General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Japanese versions of the mystical archive cards will be available with alternative art. Unfortunately, I think these are only available in Japanese once again. That is very disappointing to me- I'd like to be able to use some of these cards in my cube, yet I can't unless I use proxied English versions.
nihonga_Demonic_Tutor.png
nihonga_Opt.png
nihonga_Swords_to_Plowshares.png

I like the art on Demonic Tutor especially. It has some World War II era propaganda vibes.

I never pass up an opportunity to plug MY BRAND but some dedicated nerds did make english versions and hybrid versions of these if you want:

thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail

I know I'm about to complain about readability of frames in the TSR thread, but while those mockups are lovely, there's something about how the mana symbols and text boxes are integrated into the art in the Japanese versions that makes me go nuts for them. Is it possible to make an Opt and a StP more like the Tutor mockup--that is, with the transparent text box/title and preserving the full art? Great work, regardless!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm certain someone's done it, but this is what pulled up on MPC autofill.
There's a whole subreddit for this (link) and people have made a bunch, these are just what came up on the autofill site
You can 100% upload your own if you find (or create!) it

Edit: found a post for the DTutor. Here's a nice bonus:

X7gpEXJ.png

Mark Rosewater posted his Strixhaven Teaser the other day and I wanted to share some speculations. I'm not going to go over every point because most of them are impossible to gleam just from the tiny bits of information we know about the set. However, there are a couple of ideas I had which I am fairly confident about.
MaRo said:
A white card with the rules text “draw three cards”
I this ability is probably tied to some sort of downside, either sacrificing some number of permanents as on lorehold command or by being worded "you and target opponent each draw three cards as on" Farsight Adept. I have a hard time believing that they would print a white Concentrate with no strings attached.
MaRo said:
A planeswalker you know, but not as you know them.

An MDFC with the same card type on both sides that hasn’t been printed before.
While there are several Planeswalkers who could be the first character, I'm batching these two points together because I think that we will be seeing Rowan and Will, The Royal Scions, sharing an MDFC.

Will and Rowan's mechanical space has always been "weird ways of mechanically linking two Planeswalkers together." Canonically, the Twins have to Planeswalk together as they were born sharing the same Planeswalker spark. On the cards, this has manifested as them being the first Planeswalkers to use the "Partner With" mechanic and as them having the first Planeswalker card with two subtypes and characters. Given the context, I think it makes perfect sense to make Rowan and Will different faces of a MDFC.

I have no idea wether or not the Twins were to whom MaRo was referring to with the first clue. However, I think it could be interpreted as supporting the MDFC theory. We could also be seeing a new Garruk card. After all, he is supposedly Planeswalking the Multiverse with the twins right now to keep them safe while they learn how to become Planeswalkers properly. Perhaps he will join the Quandrix school to finish his education and learn how to use Blue mana to summon Sea Monsters?
MaRo said:
A cycle of enemy dual lands finishing off a ten-card cycle.
WOTC has actually been pretty good about finishing Dual Land cycles the last few years, to the point where the "good" dual land cycles have already been completed. There are only a few un-finished land cycles at this point. I think there are 4 likely options that stand out above the rest.

First are the Battle Lands. I think these are the most likely candidates. They are very popular budget fixing for commander, would improve the quality of fixing in the standard format without pushing it into imbalance (as they explicitly require basics to come into play untapped), and are generally reasonable cards with no major rules downside. Their status as fetchable duals that can theoretically come in to play untapped makes them slightly more interesting to people running non-budget mana bases compared to the other cards on this list.

Next are the Shadow Lands. These lands are less likely to be the cycle of choice given their lukewarm reception during Shadows over Innistrad standard and are not played much in Commander. Unlike the Battle Lands, which have been printed multiple times in Commander products, the Shadow Lands had their original printing and have not been re-printed since. However, they have good synergy with the Triomes and the Snow Duals, making them good options for standard mana bases. While I wouldn't count on the Shadow Lands being the land cycle, I would not be surprised about their return.

The Cycling Duals are unlikely to be in Strixhaven since we just saw cycling last year in Ikoria and the vastly superior Triomes are still in standard, however, they are still worth noting. These lands are very powerful and playable, and I believe their cycle will be completed at some point in the future.

Finally, I'd like to draw attention to the Storage Lands from Time Spiral. It is possible that MaRo's hint is a reference to an uncommon cycle of lands, and I think Strixhaven would be a great place to put a unique cycle of lands such as the Storage lands. The Storage Counters could be interpreted as storing knowledge to convert to mana at a later date. While unlikely, I think they are a great option.
MaRo said:
A futureshifted card (appearing for the first time in a premier set other than Future Sight)
There are several cards this could be, but fewer than one might expect. I think Spellweaver Volute is the most flavorful option given what we know about strixhaven so far. Blind Phantasm, Yixlid Jailer, Ghostfire, and Thornweald Archer are all Plane-Neutral simple and enough that they could conceivably be on Arvacous. Arcanum Wings could fit with a Wizard-themed world, provided the set has an enchantment element with Aura Swap. Finally, Edge of Autumn could be in the set if cycling returns. This could be the case if the Cycling Duals return as well. While a year between cycling printings is a little short, we did just have a one-year return with Sagas in Kaldheim returning exactly one year after Theros: Beyond Death. So it's actually a little more possible than I may have initially believed.

MaRo said:
A red sorcery that you can have as many copies in your deck as you want

Watch this be a Scorching Spear variant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are a bunch of rules text hints and creature type reveals in the post as well, however, I have no substantive speculations about any of those points. I would like to draw attention to the following creature type combinations:

MaRo said:
Creature – Turtle Druid
Creature – Frog Wizard
Creature – Eye Bat
I don't know what any of these will be, but I think I have an idea what the Eye Bat might look like:
527.png

Woobat

Thanks for reading!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There are several cards this could be, but fewer than one might expect. I think Spellweaver's Volute is the most flavorful option given what we know about strixhaven so far. Blind Phantasm, Yixlid Jailer, Ghostfire, and Thornweald Archer are all Plane-Neutral simple and enough that they could conceivably be on Arvacous. Arcanum Wings could fit with a Wizard-themed world, provided the set has an enchantment element with Aura Swap. Finally, Edge of Autumn could be in the set if cycling returns. This could be the case if the Cycling Duals return as well. While a year between cycling printings is a little short, we did just have a one-year return with Sagas in Kaldheim returning exactly one year after Theros: Beyond Death. So it's actually a little more possible than I may have initially believed.
I think the only futureshifted card that needs a reprint money-wise is Bitter Ordeal, but gravestorm seems like an unlikely reprint candidate here. Other options (besides the ones you mentioned) are:

YES Train! :D I didn't want to add MARO's teaser in here because I knew you would arrive with your thorough in depth analysis!
YES :D

- I think you're correct with our planeswalker twins.

- Ghostfire is most certainly not a plane-neutral card. It's a strictly Ugin card and the reason why it was only treated in Time Spiral block and Khans of Tarkir block through Ghostfire Blade.

- I think it's a cool idea you had with the Storage lands. They're 'long overdue' to use a Magic fanbase term and it would make perfect sense.

- I also expect the red card you may have as many as you want to be a burn spell. I kind of hope it is more of an overcosted Flame Burst. Overcosted enough to not really be a proper deck.

Yeah, I'd actually love to see the storage cycle completed. Another cycle someone mentioned on the German forums: the Odyssey filter lands, or signet lands.

I think the only futureshifted card that needs a reprint money-wise is Bitter Ordeal, but gravestorm seems like an unlikely reprint candidate here. Other options (besides the ones you mentioned) are:

You know, I was looking at these three cards, but I don't think they're very likely, which is why I didn't mention them. Nix does something very specific and odd. I can't see a reason why WOTC would want to reprint it in standard at this time (barring a free spell mechanic we haven't seen yet). Patrician's Scorn, as a potentially free spell, doesn't seem like something that would be healthy for standard, although it's effect is niche enough that it's probably fine. Centaur Omenreader is a snow creature, so it probably won't be reprinted unless Snow is in the set.

I failed to mention Spellwild Ouphe and Imperiosaur. I think these are both unlikely but I see no reason why they couldn't be in the set, especially if Ouphes or Dinosaurs are part of the world.

Someone on MTG Salvation's global spoiler thread also mentioned that MaRo's wording implies that the card has already been reprinted somewhere, just not in a main set:
MaRo said:
A futureshifted card (appearing for the first time in a premier set other than Future Sight)
So that could theoretically mean that the card has had a reprint before, eliminating several options. If that's the case, it means that Bonded Fetch has a chance of being the reprint.

Frankly, this hint is just a big troll because there are so many potential options. While only a few reprints make sense, WOTC could reprint any of them.

YES Train! :D I didn't want to add MARO's teaser in here because I knew you would arrive with your thorough in depth analysis!
YES :D

- Ghostfire is most certainly not a plane-neutral card. It's a strictly Ugin card and the reason why it was only treated in Time Spiral block and Khans of Tarkir block through Ghostfire Blade.
Thank you!

So even though Ghostfire is Ugin's magic, other people can cast the spell Ghostfire in the canonic lore. The first time we saw someone cast Ghostfire in Magic's story was during Zendikar block during the Worldwake story. Chandra's normal pyromancer magic wasn't working particularly well because Zendikar's mana has odd properties, so she tried using Ghostfire during a battle with Jace and Sarkhan.

According to a MaRo blog post, the people at Strixhaven probably know of the larger multiverse (or at least that other worlds exist), so it's not a stretch to say that they have access to spells cast by famous Planeswalkers.

So while it is true that Ghostfire is an Ugin-Related card, other people can use the spell as long as they know it exists.

Having said all of that, I think it's the least likely card of the "Plane Neutral" cards I listed, simply because it is tied to Ugin. I just don't see a reason why the most famous Wizard School in the multiverse that has at least some vague understanding of other worlds couldn't have access to an important spell like Ghostfire.

So even though Ghostfire is Ugin's magic, other people can cast the spell Ghostfire in the canonic lore. The first time we saw someone cast Ghostfire in Magic's story was during Zendikar block during the Worldwake story. Chandra's normal pyromancer magic wasn't working particularly well because Zendikar's mana has odd properties, so she tried using Ghostfire during a battle with Jace and Sarkhan.

Having said all of that, I think it's the least likely card of the "Plane Neutral" cards I listed, simply because it is tied to Ugin. I just don't see a reason why the most famous Wizard School in the multiverse that has at least some vague understanding of other worlds couldn't have access to an important spell like Ghostfire.

Worldwake IS Ugin. Remember how the Eldrazi was trapped on Zendikar?

BEA227CA-5B92-4A02-BCBA-DA3729895DF3.jpeg

(Notice the set logo on the Ugin-land)

It’s one of the least plane-neutral spells in the game.

I also think Ghostfire could be in the set. Or in their Mystical Archive or whatever they’re calling it. I just wanted to mention again that Ghostfire is not a plane-neutral spell.

Ugin is not physically on Zendikar during worldwake, and the Eye of Ugin is just a hedron (made by Nahiri, not Ugin). But the ghostfire magic is special to him. Chandra only knows of it because she stole a scroll describing it's usage from Kephalai. Unless Strixhaven is on Kephalai, I don't see a particularly compelling reason they would know how to use Ghostfire, unless they gained that knowledge via interplanar means from the same scroll Chandra eventually stole.

Kasmina-Enigma-Sage.jpg
Professor-Onyx.jpg

Kasmina could be interesting in a cube running a bunch of the uncommon planeswalkers from WAR.

I will leave "Professor Onyx" here without comment.

Ugin is not physically on Zendikar during worldwake, and the Eye of Ugin is just a hedron (made by Nahiri, not Ugin). But the ghostfire magic is special to him. Chandra only knows of it because she stole a scroll describing it's usage from Kephalai. Unless Strixhaven is on Kephalai, I don't see a particularly compelling reason they would know how to use Ghostfire, unless they gained that knowledge via interplanar means from the same scroll Chandra eventually stole.

They have their Masterpiece reprint chase set as part of Strixhaven. That’s the only place I could see it reprinted in this set. Like they reprinted Demonic Tutor there. They could also put it in the main set if Ugin is somehow involved. There are Elder Dragons in this set so who knows :p

So new keyword: Magecraft
Can probably function well with prowess decks

Maybe not this particular card because it’s black and expensive to cast.

Edit: Onyx is Liliana under cover. Hiding from all the fallout from her treason during The War of the Spark. The typeline reveals her.

Both more and less flexible prowess. It triggers on copying instants and sorceries which prowess doesn’t. However it doesn’t trigger on artifacts, enchantments and planeswalkers that prowess do.

Ravnic
I agree Replicate has so much potential left. It could also easily expand beyond Izzet which is where it originated in Guildpact.

kasminaenigmasage.jpg

professoronyx.jpg

For posterity, Mapi's links are broken on my end

Also why was this card previewed by Danny Trejo?
Also also this card's nickame is now "Lilianna of the Yale":

Danny Trejo is super into Magic, oddly enough. There was a commercial for Arena with him and Day9 a couple years ago.

Edit: (actually)fixed the link.