General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

jinniefayjetmirssecondp.jpg

This actually seems like a really sweet card for token strategies — Dragon Fodder effects dumping 4 haste-y power or 6 vigilant power on the battlefield is nutty. It's a shame that the mana symbols are different sizes, though.

The mana symbols thing is KILLING me.

Anyways, to take it back to an earlier post I made on this thread, this is the kind of 3-colored card I like. It slots into plenty of already-existing strategies (there's a pretty good Jund token deck supported, for example), but it's also a one-card build-around that's not embarrassing as a contributor to a midrange deck either. It opens up new ways of exploring other cards without feeling stifling, and its mana cost, while challenging, maximizes its flexibility.

I adore Divine Visitation but it felt too narrow, and while I've had success cubing it on Arena, I didn't like such a hyperspecific card that's also a do-nothing 5 mana enchantment. This is the best version of the effect for the kinds of cubes I like to play, even if it requires two additional unique tokens, ugh.

...I don't really want to remove Zacama, Primal Calamity though...so I'll probably play both. Who's going to stop me?

View attachment 6760

Any new sacrifice outlet always has my attention. I like that this has lifelink to offset the cost to draw. How good this is probably depends on how easy it is to turn on that MV threshold thing.

This reminds me of Fain, the Broker in that it does a lot of things, those things are things I want to do in my cube, and I worry it's just not able to hold up to the sum of its parts. Too much text too; the "threshold" of this set will be fine digitally but will always require a second reading, it's fundamentally much much more complicated than Threshold proper, or even Delirium. Going to watch it closely all the same.

And there are both the arts! :p

cunningreceiver.jpg

Cunning Receiver - {W}{U}
Creature - Human Citizen
When Cunning Receiver enters the battlefield, choose a nonland permanent.
Activated abilities of the chosen permanent can't be activated.
Cunning Receiver has all the activated abilities of the chosen permanent, except for loyalty abilities. You can spend mana as if it was of any color to activate these abilities.
2/3

I really like this?? Not sure I'd prefer it to Dennick, Pious Apprentice, but it certainly competes for the same slot really well. Solid cubable hatebears are a passion of mine.

Angel-of-Anguish-SNC-672.jpg

This is sick. Please. Mill me. I've got plenty of cards in my library, and not enough in my graveyard.

I can't imagine it'd get drafted at all by anyone but me but today's spoilers are truly a cut above, @blacksmithy is right.

jinniefayjetmirssecondp.jpg

This actually seems like a really sweet card for token strategies — Dragon Fodder effects dumping 4 haste-y power or 6 vigilant power on the battlefield is nutty. It's a shame that the mana symbols are different sizes, though.
View attachment 6759

Ooh, now this is spicy. Notice it doesn't say 'creature tokens.' So, like, this into Thraben Inspector or Voldaren Epicure is pretty nasty.
I think this card is just good. You obviously need some number of token producers but I don't believe you need actual dedicated support outside of "good cards that make tokens." This can turn a single Gilded Goose into a 2/2 or 3/1 factory. It makes Tireless Tracker into a Felidar Retreat. It turns Felidar Retreat into Felidar Retreat but the tokens are Hasty or Dogs. It works well with the various Elspeth Planeswalkers. I want to put this into an Abzan Midrange deck with Blood Fountain. Play T2 Sylvan Caryatid, play Jinnie and Blood Fountain T3, make a token, and have the fountain activation up in case the elf dies.

I think this is good, but I want to hear Mr. multiple gilded goose @Dom Harvey 's opinions.

...I don't really want to remove Zacama, Primal Calamity though...so I'll probably play both. Who's going to stop me?
This seems like a mono-green card with upside, so you could play both without needing to cut the dinosaur ;)

fleetfootdancer.jpg

I think this is supposed to be the Siege Rhino... although it's really closer to Mantis Rider.

I'm not that big of a fan to be honest. I'm sure this card is fine, and it may even see Standard play, but I'm skeptical about its Cube prospects. The main reason why people are willing to take and play Mantis Rider is that they know how powerful it can be thanks to its tournament pedigree. Otherwise, I don't think a 3/3 French Vanilla creature would really "get there."

Now if this card does end up being good in constructed and becomes a "household name," it could be a reasonable inclusion. It has good abilities, it's almost like a Questing Beast with only 6% of the words. Sure, being 3 colors is a drawback, but as long as people recognize it as a card worth playing, it will be played.

One of the things this set is teaching me about 3-color cards (and honestly gold cards in general) is that even cards that should be good end up getting snubbed by the community because they're worried about casting the cards or don't want to cut something else to include them. The former problem tends to extend to players because even a really powerful 3-color card isn't going to draw their attention unless they think it's cool. This is why Cruel Ultimatum sees more play than Krosis's Charm. Even though the Charm is a powerful and piece of interaction, people don't play it because it's not really that cool and 3c is seen as a huge bloody barrier. Cruel Ultimatum, despite being nearly impossible to cast, is a favorite among some groups. Players will actually take this card and try to play it, despite the difficulties because it's super cool.

This card could totally be decent, but I think unknown golds have an image issue ;).

Last edited:
venomconnoisseur.jpg

Because I've always wanted to turn Raise The Alarm into a strictly-better version of Gilt-Leaf Ambush.

highparkpegasus.jpg

High-Park Pegasus - {G}{W}
Creature - Pegasus
Flying, trample
Whenever High-Park Pegasus deals combat damage to a player, draw a card if two or more creatures entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
2/1

Apparently swapping the generic mana in Mistral Charger's mana cost with {G} gives you trample and a conditional Saboteur effect. OK then.

Last edited:
It's only the second time a creature has had all three of those abilities after this guy:

It's this kind of card that makes me excited to play Standard tbh
That's good! Spark trooper is actually one of the first rares I ever opened.

Just FYI I added an addendum to my original post, and I expanded on my initial thoughts greatly.

1649840438343.png

This connives on etb and on death it gives -X/-X to an opposing creature, where X is it's power. This seems like a discard outlet with a lot of general value.

1649840585632.png

This creates a tapped 2/2 on death, and the second ability is Blitz. So if I understand this fully, I can cast this as a 4/4 haste, that then turns into a 2/2 and draws me a card on end step, while also providing a free sac. That seems really pushed for a common.

I don't like adding one-of abilities too much, but those are spicy cards.

1649852620071.png

Did we talk about this guy already? It's a pretty nice glue card. Note that the additional cost says 'or' and the ETB says 'and.' It's also a cast cost, so you can reanimate or flicker this to cheat.

That's a nice lower power reanimator payoff. Reanimating it both gets around the extra cost, and makes the effect a bit more punishing (if you can reanimate it ahead of curve)

This looks relevant to your interests, @LadyMapi.
Yep!

widespreadtheft.jpg

Widespread Theft - {2}{R}
Enchantment
Hideaway 5
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, create a Treasure token. Then you may pay {W}{U}{B}{R}{G}. If you do, you may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost.

I kinda wish that I had a higher multicolor density in the Capitalism Cube, just so that I could justify running this thing. Yes, I'm a little filled with spite at the comments sections on the spoiler sites I go to, where most of the posts are people whining about how it doesn't fit in their Treasure-themed EDH deck.

ognisthedragonslash.jpg

I feel like I'm posting every Treasure-producing card that hasn't already been posted by someone else. :p

That said... I'm actually a little disappointed by the Treasure cards we're getting, since a lot of them are "you did a thing? here, have some cash!" buildarounds. Like, take Ognis here — if I pulled a Stimulus Package and I'm drafting around that, Ognis isn't all that attractive (it's effectively just a Hoarding Ogre with haste). If I've drafted a bunch of Blitz cards, on the other hand, Ognis is going to be a sweet pick.

This makes building a cube around Revel In Riches being a legitimate win-con kinda tricky, since I basically run into either having too many buildarounds and not enough support, or too few treasure cards in general (which makes "I win by drafting all the removal and playing Revel Control" far more likely).

Dang it, WOTC! Why don't you ever think about my needs when you're designing cards that might fit into one of my cubes?!? It's just like how you made this utter blunder:

I want to include this cycle in Afternoon Delight, but only one of them is a 7-drop!