General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

i was a big fan of You Are Already Dead, but it didn’t pan out. and i think this is worse. compare to Eaten Alive… it’s just not good if you can’t sac, which makes it a real tough sell, and that’s unfortunate.
if it were 2 and 2 i would be very much into it

EDIT; also Strangle is probably gonna be the best removal spell

magesattendant.jpg

More White counter spells are exactly what the doctor ordered, and this one slows down board wipes by a turn while coming attached to a 3/2!

magesattendant.jpg

More White counter spells are exactly what the doctor ordered, and this one slows down board wipes by a turn while coming attached to a 3/2!
That's broken for an uncommon

I actually very much like that white gets a little counter and a little draw here and there if done well. Taxing counterspells are fine in white I think. Especially if they stick with the cost always being {1}.

Well, it only delays board wipes for a turn if you can keep the one mana open, but szill, a very nice blink/token card. But I don't want to add three new tokens every set, wizards ...

Well, it only delays board wipes for a turn if you can keep the one mana open, but szill, a very nice blink/token card. But I don't want to add three new tokens every set, wizards ...
oh i FEEL this. i literally changed the rules text on Kaito just to not have him make yet another new token. my unique token cap is 40 and i’m sticking to it!

That's exactly why it's broken (for an uncommon) because when it's at its very best, it delays the board wipe a full turn. It's like Thalia except with twice as much power for twice the cost. But the cost can be split into two and it's an uncommon.

i am really not convinced the cat is broken at all.
if it’s in any constructed format that plays board wipes (IE rarity unrestricted) it’s competing with, AT WORST, Adeline and Spellbinder Elite for a slot. that’s standard.

if it’s in unrestricted cubes it’s competing with Blade Splicer for blink and Adeline for wide aggro.

if it’s in artisan cube, yeah, it’s pretty good and hits a lot of common artisan themes for Wx decks (blink, go wide, disruptive aggro, etc). i can see it being a top card for its color and mana cost there. and i’m very happy for that because right now the best white 3s in artisan are like… Priest of Ancient Lore and Abiding Grace. most are very interchangeable and not super interesting. but it’s really not broken. the thing that makes similar card Thalia great is you can continue to curve out and your opponent can’t. this card asks you also not to curve out, which is way worse until later turns when the opponent probably has more lands than you anyway unless they’re also on creature heavy aggro.

but again, it IS a great card for environments where it doesn’t have to compete with crazy bombs at same MV from the (not so distant tbh) past. i like it. i just don’t think it’s broken.

errantstreetartist.jpg

Errant, Street Artist - {U}
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Flash
Defender, Haste
{1}{U}, {T}: Copy target spell you control that you didn't cast. You may choose new targets for that copy.
0/3

Is it cubeable? I dunno. Is it a silly combo piece that someone is going to abuse? Yes.

EDIT: On the topic of Mage's Attendant, I get the feeling that, while it isn't broken, it will see a LOT of play in Limited and Standard.

Personally, I kinda want to try it in a 2-3-7 cube as a virtual 4-drop that makes your opponent play off curve.

EDIT EDIT: Am I the only person who thinks that Join the Dance is about to become a thing in Standard?

Last edited:
qjx65y4fais81.png

Speaking of which, damn. I'm loving this tendency to let aggro grind a bit. Is this better than Voldaren Epicure? It might be in a vaccuum, but I think the discard/artifact synergy is more important than the sac synergy for me, plus the control over the timing is more critical than the precise value. But I imagine this will get the nod in standard or a cube with a super low curve.

Yeah, I was thinking for your type of cube precisely. If the curve is low enough that you can always play the card then it's very very good. If not, being able to control the timing is probably more important. I love how 1/1 for 1 is becoming a relevant sizing again.

View attachment 6750

Speaking of which, damn. I'm loving this tendency to let aggro grind a bit. Is this better than Voldaren Epicure? It might be in a vaccuum, but I think the discard/artifact synergy is more important than the sac synergy for me, plus the control over the timing is more critical than the precise value. But I imagine this will get the nod in standard or a cube with a super low curve.

This will get a hard look from me. Always looking for red contributions to the sacrifice archetype. Will be besties with Vesperlark

Poll: do people care about card rarity?

Short answer: kinda?

Long answer: I don't run a rarity restricted anything, but I like buying cards when they're not outrageously expensive because the people at WotC deserve to get paid and rarity directly influences those prices. For example, I'll either proxy or forego anything that's too "rare" like some of the double masters borderless cards rather than buy them because I don't want to worry too much about the trouble of replacing game pieces if something were to happen to them. But if you're asking the question I think you're asking, I don't think it makes much of a difference in my evaluation of a card.

So if I'm reading it correctly, you still have to pay the mana for your newly tutored X+1 color creature... And you don't have to cast it that turn so you can stock up some creature for later.

Interesting.