General The Duplicate Voucher System

After having my cube featured on CubeCobra recently I've been getting more and more questions regarding my Duplicate Voucher system. I had this draft sitting around the last few months on CubeCobra waiting for some touch-ups and figured now was as good a time as any to finish it up.

Cross-posting here to Riptide for a first glimpse before it goes up on CubeCobra later this week!

408ec348-183b-43de-abac-7ae9e3843c10.jpg

Back in 2019 I had gone through the ringer with various different attempts at breaking singleton in my cube. I was pleased with how it had worked out in the cases of cards like Champion of Parish and Bloodsoaked Champion which were incredibly effective in the decks they went into, but I was less please with the results from narrow build-around cards like Birthing Pod or Collected Company. Much like the aggressive pair mentioned earlier, these build-arounds would be even more effective with two of them in a given deck for consistency, but they were MUCH more narrow. Unless you picked them early in a draft in pack 1, went in drafting aggressively around the archetype AND was then rewarded with the 2nd copy later on, you probably weren't going to get there and would end up with a mediocre pile.

I was grappling with how to solve the issue of duplicate cards not being wanted by any drafter at the table. For example, if no one is interested in playing a Human Aggro deck or making Birthing Pod work, all of sudden those cards with duplicates in the cube end up being dead cards within the draft pool. With my cube at 420, you're going to miss seeing 60 cards at minimum depending upon the number of drafters and there's always the possibility that a build-around card won't be seen until the 3rd pack. Essentially all 3rd pack build-arounds wind up being dead cards in a draft pool. Unlike an online draft client, I'm not about go to go and pay special attention to seeding packs so I needed to come up with a solution.

Thus, I decided to implement a voucher system into the cube.​
SCZe7b0.jpg
The cards that are currently in my cube and available through this system are the following:​

And potential archetypes that would be interested in these cards include:

{W/B} Humans: Champion of the Parish, Bloodsoaked Champion
{B} Recursive Aggro: Bloodsoaked Champion, Gravecrawler
{U/R} Spellslinger: Young Pyromancer
Birthing Pod: Birthing Pod
CoCo: Collected Company
{W}{U}{G} Soulherder/{W/U} Blink: Soulherder

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How does it work?

1. Draft the original copy of one of these cards and also a voucher card during the draft.
2. After the draft is over exchange the voucher for a 2nd copy of a drafted card by presenting the original in your draft pool as proof.

This can be done a maximum of once per card; no double-dipping on the original card that was drafted. Each of the original cards included in the main cube is marked with a yellow sticker on the bottom left corner of the inner sleeve. The duplicate copy is marked with a yellow sticker on the right corner (this is to easily identify and remove them from the pool after a cube session). I've got 4 duplicate vouchers within my cube and a 7:4 ratio of originals to vouchers.

The main reason I implemented this in the first place was to give greater utility to slots being used by a narrow build-arounds and to supplement "critical mass" archetypes; decks where you'd want multiple copies of a given effect to create the best version of that deck. If you can't find a good analog for a specific effect, then the easiest solution is to just double up most of the time. However, a 420 cube means that every single card isn't always in the draft pool, which means that build-arounds may not end up with enough available copies. Squadroning cards is a potential solution, but I haven't been a fan of the Multiple-for-1 system if you're double-dipping on cards that are all worth an actual pick during the draft. The weaker cards are fine, but the more interesting build-arounds end up giving you too much value in a single pick.

For example, if there are two copies of Champion of the Parish the draft pool but no one is drafting an aggressive {W} deck, these will end up being dead cards in the draft. Or if there is a copy of Birthing Pod or Collected Company in the pool, but neither are seen until Pack 3, then it's likely too late for these to be useful and they also end up being dead cards. I was also not a fan of there being zero demand for certain cards unless you were already actively drafting a given archetype. One of the other problems I saw with certain cards were that usually just one person at the table would be interested in picking it up. That makes sense for certain archetypes since that's not really different than the {U/B} Reanimator player wheeling something like a Dread Return or a giant creature, but it does become an issue when you have too many duplicates within the cube. I didn't want that 2nd copy of Champion of the Parish to become an auto-wheel to the {W/B} Humans drafter and be a worthless card to everyone else drafting at the table.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are 3 problems I'm looking to solve with this voucher system:

1. Minimization of the number of dead cards in a draft pool by giving drafters more options for that card slot

If I'm in {U/R} Spellslinger I have no interest in the Gravecrawler in Pack 2, but a card that could potentially become another copy of Young Pyromancer is very appealing. If I've already drafted a Pyromancer, this is letting me double up and I'd be super interested in drafting it highly as a core piece of my deck. If I haven't yet drafted a Pyromancer? I might just snipe this late in on a wheel and just keep my eyes open for a copy in future picks. The fun thing here is that you can really customize your approach depending on what you're drafting. With more potential options via voucher for these slots, there are fewer potential dead cards in a draft pool.

2. Create more demand for the potential card in that voucher slot

For example, if you're in {W/B} Aggro then an early duplicate voucher pick can represent a potential copy of Champion of the Parish, Bloodsoaked Champion or Gravecrawler depending on which you end up drafting. And if you've got a {W}{U}{G} Blink drafter to your left hoping for a Soulherder or a Pod player to your right looking for that Birthing Pod, then all of a sudden this creates an organic demand for the voucher in that particular card slot. This leads to the duplicate voucher being more like a golden ticket for some drafters who will then adjust their drafting strategy. If it's meant to be a very specific build-around card (say Collected Company), you might value the voucher very highly in subsequent packs after drafting the original copy since it's essential to your deck whereas a {B} Aggro drafter has more mix and match options available to them so they might wait it out instead.

3. Maximize the options available for specific archetypes per cube slot

For the archetypes I'm trying to supplement with the cards on the voucher, you'd ideally have two copies of any of those for your deck to make it function effectively. Soulherder is a great card in blink strategies and can really get the ball rolling, but it's often quite fragile without the right curve to maximize value. The best way to mitigate this? Just draft a 2nd copy. The problem? There's no way to ensure a 2nd copy will actually get to the drafter consistently. What if the 2nd copy just didn't make it into your draft pool? If you're playing a 360 cube then too many duplicates will lead to a same-y drafting experience, but too large a cube and you won't consistently see your multiples. What these vouchers end up doing is giving you an additional chance to draft that 2nd copy of Soulherder or Young Pyromancer that you really want to shore up the core of your deck. It's much easier to get a "hit" with 4 potential shots rather than 1.

In a typical cube this would require additional slots for the 2nd copy of each card eating up space and might lead to the pitfalls mentioned in my first point. With this system I end up using 4 physical slots to represent 7 different cards. This helps create some demand for the voucher, minimize auto-wheels during the draft process, and if we end up missing the build-arounds in the main draft pool it doesn't hurt as bad for the rest of the draft.

How's it working out so far?

Not too shabby. I didn't manage to get in too many drafter post-implementation and pre-lockdown (maybe 3-4), but the results from the handful I ran were super promising. My drafters were able to understand what the vouchers did from the first glance, they drafted accordingly and were able to build the decks they wanted, and best of all there was actual demand when drafting these. In the very first draft I was greedy in trying to wheel one back after drafting a Soulherder, but I was punished as I later found that a drafter to my left snapped one up for their Bloodsoaked Champion while another at the table cashed it in for a Young Pyromancer. Organic demand! Less dead slots! It worked exactly as I hoped it would!

Another time I was looking to go in on some kind of {W/B} Aggro deck early and snatched up two vouchers early hoping to cash them in later. I was rewarded later in the draft with a Bloodsoaked Champion and Gravecrawler and ended up switching lanes into a {W/B} Stax-y variant after being passed a Tangle Wire and then topping off with Braids, Cabal Minion and some token generation. I then followed it up with a Flagstones of Trokair drafted later in my Utility Land Draft (which I'll touch upon in a future article).

All in all, it's been an elegant solution to an annoying problem that bothered me for a few years and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Bonus Round

I've had a few requests for how I went about making my vouchers but unfortunately it was a friend of mine that created these for me in Photoshop (I've got no experience in PS) so the specifics are lost to me. That said, I do have a link to the original .psd file hosted on Dropbox that anyone interested can take a crack at if they want to customize and create their own: Duplicate Voucher.

Feel free to utilize the .psd template and let me know how it goes if you end up deploying a similar system in the future. I'd love to hear how this works out for other designers.

As always, thanks for reading!

I love it!

Except I think it should be balanced across colors to be perfection.

Can I pay you or your buddy to make some for me with the 5 cards I want?

For aesthetics I'd agree, but when I was going through my cube I just didn't see any cards in blue I'd actually want to double up on with this system.

I can reach out and ask him, should be relatively straightforward with the .psd template What are the 5 cards you'd want? Alternatively if someone here has PS skills I'm sure they could whip something up even quicker.

I don't mind the disbalance. I think your friend did a great job, nice touch on including the Vesuvan Doppelganger image there :)

That was something I specifically requested when I was looking through clone cards to make it pop. I don't think I've ever read that 1 pt font to see exactly what it does, but I can't deny that it has excellent artwork!

I can reach out and ask him, should be relatively straightforward with the .psd template What are the 5 cards you'd want? Alternatively if someone here has PS skills I'm sure they could whip something up even quicker.

Thank you :D

Let me think about for a few days. This is my initiate Brainstorm

But give me a few days, please, this is pretty hard. Suggestions are welcome! I am looking for cards that are cubeable alone but get better in duplicates. So no Squadron Hawks and Rune Snags.

If you're looking to beef up your G/x Aggro or Midrange strategies, I feel like doubling up on either of these guys could be pretty nice:

I think Collector is better in a vacuum and has better upside overall, but Experiment One can get spicy and really help form the core of something like GW Midrange. You might even have enough options to deploy a pseudo-GW Humans archetype if you have enough of the necessary pieces. I think it's a big green human away from getting there, but there's already a nice core available in cube worthy cards:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thank you :D

Let me think about for a few days. This is my initiate Brainstorm

But give me a few days, please, this is pretty hard. Suggestions are welcome! I am looking for cards that are cubeable alone but get better in duplicates. So no Squadron Hawks and Rune Snags.

shamizy's list is pretty tight! I think some gold buildarounds might also be good targets, since those are naturally harder to play (because two colors), but cool to have two of.

I would almost think you could have separate, but fewer, tokens for multicolored cards, as the multicolored cards are making it into fewer decks overall, and wheeling those tokens would probably be a tad easier.

All good options from Onder, especially the ones that a little weaker and require additional pieces to work. I'd say that big thing that you should be aware of if you deploy this kind of system is what problem you're trying to solve. Doubling down on sweet cards is completely fine, but I think it's important to keep in mind why you'd want duplicates of something in the first place to maintain a balanced design.

To that end I'd be a little wary of Braids, Cabal Minion and Wildfire as I think both are already very powerful standalone options as single picks. Love them both and their decks definitely don't come together as often as I'd like, but then again I think for those two it's more a treat to see the signature deck come together every once in a while rather than be a mainstay in my cube.

I'm actually quite interested in this little guy Onder mentioned:

I think this card was released right after I had my vouchers printed up, but this is a perfect card for this system. It does a great job of branching a few different themes and could help serve as a signpost card for a +1/+1 theme or a 2nd card draw matters deck. Hell, you might even be able to do both. I think it's a few cards off, but UG might be able to implement that 2nd card draw theme from Throne of Eldraine Limited in the near future utilizing offerings like:

UG has always been a problem color for me since the beginning of my cubes, but drawing cards seems to be pretty commonplace nowadays. Flesh it out with the cantrips we've already got (damn I wish Explore actually drew the card) and you might have something there. I like that this works with just generically decent UG offerings that draw cards on their own:

I also like that this UG deck can branch into something like Bant +1/+1 counters as a theme as well:

We're not quite there with cross support offerings, but maybe check back in a year or two and well have a full fledged archetype ready to go!

Many good suggestions! I especially like the question “Which problem are you trying to solve?”

I think I’m going with the five cards I already picked yesterday
Legion Angel
Cloudfin Raptor
Gravecrawler
Monastery Swiftspear
Collected Company

But the suggestions you guys offer tempts me to ask for three different vouchers with difference themes and similarities :) Drake Haven is an even better option than flying Raptor but I have sadly cut it from my cube because I have not been able to consitently support self discard. Same with Humans. I decided a few years back that I didn’t want to maintain a certain amount of Humans in the cube at all times. It was simpler to cut tribal. I want no multicolored on these since I am going for 1 voucher and want it neat and simple; one for each color. I figured I want names that a decently famous because it should be fairly easy for the player who gets this to make their decision. I suspect this will be an issue with Legion Angel in a few years. Wilfire is a pretty damn good suggestion in my opinion. I might switch the Swiftspear.

Shamizy
Can you ask your friend to rewrite the text at the bottom to this:

You may trade this Duplicate Voucher for a card on the list.

?

Also can you report back with a $number I’m paying? :D

I think I like Wildfire above Monastery Swiftspear

I am not worried about making this pick so much better than other picks because my cube isn’t a normal draft cube. Players begin the tournament with a random pool of low-powered cards and get better and better cards as the tournament progresses. At the end of each game, the loser bans a card from the winner’s deck. In this way we keep the format pretty balanced. This Duplicate Voucher will be a pretty good card but as soon as it has been traded for another card, that card is just as banable as all the rest :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Shamizy
Can you ask your friend to rewrite the text at the bottom to this:

You may trade this Duplicate Voucher for a card on the list.

?

Careful with that wording. Your suggested wording means everyone can trade their voucher for, say, a Wildfire, and suddenly you have to have four extra Wildfires on hand! I'ld suggest:

"After the draft, you may trade this voucher for a copy of a card on the list in your draft pool. You can't trade multiple vouchers for the same card."

In my experience, you are never going to run Pod as a colorless card. You would kill yourself very quickly. You might splash it, though.

I also think Pod is much more interesting than Collected Company. It's a real puzzle be it in draft, in deckbuilding or play. Collected Company is just value.

Yeah, I don't find CoCo that interesting compared to pod, and you definitely don't need to double up for it to be value. CoCo was really fun when I played it in modern, but pod would be much higher on my list to get tokened.

In my list, I would go for eldritch evolution over CoCo (because I don't run pod currently). Life from the Loam would be another potential option for me, as having it and actually drawing it can be crucial to a lands deck. If not Loam something like Yavimaya Elder or Ranumap Excavator potentially.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, you are never going to run Pod as a colorless card. You would kill yourself very quickly. You might splash it, though.

I also think Pod is much more interesting than Collected Company. It's a real puzzle be it in draft, in deckbuilding or play. Collected Company is just value.

Totally on board. Here's a voucher I made for my cube:

QNxzuky.png

Is Birthing Pod more interesting than Collected Company as a card on the list? My issue is that it can be used as a colorless card.

I'd say that they're just different ways to build a deck. CoCo is to give some extra reach to G/x Midrange lists that want to focus more on combat and outsizing the opponent, Pod is more for toolbox-y plays and maximizing ETBs. If I had to choose 1, I think Pod is just a more interesting puzzle to solve during a draft. It's also definitely a green card because the real power comes from accelerating it out early off a dork (while still paying the Phyrexian cost) and just getting the engine going. It's just way too much chip damage off the Phyrexian mana in a non-green deck over the course of a match.

Also my buddy mentioned that it would only take him a few minutes to generate one for you since it's just replacing stuff on a template. Let me know the exact cards you want to include and I'll get those + the reminder text to him over the weekend. Just use your money on printing out that physical copy ;)

Pod it is then

My list:
Legion Angel
Cloudfin Raptor
Gravecrawler
Wildfire
Birthing Pod

My text:
You may trade Duplicate Voucher for a card on the list.