General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

Tell me how you really feel.
I feel like I'll have a bunch of stuff to change around soon.

illuminatorvirtuoso.jpg

Is this the best Fencing Ace variant we've gotten?

en_ICprgx4BJ5.png

This is supposed to be a train conductor and she's... mediocre. I want to like this card, but it's just not there. It's got the potential to function as a cool engine piece, but the fact that it has to die (not leave the battlefield) in order to get the cards back makes this extremely susceptible to various flavors of non-destroy removal. Does anyone really want to lose half the cards they've been discarding because the opponent had Pillar of Flame instead of Shock?

I really wish people hadn't thrown a hissy fit over Korvold, Fae-Cursed King being good, because now pushed legends are seemingly illegal unless they're Happy Little Accidents Mistakes or Unplayable in EDH. Most of the legends from this set would have been significantly better with very minor changes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm still floored that mana cost is something WotC is doing. This seems like something I'd have given a "D+, see me after class" if someone asked for feedback on their custom card.

And it's a cycle

This is the second set in a row that almost doesn't have anything for me. I enjoy the art and aestetics but the cards are too complex and too multicolored. I might have to pick up some non-Grixis shard cards to balance out some things. I also want 10 lands so it's not nothing I am spending on this set.

landofMordor

Administrator
This is the second set in a row that almost doesn't have anything for me. I enjoy the art and aestetics but the cards are too complex and too multicolored. I might have to pick up some non-Grixis shard cards to balance out some things. I also want 10 lands so it's not nothing I am spending on this set.
That sounds like a pretty sweet position, tbh. You have the rare luxury of tuning a cube list without being interrupted by a whole cascade of shiny new cardboard changing the context of your format. Sisyphus might finally make it up the hill!

I'm still floored that mana cost is something WotC is doing. This seems like something I'd have given a "D+, see me after class" if someone asked for feedback on their custom card.

And it's a cycle

Yeah this set is a mess to read through on first glance. There are a handful of cool designs, but the vast majority of it feels like a very busy set. It feels Strixhaven-y to me which isn't particularly encouraging.

yeah i agree busy is a good way to describe the set. art is great though, i think it will be a blast to play on arena. will probably grab up the (4 that are actually good) fancy looking charms for my cube floating list at least, and there’s a couple simple strong designs ill be happy to have in my list.

I might be the only one here who's actually pretty excited for another set that focuses on Treasures as a mechanic (as you've probably gathered).
I never would have guessed that the owner of a treasure Capitalism Cube would be excited by a set with a major Capitalism treasure component ;)

1649757629298.png
Creature - Human Rogue

Lifelink

When Expert Rescuer enters the battlefield, return target creature with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature can't attack or block while you control Expert Rescuer.

The first CAP card I'm really considering. It seems terrific in cubes with either blink or graveyard themes, as well as providing some rebuilding options for aggro decks after removal or a boardwipe. Might be difficult to find which card to cut for it but that's a problem for future me.

I don’t know how good it would be for aggro to rebuild, as the returning card won’t be able to block until the rescuer dies. I do like the idea of blinking it, as presumably when it returns to the battlefield it counts as a new object and the creature returned from the graveyard can attack and block again.

The art bugs me, though. The rescued person’s face doesn’t look very childlike, making her seem like a tiny adult.

1649768526877.png

Also, this got posted a couple days ago but I didn't see any discussion on it. This is a pretty cool variation on a mana dork. It's probably at least as good as Prosperous Innkeeper, though obviously it intersects with different themes.

jinniefayjetmirssecondp.jpg

This actually seems like a really sweet card for token strategies — Dragon Fodder effects dumping 4 haste-y power or 6 vigilant power on the battlefield is nutty. It's a shame that the mana symbols are different sizes, though.

And there are both the arts! :p

cunningreceiver.jpg

Cunning Receiver - {W}{U}
Creature - Human Citizen
When Cunning Receiver enters the battlefield, choose a nonland permanent.
Activated abilities of the chosen permanent can't be activated.
Cunning Receiver has all the activated abilities of the chosen permanent, except for loyalty abilities. You can spend mana as if it was of any color to activate these abilities.
2/3

1649776752688.png

Any new sacrifice outlet always has my attention. I like that this has lifelink to offset the cost to draw. How good this is probably depends on how easy it is to turn on that MV threshold thing.