the 180 Jeskai Cube

the Jeskai Cube
180 cards / 2-4 players

Background

I built several cubes these past few years, but rarely play them with more than 3 players. This is problemetic for color competition during the draft, where one of us generally has a whole color to themselves. The common ways to mitigate this (like burning cards throughout the draft) slow the drafting process down too much, so instead I decided to exclude two colors from the cube. We'd have an increased chance of color overlap and more cutthroat drafting as a result.

And it works! :D

I'm not a competative player or experienced cube builder. I also draft the cube less that I'd want, but update it generally after ~3 plays. If you find cards in the list that lie far outside of its power band, that's probably why. Drafting is fun, and I'd like to streamline it as much as I can, which is in part why I've joined this forum. If you find the time, let me know what you think!

Design Principles

• Budget: I like to keep the cube affordable by having a loose rule of every cards costing less than €2,00 (yeah I'm Dutch so euros it is). This way my friends don't have to be too careful with my cards.
  • Medium Power: Not only because of the budget, as I feel lower power also gives more potential cards. Both high-power (un)commons and low-power rares are welcome. Combos are avoided, so a general aggro-midrange-control triangle keeps the balance.
  • Non-Parasitic: The cube is small, so every card has a place in multiple decks. All themes are broad, and present are represented in all 3 colors to provide opportunities for cross-pollination and each color to interact differently with that theme. Synergies strengthen the interaction between cards but shouldn't be necessary to make them playable.
  • Unambiguous: The boardstate should be clear, which is mostly relevant for counters and tokens. The Jeskai Cube has only +1/+1 counters for creatures, and tries to avoid two kinds of counters on the same permanent. The cube also aims to avoid token creep and contains a few different ones. In addition to that, creature types don't matter (except for Golems), so many tokens are interchangable.
  • Color Combinations: Fewer colors means fewer color combinations means fewer deck possibilities. Although this is inevidable with fewer cards, it can be mitigated by making mono-colored decks viable. Seven color combinations (White, Blue, Red, Azorius, Izzet, Boros, Jeskai) would provide plenty of replayability.
  • Aesthetics: All cards have a modern border (preferably m15+). No promo's or weird card frames. Card frames with weird orientations like flip cards, double-faced cards, Aftermath cards or split cards are excluded too

Themes

{W} Aggro is often seen as the deck that keeps a cube in check. Because of the size of mine, I'd like most of my aggro payoffs to be roleplayers in other kinds of decks as well. Giant Slayer and Faerie Guidemother, for example, have an adventure side to them as well, but still fit in an aggro shell. This does make aggro decks slower than norma, but I feel like that's a necessary sacrifice to make in a 180 cube. Blue can support this with evasive threats like Spectral Sailor, while read can bring some damage through Electrodominance

{W} ETB is supported by blinking creatures and returning them from your graveyard. In a way, this can also help an aggro deck get a little more resilience. White has a few army-in-a-can threats like Blade Splicer that can be utilized by aggro, ETB, or both. These kinds of cards can also be found in Blue and Red.

{U} Flash is a nice theme to support because it leads to more reaction and insteraction. Half of the Blue section consists of instant spells, with some additional creatures with flash to boot. Both Red and White have similar, although less extreme, setups. Add Cycling or Clues to that mix and a Blue player has a broad ray of opportunities to do stuff during their opponents' turns. Rewind might be my favourite kind of synergy with this strategy, as it's solely useful if you have something to follow the untapping of your lans.

{U} Drawing cards is useful regardless, and gaining additional benifits when doing it makes you feel even more powerful. While there's a few ways to add payoffs to a cube, my favorite (recent) kind of payoff is the "draw two cards a turn" as can be found in Ethereal Investigator or Faerie Vandal. It makes cards like Witching Well fell like enablers. Especially red has a lot of enablers here; see Faithless Looting. White lacks a little in carddraw to contribute much.

{R} Artifacts are amazing, and Red likes to both sacrifice and revive them. Goblin Welder has left my cube with this update, but I try to keep his kind of effect active. Goblin Engineer or Daretti, Scrap Savant give similar vibes, but bring something unique to the table too. It gives Red an opportunity to create all kinds of incremental value engines. White and Blue house some artifacts to help support this theme in their color as well.

{R} Discard goes hand in hand (heh) with carddraw. Cycling is a good example of this, but looting effects in general are quite present throughout the cube. This also combines quite nicely with the artifact (graveyard) strategies Red has. In general this theme is bolstered by the abundance of looting effect Red has received, which is nice. Blue supports this with most of its carddraw shenanigans. Underfortunately White is a little lacking here as well, although cards like Seasoned Hallowblade support it a little.

{W/U} Golems are brought by Azorius, which has some overlap with the ETB strategies in White and artifact strategies in general. I've added a lot of creature that are apparently Golems, like Gingerbrute and Guardian Idol. They also work with the Modular theme in Boros.

{U/R} Spell Velocity is best summarized through Sprite Dragon. It's a very soft theme because the synergies between Blue and Red are already quite strong through their shared looting-related themes, which coincidentally support that spell velocity deck quite well.

{R/W} Modular in general is a very interesting mechanic to build around, as it works with artifacts, recursion and +1/+1 counters. There's a lot of opportunities for overlapping strategies and multifunctional cards there.

Changelog

24-06-2021: Today I reduced the cube from 250 to 180 cards. I have a plan for a few changes down the road, for which I have to order a few cards in. Generally my main aim right now is to clean up any unplayable cards and tighten up the power band. I assume there's one or two pet cards that really shouldn't be here, or a theme that's barely supported but I cut yet.
06-12-2021: Today I homogenized the landbase to make the battlefield easier and draft a little simpler. The tiny difference between lands currently adds little but confusion. I broke singleton for Ash Barrens and Hall of Oracles; each has 5 copies in the cube noew. Fixing is different in 3-color cubes with 2-4 players, and this is my way of testing a mana fixing variant. Ihope to simplify the cube even further in the next update
05-03-2022: I updated the themes of this cube.

Last edited:
Modern Horizons 2 and the recent discussions on discord inpired me to brew all kinds of different cubes. I've also experimented with bringing an enchantment theme to the Jeskai cube, but concluded that's a little too rich for a 180 card cube. MH2 and AFR do provide a TON of new options for the current setup, though! I feel like I might've even missed some gems.

Includes

The bridges! Razortide Bridge, Rustvale Bridge & Silverbluff Bridge are all awesome due to the many artifact interactions in the cube. Artifact lands used to be fragile, but the indestructible part of these bridges fixes that. They will be my second set of come-into-play-tapped fixing lands and thus slow down multicolored decks somewhat. I might have to revisit the manabase sometime in the future if it proves too much.

Dancing Sword, Dueling Rapier & Plate Armor are really neat colored equipments that feel right on the power level I'd like in the cube. They'll probably push out some colorless cards, as the artifact density of the cube is skewing too high if the amount of colored artifacts increases. Barbed Spike is another include, although I consider that a creature slot. I'm not sure on the exact cuts yet.

Oswald Fiddlebender finally gives the Jeskai cube its own Birthing Pod! It also plays very well in both white's artifact theme and (weenie) graveyard shenanigans. White two-drops might be the most contested slot in the cube, but I feel like this fiddlebender might be a one-man archetype that fits in a lot of decks and really spices up your draft.

Portable Hole replaces Glass Casket as artifact removal.

Junk Winder replaces Hands of Binding as the cube's freeze effect.

Dermotaxi replaces Smuggler's Copter as a (slower) 2-drop vehicle.

Breya's Apprentice replaces Thopter Engineer as the 3-drop thopter maker.

Rise and Shine replaces Ensoul Artifact as a artifact animater.

Dragon's Rage Channeler replaces Spikeshot Elder as a red one drop.

Liquimetal Torque replaces Mind Stone as a mana rock that enables more artifact synergies!

Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar replaces Tandem Lookout as a better version of itself.

Maybe

There's a few reasons why cards initially interest me without them making the final cut. Here's their review per reason:

Monk of the Open Hand & Captain Ripley Vance give new avenues to a spell velocity deck; something not directly implemented in the cube, but kinda present due to prowess(-like) effects and card like Shrine of Burning Rage. It feels like an obvious direction for the UR deck to go, but I want to hold off on going all out. Grand Master of Flowers might make a nice addition here too (while a little powerful... maybe...)

Monk Class & Sorcerer Class play into this as well. With Fighter Class already on brand for the cube, this adds a nice little class package without classes being a one-off addition.

Arcbound Whelp, Arcbound Javelineer, Arcbound Tracker, Arcbound Shikari & Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp make me consider adding a modular theme. It works with artifacts, sacrifice, and might even enable +1/+1 counters as a theme. This would also make Monoskelion or Ornithopter of Paradise a nice consideration, whereas the +1/+1 counter theme also has overlap with the equipment theme

As explained in the cube's primer, I like to use as few different tokens as possible. This means I've passed on a few cards that would normally be considered, and might be considered again if I either find more card with those tokens or change my token philosophy. Hard Evidence, General Ferrous Rokiric & Late to Dinner are examples of this. Battle Cry Goblin has a similar porblem, in that I represent all my red 1/1 tokens with the same token for simplicity, so it wont be clear which of them will be Goblins and which might be Elementals. Nettlecyst and Batterbone are interesting too, and actually make me consider adding more living weapons to the cube.

Timeless Dragon and Thought Monitor I consider too powerfull, although I might be wrong on both. I'll pick them up and test them at some point, but they won't be in the initial batch. Rod of Absorption might also be in this category, although I find it difficult to evaluate the card. Right now it's a little pricy, so I'll determine if it's too powerful based on its price drop or rise :)

Some cards would be added if I had more room, but will be picked up for when I want someting different for a slot or adjust certain effects. Bloodbraid Marauder, for example, is trumped by all other red two drops because the cube doesn't support delirium (yet). Some of these evaluations might be wrong or dependant on my cube, but are just based on initial reactions.

Thraben Watcher is trumped by Master Splicer

Said // Done is trumped by Mission Briefing

Fast // Furious is trumped by Thrill of Possibility

You See a Pair of Goblins is trumped by Rally the Peasants

You Find Some Prisoners is trumped by Abrade

Silver Raven is trumped by Hope of Ghirapur

Priest of Ancient Lore is trumped by Bygone Bishop

Minimus Containment is trumped by Cast Out

Abiding Grace is trumped by Return to the Ranks

Faithless Salvaging is trumped by Faithless Looting

Revolutionist is trumped by Crimson Fleet Commodore

2021 in review: I haven't been able to cube much in the past year for obvious reasons, but have been updating it a few times. I hope to play it a lot more in 2022, although I find that managing the cube has been a pleasant hobby in these times of peril. It's always hard evaluating a year with so few plays, as there's a lot of cards on the side bench that I really want to try out and might evolve the cube into a different direction. For now though, 32/180 of my cube consists of 2021 cars, which is almost 20%! It's been a good year.

Kaldheim: 3 adds

Not the best set for the cube, mostly because it wasn't very spell focussed or artifacts focussed. Both Clarion Spirit and Vega, the Watcher were the closest thing to spells matter in the set and have been added both.
Favorite card: Vega, the Watcher
Biggest Maybe: Showdown of the Skalds

Strixhaven: 5 adds

A lot of potential here, both because of the spellslinger theme and strong enemy-faction theme. Unfortunately, the Lesson/Learn mechanic is just a little weak for my taste. Magecraft has been the biggest win here. However, of all 2021 sets, Strixhaven has the most "maybes". I expect some may sneak on my main list in 2022.
Favorite card: Storm-Kiln Artist
Biggest Maybe: Archmage Emeritus

Modern Masters: 10 adds

The commons and uncommons were at a perfect power level for the Jeskai Cube. Moderns Masters revealed what kind of power level I like it to be. On top of that, each of its Jeskai draft themes fit really well into my own themes. The artifact theme received a whole new subtheme in Modular! 10 adds is a lot for a 180 cube, so this was the best set of 2021 for me.
Favorite card: Dragon's Rage Channeler
Biggest Maybe: Kaleidoscorch

Adventures of the Forgotten Realms: 5 adds

A big boon for the white section in the cube (4 adds!), with the entire added section being equipment-themed. I really did not expect this going into a D&D set, especially since most mechanisms were total misses for me. I'm glad the Jeskai Cube isn't too niche to suffer from too many inconsequential releases.
Favorite card: Oswald Fiddlebender
Biggest Maybe: Monk of the Open Hand

Innistrad: 5 adds

I added both Innistrad releases under one because they added similar content. For a moment I debated added Day/Night (with the cards that care about it transformation) to the cube as it plays in line with what I want the cube to be. I just adds so much bookkeeping and rules text on cards that it's really not worth it.
Interestingly, all adds from both sets are blue. Also, 4/5 produce kinds of tokens already present in the cube (Spirits and Clues), which incidentily drove out another kind of token (Drakes). I don't know why, but this has made me immensly happy. It just feels tidier this way.
Favorite card: Whispering Wizard
Biggest Maybe: Homestead Courage

Fixing Lands: breaking singleton

I've made the step to breaking singleton by decreasing the amount of different fixing langs to 2, with each having 5 copies in the cube. This means I categorize 1/18 of my cube as fixing lands, which can be supplemented by some artifacts. Although I might change the specifics around these lands, like which one and how many I run, I do believe I like this new apporach.

Ash Barrens: I like that this land can fix any color combination, but is (probably) still better in two-color decks. This makes less cards dead in draft when no player plays the specific colors that lands fixes. I also like how it can come into play untapped if needed, fixes mana at instant speed, and plays into discard shenanigans within the cube. 10/10 would ash again.

Hall of Oracles: These aren't mainly fixing lands, more utility. But they can fix mana, so I'll see them as such anyway. One thing to realize is that 3-color decks are this cube's 5-color (goodstuff) decks. I think it's okay to dissuade players from going more than 2 colors. On top of that, the hall incentivizes slower play patterns anyway and might be able to shine in those. It nicely combines spellslinger decks with +1/+1 counter strategies.

Downsizing: 180 cards
I mostly play this cube with 2, which means either Winston drafting (seeing 90 cards) or Grid drafting with 14 packs (seeing 126 card). At 250, this meant that we would only see 35-50% of the cube at once. As synergy-driven as it is, this just didnt work very well. I chose to downsize back to 180 cards, which is perfect for 4 players anyway (we even played with 5 players once) and lets us see 50-66% of the cube. I also noticed that I was adding less cards from new releases than I was expecting, which I honestly think is great!

Next Year: 2022
As far as new years resolutions go, I've got a few:
- Add a Green Module that let's me play the cube with more players (5-6), while also letting me play 2-4 players in the same way I do now.
- Simplify the cube enough to be able to play it with novice players (Grid drafting helps with this as well, as I can explain mechanics).
- Iron out the main themes of the cube and provide enough cards that fit in multiple of these.
- Play more Magic :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

@ellogeyen , i think that Ultimate Guard's 2022 exclusive 266+ twin flipNtray is great for holding 180 cube + small set of possible inclusions + lands + tokens/dice/counters.
Ooh nice, I had previously bought this for my girlfriends' Commander decks but never though about using it for cube!

This year I'm aiming to 'complete' my cube by collecting all tokens, counters and dice I might need. I was considering maybe my own cube box, but this is much easier :)

Thanks for the tip!

With Kamigawa entering the stage, I've decided to work on two of my new year's resolutions: simplifying the cube and ironing out it's main themes. NEO itsself has added 8 new cards to the 180 cube, which is more than 4% of the cube now. This puts it on par at second place with MH2, although both are still dwarfed by ELD (with 16 cards).

Main Themes
Each color has been given 2 main themes. Support for the monocolored themes can be found in every color, although the enablers are only in its main color and in artifacts. Each color pair has been given an additional theme that is a little more obscure and can realistically only be drafted when you draft both. In general though, the overlap between these themes (hopefully) makes a whole range of different decks viable.

&

Aggro is often seen as the deck that keeps a cube in check. Because of the size of mine, I'd like most of my aggro payoffs to be roleplayers in other kinds of decks as well. Giant Slayer and Faerie Guidemother, for example, have an adventure side to them as well, but still fit in an aggro shell. This does make aggro decks slower than norma, but I feel like that's a necessary sacrifice to make in a 180 cube. Blue can support this with evasive threats like Spectral Sailor, while read can bring some damage through Electrodominance

ETB is supported by blinking creatures and returning them from your graveyard. In a way, this can also help an aggro deck get a little more resilience. White has a few army-in-a-can threats like Blade Splicer that can be utilized by aggro, ETB, or both. These kinds of cards can also be found in Blue and Red.

&

Flash is a nice theme to support because it leads to more reaction and insteraction. Half of the Blue section consists of instant spells, with some additional creatures with flash to boot. Both Red and White have similar, although less extreme, setups. Add Cycling or Clues to that mix and a Blue player has a broad ray of opportunities to do stuff during their opponents' turns. Rewind might be my favourite kind of synergy with this strategy, as it's solely useful if you have something to follow the untapping of your lans.

Drawing cards is useful regardless, and gaining additional benifits when doing it makes you feel even more powerful. While there's a few ways to add payoffs to a cube, my favorite (recent) kind of payoff is the "draw two cards a turn" as can be found in Ethereal Investigator or Faerie Vandal. It makes cards like Witching Well fell like enablers. Especially red has a lot of enablers here; see Faithless Looting. White lacks a little in carddraw to contribute much.

&

Artifacts are amazing, and Red likes to both sacrifice and revive them. Goblin Welder has left my cube with this update, but I try to keep his kind of effect active. Goblin Engineer or Daretti, Scrap Savant give similar vibes, but bring something unique to the table too. It gives Red an opportunity to create all kinds of incremental value engines. White and Blue house some artifacts to help support this theme in their color as well.

Discard goes hand in hand (heh) with carddraw. Cycling is a good example of this, but looting effects in general are quite present throughout the cube. This also combines quite nicely with the artifact (graveyard) strategies Red has. In general this theme is bolstered by the abundance of looting effect Red has received, which is nice. Blue supports this with most of its carddraw shenanigans. Underfortunately White is a little lacking here as well, although cards like Seasoned Hallowblade support it a little.

& &

Azorius brings some Golem action, which has some overlap with the ETB strategies in White and artifact strategies in general. I've added a lot of creature that are apparently Golems, like Gingerbrute and Guardian Idol. They also work with the Modular theme in Boros. Modular in general is a very interesting mechanic to build around, as it works with artifacts, recursion and +1/+1 counters. There's a lot of opportunities for overlapping strategies and multifunctional cards there.

Then Izzet, which provides a spell velocity deck, best summarized through Sprite Dragon. It's a very soft theme because the synergies between Blue and Red are already quite strong through their shared looting-related themes, which coincidentally support that spell velocity deck quite well.

Simplify
If play with novices (or people who haven't been playing Magic for a while) often enough that I want to reduce to cognitive load of the cube as much as possible. Both decreasing the number of keywords and increasing the amount of cards using a single keyword help in this regard. A few months ago people on this forum wrote about the (amount of) different keywords present in their cubes, and I'd like to replicate that here. I excluded evergreen keywords, and tried to defend each keyword's inclusion:

Top Keywords:
  • Hybrid mana (19 instances): this might hardly be a keyword, but certainly isn't evergreen yet. {W/U}{W/U}{W/U} sit at the center of the kind of cube I want the Jeskai Cube to be, as they can subtly exclude a color, which brings more variety in deckbuilding. This is especially true for card like Dominus of Fealty with full Hybrid mana costs. I don't see this keyword ever moving out of the cube.
  • Cycling (12 instances): amazing keyword. It supports two of the themes in this cube (carddraw and discard) and gives more modality to spells. The fact that most cycling costs are colorless gives options when you're color screwed. This is another mechanism I don't ever see leaving the cube.
  • Adventure (9 instances): my favourite keyword, and the reason that Eldraine has the most cards in this cube. I beautifully integrates the noncreature core of the cube with its creatures. Like cycling, it adds modality as well, and is quite easy to grok. I hope this keyword will return soon!
  • Flashback (8 instances): another very popular keyword, giving spells in the graveyard more utility. Generally, Flashback just gives a player more options. It can often be seen as two spells in one card, which is useful for multiple effects in the cube. There're also synergies with the discard theme.
Keywords I want more of:
  • Jumpstart (4 instances): very much like Flashback, with a little bit of discard sprinkled in. Radical Idea and Chemister's Insight Even pull double duty by synergizing with both carddraw and discard. The biggest strike against this keyword is the amount and quality of the cards with it, but as it is the keyword is a perfect fit for the cube.
  • Rebound (3 instances): can also be seen as two spells in one, but for often a very small price. A nice little keyword with unfortunately not a lot of impactful cards. It has been brought back several times though so I'm hopeful for its future.
  • Modular (4 instances): really a dynamic keyword if you think about it. It combines artifacts, sacrifice and +1/+1 counters in one word. It's also synergistic with every piece of +1/+1 counter support under the sun, because it both uses and grants the counters. MH2 really opened my eyes to its potential and I hope it will be brought back.
  • Prowess (4 instances): almost evergeen, but not quite. The essence of any nonceature cube. The only reason the number of its instances is so low is because a lot of creatures have semi-prowess, like Burning Prophet. WotC promised they would bring this keyword back more often so I hope its presence in the cube will grow!
  • Crew (3 instances): which might actually be everygreen. It's another keyword that combines creature and noncreature elements into one. Vehicles might actually be closer to Equipment than creatures; they feel more like creatures, while still triggering Prowess.
  • Reconfigure (3 instances): speaking of Equipments, this might be one of my favourite recent keywords. I like it much better than Living Weapon, and it seems a lot easier to comprehend as well. Before NEO, I really wanted to add Bestow to this cube, but Reconfigure has cooled me on that. It's just so much nicer, and works wonders with Modular.
Keywords that might slip away:
  • Splice onto instant or sorcery (2 instances): great keyword, shame it's under-utilized. It might be a difficult one to fully comprehend as well, because it has some weird interactions here and there (like with Rebound). One major factor while it's still hanging around in the cube is that both Splicer's Skill and Everdream are directly tied to main themes in it.
  • Historic (1 instance): ah, yes, the keyword always sitting on the sidelines. I really enjoy batching keywords, but the problem here is that Historic is closely tied with Saga's. Since NEO I've been wanting to add some more enchantments to the cube anyway, but it's always difficult to justify new cards coming in. Hopefully the upcoming Dominaria set reintroduce Historic in such a way that I cannot ignore it anymore.
  • Untap symbol (1 instance): I don't like {Q}, but I do like Crackleburr. I'm always running out of viable Hybrid cards to add anyway, so this one might leave the cube once WotC realized how underused Hybrid mana actually is.
Then there are ability words: Channel (3 instances) and Imprint (2 instances). Although the cognitive isn't as present here as with the keywords, the additional word(s) are something I'm not the biggest fan of aesthetically. The flavour words like Oswald Fiddlebender's also fall under this category (and are quite indistinguishable from ability words in cube). For now they stay, but I'll be eyeing opportunities to remove ability words as well for the same simplification goals.

This is pretty dang sweet. Any particular reason why you cut Golgari?
Apparently I missed this question, sorry for that D:

So the most important goal for me was to create a 2-4 player draft environment with a lot of competition over cards during the draft. The first step towards this was limiting the cube to three colors, which fixes this issue for 4-player drafts. However, for even lower player counts I increased the competition for cards in two ways:
  • Colorless cards are playable for every player, so there's always the potential for competition there. This gave the cube a pronounced focus on artifacts, which kinda excluded {G} for me.
  • Glue cards serve a similar purpose, where each player might want to snatch a few up regardless of their strategy. I always found Prowess (or really 'noncreate spells matter') to be a nice keyword for this, because it combines instants, sorceries, enchantment, planeswalkers, and of course the forementioned artifacts. Since Prowess is focussed in {W}{R}{U}, I settled on a Jeskai cube.
In hindsight, this isn't the only way to go about it. As long as a three-color-cube has one or two main themes competition for cards will be plenty. This is the origin story for my choice though. I cannot go back anymore! #sunkencostfalacy

2022 in review: Not as big a cube year as I'd hoped, but I've been enjoying managing my cube for the biggest part of it. The direction for this cube has crystallized these past few months, which means that these changes have been a far more contious effort. 33/180 of my cube now consists of 2022 cards, which is almost 20%! It's been another good year.

Kamigawa: 7 adds

Initially I added a lot more Kamigawa cards to the cube, but eventually decided to cut the entire Channel mechanic. But even so, the Reconfigure mechanic is the best one added in 2022, and I still rock 5 cards with that mechanic (with 2 or 3 more very close maybes).
Favorite card: Rabbit Battery
Biggest Maybe: Cloudsteel Kirin

New Capenna: 2 adds

Both the three-color shard theme and the set's mechanics were misses for me, so I'm happy to have gotten 3 cards out of this mix.
Favorite card: Big Score
Biggest Maybe: Patch Up

Commander Legends: 9 adds

I had no expectations for this set and was pleasently surprised by the return of Adventure! My favourite mechanic!
Favorite card: Candlekeep Inspiration
Biggest Maybe: Noble's Purse

Dominaria United: 9 adds

The mutitude of additions made here were due to the (re)introduction of the Kicker mechanic to the cube through Dominaria United, one I expect to be expelled from the cube again in the coming year.
Favorite card: Raff, Weatherlight Stalwart
Biggest Maybe: Aether Channeler

Broters' War: 6 adds

Not much to say about this set, except that its additions have been very much skewed to white for some reason.
Favorite card: Third Path Iconoclast
Biggest Maybe: Recruitment Officer

2022 resolution: Adding a Green Module
I wanted to add a Green Module to the cube to be able to support 5-6 players would the need arise. Instead, I've opted to have a dedicated 90-card maybeboard that is managed in such a way that it could instantly be added to the other 180 cards to for a 6-player cube with the same themes and correct distributions. This has been easier to manage than an entire new color.

2022 resolution: Simplifying
I wanted to make the cube more approachable for my friends with less Magic experience, or maybe even as a teachning tool for new players. In order to achieve this, I've been making an effort to remove most non-evergreen mechanics from my cube. The remaining ones are cycling, flashback, kicker, adventure and reconfigure. These are simple or dynamic enough and have a high enough presence that I believe their addition is worth their explanation.
I have even cut back some evergreen stuff like hexproof, protection, ward and any mentions of the upkeep. It's really freeing to be able to ignore a big portion of new spoilers for my cube. I even plan to take this a step further and will try to cut the following mechanics in the next year:
- scry
- kicker
- investigate
- enchantments (and any mention of them)

Next Year: 2023
As far as new years resolutions go, I've got a few:
- Build 4 starter decks from the cards in this cube as a teaching tool.
- Build a commander deck out of the cards in this cube to introduce that format to new players.
- Play more Magic :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

2023 in review: I've played this cube probably once every month this year. It is on par with Commander for the biggest slice of my Magic interactions this year. I also think that the cube is coming very close to my ideal cube, which would mean I'd only be intereseted in new cards as opposed to trying to add cards from previous years as well.

Phyrexia: 2 adds

Contrary to most, this set is a bigger hit for me than March of the Machines was. It has the only sorcery-based control magic variant that I would consider playing.
Favorite card: Blue Sun's Twilight
Biggest Maybe: Wren's Resolve

Lord of the Rings: 3 adds

A lot of fun cards. A lot of cards on my watchlist, although only a few managed to get in the cube. Right now, I really want to find a spot for the three basic-land-cyclers in the Jeskai colors.
Favorite card: Reprieve
Biggest Maybe: Lorien Revealed

Wilds of Eldraine: 8 adds

21(!) cards from the original Eldraine set still rock my cube, so it's no wonder that its sequal would do very well too. A lot of new adventuring fun has been added.
Favorite card: Cheeky House-Mouse
Biggest Maybe: Quick Study

Doctor Who: 1 add

I didn't expect to want any card from this set, but its one addition single-handedly made me abort my rule of not using universe-beyond cards.
Favorite card: Ominous Cemetery
Biggest Maybe: Delete

Lost Caves of Ixalan: 3 adds

This set made me realise how happy I am with the current iteration of my cube. I'm mainly looking for cards that fit within its current structure
Favorite card: Helping Hand
Biggest Maybe: Guardian of the Great Door

2023 resolution: Building starter/commander decks from the cube
This resoltion was part of my wish to introduce people to Magic through my cube. On paper, I'd build the starter decks, but never did anything with them. I just don't feel the need to introduce new people to Magic. I'm actually fine the way it is!

Next Year: 2024
I've got 3 new year's resolutions for this year:
- Be a little more active on cube fora (especially this one)
- Fully cull my Magic collection except for this cube and 1 commander deck
- Play more Cube :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Last edited: