General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

Weirdest card, seiously.

I'm not that high on Unluck Witness. It's not a real card on the front side (what is a 1/1 ever doing on the battlefield?) and you have so limited control over it's trigger. I guess it's a good card, but also feels kinda troublesome to get what you want from it.

witnessprotection.jpg

Maybe this effect is playable at 1 mana? I dunno.

But yeah, Evolving Door briefly made me super excited until I didn't see the words "without paying its mana cost".

evolvingdoor.jpg

What a weird card. What a weird, weird card.

This is terrible. Like realistically this is usually going to get a 3 drop saccing a 2 color creature, rarely a 4 drop saccing a tri-color creature. This is mostly a brick unless you've somehow assembled 5 color stuff and even then how many silver bullet type cards do you have for this? Worst of all I've got to then PAY for that exiled card after the fact. So I'm basically doing a shitty Birthing Pod with more restrictions, paying more mana overall, AND opening up more possible points of interaction.

If this isn't an 8 cent rare I'll be shocked.

The creature you get is color count restricted, not mana restricted. So it could be a 10 drop from a 2 drop. Still have to pay for it, so yeah not great, but
:edh:

The fact that it's color and not cost is why you have to pay. Otherwise you could slap out turn 4 or less Inkwell Leviathans or Worldspine Wurms off of a random eldrazi spawn or something (0 -> 1 color)

Honestly, I feel like it's less of a silver bullet card and more of a value card. You can use it to turn tokens into real creatures, which shouldn't be that tricky.

Mmm, I think comparing it to Pod is the wrong way to go about this. Instead, think of it as a Worldly Tutor once a turn every turn if you can set up a way to get free tokens, which isn't an impossible ask. That seems pretty good to me.

Obligatory

The creature you get is color count restricted, not mana restricted. So it could be a 10 drop from a 2 drop. Still have to pay for it, so yeah not great, but

The fact that it's color and not cost is why you have to pay. Otherwise you could slap out turn 4 or less Inkwell Leviathans or Worldspine Wurms off of a random eldrazi spawn or something (0 -> 1 color)

Wait, you're right. I misread it completely. I still don't think it's great because that's a strange condition but I guess it's not the worst. More cute than good. Having to still pay for the initial creature, 1 to sac, and then pay again to actually cast the new creature makes this a mostly crappy tutor with extra steps.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Please elaborate?
I mean, a card is just a card. The color of the symbol has no impact on gameplay. Rarity is just some thing contrived to sell packs. It has some relevance in the context of retail limited or defining format legality for something like Pauper, but outside of that it's pretty irrelevant.

Chief of the Forge {2}{B}{R}
Creature — Human Warrior
Whenever you sacrifice one or more other creatures, the Forge Chief deals 2 damage to each opponent. This ability only triggers once per turn.
3/4

I wish it said "permanents". Still, could this just be a great signpost for lower powered cubes?

pyromanceroftheflamingmallet.jpg

Pyromancer of the Flaming Mallet - {2}{R}
Creature - Viashino Shaman
{1}, {T}: Pyromancer of the Flaming Mallet deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of permanents you've sacrificed this turn.
2/2

Why are we wasting our time discussing the clearly inferior sacrifice payoff when we have this guy?

I mean, a card is just a card. The color of the symbol has no impact on gameplay. Rarity is just some thing contrived to sell packs. It has some relevance in the context of retail limited or defining format legality for something like Pauper, but outside of that it's pretty irrelevant.
Broadly speaking I agree with what you're saying here. Rarity is supposedly meant to have something to do with card complexity, but that has gotten somewhat muddled in recent years as complexity has increased across the board. Likewise, the focus of low-rarity cards has shifted from being simple for new players to be almost entirely focused on limited balance.

I don't think rarity is meaningless but I think what should or should not be considered a certain rarity depends on what the card "feels" like it should be.

6opx3lOGoiyujhN0lWRqo8szSoVPUCyTNPtI5jifvRg.png

Uh. Gang? What the heck?

As my guess is that this is going to do stone-cold nothing without a Planeswalker, the question is how many you'd need to make this a reasonable candidate. I'd guess four to make this card not dead and maybe seven before it gets good? I don't think it's worth it unless you want a superfriends control deck, bit it sure is wild.

True but it is defintely important in drafting and other limited formats.