The Black Cube

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Infernal Grasp and Night's Whisper already had the pay 2 life on them.
Wendigo is based off of Toxic Abomination, but it needed a bit of a push. pB on Scavenge due to it being more green to add counters.
Eclipse Blade is an effort to find and effect for WB costed at 1pWB that makes sense when cast for both 1B and 1WB.

G and W are open to suggestions. I'd also love to do 2-3 more Phy cards of each Bx combo. I like giving my players small decisions to make. It makes the game more skill intensive without making it drastically more complicated.
EDIT: I'll add Phy mana reminder text.
EDIT EDIT: Plunderer's Cost should be renamed. There isn't necessarily a cost, unlike Ambition's Cost, which I borrowed from.
Oh, this is a really nice idea for a black cube! However, I feel it's still distracting that the black mana is Phyrexianized in Wendigo's scavenge cost. It's also somewhat jarring that this is the only creature in the cycle and the only one that does something from the graveyard. How about making it a Nature's Spiral with some upside? E.g. "Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand. If it has mana value 3 or less, return it to the battlefield instead."?
Also, I think the red and white one are too similare. Since being a sorcery is considerably weaker, why not make it "Exile target creature, enchantment, or planeswalker"? A little more flexibility and an exile clause seem a nice tradeoff for the slower speed.
Gosh Plunderer's Cost is such a sweet design!

Some scry-surveil swaps or cards clearly inspired by scryers.

Something that I feel is important for the hybrid cards is that they could be a monoblack card or a card that pairs with the other color. This is due to the fact they will frequently be cast without the second color and I don't want serious pie breaks like Dismember. As such, here's some redesigns and new designs:
One cycle of spells. One cycle of "don't pay life" payoffs. Probably a creature cycle to come?

Thanks, everyone. I'm really happy with most of the Phyrexian cards. I made three of them late at night in a rush so that I could get a post out there, so I'm glad you guys like them, as well. Expect another cycle or two once I have some more inspiration.

My favorite design, Malice Summon, was the last one that I made. I like how it's an old school suicide black one drop mixed with a Flinthoof Boar "this fills two slots on aggro's curve" effect that I really love.

Man the Phrexian mana from 2 life downside thing is something only could have come from you brad, truly inspired!
I'll admit that one of the designs is based off of another custom I found that I innovated on.
your designs are starting to REALLY pop
Just the Phyrexian ones? Or did I make other ok cards, too?

These are a little older, I made them a week back, but here's a mythic cycle. Not that rarity matters.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to throw some ideas out there, I'm currently thinking that I'll want:
A cycle of cards like Sewn-Eye Drake where there's possibly a colorless cost, a nonblack hybrid symbol, and a black mana symbol.
A cycle of three color, three mana "charm"s.
Maybe some XXBB costed cards like Basilica Bell-Haunt.
Some BBB, BBBB, BBBBB, etc cards.

I feel that mana costs are a unique way to emphasize the black aspect of the environment.

landofMordor

Administrator
These are a little older, I made them a week back, but here's a mythic cycle. Not that rarity matters.
These are sick. My only sadness is Eternity Seer's statline -- 3/11 is so much better at blocking than attacking that I feel like this 7-drop will just slow games down. Could we do 5/8 and surveil 3, or 8/13 surveil 5? (I choose these because they form Fibonacci sequences, but you could choose another sequence to suggest eternity, which is what I'm guessing you were going for with the odd numbers thing.)

These are sick. My only sadness is Eternity Seer's statline -- 3/11 is so much better at blocking than attacking that I feel like this 7-drop will just slow games down. Could we do 5/8 and surveil 3, or 8/13 surveil 5? (I choose these because they form Fibonacci sequences, but you could choose another sequence to suggest eternity, which is what I'm guessing you were going for with the odd numbers thing.)
The stats are like that because I'm a little worried about it bringing along too good of a second body. It was a 5/8 prior to that concern, which seems appropriate. Not too strong, but a very reasonable attacker at 5 power.

Here's what I put together during the week:

landofMordor

Administrator
The stats are like that because I'm a little worried about it bringing along too good of a second body. It was a 5/8 prior to that concern, which seems appropriate. Not too strong, but a very reasonable attacker at 5 power
i mean, personally when my opponent resolves an Ultimatum-costed 7-drop and doesn't end the game within 1-2 turns, I'm like "please, make it stop already". 3/11 statline makes it too easy for the controller to play with their food. (Maybe 5/3 statline?)

i may steal mapcaster sage, that one is sick
I stole it from someone else. Feel free lol. I also have some of your designs in my "ideas" folder, so I'm bound to use/tweak one at some point here.

Currently looking for:
White cards... I have 15W/30U/50B/30R/30G or so for some reason.

Black centric Mythos. I have Mythos of Nethroi and was thinking of 3BB, Sorcery, If spent RW: give 1 guy indestructible. Destroy all creatures. I'm fairly stumped for the rest. I also failed to find appropriate Mythos art.

If anyone wants to throw some ideas out there, I'm currently thinking that I'll want:
A cycle of cards like Sewn-Eye Drake where there's possibly a colorless cost, a nonblack hybrid symbol, and a black mana symbol.
I went to make a Bant Sureblade style cycle, but it felt boring. Or maybe I'm boring. Either way.
A cycle of three color, three mana "charm"s.
I haven't actually worked on these yet.
Maybe some XXBB costed cards like Basilica Bell-Haunt.
Some BBB, BBBB, BBBBB, etc cards.
I'm feeling a little uninspired on these. Dread Shade was so underwhelming and Phyrexian Obliterator is oppressive.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Love these, and Mapcaster Sage makes me chuckle :D

I do like Blacksmithy's name for Reconstruction angel. Love the art you found though, I never managed to get that piece to work038 - Denigration Angel.jpg

Denigration Angel has remained a fav for me and several others for quite a while. i cant take full credit for the design as one "NyxHighlander" from a cube discord helped create the concept of "colorshifting blink into black" and we made several of these types of cards together.

I do like Blacksmithy's name for Reconstruction angel.
I've never even seen the word Denigration before lol. That's why I switched it. I dunno.
Denigration Angel has remained a fav for me and several others for quite a while. i cant take full credit for the design as one "NyxHighlander" from a cube discord helped create the concept of "colorshifting blink into black" and we made several of these types of cards together.
I remember you posting this concept a long time ago. Do you have more cards that you made with black blink?

I took a couple more white designs from you. Already had a few, too.