General The Draft Exchange

4C control from CubeTutor.com

Built a greedy 4C control deck out of Nanonox's cube. Looks really fun, no idea if it actually has enough power in it to win games. Took Entomb P1P1 because it was the only good black card in the pack and the rest didn't push me in a direction, but I only saw like 2 reanimator spells late in the draft and no premium targets, so I didn't end up getting there. Just pushed for value instead- Chasm Skulker+looters, lots of card selection, and Dig/Cryptic with Gearhulk seem crazy (especially since I picked up entomb to set it up if need be). Totally forgot Sakura Tribe Elder was in the deck when making the mana base, but honestly still might run 6 islands.

Drafted the riptidian cube!

Had a heck of a time getting revved up. First picked Seasons Past cause it's a sweet card, then picked up Monastery Mentor. Spent the first pack exploring GW, kinda maybe naya. Messy. Pack 2, Grim Flayer says hi, and I guess now I'm GB. Turns out it was a good idea to abruptly swivel, because the majority of pack two was GB goodstuff. This really evened my keel, and Pack 3 carried on uneventful. Wish I had one more W source for the unmaking. Happy I picked up the Seasons Past + Dark Petition combo. Seems like a great way to grind out longer games.

Couple things I think you'll want to keep an extra close eye on during you NY testing:
- removal quality/quantity. I think this might need increasing to better match the creature environment, and testing will quickly indicate this one way or the other.
- Energy. Who knows, maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time drafting with energy in cube. Hopefully I'm just a curmudgeon and it works fine in practice.

Here's the deck!:

GB delirium midrange from CubeTutor.com

Despite the rocky start, the deck came out looking pretty good! My flight actually got cancelled, so I had to re-book for Thursday. Won't get testing in until Fri-Sat at soonest :[

I will def. keep an eye on the removal. It's one of those things that's hard for me to visualize the impact of until I actually get some drafts in, you know? This is my first time trying out energy, and I'm pretty excited. The energy segment of the cube is majorly in U/R, with only a light green splash so I don't think it's possible to go deep green with energy. For all that though, I do find myself wishing that Wotc had made some energy payoff cards that weren't... bleh. There are a few that I love, like dynavolt tower, whirler virtuoso and aethersquall ancient, but the rest? Not sold.

Drafted Sigh, a Cube!

U/W control from CubeTutor.com

I'm afraid this deck was very informed by a P1P1 gideon, ally of zendikar. I did pick up an Eldrazi displacer, but though I saw a couple of painlands, I never saw any relevant to me. I also had dynavolt tower and mystic speculation in my final draft pool, but didn't think them necessary due to the split of instant and enchantment-based hate.

*casts Exhume on this thread*

So I drafted this evil beast in Shamizy's cube

WU Controlapalooza from CubeTutor.com

p1p1 was Fumigate, I'm pretty sure. My default approach to these balanced-but-high-powered formats is to just try and suck up all the board wipes and Planeswalkers I can while spending my last few picks each pack hate-drafting aggro; those decks tend to rely so much on wheeled 1-drops and 2-drops that siphoning them off as I load up on board wipes feels correct, since I know the game will likely be over for the more shaky aggro builds if I can resolve a wipe T4, and I'm generally less intimidated by midrange, since they usually won't have haste effects to surprise my battered life total at that point. Is this a good drafting strategy? Probably not! :D

I also must say that Tamiyo, the Moon Sage is my favourite planeswalker ever, and she looks even spicier here. I probably have more win conditions than I need, but I didn't prioritize curve filler enough. That said, 3 board wipes, a tutor, and Torrential Gearhulk seems like a good time to me!

I'm back, babes!

UW Control/Skies from CubeTutor.com

Drafted whydirt's combo-ish cube. I started out with a pretty exciting P1P1 Mystical Tutor into P1P2 Balance, and then the power band kind of hit me over the head as I realized just how bad creatures used to be. If that's what you were going for, you nailed it.

If anyone wants to draft the newest version of my cube, knock yourselves out:
http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/4863

Drafted Aston's cube!

MDT12's UW control from CubeTutor.com

Notable Picks:
P1P1: Vendilion Clique. Felt like drafting a blue deck anyways, so this is nice to see!
P1P2: Geist of Saint Traft. Personal pet card for me, so easy pick.
P1P3: Sower of Temptation. Keep the bombs coming!
P1P4: Vedalken Shackles (even though Council's Judgement was in there as well). Let's steal ALL the things.
P1P5: Spell Queller. Seems sweet, never played with it before though but should fit a UW controllish deck.
P1P6: Small Ajani. Meh, maybe it will get more tempo oriented.
P2P1: Phyrexian Metamorph. Sweet card, but Mimic Vat is in here as well, so hoping that wheels.
P2P2: Daze. Didn't have enough counters, good to pick up.
P2P3: Swords to Plowshares. Don't mind if I do, when some spell isn't countered or stolen I can still remove it.
P2P4: Sun Titan. Nice finisher, brings back a lot of my utility creatures.
P2P5: Miscalculation. Awesome, plenty of counters now but could maybe use 1 more.
P2P6: Oblivion Ring. Nice, non-creature removal. Gonna be pretty hardcore control.
P2P7: Kira, Great Glass Spinner. Even more 3-drops, pretty much getting full already.
P3P1: Snapcaster Mage. Don't mind if I do.
P3P2: Venser, the Sojourner. A LOT of blink value in this deck, especially now Snapcaster is in the House.
P3P3: Sensei's Divining Top. Sweet value town.
P3P4: Day of Judgement. Could be necessary when I cannot stabilize or draw bad.
P3P5: Force of Will. Final piece of the counterspell puzzle!
P3P6: Recruiter of the Guard. This card gets SO many of my playable creatures.

Pretty sweet, seems maybe a bit more disruptive midrangy than control but I'd gladly play it. Maybe Student of Warfare should be Phyrexian Revoker, since I'm light on 2 drops and Snapcaster is also not really a 2 drop.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Sometimes, its nice to see how a cube deals with a misdraft. This is from alfonzo's cube.

Weird U/W splicers from CubeTutor.com

Didn't pick the UW lands high enough, which evidently were in demand, and ended up on an awkward spot by the end of pack 3. Thankfully, there is so much negative variance reduction, that it really got me out of the jam, and I was able to splash minimally. Note the techy off-color ancient excavations, thats there just for the land cycling.

Probably wouldn't win the draft with this one, but I don't think its out of the question for this deck to be able to do just enough winning for me to at least enjoy myself. Its nice that the cube gave me an out here.

As always in the Penny Pincher drafts I do, I see some eye-catching little win condition for a hard control deck and try excessively to make it work. This time it's Mystical Teachings/Rise from the Tides control, with Necromancer's Covenant as a second mini-Tides. Noyan Dar makes the wall of bodies, there's some sifting to power up Tides/Covenant, but without a chance to play it I think it's probably a little too light on standalone threats or board interaction. I also would've loved to pick up a recursive tool but c'est la vie.

Tides Control from CubeTutor.com

I'd prefer if whoever's next drafted my main cube, since I've been fiddling with it recently.

GB Beatdown from CubeTutor.com

This deck looks like a marvelously fun time, grinding down on the opponent both from the hand and the field, while sticking resilient creatures that tip the board in your favor. The four drops look particularly brutal here, all working the angles the deck is supposed to be working.

Couple cool niche interactions here, namely The Gitrog Monster / Braids + Ramunap Excavator

I don't know how the cube has been playing out, but GB, or maybe even just Bx seems to be very finely tuned. Don't know how well compared to other colors.

Drafted Safra's "main cube" as mentioned at end of post...

I wasn't sure right out the gate what to go with but took Angel of Invention first pick, hoping i might go wide a bit... but not knowing the cube all that much it was hard to decide if/when to pivot. I essentially pivoted on pick 3 or 4 when i could have chosen lingering Souls, to keep on the wide theme, but i didn't want to go W/B with a wide strategy and since I saw Jeskai Ascendancy in the pack before hoping it might wheel, i figured going W/r for now was better... Either way i feel like i didn't execute on either strategy......

Wide Aggro
or
Jeskai spelly-control

Weird U/W splicers from CubeTutor.com

if anyone is interested and wants to draft my cube it is HOU updated. A 540 multiplayer(mostly) lower power cube.

My 540 Multiplayer Low Power Cube

I drafted this Bant Tokens deck from whobetta's 540 multiplayer cube. My first pick was Decree of Justice. I wantedt spells that are versatile and scale well with the game and Decree was the perfect fit. Since this is a multiplayer environment I decided to go wide to protect myself against multiple opponents which led to me prioritizing tokens. Additionally, I ended up prioritizing lifegain effects as well for the same reason. Great Oak Guardian provides a nice overrun effect to end the game with. I've never seen Sigil Captain before but it seems to play well with a lot of the stuff I have going on. My mana is really bad and I feel like I didn't see too much during the draft but that may have just been a product of the cards that were in the pool this time. It may also be that I was just oblivious to all of the lands going around.

I drafted Esper Control from MDT12's cube. My first pick was Ponder and I think the pick after that was Torrential Gearhulk. I picked some mana rocks to help fix mana and power out some late game spells. I think my favorite synergy in this deck is Torrential Gearhulk + Dig Though Time. I like that Repeal, Unexpectedly Absent, and Far // Away are removal that scale with the game. I drafted 0 counterspells so I have to rely on my heaps of removal to interact with the opponent.

Drafted Fulcrum's cube. Very sweet synergy cube, although I messed up my first draft because I didn't look at the list before (thought there would be more of a reanimator theme with the self discard).

Anyway, I think I managed a sweet UW Flyers control deck with a LOT of O-ring effects.
P1P1 was ngel of Condemnation (I really like this card as an easier blink enabler than Eldrazi Displacer) followed by Selfless Spirit a few good blue and white cards to get me hooked on the theme. P2P1 was Angel of Sanctions so very nice to pick that up. Vizier of the Many Faces should do good work here as well. I like that even though I didn't draw a lot of card draw except from cycling effects, I would still get enough options from these cards in the graveyard. Pacification Array is an interesting card, wondering if it is too slow or works as a win condition in this deck by tapping 1 of their flyers every turn. Would happily play this deck, seems sweet and a well supported archetype in the cube!

UW flyers from CubeTutor.com

I drafted Sigh's cube...from above, as he must have snuck in before mine PS I don't know what happened to my cubedeck of safra's cube. I promise to redraft and post correctly!

I went with a main white/black aggro theme... but it has some disruption and a sprinkle of red just because I like the added utility and wombo-y feel with Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury and tokens.

i first picked Yahenni, Undying Partisan, thinking i'd go some sort of counter or sac theme but it never came really and so just went into a wide strategy after that... I have entomband couldn't justify main decking it for it to only combo with Scourge of Nel Toth

Black/White with Red splash AggroDisrupt

if anyone wants to draft my 540 multiplayer-ish Lower Power Cube have at it

drafted KYOOB.

p1p1 Treasure Cruise
p1p2 Aether Searcher
p1p3 Greenwarden of Murasa
p1p4 Garruk Wildspeaker

The green cards just kept coming. There's seems to be a density of green ramp support in this cube. Aether Searcher gets Greenwarden of Murasa. Resulting deck has pretty much all the necessary components for a textbook ramp deck. I enjoyed splashing the man lands without any risk of compromising my mana base.

Mono Green Ramp from CubeTutor.com

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Woo! My cube's finally up to date again! Let's go! :)

inscho's cube greeted me with the following starting booster.

p1p1.jpg

I'm going in blind, so I have no idea what to expect, but the two cards that pop out to me are Kolaghan's Command and Clan Defiance. Artisan of Kozilek hints at ramp being a posibility, and Defiance is definitely a super strong late game card, so I snap it up. The next few picks are Regal Behemoth, Wildfire, Magma Jet, Stomping Grounds, et cetera. At one point I see a Devastating Dreams but am unsure how effective that card is. Looks like a lot of card disadvantage o_O I don't think both of my colors were really open, but I manage to pick up some removal, some decent creatures and, most importantly, ways to play Shelldock Isle multiple times ;) Also, Titania into Wildfire is positively filthy O_O

Onderzeeboot's GR Wildfire draft of restart/redux redux on 13/09/2017 from CubeTutor.com

PyEi0xb.jpg

This was my opening pack. In most cubes, I would go with the Dark Confidant and try to slot into an aggressive archetype, but this time I wanted to see what I could accomplish with Herald of Anguish (a card that I've also been trying out in my own list). P1P3 I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Pia and Kiran Nalaar, exactly the type of creature that I'd want for this deck helping to clog up the board and also help turbo out the Herald. When I saw a Daretti P1P5, it was after that point that I figured that it might be worth it to try and see if I could get some red artifact reanimation synergies going. I was hoping to see a Gearhulk or some other big artifact finisher in my colors. The rest of the first pack was spent picking up roleplayers for the list.

In Pack 2 I get rewarded with generically powerful cards like LoTV and Ob Nix, picked up one of my favorite early roadblocks in Perilous Myr, and managed to snag Red Gearhulk + Feldon to enable some funny shenanigans in the later game. P3 I ended up with Black Gearhulk, new UB Tezz (which is why I'm splashing blue), and some more cards to interact on the board with. All in all a pretty solid list:

Grixis Artifacts

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ah right, I probably should have mentioned my cube supports only five color pairs, and {B/R} is not one of them, so your mana fixing is going to be a bit awkward. All the funnier when it actually works out though :) I like Hollow One in the list. I mean, I pushed the discard theme a bit more in my last update, but it's still sweet to see it come together like this.

I just drafted Shamizy's cube and came out with this little doohicky. I first picked Ramunap Excavator and tried to pull together as many lands synergies as I could. I think that a pretty solid grindy midrange deck emerged that uses some sort of oblique strategies to build card advantage. I'd like to build these kinds of synergies into my main cube, but working at the 180 size, it can be a bit tough to bring niche strategies in.

I think the cube plays well. It seems to be built along a lot of the Riptide principles. The power level was quite high, but none of the cards stuck out as severely underpowered or overpowered. Not too much constructive to report.