General The Draft Exchange

The white one is not reasonable. Six power and toughness divided over three bodies is really good value for five mana, exiling an enchantment is often a game-winning choice if you choose it over the other options, but it's the fact that a control deck can completely stabilize by gaining 15 that's truly ridiculous. I thought it was fine as well, but I was clearly fooling myself.

The black one is sweet and totally playable, though I re-replaced it with Profane Command. The green one is completely fine but pretty unexciting.

Huh. I don't have the white one in my cube, so I kind of wrote it off. Maybe it's for the best that it never found it's way in there if it's that powerful.

Aoret

Developer
I really haven't had issues with the red one. Am I fooling myself? Are we all just shitty at magic over here?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I really haven't had issues with the red one. Am I fooling myself? Are we all just shitty at magic over here?

I found that it was always subtly above curve. 4 mana firespout isn't insane, neither is smash to smithereens, rack and ruin + 2 to a player is a bit insane, and lava axe is the worst card in magic until it's not, but all those together makes for an insanely strong magic card.

Plus snapcaster for essentially 14 damage on an empty board is just something people probably shouldn't have to adjust to.

Imo the red confluence is strong but not unreasonable. It trades a -little- bit of efficiency for a ton of flexibility. I'm satisfied with it in my cube, as being a solidly high pick without being overbearing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Imo the red confluence is strong but not unreasonable. It trades a -little- bit of efficiency for a ton of flexibility. I'm satisfied with it in my cube, as being a solidly high pick without being overbearing.
It really straddles the line in my cube. Lava Spike is unplayable in cube, but double the effect for four times the mana gives decks a ridiculous amount of reach.

Red one is a real boon to base-red control strategies imo and it's not so pushed I hate it, just a strong card that's always live. I keep meaning to run it again, don't remember when I cut it.

e: someone please draft my cube and spare us from this interminable discussion, tia

Red one is a real boon to base-red control strategies imo and it's not so pushed I hate it, just a strong card that's always live. I keep meaning to run it again, don't remember when I cut it.

e: someone please draft my cube and spare us from this interminable discussion, tia
OK!

Started with Nissa, Voice of Zendikar into Courser of Kruphix into the Gitrog Monster. Picked up a Badlands speculatively p2p1 and got rewarded with Dragonlord Atarka late. There's a lot of really good stuff sitting in the sideboard, including Outpost Siege and Darkblast. Making cuts for this deck was a nightmare.

I hopped on this train too.
Hopped right on the freakin' Aggro train with a first Pick Asylum Visitor, hell yah. Deck just sorta fell together from there, probably needs a reach spell more than it has... maybe the Secure the Wastes in the SB. Looks like I'd have fun churning through some games with this deck. Got hints of a D&T subtheme, which I very much like. Fun drafting too!

Also misclicked on a Falkenrath Aristocrat that I wanted to be a Thalia's Lieutenant. Woe is me....

Draft Peter's first, he beat me by like... 2 minutes or something. Or draft mine. Or both. I can't tell you how to live your life :p.

Drafting Experiment Two:
I start with a sequence of DTT, Snapcaster, Clique, some more solid blue stuff. Eventually I go into black on Xathrid Necromancer as it seems kind of open as well. I skip on the graveyard theme as my pool looks like a good straightforward control deck, and once I let some of it go it's harder to get into it. I saw just about all the UB reanimator pieces by the end. Late pack 2 it looks like UB might not be as open as I thought, but I stay with it.

UB Control from CubeTutor.com

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ill say, I thought I would hate the confluences, but they're pretty fun to play with. Maybe I need to play against them more for a proper assessment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Oh yeah we are in that thread aren't we :p
I think a better boon to red based control would be an actual red sweeper that doesn't suck, rather than this lava axe maybe shatter bullshit.
You ever try rolling earthquake? It's like anger of the gods/Blasphemous Act, but people can actually cast it.

14210305.jpg

Some Notes:

Pack 1

p1p1 opposition > treachery : Okay this cube has real power in here. I find Opposition obnoxious, thus i will pick it, play it and hear the lamentation of my opponents women/men.
p1p2 Birds of Paradise > tropical island, Primeval Titan, Path of Exile : Pretty clear i force my opposition, so the cards i see in the pool are pretty narrow + i love UG in cubes.
p1p3 Control Magic > Brago, King eternal : Control Magic and Treachery seems like a weird decision, i would take out treachery. Well i DID do that already so..
p1p4 Whirler Rogue > Spellskite, Restoration Angel : Rogue seems sweet enough as is, not to mention it wins games with opposition, Resto is hard to pass, but oh well.
p1p5 Mayor of Avabruck > Fire // Ice : empty pack.
p1p6 Acidic Slime > Greenwarden of Murasa, Trygon Predator, Kiora : Acidic Slime is Jace 2.0 to me, can't pass. Trygon and Greenwarden great next picks, spicy pack !
p1p7 Fauna Shaman : empty pack
p1p8 Wall of Roots > Dissolve, Scalding Tarn
p1p9 Green Sun's Zenith > Polukranos, Dragonlord Ojutai
p1p10 Tropical Island
p1p11 Reclamation Sage > Progenitor Mimic, Brago : you might notice i skipped Progenitor Mimic in p3, but i think Mimic isn't worth to mention above Control Magic, prove me wrong ?
p1p12 Courser of Kruphix > duskwatch recruiter
p1p13 Fire // Ice
p1p14 Trygon Predator > kiora
p1p15 Izzet Charm

Pack 2

p2p1 Volcanic Island > cyclonic rift, city of brass, oblivion ring, smokestack : Pretty lousy pack given the fact i want to push for UG. Volcanic Island seemed fine if i splash for some reason, Cyclonic Rift could wheel anyway. Smokestack might be insane in this deck, dunno.
p2p2 Crystal Shard > hornet queen, frantic search, chromatic lantern : Crystal Shard + Acidic Slime ? heaven.
p2p3 Sylvan Library > verdant catacombs, Fact or Fiction, Mystic Confluence, Song of the Dryads, Worldknit : Sylvan Library must be around 99% pick rate for me. Mystic Confluence might be close, but rest are just nice things to have. Big nod for Worldknit!
p2p4 Upheaval > joraga treespeaker, Raging Ravine : Upheaval has been obnoxious when i used it, hatepick it out and it probably should be in my deck anyway. Skipping Joraga hurts a bit.
p2p5 Clever Impersonator > Terastodon, Regrowth, Value Storm (love this one oh my dog) : Value Storm makes me wanna make a custom cube so sweet sweet sweet. Clever Impersonator is a fun card to play can't pass it.
p2p6 Lumbering Falls > survival of the fittest, Craterhoof Behemoth, Taiga : Great personland and fixes my bad manabase, Survival probably the better pick maybe? Craterhoof also wins games everytime it resolves.
p2p7 Compulsive Research > Master of the Wild Hunt, Sphere of the Suns, Sarkhan Unbroken : draw 3 over pretty much anything in my books.
p2p8 Breeding Pool > Hissing Quaqmire
p2p9 Lightning Greaves
p2p10 Chromatic Lantern
p2p11 Song of the Dryads > Dragonlord Atarka
p2p12 Raging Ravine
p2p13 Terastodon
p2p14 Craterhoof Behemoth > pernicious deed (these bots are broken for leaving this here)
p2p15 Sarkhan Unbroken

This cube seems like a fun one indeed. I'm a little concerned on the top power level cards which i cut and never looked back. Having Opposition and friends to me make blue warp the whole cube to that color if you want to win games. I didn't understand Grave Mimic, there is Body Double already, it's way better since it's only one color. I know black is for Zombie, but why not just make a whole different UB Zombie altogether, dunno.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on a hurry so couldn't make more comments for now, but here is my soon-to-be-cube. It's finding its form still so nothing is set per se, now would be the best time to say what is wrong or what should be added etc.
I consciously nerfed blue a little, so no opposition and friends also i found it fun to tone down some great effects for instance Control Magic is replaced with Binding Grasp

Old borders power cube:
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/51383

This cube seems like a fun one indeed. I'm a little concerned on the top power level cards which i cut and never looked back. Having Opposition and friends to me make blue warp the whole cube to that color if you want to win games. I didn't understand Grave Mimic, there is Body Double already, it's way better since it's only one color. I know black is for Zombie, but why not just make a whole different UB Zombie altogether, dunno.

There is definitely a high power ceiling on my cube. Opposition hasn't been oppressive as the blue drafters tend towards creature-light control, but cards like JTMS and Treachery are there to do what they do. My feeling from recent drafts is that the blue brokenness is answerable, whether with a fast aggro start or reanimator/ramp bombs. I do agree that Control Magic is a snap pick over Progenitor Mimic in most shells, unless you have lots of ramp and/or ETB abuse.

On Grave Mimic, you may have missed that it also gains undying? It's a very strong card. It was a design of Suicufnoc's from the custom cards thread.

Drafting GiftsForgiven's.

P1P1 Entomb (over Smokestack) because it looks like reanimator is supported well, stay open for a bit then go into white for Hero of Bladehold since it looks open. Pick up Drana, Bloodghast as a general-purpose Entomb target, and BW aggro is coming together. Bitterblossom and Lingering Souls come early in pack 2. The reanimator support doesn't come, but the aggro/tokens plan continues nicely. P3P1 Batterskull. I may not maindeck it but it at least comes in to crush the aggro matchup. The mana curve ended up a little wonky, and I probably should have run Dryad Militant or Entomb over the Sword of Light and Shadow, but it came together quite nicely.

WB Tokens from CubeTutor.com