General The Constructed thread

Laz

Developer
So, after surviving the era of the Eldrazi, I am still getting smacked around by them in pretty much every format. What is the consensus on {c} mana?

My impression is that it was a cool design idea but an absolute development failure. Why not put busted powerful abilities on above the curve bodies that can be cast from spell-lands which were themselves balanced by not producing coloured mana?

Though, this may just me me feeling a little bitter about 2 rounds of back to back turn 2 Thought-Knot Seers.

I think the only development problem was the creation of lands that allow T2 thought-knot seers.

I think {c} mana is a really cool concept and decent execution, I just wished they had spent the whole block with it, rather than messing with a million one-set mechanics we'll probably never see again.

I still don't really get {c}'s identity- a lot of the cards seem green/black in effect, or are just "exceptionally powerful creature because colorless mana sucks, right?"

In eternal formats especially it's a real headache for stated reasons of being rewarded for playing lands that are normally a detriment. They were designed to be 'weird and alien-feeling' in standard, but they've ended up making Hearthstone's "neutral" cards that everyone can play off their painlands/filters. Already sick of thought-knot seer in particular.

I've been putting off adding {c} effects to my cube, because while I like some (mirrorpool) I really just don't like the gameplay the game-breaking eldrazi lead to (thought-knot, reality smash and displacer). Besides all that, I'm not really sold on adding lands I don't like for the sake of five or six cards. Meh.

Immobilizer Eldrazi is cool though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
They're midrange creatures, midrange tends to feel green/black, therefore they kinda feel like green black creatures?
I guess?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm tempted to put the work in for Thought-Knot Seer, it's nice for red/white/green to have some minimal hand disruption. Matter Reshaper and especially Eldrazi Displacer are worth it too. I don't find Reality Smasher interesting. I don't mind World Breaker either though that one doesn't really count.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been putting off adding {c} effects to my cube, because while I like some (mirrorpool) I really just don't like the gameplay the game-breaking eldrazi lead to (thought-knot, reality smash and displacer). Besides all that, I'm not really sold on adding lands I don't like for the sake of five or six cards. Meh.

Immobilizer Eldrazi is cool though.
Those game-breaking Eldrazi are only game-breaking when they enter the battlefield on turn two off two Sol lands. Thought-Knot Seer is a perfectly reasonable card in an environment where it doesn't start beating down on turn 3.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
The oppression in pauper has been lifted!
No more Peregrine Drake!

Now hopefully Delver and Stompy can rise again for my midnight rebels deck to sneak some easy wins :D

EDIT: Already been mentioned in the CBS thread :(
Oh well, I guess I should post something more relevant, so uh, here is my midnight rebels deck I guess...

Huh. TIL that there's a constructed thread. If you guys are interested in what I'm packing, I mostly play Legacy. I just 4-0ed two weeks ago with my personal R/W Goblins brew... it's not the first time I've gone undefeated with it, and it has actually done better for me than my mostly stock BUG Delver list, which is surprising considering my local meta has pretty much everything. Would anyone be interested in a decklist?

Edit: Been trying to jam Leovold lately, as he's one of the more unfair magic cards I've seen. Just bought a set of Food Chains to try the shell out.

Would really like to see this list.

Happy to oblige:

MAIN

Creatures-

1x Gempalm Incinerator
1x Goblin Chieftain
4x Goblin Lackey
4x Goblin Matron
2x Goblin Piledriver
4x Goblin Ringleader
1x Goblin Sharpshooter
4x Goblin Warchief
2x Krenko, Mob Boss
1x Siege-Gang Commander
1x Skirk Prospector
1x Stingscourger
3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1x Tuktuk Scrapper

Lands-

4xBloodstained Mire
4x Cavern of Souls
1x Karakas
3x Mountain
2x Plateau
3x Rishadan Port
4x Wasteland

2x Wooded Foothills

Instants/Sorceries-

2x tarfire
1x warping wail

Artifacts-

4x aether vial

SIDE

1x Ancient Grudge
2x Blood Moon
2x Ethersworn Canonist
1x Goblin Sharpshooter
1x karakas
1x Krosan Grip
1x Pithing Needle
3x Pyrokinesis
2x Rest in Peace

1x Taiga

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the deck in a nutshell. My local meta consists of Infect, Miracles, Lands, Elves, U/R Delver, BUG Delver, Shardless, Maverick (only sometimes, thankfully), MUD, Burn, Sneak and Show, Omnitell, Storm, Aluren, Eldrazi aggro, with other various decks popping in and out every so often (like I'm about to try Food Chain for a bit.) I think it's a pretty diverse meta overall.

If you want a breakdown of card choices/matchups/etc, lemme know and I'll spend some time to write a full primer: The basics of it is- the white splash effectively lowers the ceiling on the deck, but mitigates Goblin's worst matchups by doing so.

Rough draft of deck I'm tinkering around with for road trip funsies at GP Toronto, based on Dom's shell

+ sundry mana base

Grim Flayer feels at least decent here, distracting the opponent with beaters on the ground while you set up the orbital laser combo. The self-mill is also extremely good, because it can filter any kinda card to the top: Assault, vengeance, removal, lands, etc. I was also bemoaning how to deal with eldrazi, and realized that Gitrog is literally bigger than everything they run basically. Neat. Footsteps is another neat redundancy card in that it can grind ETB effects effectively. It can be more copies of Eternal Witness, and various SB tech.

Pondering if the ultimate graveyard hate hate is that monstrous 12/12 that basically no modern removal removes, and can cost GG lol. Also a sweet straightforward vengeance nuke.