Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
en_YKtrpGddjt.png
en_Fod0dWBGuh.png

en_YLBxEBkb5h.png
en_9Gk59P6XdZ.png

en_vV0F3cJN6J.png

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...rst-lesson-introduction-strixhaven-2021-02-18

Japanese versions of the mystical archive cards will be available with alternative art. Unfortunately, I think these are only available in Japanese once again. That is very disappointing to me- I'd like to be able to use some of these cards in my cube, yet I can't unless I use proxied English versions.
nihonga_Demonic_Tutor.png
nihonga_Opt.png
nihonga_Swords_to_Plowshares.png

I like the art on Demonic Tutor especially. It has some World War II era propaganda vibes.

Lorehold Command rules, and is exactly the kind of card I want in Boros. Prismari Command is like a sexier version of Electrolyze, so I'm into it. I like Silverquill Command, but I wish it were an instant. Quandrix is a bunch of narrow effects that probably don't add up to being versatile enough, but Simic has gotten enough toys lately that I'm okay with that. I wish Witherbloom said -2/-2 instead of -3/-1, as it stands it's also likely too narrow. Still, I'm hyped for this set, despite Kaldheim still being fresh off the presses. Scroll Gatling Gun and Professor Bear have sold me.

EDIT -

I guess Quandrix Command is at its baseline bounce a creature, put two +1/+1 counters on a creature, which is probably a good effect. Not sure that's worth a gold slot, though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What in tarnation is a "mana value"??? (Siverquill and witherbloom)
My guess is that it's a new term that's going to replace converted mana cost.
They confirmed LadyMapi's guess in the spoiler stream. From Strixhaven on, "mana value" will replace "concerted mana cost". I think this is a fine, less words, more space for other stuff.

Notice the wording on Demonic Tutor. Also from Strixhaven onwards, "shuffle your library" will be replaced by "shuffle" (as well as "shuffles their library" by "shuffles", et cetera). Even more space saved"

In short, Trinket Mage's Oracle text will become: "When Trinket Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with mana value 1 or less, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle."

As for the commands, the on,y one I don't like is the Boros one, because it's too damn expensive. The BW one looks a bit sketchy to me, but I'll test it for sure. The other three are all very good I feel. That GU one has the potential for blowouts.

In short, Trinket Mage's Oracle text will become: "When Trinket Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with mana value 1 or less, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle."

One day, it'll be "Enters: fetch a tiny thing."

The commands seem a little too generic to me. Maybe they'll make more sense when we know the lore better.

Few thoughts:

I’ve used ‘then shuffle’ on my custom cards since 2012. Not taking credit or anything, just wanted to say this once.

The plane is called Arcavios. Almost unique that the set name doesn’t reveal the name of the plane when it’s brand new.

Pretty interesting cards to kick Strixhaven into life with. This set is going to be exciting to see unfold. I am very much looking forward to see what they do with the Modal Dual Faced Cards from Strixhaven.

We have new watermarks! And they look cool. Watermarks are actually quite rare in Magic because they are only used when the different factions wants to show the other factions that they belong in their respective faction. This is why there was no watermarks on Kaldheim or Alara because they had no reason to. It is also the reason why reprints don't have watermarks because they are no longer among the other factions so they no longer need to show their allegiance.

And finally and most importantly: I can’t wait for Zoss’s analysis of the Masterpiece frame! :) Like he did here:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/khm-kaldheim-official-previews.3196/page-9#post-95642

Silverquill Command seems really interesting in a weenie reanimator deck, since it can both help rebuild the resources with reanimation + draw card, but also open up for an alpha strike with the sac and pup+flying. I think card looks good!

Edit: How much would any of you bet on any strix cards getting a reprint in this set?

Kind of disappointed that, in what looks like kind of a guild-adjacent set, these don't signify that they are finding any new territory to explore with these color pairs.

edit: I'll grant that the boros card can sacrifice a permanent, so that's new.

I love this idea for limited, will be really cool to have another exciting slot in each pack you open and then have a demonic tutor or StP in your draft pool. Usually I'm also a sucker for sweet alternate frames, but heeere ... I thinks it's mostly the bright yellow elements that are putting me off. That's not a good color for magic cards imo.

Kind of disappointed that, in what looks like kind of a guild-adjacent set, these don't signify that they are finding any new territory to explore with these color pairs.

edit: I'll grant that the boros card can sacrifice a permanent, so that's new.

I don't think it means that these "houses" won't explore new design territory. These commands are a completion of the cycle of the DTK commands:

They were very generic, and it's natural that the Strixhaven commands follow their design.

I imagine they started by showing these commands so that the mechanics reveal were left to spoiler season.

I bet the "mana value" change has to do with the Quandrix, for example.

'mana value' sounds more flavorful than 'converted mana cost' so for that reason I'm in.
'mana value' is shorter than 'converted mana cost' so for that reason I'm in.

cutting 'library' from shuffling is less flavorful but shorter. Still a win for the game in the long run but a smaller win.

So someone on MTG Salvation thought of the same detail as I did. Here’s the quote for reference

The plane is called Arcavios. Almost unique that the set name doesn’t reveal the name of the plane when it’s brand new.

That user made a list of all the planes we have ever visited in order of first appearance. The bolded ones are the ones that fall into the category of being a new plane but with the set title not refering to the plane name.

Arabian Nights - Rabiah
Antiquities - Dominaria (with a sprinkle of Phyrexia)
Homelands - Ulgrotha
Tempest - Rath
Mercadian Masques - Mercadia
Mirrodin - Mirrodin
Champions of Kamigawa - Kamigawa
Ravnica: City of Guilds - Ravnica
Lorwyn - Lorwyn
Shards of Alara - Alara
Zendikar - Zendikar
Innistrad - Innistrad
Theros - Theros
Khans of Tarkir - Tarkir
Kaladesh - Kaladesh
Amonkhet - Amonkhet
Ixalan - Ixalan
Throne of Eldraine - Eldraine
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths - Ikoria
Kaldheim - Kaldheim
Strixhaven - Arcavios

All the sets you don't see named above are returning sets.

So someone on MTG Salvation thought of the same detail as I did. Here’s the quote for reference

That user made a list of all the planes we have ever visited in order of first appearance. The bolded ones are the ones that fall into the category of being a new plane but with the set title not refering to the plane name.

Arabian Nights - Rabiah
Antiquities - Dominaria (with a sprinkle of Phyrexia)
Homelands - Ulgrotha
Tempest - Rath
Mercadian Masques - Mercadia
Mirrodin - Mirrodin
Champions of Kamigawa - Kamigawa
Ravnica: City of Guilds - Ravnica
Lorwyn - Lorwyn
Shards of Alara - Alara
Zendikar - Zendikar
Innistrad - Innistrad
Theros - Theros
Khans of Tarkir - Tarkir
Kaladesh - Kaladesh
Amonkhet - Amonkhet
Ixalan - Ixalan
Throne of Eldraine - Eldraine
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths - Ikoria
Kaldheim - Kaldheim
Strixhaven - Arcavios

All the sets you don't see named above are returning sets.
I guess when the most interesting part of a World is the Wizard University, it makes sense to name the set after the School instead of the Plane!

Remember, Rose doesn't talk about Northfield, she talks about St. Olaf!

Although personally I find the most interesting part of Northfield to be the Minneapolis, Northfield, and Southern Railroad, not a Liberal Arts College. Seriously, have you seen their Dragons?!