General Spaaaaace: To Unfinity and Beyond!

unknown.png

Prepare for unsolicited calls out the wazoo.

(@blacksmithy )

This is me, but like, starting from Khans block.
Theros , then Dominaria brought me back, then again but -way- worse with The Walking Dead, only for Dominaria United to sucker me again with that nostalgia bait. I'm onto you WoTC

nearbyplanet.jpg

Free domain on a single land? Sure!

I'm pretty sure this is fetchable too.
See, this is cool enough to build an entire peasant list around. 8+ copies of this instead of the usual common fixing, and like RGx Gates, UBx Deserts, single copy of each Urza's land and Cloudpost for a peasant Shops/Academy deck.

g3ne72fl2fp91.jpg

This is a rules nightmare, but a crazy finisher. I predict that this and Skullclamp will lose a lot of games accidentally. It's a shame that it costs 5 mana and then requires more to actually do anything, but its neat nonetheless.

pdqun77j2fp91.jpg
This one, on the other hand, sparks joy. It adds a new level of recursion with Scrap Trawler, buffs Sun Titan/Unearth and company by giving them more toys to play with, and turns Armix into a repeatable nuke.

Edit: oh man, this thing turbocharges Delve and Delium and grows the goyf. This kicks ass.

Last edited:
so many really good designs in this set. i’ve gone from “attractions are too fiddly” to “i want an attraction archetype and maybe i’ll run Wrench Rigger too”

I'm worried Magic is losing its magical hold over me... This set provokes nothing but apathy from me :oops: like, I'm actively not excited for it, to the point where I feel like it's a chore to follow the spoilers, so I stopped bothering.

Part of it might just be the insane influx of product in a shortened period of time. You don't even really get a chance to process the newest cards or spend time with them before you're swept into another set of spoilers or a special new release. We just finished Dominaria spoilers and this thread is already 4 pages deep (but also full of cards that are a chore to track or obnoxious in-game, so I'm just not playing a single one). It hasn't even been two full weeks yet. For me Un-sets are wholly uninteresting so I pretty much ignore these threads aside from browsing through now and again out of curiosity.

I used to be excited looking into potential gems for EDH or new commander options with every new set release, but the emphasis on EDH as a primary focus has made me completely disengaged the last two years. I can't even name a lot of the newer cards spoiled specifically for the format because unlike in the past where there was a dedicated product once a year where they'd push the envelope, there's a whole supplemental section with every set release nowadays. And an ass-ton of legendary creatures that I'll likely never see in a pod because they just kind of exist as weak product bloat.

I don't think it's feasible to keep up with sets like we could in the past due to there being so much product over a calendar year. They just don't feel special like they used to; not really anything to look forward to like 6-7 years back. Disengaging with Magic for longer stretches of time has been most helpful in keeping it fresh for me in recent years. I don't actually play much nowadays aside from Modern or Draft every now and then and a consistent webcam EDH night with friends every week or two where we can get 6-10 people stepping in and out over the course of an evening. That's it.

But I think that's a good thing; variety is necessary and you should definitely be exploring many things aside from Magic as the go-to hobby. Burnout is normal if you spend too much time on it. Made sense for me in college as a (mostly) broke student as a primary hobby, but I've got way more avenues for entertainment than I did at that time. Like I'll straight up ignore Magic when basketball and football are up and running (especially in Jan/Feb) or if I'm absorbed into binging a show or playing through a new game.

I don't much care for silliness for the sake of it, I enjoy predictable rules interactions, and the aesthetic of the set competes with Battlebond in terms of how little I like it, so my personal expectations for this set are very low. Exchange of Words is a pretty neat card, but the art looks like it's from a furry convention. We'll see if there ends up being any cards I'll consider giving a facelift, I don't think EoW gets there.
Look at this good boy! Even though the loyalty ability you activate when rolling the dice is random, 5/6 of the abilities are things you are always happy to do, and the other ability is usually reasonably useful. I think this card is sweet.
That text box honestly looks almost unreadable to me, but maybe it's better irl.

That text box honestly looks almost unreadable to me, but maybe it's better irl.
Plus the nonsense about the fact that the loyalty changes as an effect, not a cost. So many awful consequences for a design that's somehow both too wacky and also bland and unflavorful.

Plus the nonsense about the fact that the loyalty changes as an effect, not a cost. So many awful consequences for a design that's somehow both too wacky and also bland and unflavorful.
how is the card not flavorful? the naughty dog doesn’t obey, chases squirrels, digs things up, and bites people. sometimes he is hyperactive. the flavor is 100% on point to the concept for each ability on the card.

I'm worried Magic is losing its magical hold over me... This set provokes nothing but apathy from me :oops: like, I'm actively not excited for it, to the point where I feel like it's a chore to follow the spoilers, so I stopped bothering.
I agree. I feel like I'm sifting through sticker cards to find a card that might have rules I'll play.
Part of it might just be the insane influx of product in a shortened period of time. You don't even really get a chance to process the newest cards or spend time with them before you're swept into another set of spoilers or a special new release.
I've played three times since COVID started lol.
EDH ... there's a whole supplemental section with every set release nowadays.
I hate having to search for two "sets" per set.
Disengaging with Magic for longer stretches of time has been most helpful
I'm not likely to do this, but it would probably be beneficial to me. Every new set gives me so many cube ideas that it's overwhelming and there's a new set every month now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Part of it might just be the insane influx of product in a shortened period of time. You don't even really get a chance to process the newest cards or spend time with them before you're swept into another set of spoilers or a special new release. We just finished Dominaria spoilers and this thread is already 4 pages deep (but also full of cards that are a chore to track or obnoxious in-game, so I'm just not playing a single one).
You're forgetting Warhammer 40k which came in between :oops: