General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

Not for invested players who have been around, but I can't imagine getting into Magic nowadays as a new player. There is just way too much to process in a normal set.
The funny thing is that the main reason why WOTC has stopped worrying so much about complexity in new sets is because Commander and Arena are increasingly popular ways many people are introduced to Magic. If those two things weren't so popular, complexity would likely be a little lower.

To be fair though, I like that arena and Commander are as popular as they are, because it makes it easier to get a hold of Cube cards from the new Standard sets. It also means that random cards which would have been "junk" rares and mythics in the past are now worth actual money, despite the fact that they aren't usually that great. The only real downside is the added complexity and Legends being more prevalent but less powerful, both of which are reasonable sacrifices for cheaper staples in my opinon.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1649893371975.png

Love this art, 100% an EDH card but a cool one

1649893593200.png
The existence of this makes me think we're probably not getting a Dauntless Bodyguard but with shield counters.

1649893693424.png
This also looks interesting. "Basically" a 2/2 menace for 2, kinda has cycling, can contribute to power matters things if you want

The funny thing is that the main reason why WOTC has stopped worrying so much about complexity in new sets is because Commander and Arena are increasingly popular ways many people are introduced to Magic. If those two things weren't so popular, complexity would likely be a little lower.

To be fair though, I like that arena and Commander are as popular as they are, because it makes it easier to get a hold of Cube cards from the new Standard sets. It also means that random cards which would have been "junk" rares and mythics in the past are now worth actual money, despite the fact that they aren't usually that great. The only real downside is the added complexity and Legends being more prevalent but less powerful, both of which are reasonable sacrifices for cheaper staples in my opinon.

As someone who plays a lot of EDH, arguably my most played format over the years, while there are complex scenarios that can arise in a game I'd say that the majority of individual cards aren't particularly complex. Doesn't apply to weird niche cards, but "staples" that see a lot of play across various decks aren't inherently complex. Card interactions and multiple pieces working together can lead to some wild scenarios but unless you're dealing with funky layer stuff with older cards or various replacement effects, it's pretty easy to parse through via group input during a game.

I feel very differently about the insanely wordy cards we get nowadays or the continued use of named counters that don't really interact with things universally in main sets. I get what they're going for with added flavor or presumed depth, but I do think there are diminishing returns when it comes to newer players being comfortable. Strixhaven was the biggest offender, this set feels similarly clunky to me so far with mechanics. I think the biggest issue I see is how loose they've been with memory issues on cards in recent years. Like this abomination from a year back:

1649895575607.png

Thankfully this one was a commander card (and kind of shit) so you'll only ever run into it there, but effects like these that ask you to track something that they would have avoided in years past have started to leak over to main sets infrequently to the detriment of new players.

I just don't think complexity for the sake of complexity is particularly inspired design most of the time and unfortunately it seems to crop up more and more frequently. And I think if EDH is the main driver giving them a green light, then I think that's just yet another bad takeaway from Wizards based off of whatever data gathering methods they use (which I've always found to be dubious at best). They seem to make big changes to shake things up, not considering the long term ramifications, and then maybe roll them back. I imagine it's only a matter of time before they renege and bring back Core Sets for like 3-4 years before shelving them again. Like they did the last time.

Last edited:
Oh sorry, it's getting hard to tell whether people are being sarcastic or not when they're talking about the power level of new cards. Ever since the Professor and PK started talking about "artificial rotation" of eternal formats it seems like people bring up power creep with every other new card, even for things that probably aren't that great but are above average.

I'm not trying to be a prude :confused:;):cool:

It's best to assume that I'm shitposting a little at all times. ;)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
The rebate still doesn't make it cost {2}{G} though, you still need to have three mana in order to cast it. The extra value is nice and it helps you cast some bigger stuff in Pauper (maybe in the cascade deck? @Kirblinx ?), but I this doesn't have the same play patterns that a {1}{G} with the same stats but no treasure would.
Nah, I don't think this will see any play. Maybe in some sort of Burning-Tree Emissary deck, but 3 mana is so far away from 2 that the aggressive decks won't want it and it doesn't give any value so the midrange decks won't play it.

I still think Sarulf's Packmate is a better 3/3, and it is seeing little to no play as is.

Not for invested players who have been around, but I can't imagine getting into Magic nowadays as a new player. There is just way too much to process in a normal set.
It's Arena.

New players are mostly Arena players (Correct me if I am wrong. Anyone can pitch in here if they want)

And on Arena, the client handles all the rules and does half the work. So the player are just left with the decisions which all of us who have tried to play complex board games in real life and compare them to when you play them online, know there is a huge difference in how 'easy' it is to play.

If Arena didn't exist, the card would be a lot less complex, is my guess.

Last edited:
Depopulate

View attachment 6782

Feels a bit like Shatter the Sky from Theros Beyond Death that gives a card back to the player who are most likely to lose most on the board. In the average cube, this is most often a Day of Judgment which most often is a Wrath of God. I would either include this if I was:

Running a multicolored cube or
In need of redundancy and don't want to break singleton.
you know, i should probably give this a look, i’m up to 65+ gold cards now and may go to 75 to fit in 3 color stuff after new capenna drops. would love to be on esper control and draw a SECOND card off my Baleful Strix when i wrath

endlessdetour.jpg

This. I like this. It's a little hard to squeeze this into a deck, but if you can make the mana work...

citizenscrowbar.jpg

This feels pretty solid — it's basically an artifact Beskir Shieldmate with a TON of upside.

If it works like Aether Gust, the owner decides.

boxingring.jpg

So, looking at this from the perspective of rebuilding Afternoon Delight... I think I'm going to need to test this one out. Only having three CMCs means that it's much simpler to set up fights, after all, and the cube is intentionally designed to be mana-hungry (so the treasures would be appreciated).

If it works like Aether Gust, the owner decides.

boxingring.jpg

So, looking at this from the perspective of rebuilding Afternoon Delight... I think I'm going to need to test this one out. Only having three CMCs means that it's much simpler to set up fights, after all, and the cube is intentionally designed to be mana-hungry (so the treasures would be appreciated).
What a neat green card! G is most likely to have creatures at some spot on the curve that will win the fight, so you have this cool removal/ramp engine thingy. Nice!

4i7e2swy8it81.png

Would you rather have this or Benalish Marshal? I like the flexibility in mana cost of this cycle enough that the three pips aren't precluding them automatically like they did with the poor Marshall, who I think is the stronger card on the field.

I like that it triggers off attack, it works great with tokens looking to get chumped and makes your opponent walk into traps/combat tricks more often. While it's not going to have the insane upside of Edric, Spymaster of Trest, drawing cards to dig yourself into a solution to get past a wall of blockers is something I will enjoy doing. Power 1 or less would be a lot less annoying if Rigo had 1 power, though.

Also can't overstate how good the shield counter just feels on a card like this. I love it serving as the ultimate chump blocker if needed, ignoring its ability to dodge a piece of removal. I think I prefer the shield counter to a single combat ability, but having flying on this would've been ace.

Not sure I'll end up including it but certainly a fun card.

Sorry for the double post but HEY, it's time for my favorite card of the set so far!

subestimado.png

Tenacious Underdog 1B

Creature - Human Warrior (R)

Blitz - 2BB, pay 2 life.

You can cast ~ from your graveyard by using its blitz ability.

3/2

Comparable to Scrapheap Scrounger in a lot of ways, but I really like drawing the card from recasting this sexy sexy man from the 'yard, especially instead of exiling my other creatures. I wish it was a zombie like Wight (another card I loved with these stats that stuck around too short of a time) but I think this boy's got more staying power. Feels like a fixed Undead Gladiator.

Sorry for the double post but HEY, it's time for my favorite card of the set so far!

View attachment 6784

Comparable to Scrapheap Scrounger in a lot of ways, but I really like drawing the card from recasting this sexy sexy man from the 'yard, especially instead of exiling my other creatures. I wish it was a zombie like Wight (another card I loved with these stats that stuck around too short of a time) but I think this boy's got more staying power. Feels like a fixed Undead Gladiator.
yeah i was JUST complaining yesterday that WOTC doesn’t print good black creatures below 3 mana and here we go, Sulfuric Vortex meets Phyrexian Arena

View attachment 6784

Nice! This might replace Skyclave Shade for me.