of Magic “The game is not good. It’s all about planeswalkers and they have no idea how to balance their game” but how could they possibly know if they have only played during War of the Spark through Ikoria: Lair of the Behemoth.

Lecture on topics where you are experienced. Praise your books or otherwise.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Unless you have seen the storyline, then don’t announce if you think it is a waste of time or not. Because how could you possibly know. You’d just be doing weird shitposting. Be better.
If it helps, I was just using a playful dig to to say watching a movie marathon simply isn't my cup of tea. Nowhere did I comment on the quality of the movies. Watching the entire thing might be a waste of time for me personally, but that doesn't mean I wanted to imply it a waste of time for everyone. I have heard (from you and from others) that the MCU franchise is absolutely fantastic, so if someone is into superhero action movies and an ongoing interconnected storyline, absolutely go watch it!

If you like reading classic space fantasy novels with a heavy dose of intrige, I do heavily recommend picking up a copy of the Dune series though. It's been a while since I was so gripped by a novel!

If it helps, I was just using a playful dig to to say watching a movie marathon simply isn't my cup of tea. Nowhere did I comment on the quality of the movies. Watching the entire thing might be a waste of time for me personally, but that doesn't mean I wanted to imply it a waste of time for everyone. I have heard (from you and from others) that the MCU franchise is absolutely fantastic, so if someone is into superhero action movies and an ongoing interconnected storyline, absolutely go watch it!

If you like reading classic space fantasy novels with a heavy dose of intrige, I do heavily recommend picking up a copy of the Dune series though. It's been a while since I was so gripped by a novel!
It's perfectly fine that you personally wouldn't want to watch them. Why would you think that I was talking to you specifically?
I personally like reading. If someone suggested to one of my friends that they start watching a certain TV show, I wouldn't comment on their conversation saying that I could personally be doing something better with me time, something fun, like reading :) And I especially wouldn't announce that it is objectively better to stay away. However if I for some reason actually had seen the TV show and thought it would never be in that person's interest to watch it, then I would be speaking from a point of experience. I obviously personally respect your choice of free time activity. However I have never heard a Magic player saying they don't have time to watch some movies when the story is long, deep and only gets better and better. Because the more movies there are, the better. It's a quality that there are many hours, not a downside. Everyone (who knows what they're talking about when it comes to MCU where Thanos resides) wish there were more content but Disney are doing everything they can to keep up the quality which takes time.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
However I have never heard a Magic player saying they don't have time to watch some movies when the story is long, deep and only gets better and better. Because the more movies there are, the better. It's a quality that there are many hours, not a downside.
As a father of two kids, an avid D&D player, and someone who enjoys casual computer gaming, I just don't have that much time for watching movies. Add to that the fact that my attention span for series is just not that big and the superhero genre not really being my thing, and you probably get why I choose to spend my time on other stuff. Even series whose premise I enjoy, like Enchanted, lose their charm after a few episodes for me. But that's just me, I'm fully aware there are plenty of people who do like watching series. The reason I reacted is because this is an open forum where any member can react to any post, and I happened to feel like sharing what I personally think of long ass movie series with a humorous note :p It's just banter, no harm intended!

By the way, the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series comes highly recommended by a colleague of mine who is a huge fan of the MCU. According to him it's more than well worth watching if you are into the movies.

I have a friend who forced me to watch some of the movies despite the fact that she knows that I absolutely detest superheroes. They were some of the dullest movies that I've ever seen.

I will never have those hours of my life back. Screw those movies.

She seemed utterly convinced that whatever movie she was taking me to was totally going to be the exception. Because she loved those movies, so why wouldn't I love them?

The one superhero movie she dragged me to that I ended up enjoying was Into The Spiderverse.

Into the Spiderverse is hardly a "Superhero movie" IMO. A coming of age movie? A journey of personal growth (for multiple characters)? Something like that. It just happens to involve various Spider-People.. And such an awesome animation style. Studios stop being cowards with animation please 2K22.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maaaan, I don't have the time! That's, like, over 50 hours of movie time I could spend on fun things like reading a good book :D (I'm in book 3 of Frank Herbert's Dune series atm. A real joy to read!)

Edit: 86 hours including the series. And that's excluding the 95.2 hours for watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and 12.6 hours of Agent Carter even! (And I'm not even counting stuff like Cloak and Dagger.)
Everything I've seen except Into the Spiderverse has been super passable, like, 'I'll only watch them if I'm alone on a flight and I already watched the 3 episodes of whatever sitcom they loaded onto this seatback screen', so I'm with you in the quest to never watch them.