General The Fixing and I

About the free mulligan add-on

I have enjoyed a variant where players instead of having one free mulligan to 7 cards, they draw two hands of 7 cards and may look at both. Then put one of them on the bottom of the library.

-Still two hands.
-Much faster.
-Gives the player the information about the ‘second hand’ initially instead of after they decided to take a mulligan. This should lead to even less non-games since there will be times where the second hand is worse than the first.

Amulet of Vigor cube when?

In all seriousness, I think one discrepancy we're not highlighting enough here might be the difference between actual sameyness and potential sameyness. Actual sameyness refers to whether or not the decks actually turn out the same, whereas potential sameyness refers to whether or not the decks could have turned out the same. This is a bit of an abstract point, but it's the difference between ending up with decks based on your preferences and ending up with decks based on the mechanics of the draft.

Blacksmithy's example of two wildly different '5C' decks then shows how two 5C decks may have little in the way of actual sameyness. However, Japahn's point isn't actually about specific decks being similar or different, it's about the ease of switching between the two, how much a drafter is required to react to the cards that come to them. Specifically, we need to choose whether color is going to be the main restrictor of whether cards play nicely together or whether unity of gameplan is the chief determinant of deckbuilding harmony.

This of course assumes that I'm interpreting your viewpoints correctly.

------

On a different note and with the above Breya-splashing example in mind, I think we can also expand on Japahn's point on power deltas, by saying that fixing may be more responsible for exacerbating power level delta issues than for creating 5c goodstuff out of thin air. If your good stuff is good enough (e.g. if Breya is far enough above the average power of cards in your cube), you're going to tend to splash for Breya. However, if Breya is not far enough above par to make the splash worth it, you're less likely to include her in your deck. This can be expanded out to your cube as a whole--if the power band is relatively narrow, there's a lot less incentive to splash than in a bomb-heavy cube. This observation then helps explain why lower-powered cubes tend to have few problems when you import a high-powered manabase, as the cards are all relatively clustered in terms of power level.

------

This then begs the question of how we optimize mana bases to maximize fun. The answer is going to be different for different people, but generally I support customs in this realm, as there's little reason to suspect that 'broken' lands are going to break your cube, especially if all permutations of those cards get something relatively equally 'broken.' Also, it's a lot easier to sell people on custom lands than on custom spells, in my experience, as so many people proxy their shocks/fetches/duals/allied triomes/guildgates/sharpied Terramorphic Expanses already.

I have enjoyed a variant where players instead of having one free mulligan to 7 cards, they draw two hands of 7 cards and may look at both. Then put one of them on the bottom of the library.

-Still two hands.
-Much faster.
-Gives the player the information about the ‘second hand’ initially instead of after they decided to take a mulligan. This should lead to even less non-games since there will be times where the second hand is worse than the first.
ah yes, the Backup Plan mulligan method. this is pretty sweet actually.

Specifically, we need to choose whether color is going to be the main restrictor of whether cards play nicely together or whether unity of gameplan is the chief determinant of deckbuilding harmony.
For me- and i am by no means the cube authority- the answer to this is EASILY “i want unity of gameplan to be in the drivers seat.” if you’re at my table drafting GWB and see a UR card that fits your strategy, i want you to be able to take it and find a way to make the fixing work.

This of course assumes that I'm interpreting your viewpoints correctly.

------

On a different note and with the above Breya-splashing example in mind, I think we can also expand on Japahn's point on power deltas, by saying that fixing may be more responsible for exacerbating power level delta issues than for creating 5c goodstuff out of thin air. If your good stuff is good enough (e.g. if Breya is far enough above the average power of cards in your cube), you're going to tend to splash for Breya. However, if Breya is not far enough above par to make the splash worth it, you're less likely to include her in your deck. This can be expanded out to your cube as a whole--if the power band is relatively narrow, there's a lot less incentive to splash than in a bomb-heavy cube. This observation then helps explain why lower-powered cubes tend to have few problems when you import a high-powered manabase, as the cards are all relatively clustered in terms of power level.
This actually goes back to your previous quote - if you’re building a synergistic deck and you see a risky splash that goes perfectly in the gameplan, that doesn’t mean the risky splash is necessarily a power outlier in the cube. Breya is pretty good but i wouldn’t say she is the best creature in the cube- but i already had Emry and a bunch of other artifact synergy, i’d picked up speculative UR and UW duals early in the draft when all i knew was “i’m in blue,” then she came along late in the draft and was perfect for my artifacts deck, and i knew i could pull off the splash, so i did.

No, and that's a good point! Sorry, I should have distinguished those two segments more by picking a different example. However, I do think that the idea holds true, that more fixing leads to more splashing in large-delta'd cubes than that same fixing would lead to in cubes with smaller deltas.

No, and that's a good point! Sorry, I should have distinguished those two segments more by picking a different example. However, I do think that the idea holds true, that more fixing leads to more splashing in large-delta'd cubes than that same fixing would lead to in cubes with smaller deltas.
oh yeah, i completely agree with that. if it’s easy to splash and the power band is wide, you’re just gonna do it if you are drafting to win because it increases your deck’s quality per slot so much.

conversely, if you have a narrow power band with great fixing, i think you’re still going to see plenty of splashing, but for different reasons- grabbing off-color, on-plan cards for example.
or, if you’re in, say, Mardu, you might splash a counterspell because you just don’t have access to stack interaction outside of a splash. the motivations change but the result is the same- people’s average deck quality increases thanks to ease of splashing.

landofMordor

Administrator
@japahn , @ravnic , and others have voiced a common piece of Cube design wisdom, which is that restrictive fixing breeds creativity and that better fixing homogenizes an environment, making it too easy to splash. There's some complexity here that I'd like to unpack a little bit (and forgive my loose paraphrases, as I'm too lazy to properly curate quotes).

0. The first idea is one that @Zoss mentions above, which is that drafters splash because of the promise of win equity. Toralf Severin never would have P2P1'ed Dream Trawler at Worlds if he didn't believe the juice was worth the squeeze. Good manafixing makes the "squeeze" less energy-intensive, sure, but the "juice" has to be present to make a splash worthwhile! Even with a perfect 5-color manabase, I'd play Mono-Red Aggro if there were no power outliers or out-of-pie effects worth the risk of color screw.

1. "Restrictions breed creativity". Overall I only have beef with this phrase when it's implied that restrictions in the manabase are the same as other Cube design restrictions. While Cube curators may benefit to some extent from restrictions, drafters will always be restricted in some way or another by the format, and the amount of fixing isn't necessarily the primary restriction on a drafter.

Fixing is in a constant push-and-pull with tempo, power and speed in a format (which Japahn is correct to point out). "How much win equity do I gain by splashing?", "If I stumble on mana, will I be punished?", and "If I draft this fixing land, what's the opportunity cost?" are all questions that govern the final composition of a cube format, meaning that there's no 1-to-1 correlation between fixing and restriction.

Even good mana comes with requirements -- it just shifts from an automatically predetermined number of colors (like Retail Limited) to the next-order restrictions that are inherent in deckbuilding inside the Magic game engine. If a cube devolves into 5-color soup every time good fixing is added, the tempo and speed of that format are more to blame than the number of fixing lands. (KHM and MH2 are prime examples of Tier 1 decks being heavily multicolor despite terrible fixing land quality and quantity.)

Another related idea that doesn't merit its own paragraph: Couldn't it also be said that too little manafixing is a "restriction that chokes creativity"? Imagine an alternate universe's Innistrad BUG Spider Spawning deck that couldn't support all 3 colors due to poor fixing -- a "creative" drafter might see the unique deckbuilding opportunity but be unable to live the dream.

2. "Too much fixing homogenizes a format". Again, speed and tempo are crucial, as are metagame considerations. Legacy allows 4x of the most broken fixing cards in Magic, and yet the best deck in the format is UR Delver right now. Two colors. The same could be said for Modern, where UR Prowess, GW Heliod, and Dom's own GR Hardened Scales are recent standouts. Good mana doesn't mean that 5-color greed is a good deck. Even when 5-color greed is good, a strongly proactive deck like Naya Zoo or Wasteland Delver is heavily favored against that deck, so it might not be the right deck for a given draft table.

3. "Good manafixing is a high-powered cube design choice". I think this idea comes from the exorbitant, ridiculous expense of a eternal-Constructed-quality manabase, combined with the atrocious fixing that WotC intentionally injects into their Retail Limited low-powered environments. But just because WotC is financially incentivized to create demand for the game engine's most important card type doesn't mean that the design decision is inherently low-powered.

My own low-power cube (https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/barad_dur) runs high quality fixing lands, and the CC link is actually out of date since I added 2-3 more cycles of fetches and shocks. Even so, the format is characterized by durdly little engines and grindy Riptidean value loops. In fact, the extra fixing actually enables all kinds of pivot and penta archetypes for drafters to express their creativity. I've carefully tuned the aggro decks in this format to thrive and punish greedy manabases, so it did come at some cost to this format's speed and tempo, but the point is that losing to mana/color screw doesn't have to be synonymous with low-power cube design.

To illustrate from the opposite direction, a prior version of my high-power cube (https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/1313) could have still supported 13-mountain aggro decks and mostly-blue tap-out control decks even if its fixing lands were Temples and gainlands.

4. Now, to @Zoss 's point, good manafixing is a higher-skill design choice. When there are no handholds to say "oh, too bad these cards are uncastable", deckbuilding relies more heavily on card eval skill and the ability to create a focused gameplan, making more trainwrecks possible by unskilled players. One also loses out on some luck-driven wins if the opponent rarely gets mana screwed. (To be clear, "high skill" =/= "better". No value judgment here.)

5. "Good manafixing undermines the color pie and reduces replayability". Is this true? In a block like the RTR-GTC-DGM block, players could play 10 color pairs, plus an additional 5 monocolors (even though the latter were baaaaad). [3-color decks weren't supported (to my knowledge), due to the bad fixing and the low win equity gained by splashing.] That makes 15 total playable color combos.

In a cube that leverages a good manabase to promote deck diversity, where 2-to-4-color decks are equally playable, you get 10 guilds, 10 tricolor, 5 quad-color, and 1 WUBRG for a total of 26 playable combos. Almost twice as many viable decks.

As for the color pie, I'd hazard a guess that the color pie has value in cube design for making decks feel different to pilot. All I can add is, subjectively, I find Mardu very different to pilot than Naya, so I personally don't see a problem with it. Even if I'm able to cast all 5 colors, White is still unique for its spot removal just as Blue is special for cantrips and stack interaction.

Thanks for bearing with that ramble, and for sparking that train of thought.

if you’re at my table drafting GWB and see a UR card that fits your strategy, i want you to be able to take it and find a way to make the fixing work.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense with your mana base. I don't like the idea of this at all. I need "greedy" includes to come at a higher cost and for there to be a chance it doesn't work out. This also negates some of the tension you would get in signaling, and I particularly enjoy that dynamic.

0. The first idea is one that @Zoss mentions above, which is that drafters splash because of the promise of win equity. Toralf Severin never would have P2P1'ed Dream Trawler at Worlds if he didn't believe the juice was worth the squeeze. Good manafixing makes the "squeeze" less energy-intensive, sure, but the "juice" has to be present to make a splash worthwhile! Even with a perfect 5-color manabase, I'd play Mono-Red Aggro if there were no power outliers or out-of-pie effects worth the risk of color screw.

1. "Restrictions breed creativity".
Agree that this can't be taken as dogma. It's nuanced, and your explanation was great.

2. "Too much fixing homogenizes a format". Again, speed and tempo are crucial, as are metagame considerations. Legacy allows 4x of the most broken fixing cards in Magic, and yet the best deck in the format is UR Delver right now. Two colors. The same could be said for Modern, where UR Prowess, GW Heliod, and Dom's own GR Hardened Scales are recent standouts. Good mana doesn't mean that 5-color greed is a good deck. Even when 5-color greed is good, a strongly proactive deck like Naya Zoo or Wasteland Delver is heavily favored against that deck, so it might not be the right deck for a given draft table.
Well, constructed has a crucial difference from limited - if everyone's playing blue in limited, you have incentives not to play blue. This makes limited more enjoyable to me because my favorite aspect of limited is having to be scrappy. It's about finding the lanes, either in terms of colors or archetypes that are open, constantly underdrafted, and building something awesome out of them. This naturally creates variety in what sorts of decks I play (and it's telling that I don't play constructed because I don't like playing the same deck over and over).

This is more of an issue with a theoretical mana base like "all lands are WUBRG with no drawback" which we were talking about in some thread recently. It's probably still ok with a n0-life payment Prismatic Vista manabase, since it requires you to fetch a land that will solidify in a given color for the remainder of the game. But it's not black and white - better fixing does tend to homogenize an environment, and that's a good thing (to me as a player) when your archetypes are feeling railroaded, but a bad thing (again to me as a player) when they are already feeling open. I'm just saying "there can be too much fixing in some situations", but I agree that "more fixing is what most synergy cubes should push for". I'm not sure about "more fixing is what most cubes should push for."

Also keep in mind the sideboard real estate you give up by going up to 25% fixing is relevant and removes space to narrow build-arounds, and at certain skill levels, managing your mana base AND the spells can feel overwhelming.

Also note that in Legacy, mana disruption is relevant, and in most cubes it isn't. I'm not certain what Legacy would looks like without Wasteland and Blood Moon, but I'm far from knowledgable in Legacy.

3. "Good manafixing is a high-powered cube design choice". I think this idea comes from the exorbitant, ridiculous expense of a eternal-Constructed-quality manabase, combined with the atrocious fixing that WotC intentionally injects into their Retail Limited low-powered environments. But just because WotC is financially incentivized to create demand for the game engine's most important card type doesn't mean that the design decision is inherently low-powered.

My own low-power cube (https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/barad_dur) runs high quality fixing lands, and the CC link is actually out of date since I added 2-3 more cycles of fetches and shocks. Even so, the format is characterized by durdly little engines and grindy Riptidean value loops. In fact, the extra fixing actually enables all kinds of pivot and penta archetypes for drafters to express their creativity. I've carefully tuned the aggro decks in this format to thrive and punish greedy manabases, so it did come at some cost to this format's speed and tempo, but the point is that losing to mana/color screw doesn't have to be synonymous with low-power cube design.
I didn't see this argument anywhere here, I thought the general feeling was that good fixing is completely fine in low power.

5. "Good manafixing undermines the color pie and reduces replayability". Is this true? In a block like the RTR-GTC-DGM block, players could play 10 color pairs, plus an additional 5 monocolors (even though the latter were baaaaad). [3-color decks weren't supported (to my knowledge), due to the bad fixing and the low win equity gained by splashing.] That makes 15 total playable color combos.

In a cube that leverages a good manabase to promote deck diversity, where 2-to-4-color decks are equally playable, you get 10 guilds, 10 tricolor, 5 quad-color, and 1 WUBRG for a total of 26 playable combos. Almost twice as many viable decks.
You are considering that each color combo is equally different from the others, but WUBR vs UBRG have more in common than WU vs RG.

When I say "bad" fixing, I'm still talking about much better fixing than any retail limited environment ever, though. For me maximized diversity in colors is when 2 and 3 color decks are the most common, and about equally.

Yeah, this makes perfect sense with your mana base. I don't like the idea of this at all.
i do want to make something perfectly clear here. i’m not arguing that “your manabase should be like my manabase.” clearly my personal custom manabase is extremely particular to my budget constraints and desired environment.

i am absolutely arguing that “you should continually look critically at your own manabase and tweak it to provide a better play experience for your group.”
i’m also arguing that manabases similar to those found in eternal constructed formats provide a lot of positives both in overall play experience and in particular deck construction synergies, which is why i’ve taken their basic dual/fetch structure and gone even further in my own environment.

that may not be the correct direction for your environment, but just because that specific change is incorrect, don’t assume that “no change” is correct. there is always room for improvement!

1. "Restrictions breed creativity". + lots of good points

Well, constructed has a crucial difference from limited - if everyone's playing blue in limited, you have incentives not to play blue. This makes limited more enjoyable to me because my favorite aspect of limited is having to be scrappy. It's about finding the lanes, either in terms of colors or archetypes that are open, constantly underdrafted, and building something awesome out of them. This naturally creates variety in what sorts of decks I play (and it's telling that I don't play constructed because I don't like playing the same deck over and over).

This actually touches on part of what I mean by restrictions breed creativity. Resourcefulness comes to mind a lot as something I enjoy during the draft process. If I have tons of flexibility in mana, I'm less impacted by the moves of my fellow drafters. If I'm more limited in mana, I have to be more mindful of the moves my neighbors are making, and be more anticipatory and "scrappy."

I was careful to use the term blank canvas in referring to cubes with robust fixing suites, because a blank canvas is an equally valid creative space.

I didn't see this argument anywhere here, I thought the general feeling was that good fixing is completely fine in low power.

100%. Great fixing can be utilized at any power level. Restrictive mana fixing cannot.

i do want to make something perfectly clear here. i’m not arguing that “your manabase should be like my manabase.” clearly my personal custom manabase is extremely particular to my budget constraints and desired environment.

I didn't take it that way. My comment was celebrating our differences of opinions more than anything.

My personal take on things said in the myriad posts above...

As japahn puts well,
WUBR vs UBRG have more in common than WU vs RG.
Three colors (and less) support the majority of deck strategies. This is evident from most of MTGs history, where decks in many formats (constructed and otherwise) tend to be 2 or 3 colors at most, with higher color counts being due to a special set of circumstances. In numerical terms, 20 of 26 of the mana combos are supported at 3 colors. (technically 21 of 27... artifact decks ;) )

I also think that mechanical cohesiveness starts capping at 3 colors. Mechanics like "lands", "reanimation", "spells matter" and so on can usually be mechanically supported in three or less colors, and often WotC's support for various niches of the game stops at three colors too. Past that and the color pie starts making the cohesion fail when looking at a single tight-knit strategy.

Another way of saying the above: Above three colors, internal deck synergy (mechanical cohesion across cards) starts to get supplanted by deck power increase, either via consistency increase, or via actual power level of card increase.
Splashing R for Kaleidoscorch in a BUG graveyard deck will not do much to advance the deckplan of the BUG deck, but will supplant an in-color-combo removal option with a more powerful effect. In this case, it might be replacing a chainer's edict that would fit as well into the decks GY-based plan while being in color. It's not making the deck run differently from a broad viewpoint.
Or a RWU spells deck that splashes black for sedgemoor witch. Not because the witch suddenly adds a brand new dimension to the deck, but because it's a powerful and effective version of the young pyromancer effect. Similarly, if it also grabs a murderous cut, that isn't changing the deck's game plan. It's just replacing a UWR removal option with a B delve kill spell.

As such I, like japahn and others, aim to keep decks to like... 2.5 colors. There are a myriad of strategy possibilities available at that count, and the decks tend to avoid being able to outcompete their compatriots by scrounging consistency from parts of the color pie their core strategy isn't normally interested in.

All said, I think that there can easily be too much fixing in an environment; a point where deck building creativity makes way for power optimization. I remain "afraid" of a 5 color pile, because that means I failed in my goal of keeping game plans cohesive and structured.

Last edited:
My
I also think that mechanical cohesiveness starts capping at 3 colors. Mechanics like "lands", "reanimation", "spells matter" and so on can usually be mechanically supported in three or less colors, and often WotC's support for various niches of the game stops at three colors too. Past that and the color pie starts making the cohesion fail when looking at a single tight-knit strategy.

Another way of saying the above: Above three colors, internal deck synergy (mechanical cohesion across cards) starts to get supplanted by deck power increase, either via consistency increase, or via actual power level of card increase.

While I agree with most of your words, I doubt these are actually true.

- Proliferate or +1/+1 counters has support in every color
- Artifacts have support in every color, even though green is a rare sight
- Madness has stuff going on in everything except white
- Blink has more enablers in white/blue, but every color has etbs and stuff to abuse them
- Landfall has nice tools in everything except black maybe
- Strixhaven turned spellslingers from 2 to 3 colors into a theme that can easily have support and a few payoffs everywhere
- Token and sacrifice strategies are quite well supported in everything except blue
- Spell velocity (storm, second spell, drawtwo ...) has gotten support in all colors of the rainbow, even just looking at the past ~3 years

On a related note, I like supporting archetypes in 3-4 colors, yet craft my environment in a way that decks are something like 2.0 colors on average. This way there is an interesting tension during the draft what to make your second color when you picked up some nice green dredge tools. By keeping your cards indidually flexible enough there are also other options, like creating a hybrid of themes like black/green dredge/lifegain. I like to be scrappy during a draft.

Scrappy is my new favorite word.

Last edited:

-Still two hands.
-Much faster.
Doing this in a 15-card format would be sweet. Degenerate, but sweet.

- Blink has more enablers in white/blue, but every color has etbs and stuff to abuse them
- Strixhaven turned spellslingers from 2 to 3 colors into a theme that can easily have support and a few payoffs everywhere
- Token and sacrifice strategies are quite well supported in everything except blue
- Spell velocity (storm, second spell, drawtwo ...) has gotten support in all colors of the rainbow, even just looking at the past ~3 years
it’s kinda funny to me that most of these (except proliferate and madness) are themes in my current environment… i absolutely want drafters to be picking up Sedgemoor Witch and Dragonsguard Elite to add consistency to their URgwb spells deck.

On a related note, I like supporting archetypes in 3-4 colors, yet craft my environment in a way that decks are something like 1.8 colors on average.
i always tried to force at *least* 2.5 colors when i drafted your arena cube… maybe that’s why i always lost to japahn lol

i always tried to force at *least* 2.5 colors when i drafted your arena cube… maybe that’s why i always lost to japahn lol
CubeCobra bots exacerbate this because they love to pick fixing, so it creates an incentive for fellow human players to draft few colors. You get passed a lot of card quality, but not much fixing. I bet it would've been more correct to be 2.5-3.0 colors in Ravnic's Arena Cube in a pod with only fellow human drafters.

It's my scholarly way of saying that I like playing garbage.

On a related note, I like supporting archetypes in 3-4 colors, yet craft my environment in a way that decks are something like 2.0 colors on average. This way there is an interesting tension during the draft what to make your second color when you picked up some nice green dredge tools. By keeping your cards indidually flexible enough there are also other options, like creating a hybrid of themes like black/green dredge/lifegain. I like to be scrappy during a draft.

This is a pretty small slice of the mechanic selection, and I'm anyways not talking about how many colors various keywords and card types are spread across. I'm talking about how many colors various specific deck plans actually use to achieve their specific end goal. How many 4 color madness decks have you seen across the formats of Magic? Or in various formats are they usually RUG(3) rakdos(2), simic(2) or grixis(3) colors, depending?

Artifacts strategies are usually izzet(2), esper(3), or jeskai(3), and four color artifact strategies that actually gain from being four colors are few and far between except maybe in EDH.

magecraft is in all five colors, but most spells-matter decks are still UR and their overall gameplan can generally be defined and achieved by the card selections of just the UR decks.

I could go on.

My point: one deck plan, mechanically, usually caps in synergistic efficacy at 3 colors. A deck either doesn't need more than this to achieve their goals, or is adding colors not for any added synergy reason, but instead to add to the winrate on that same actual gameplay plan.

Last edited:
My point: one deck plan, mechanically, usually caps in synergistic efficacy at 3 colors. A deck either doesn't need more than this to achieve their goals, or is adding colors not for any added synergy reason, but instead to add to the winrate on that same actual gameplay plan.
Double posting here, but my original selection of "deck" examples was bad. And usage of the word "mechanic" on it's own:
"lands", "reanimation", "spells matter"
I really mean a single focused deck plan, like "Temur Energy". "Lands" is tied to a couple RGw strategies for me, but in general is definitely extremely broad.

This GWB deck I recently drafted on my cube has a very specific set of interlocking goals in mind that don't significantly change if more colors are splashed:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/60ca6af72f4d2a1041c8db6b
This deck is strategically flexing between going wide and tall depending on the game state and particular cards drawn, giving a robust plan of attack in multiple situations, using Ghave as a centerpiece and Maja as a secondary centerpiece.. There are support spells to increase consistency and recur important pieces. Removal is admittedly too light, but that isn't because there aren't options in GWB. The bots just hate me.

I would really struggle to find anything in red or blue that actually changes this gameplan in a way that G, B, or W couldn't also provide, or that changes it significantly period.

Murmuring Mystic could provide a stream of tokens... but I don't run many spells and... a token producer is already central to the deck plan, so nothing new. A counterspell could just be valorous stance and achieve 95% of the goal of a counter in this type of list, and counters don't really change the strategy, it would just be a different form of permission. Blue card draw and discard isn't changing anything with the deck except probably being more efficient than available GWB options.

Red burn is just removal (available in GW and B) that can also go to face. Could pick up draw or discard, but wouldn't add anything unique as mentioned. Red token producers aren't doing anything new either. Red aggressive creatures wouldn't add a new angle. just make some of the creatures getting counters now be red. Artifact payoffs just wouldn't fit here at all. A phoenix would just be a recurring body, but now in red.

Master of Death is one option currently in my list that could make me tempted to run a blue source as a recurring sac fodder/combat fodder/scry engine. But that wouldn't actually change the decks overall goals, and could just as easily be Bloodghast or similar.

I think this holds true in most situations except for specifically a five-color-matters deck like Alfonzo talks about. In the vast majority of situations where 4 and 5 color decks are appearing, I think they are doing mechanically the same things that a 3 or even less color deck is doing, but now powering themselves up by reaching around the color pie.

this is probably true. my question would be, why’s it a bad thing to give drafters the ability to add to their winrate by pulling in a few synergistic cards outside their normal colors?

this is probably true. my question would be, why’s it a bad thing to give drafters the ability to add to their winrate by pulling in a few synergistic cards outside their normal colors?
Because it drops the winrate of decks with fewer colors that don't do that. This is of course assuming that the 4/5 color choices are being made prudently and actually are adding to the winrate. In an extreme situation this restricts the total number of viable deck color combinations significantly, since having 4 or 5 colors is heavily favored. In a totally black and white situation that leaves you with 6 out of 27 viable color combinations.

you’re always going to be making trade offs as an architect and drafter. i can’t really justify supporting mono red aggro in my list because why in the world would a player ignore the 15 lands i’ve seeded in the cube for each player and go mono red? but i find three+ color midrangey decks to be way more fun to draft and pilot than stuff like mono red aggro or UW control, so i made the trade off to properly support those kinds of decks. i know fun is subjective, but even in a cube that supports mono colors and has bad fixing, i’m gonna try to force three color+ decks because those are more fun to me. i don’t think it’s wrong to properly support decks you want to see come together in your cube. i also think that it’s easier to weave multiple archetypes into an environment and even a single deck when more colors are available, because players can get the enablers and payoffs they need from a larger % of the card pool thanks to having the adequate fixing to pull from 3+ colors to get their build arounds and enablers to fit together. it also allows you to actually use more of your pool because you are running a bunch of spells and a bunch of lands and a small sideboard, rather than a bunch of spells and a couple lands and a massive sideboard. obviously these outcomes may not be desirable for everyone, but i think if you haven’t given really good fixing in a cube a fair try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

landofMordor

Administrator
Good conversation here, thanks for the replies @japahn @inscho and others, but it sparks an additional question from me: why is worse fixing more “scrappy”?

in retail limited, there are some amount of games where I’m locked into my lane such that it’s correct to pick Reave Soul over Questing Beast (which I did many times in pack 3s of ELD). It gets even worse in heavy gold sets like RTR or IKO. I’m not actually fighting other players for maindeckable cards cuz we’re all already siloed into retail limited draft archetypes (although I guess im scrapping to make 23 C+ or better cards).

in a high fixing density format, a greater %age of cards are viable picks in each pack — not only the lands, but the spells — which to me sounds more scrappy, since drafters are more free to pick powerful cards and shoulder into others’ lanes. More picks are fought over more vigorously, ime.

Same thing about fewer sideboard slots. I never use all 15 slots anyways, and so fewer sounds scrappier to me.

I also feel riptiders are uniquely well-suited to know that one can mimic any environment via Cube, even a Legacy format with Wastelands where 4-color isn’t always optimal :) but otherwise @japahn’s points are well taken

Then again, maybe it’s all just semantics about scrappiness that went over my head, lol.

"Worse" and "better" are terms thrown around here, but I dont think they are quite what we are going for. In my cube most of my lands are premier fixing from sets throughout magic. Lands that see play across constructed and limited formats. It's like saying 24 carat gold is "worse" than iridium alloy because it costs less per ounce or something.

To me a legitimately worse fixing selection would be to remove half of the lands from my cube without any other structural changes, creating an increase in scarcity and less ability to develop fixing in draft.

What is being discussed is not that, it's fixing offerings that have ample selections for making a solid manabase, but that dont readily open themselves up to more and more colors, namely through fetch+fetchable relationships.

The "scrappiness" for me comes in needing to prioritize land picks higher in fewer colors because there is less of that easy relationship. It's in selecting good filtering, cantrips, baubles, and other non land fixing options to help ensure the success of the game plan. It's in carefully selecting splashes or third colors that strictly improve the gameplan and provide a needed function. Pushing the decisionmaking regarding the mana base into the deck as a whole rather than offering the manabase as a near-freely moldable foundation.

Harrow and Beanstalk Giant in the deck I linked above were specific pickups to help with colors, not because I necessarily wanted or needed ramp effects.

Tension. Decisionmaking. Buzz words.