General The Fixing and I

Or, “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Five-Color Goodstuff Piles.”

In a game of Magic, there are many ways to lose the game. You can of course scoop. You can get beat down by a more proactive deck. You can get out-attritioned by a more reactive deck. You can fail to disrupt/beat down a combo deck before they win.

You can also get mana screwed or flooded.

As cube designers, one of our goals (generally speaking) is to maximize the fun of our players and ourselves via the MTG Cube medium. To generalize further, I would posit that most of us prefer “good games,” in other words, interactive games in which both players have agency regarding their own lines of play as well as the final outcome.

While “losing by failing to interact with combo” is a relevant discussion on these lines, not all cubes even support combo.
But virtually every cube ever existed supports the basic game infrastructure of playing lands to produce mana and cast spells.
This is the argument I want to submit to you today: a better manabase results in better games, and you, a cube designer, should probably be running a better manabase.

Why? Let’s go back to the ways to lose the game. Losing to beats, a value engine, or even a combo is by no means a “bad game.” Your decisions, all the way back to “should i mull this hand?” at the die roll, and maybe even back to “should i take that Thoughtseize/Counterspell/Swords to Plowshares over that cool bomb?” in the draft, very likely affected whether you lost that game.

But how often has a game lost to mana screw or mana flood felt like a good game?

Let’s think about how our manabase affects the likelihood of mana screw/flood occurring, but first, I want to ensure we are all speaking the same language. Going forward in this article, I’ll refer to 3 types of mana-related “failure modes:”
-COLOR SCREW, in which the color screwed player cannot access/produce all the colors of mana needed for their deck to function, resulting in a game loss with uncastable cards stuck in hand. (NOTE: i do not regard what constitutes a core color vs. a splash color to be relevant here, if you lost because you couldn’t make colors to cast what you had in hand and needed to cast, you’re color screwed.)
-MANA SCREW, in which the mana screwed player cannot access a large enough quantity of mana needed for their deck to function, resulting (again) in a game loss with uncastable cards stuck in hand.
-MANA FLOOD, in which the mana flooded player cannot access a sufficient number of their nonland cards for their deck to function, resulting in a game loss.

The scope of this argument will include COLOR SCREW and MANA FLOOD, but not MANA SCREW- maybe a good discussion for a second thread!

First let’s address the problem of COLOR SCREW. This can be easily addressed simply by including more/better fixing lands in our cubes, for example, going up from two cycles of duals to four, or upgrading our duals from Temples to Shocks/Fetches.
Having more lands that produce multiple colors is immensely helpful for gaining access to our deck’s colors. For example, if I have 9 Plains and 7 Islands and 2 Swamps in my deck, that’s how many white and blue and black sources i have in my deck. If however, I have 4 Hallowed Fountains and 4 Godless Shrines and 4 Underground Seas and 3 Plains and 2 Islands in my deck, I now have 11 White sources, 10 Blue sources, and 8 Black sources! (This gets even wilder once fetches get involved.)
One useful and simple way to look at this quantitatively as a cube architect is to divide the number of fixing lands in our cubes by the number of players drafting it. My personal number here is 50 fixers divided amongst 4 players for an average of 12+ per player. (the distribution is 20 fetch/20 dual/10 creaturelands.)
your target may be different based on your design goals, but i encourage you to look critically both at your numbers and your goals. ask yourself, “is my reasoning behind limiting my fixing providing more benefit for my environment and players’ experience than the malus brought to my environment and players’ experience by the increased risk of color screw?”
Be honest with yourself.

Second, let’s address the problem of MANA FLOOD. This is also a fairly simple problem to mitigate through manabase architecture: just run more fetches!
Jason Waddell has actually posted a video demonstrating how this works in deck construction, which I will link here:

…but to summarize, having more fetches in a deck will not significantly increase your MANA SCREWED games, but will significantly reduce your MANA FLOODED games by removing “excess” lands from your deck. In addition, if you’ve crafted your manabase such that your duals are fetchable, the amount of color screw you’re preventing goes down immensely once fetches enter the scene.
One caveat here: in terms of actual utility, fetches have an upper bound roughly equal to the number of fetchable lands in a player’s deck, so it is important to keep this in mind when crafting a mana base. a good basic heuristic is to have at least as many, and usually a few more, fetchable duals than fetches.

To conclude, we have seen that:
1) Mana screw, color screw, and mana flood are the most consistently negative play experiences compared to other sources of games lost.
2) Increasing the quantity and quality of our fixing lands will reduce the amount of color screw our players experience.
3) Increasing the quantity of our fetch lands (within the bounds of actual utility) will reduce the amount of mana flood our players experience.

Regardless of budget (we all have access to sharpies or printers after all), we have the power to improve the play experience of our cube drafters by improving our mana bases. Don’t fear the fixers!

This is actually one of the reasons I'm getting interested in 15-card formats — color screw, mana screw, and mana flooding are way less significant when you start with half of your deck in your hand. We're talking "three color decks are viable with just basic lands" here.

This is so good! Such good read and you have me fully convinced.

However there is a least one way to lose a game that I don’t think is listed above. Or maybe it is listed above and I just don’t recognize it.

Losing a game before drawing any useful spells to interact with opponent’s threats. Example: Drawing your Naturalizes and not your Doom Blades in a situation where opponent is attacking with creatures. Doesn’t this also happen sometimes?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Personal opinion: having more fetches than duals isn't actually a problem, at a deck or environment level. Obviously it's an issue if you can't get fetchable duals at all for your deck, but as a drafter I'd probably rather have 4 fetches and 2 different duals than a 2/4 split for a lot of my decks.

Yeah, the real issue is when you have more fetches than fetchable lands.

It feels kinda shitty to crack, say, Scalding Tarn and realize that you don't actually have any islands or mountains to fetch.

Reactions: dbs
i should have been more clear in my original post: from a DECKBUILDING perspective you just want to have as many fetchable lands or a few more in your deck as you have fetches. from a CUBEBUILDING standpoint you probably want to have at least as many fetchable nonbasics in the cube as you have fetches.

landofMordor

Administrator
Also, to riff a bit on the topic not covered above, Mana Screw:

One way to ensure players curve out sufficiently is by putting different types of curve-smoothing tools in the cube at low MVs.

The primary classes of those curve-smoothing tools that come to mind: mana dorks; cantrips; MDFC lands; early/late mechanics like Cycling and Kicker; and running cheap spells instead of expensive ones, especially spells that scale well into late game (which exist at a variety of power levels, from Deathrite Shaman to Chronomaton).

https://medium.com/@drewjhoyt/proba...ands-in-midrange-decks-with-ramp-4ce779f8733e

^ this is a good resource on the topic for those interested in the math.

Well, fetches and shocks aren't the only duals helpful with preventing mana flood/screw

Scrying helps you get to more or less lands, depending on what you need. Also, Temple of Enlightenment can help you draw your black source faster.
Cycling lands are great topdecks, that can immediately be turned into more gas, which is often actually better than just topdecking another fetch.
The same is thing basically true for the canopies. These draw lands also allow you to play more than 17 lands, thus preventing screw as well.

I strongly think commiting to another color in draft should have consequences and not come virtually for free. And I feel like 3x shock, 2x fetch or something along those lines makes it too easy. Yes, it's still a pick you're giving up, but you weren't playing 45 of your cards anyway.

Last edited:
Great topic. I like how you've laid out some of the benefits of an upgraded mana base. It's definitely something that the average cuber could consider more carefully in planning their cube. Your mana base can set the tone for your environment.

To complexify the discussion a bit, I'll offer a counter perspective as I'm a member of team restrictive fixing.

There's a lot of ways to address fixing, flooding, and smoothing. You can avoid some of the same issues with slow mana bases utilizing some combination of:

Cycle lands deal with flood elegantly, the temples search for/tuck away land, and both can help you dig for needed spells. Bounce lands reuse temples, bounces cycle lands to draw cards, and helps with mana screw (as long as you have another land).

Much like Fetches, Cycle and bounce lands come with their own complex web of interactions: hideaways, draw and discard triggers, etc. However, using these lands comes at a real cost: you can't really support turn 1 aggro, and your cube's power ceiling is lowered. The implications of your mana base needs to line up with your design/format goals.

I personally don't care for the idea of a more "effortless" mana base in my cube. I like splashes to have a stronger risk/reward factor. With restrictions to your mana base you can establish a little more clarity between archetypes, which is something I prefer to the blurring that can come from easy 3-4 color mana bases.

A power-max mana base gives you a blank canvas, but restriction also breeds creativity.

yeah that’s the reference.

i personally find the fetch/dual manabase to be the most pleasing one in existence in terms of gameplay, but you are correct that other methods of manabase architecture can reduce flood/screw in significant ways using different means. but IMO almost any “comes into play tapped” land does impose restrictions on the environment that, for my design goals, are completely unacceptable. for example, i tested the onslaught cycling lands in my current cube, and players were not only dismissive of them in draft, but one of my players tried a couple of them in her manabase and had multiple instances during the night in which they played actively worse than an actual factual basic land…
so i cut them immediately.

(the creature duals, surprisingly, performed much better and are staying in for now. my theory on the disparity is that killing the opponent while providing two colors is so much more powerful than drawing a card OR providing one color that players judged them to be worth the cipt drawback.)

I provide cycling lands in the BLB. Mono-color cyclers can be hard to justify while drafting.

An "effortless" manabase, as others have called it here, also reduces the potential impact of secondary fixing tools, namely treasure/gold tokens and 1 cmc Baubles like chromatic star. Obviously this feeds back into what power bands can support what.

I'm currently happy with 10 "true" fetches. I usually play with 4 people, so that's still up to 2.5 fetches per person, and many of my other lands are non-fetchable anyways.

For cubes operating below "high" power, including several Evolving Wilds and/or variants is something that I've found to be pretty important.

I feel like there is room to discuss what I typically call "Early game flood" and "Late game flood"

Early Game Flood is when you keep a hand of 3 or 4 lands but keep drawing lands for 4 turns in a row thus shutting you off spells.
Late Game Flood is when you have a normal early game but later in the game you start drawing lands multiple turns in a row thus shutting you off spells.

Late Game Flood can be 'solved' with cards like Memorial to Genius and Fetch lands but they will do nothing to help Early Game Flood.

Cards that solve Early Game Flood usually also solve Late Game Flood. Example Temple of Enlightenment.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Saw that coming a mile away :) But daaaamn Jason you make some seriously dope videos. I also like that one with your cube with 100 % Chancellors where you talk about synergy and archetypes until the video cuts you off abruptly! :D
Awww, thanks Vel!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I provide cycling lands in the BLB. Mono-color cyclers can be hard to justify while drafting.

An "effortless" manabase, as others have called it here, also reduces the potential impact of secondary fixing tools, namely treasure/gold tokens and 1 cmc Baubles like chromatic star. Obviously this feeds back into what power bands can support what.

I'm currently happy with 10 "true" fetches. I usually play with 4 people, so that's still up to 2.5 fetches per person, and many of my other lands are non-fetchable anyways.

For cubes operating below "high" power, including several Evolving Wilds and/or variants is something that I've found to be pretty important.
These are some good points. I don't think there's any single one answer here, but as always the adage "what's good in my cube isn't necessarily what's good _for_ my cube" applies here.

in the interest of complete fairness, i will say, while 2/3 of my drafters were fine with my busted custom mana base, one of them did balk a bit when he realized the fetches didn’t even cost life to activate. but games didn’t seem to go long or adversely favor reactive decks so… shrug!

The one free mulligan rule is probably the thing that makes the most difference in my cube to prevent non-games. When I've played without it, it felt like there were 3x the amount of non-games (still not the majority, but a significant amount). It's nice because:
- It's commonly done and widely accepted
- Requires no cube building restrictions except maybe (maybe) restricting combo a bit more
- Mitigates all of mana flood, screw and color screw.

In terms of cube building, the nonbasic lands can do a lot of heavy lifting:
- Anything that fixes mitigates color flood.
- Creaturelands, utility lands, cycling lands, and fetches to a smaller extent mitigate mana flood. By doing so, they mitigate mana screw as well, because more lands can be played.
- Bouncelands mitigate mana screw. By doing so, they mitigate mana flood as well because fewer lands can be played.
- MDFCs to a great extent and temples to a lesser extent mitigate everything.

A slower environment also mitigates all kinds of mana screw by allowing more time to recover from stumbles and use smoothing mechanics, like the tapped lands above, cycling, etc. Slower doesn't necessarily mean higher CMC, though it correlates. By slower, I mean that threats are less urgent to answer, which equates to lower power level threats.

----------------------------------------

One danger I see in making color fixing extraordinarily each is that decks may feel samey, because all of them being 5-colors means they can all play all cards. This reduced deck identity is one of the reasons why I don't turn up my fixing proportion to higher numbers (20-25%). I appreciate the color system of Magic in draft for various reasons:
- It creates different feeling decks as stated above. This is important for replayability.
- It creates a complementary goods economy that naturally creates "synergies" between cards of the same color.
- It reduces the number of choices possible from boosters at later stages of the draft. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on where your format is in terms of "rails".
- It tapers power deltas, since the "can I cast this?" dimension has be evaluated against the "is this the best card?" dimension.

I suspect high synergy cubes benefit more from more color fixing and lower synergy cubes (like mine) since they already have the "micro archetype" dimension across colors which fulfills the traditional role of the color.

completely agree with the free mulligan rule and reducing pressure in an environment.

i don’t agree that all 4-5 color decks are samey though. just as a concrete example, in our cube night, my deck was Sultai Artifacts/Magecraft running Hangarback Walker, Walking Ballista, Emry, and Trinket Mage, plus a small package of magecraft threats, and splashing RW for Breya as a top end recursive threat and Kaleidoscorch as part of my Gifts Ungiven pile.
my wife’s deck was Gruul Domain Tokens splashing WUB for Ferrous and more gold cards to trigger Ferrous, with the main threats being General Ferrous Rokiric and Titania to pump out large tokens and swing for lethal.
these two decks are both 5c, but they operated on totally different game plans and contained wildly different cards and micro archetypes. i wouldn’t call them “samey.”

When you try to express your thoughts and then Inscho and japahn come along and express your thoughts much better, clearer and more detailed than you ...

Btw, threats that are less urgent to remove make magic a lot more fun for me. I like it when most decks won't punish a little stumbling immediately and allow me another draw step or two to get a leg into the game.

I think the danger of "sameness" is over time, not necessarily in a single draft. The most powerful collections of cards that work well together can come together basically whevener desired. There isn't much tension between making a certain plan work and how to pay for that plan.

I think the danger of "sameness" is over time, not necessarily in a single draft. The most powerful collections of cards that work well together can come together basically whevener desired. There isn't much tension between making a certain plan work and how to pay for that plan.
that’s a valid concern, but you need to also take into account 1) how often your cube is drafted, 2) how often you adjust the list, and 3) how hard your drafters are trying to “spike the draft.”
for example, mine is drafted about every two months, not necessarily by the same group of people, and i am sure to make updates between every draft. in addition, my players are not attempting to spike the draft, so the format is in no imminent danger of being “solved.”
a big part of the reason i record decks drafted in my cube blog is to keep an eye out for meta stagnation draft to draft…. in my opinion it’s something that can be actively measured and prevented simply through good cube management, and does not REQUIRE fixing to be powered down as a mitigation activity.