The Grand Odyssey

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Introduction

Once upon a time, someone with too much time on their hands, and too little opportunities to do live drafts with one of their two cubes (curse you COVID-19!) thought it was a good idea to start a third cube. I may not have a lot of opportunities to draft my cubes, even under normal circumstances, but variety is the spice of life, and even if it doesn't lead to an actual IRL cube, it's a cool thought experiment at the very least.

Cube link (caution! extremely work in progress!): https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/tgo

Aims and Constraints

Before I start diving in head first, I better define what kind of cube I'm actually trying to build here.
  • Odyssey remastered++
  • Weed out pet peeves and design mistakes
  • Modern set design sensibilities
  • Reprints from other sets are okay
  • Tue to block look and feel
  • Replicate a (sort of) retail limited the draft experience
Let's expound on these aims a bit.

Odyssey remastered++
This cube is about Odyssey block, and it should be recognisable as such. That means I want to include a lot of cards from the block, though it's probably not feasible to include only cards from the block in conjunction with the next point. This also means that what's already available in Odyssey block should largely dictate the themes and archetypes available in draft. If possible, I want to avoid importing keywords from other sets and work with what we have, mechanics-wise at least.

Weed out pet peeves and design mistakes
Odyssey has a lot of highlights, but it also has a lot of less ideal components that I want to get rid of. First and foremost, it's known for the color imbalanced it introduced to limited play. Where the set Odyssey itself was normal, Torment skewed the numbers by pushing black and downplaying green and white. What do I mean? Well, Torment contained 26 blue cards, and 26 red cards. Close to the baseline for a small set at that time. Black, however, had a whopping 41 (!) cards in the same set, and green and white both had a mere 20, less than half of that. I'm sure you can imagine how that would affect the draft. The third set in the block, Judgment, reversed the balance, including, once again, 26 cards for both blue and red, but this time containing only 16 (!) black cards, to white and green's 32. Mark Rosewater has gone on record (twice) that color imbalanced limited formats are not going to return, giving them the full 10 points on the Storm Scale. Since this cube is about Odyssey block as whole, and the colors actually got about the same amount of cards in the whole block, I am definitely not going to bother with baking this color imbalance into my cube. Trying to prove it can be done when WotC themselves admits it was a mistake would be an act of hubris. Let's not go there.

Another personal pet peeve of mine is how protection affects limited play. Imagine how you would feel if, after drafting a cool monoblack deck in this cube, your first round opponent drops a Phantom Centaur on turn 4 (or heaven forbid, turn 3 off of a Werebear). I loathe protection from on creatures, especially ones that need to be killed or you're dead. Odyssey block had quite a few of them, and while not every one of those is problematic (looking at you, Commander Eesha), those that have permanent protection from a color are mostly out. I will likely make an exception for at least some of Iridiscent Angel and those cards involving a cost (e.g. Glory or Resilient Wanderer), but expect to see zero copies of Mystic Enforcer, Treetop Sentinel, and Mystic Crusader.

Lastly, I would be remiss not to mention Upheaval. Let's avoid the broken limited cards, shall we.

Modern set design sensibilities
That said, Odyssey is a block from a different era of design. Since Odyssey WotC has matured and refined their design principles a lot. Do they still make mistakes? Oh lord, they do! However, when you look at how cohesive modern era sets are compared to the... sparse mechanical identities of yore, it's obvious Odyssey block has a lot of room to grow into a more modern draft experience.

One of the major cornerstones of modern set designs are the marquee gold uncommons that tell a drafter what's cooking in limited. Thunderclap Wyvern shows you {W/U} is about flyers in this limited environment, Drana's Emissary tells you {W/B} has a lifegain theme, etc. This is a strategy I also want to be using, but Odyssey is relatively sparse on gold cards...

Reprints from other sets are okay
Which is why I will be allowing reprints (preprints?) from other sets. As a quick example, {G/W} is largely devoid of a theme in Odyssey block, other than their hatred of black, but I already mentioned I'm not going to include protection from black, let alone have it be the mechanical identity of one of my color pairs. Instead, I'll be looking at the phantom creatures (Phantom Tiger and friends) that were printed in Judgment. These would go along well both with a +1/+1 counters theme and with an aura theme (because if you pump the creature with, say, an Elephant Guide, it becomes essentially immune to combat damage). Both have been supported many times in the color pair, so I feel borrowing a few choice cards could really cement those themes. Looking at the gold options, there's Thaumatog from Odyssey block itself, but that feels a bit suspect (Psychatog it ain't). Looking beyond Odyssey block, we find Satyr Enchanter, Centaur Chronicler, Good-Fortune Unicorn, and Travel Preparations, which are all strong tie-ins and clear signposts for draft. We'll have to figure out how many of these signpost gold cards we want in draft, but for now, know that we will be incorporating those cards into our cube.

True to block look and feel
There is one problem though... Centaur Chronicler might be a cool signpost uncommon for the +1/+1 counters theme, and it's even a centaur, a tribe strong in Odyssey, but it doesn't look like it belongs! This means we will have to rely heavily on proxies, using the old border and old wording to approach that Odyssey look and feel even with newer designs. Let's just pretend these were preprints and make them look the part :)

Burning Vengeance.full.jpg Spider Spawning.full.jpg Centaur Chronicler.full.jpg

Replicate a (sort of) retail limited the draft experience
And that leaves one final question, how are we going to divvy up the card pool? Now, fair warning, the following numbers are going to be arbitrary, but here's what I figured out. I want to somewhat replicate the feeling of a retail limited draft, so I had planned to seed boosters as follows: 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 10 commons, and 1 (mana fixing) land. Commons should appear reasonably often, let's say I want two thirds of the common card pool to appear each draft. To support an 8 person draft, that means I will need 24 * 10 * 3/2 commons (an 8 person draft uses 24 boosters, containing 10 commons each, and if I want 2/3 of the total common card pool to appear, I have to multiply by 3/2 to arrive at the total number). E.g., I will need 360 commons in my cube. I want the cube to contain duplicates of the commons, so that you can draft multiple Aether Bursts, for example. Let's say we want each common to appear 3 times in the card pool, that means we have 120 unique commons to work with.

Let's do the same calculation for uncommons, but assume we want only half of the uncommons in the card pool to show up. They are, after all, a bit rares. This gives us 24 * 3 * 2/1 = 144 uncommons to work with. Uncommons are often an important backbone of draft decks, so let's say we want each uncommon to appear twice in the uncommon card pool. This gives us 72 unique uncommons to work with.

Next, let's calculate the number of rares. This one's easy! If we assume we want only a quarter of the rares to show up, we will need 24 * 1 * 4/1 = 92 unique rares. That gives us a lot of room to unclude a bunch of marquee rares, while also borrowing some sweet capstones for the archetypes we want to include.

Last, but not least, there's the mana fixing slot. I thought long and hard about this one, but in the end, variety is not necessarily what we're looking for here. We just want to make sure the mana bases are relatively playable. Odyssey isn't a set with a heavy gold focus (in fact, monoblack is one of it's defining decks). I think we can safely resort to a set of 24 fixing lands that are always included, no randomness needed. The Skycloud Expanse cycle is a nice starting point, and if we are going to add any customs to the cube, this is the place to do them, I feel. Apart from those, Evolving Wilds is a natural fit in an environment that wants to get cards in the graveyard. If I include four of those, that leaves room for one other land cycle, but I haven't decided which one I want to include yet. I'ld include the painlands, but those have very un-Otaria names (Otaria is the continent where the story of Odyssey takes place). Odyssey doesn't have any blisteringly fast aggro decks, so there's no need to resort to the expensive untapped duals. I can probably get away with proxying the check duals (Glacial Fortress and friends), or even the uncommon taplands (Meandering River c.s.) Yeah, I think I like the taplands, that leaves the filter-cycle as the best fixers (because untapped), which is great.

Alright, that leaves me with the job to find out what archetypes I want to run, but let's be honest, this post already takes up way too much real estate. Let's save that puzzle for another post :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Archetypes

This is the hard part. Odyssey had next to no explicit archetype support for specific color pairs. Sure, UG Madness was wildly popular back in the day, but there is nothing dictating {G/U} is actually about madness any more than, say {R/G}, which also had access to terrific madness spells. So, what archetypes do I want to run? And how do I make sure those archetypes are staying true to the existing cards in Odyssey block? Ideally I want each of these themes to somehow resonate with what's available in the block itself. Maybe I can start with a few cards for the block, and then see how we can expand those into a theme.

{W/U} White-Blue {W/U}

There is next to nothing explicitly tying white and blue together in this block. There's Phantatog, but... let's say our atog of choice is going to be Psychatog, and the rest is mostly easily forgotten (though we'll revisit another one later). There are, however, a few cards hinting at a flyers theme, and aven appear in both white and blue. UW Flying has had a lot of support over the years, so I'm thinking we can port over something like Empyrean Eagle or Thunderclap Wyvern and make this work.

Theme: UW Flyers

{U/B} Blue-Black {U/B}

The poster child for dentists around the world, Dr. Teeth himself, and what a stunner he is (in the original artwork)! If black and blue have anything in common, it's a plethora of super sweet discard outlets. I'm thinking we can get something to work here, if we borrow a page from Amonkhet!

Theme: UB Discard Matters

{B/R} Black-Red {B/R}

After mulling it over quite a bit, I think the direction I want to take BR is madness. Yes, this means that two guilds not sharing any colors have the same theme, but the traditional UG Madness deck plays very different from BR Madness. The funny thing is, even though this color combination is known for the madness mechanic, I want to include neither of the two black madness cards in Odyssey block itself. There's a lot to pick from outside of Odyssey block though, as both Time Spiral and Shadows over Innistrad revisited the mechanic, and gave black a lot more options to choose from! Choosing madness as the BR theme, also means I get to include the excellent Fiery Temper and Violent Eruption without feeling guilty!

Theme: BR Madness

{R/G} Red-Green {R/G}

Red and green sure like to put lands into the graveyard in this block. I mean, they don't really take advantage of it, other then Terravore, but we can work with that. Specifically, Modern Horizons used it in the same color pair, and it really fits the vibe of Odyssey, so I'm happy to adopt it!

Theme: RG Lands in the 'Yard

{G/W} Green-White {G/W}

As discussed, the phantom creatures offer some great cross-synergy between +1/+1 counters and permanent ways to buff the phantoms. I like that we can borrow Phantom Wurm to replace the annoyingly pro-black Phantom Centaur. I'm not quite sure which direction I lean most. I think I want to emphasize the +1/+1 counters synergy, and include a few auras for natural synergy.

Theme: GW +1/+1 Counters

{W/B} White-Black {W/B}

Discard outlets, reanimation spells, and big creatures. White-black can deliver on this front, and with a few choice reprints it should be relatively easy to make this color combination go big and beyond.

Theme: BW Reanimate

{U/R} Blue-Red {U/R}

Aw yeah! It's good old blue-red, always good for some non-permanent-based synergies! Innistrad delivered on some sweet goodies for this color combination, including the marvelous pair of Secrets of the Dead and Burning Vengeance, plus two relevant spells with off color flashback costs. This color pair's identity is easily cemented with a few choice inclusions from the good graveyard block!

Theme: UR Spells from the 'Yard

{B/G} Black-Green {B/G}

While BG doesn't really have the tools to fill the graveyard in Odyssey, it certainly has some nice cards that take advantage of filling it up. Since filling the graveyard is amply supported in the color pair in more recent sets, it should be no problem to flesh out this color pair. Plus... did you see that Spider Spawning in the previous post? <3

Theme: BG Self-Mill

{R/W} Red-White {R/W}

I have no idea if this theme is going to get there, to be honest. Red-white's role is the hardest to figure out in this graveyard-based block, so it seems. I do see a lot of cantrips in white, a bunch of very solid threshold cards, and relatively aggressive discard outlets, all leading to a deck that potentially can apply a bit of pressure early on while cheaply filling the yard and maintaining board position. I kind of want to work in Equal Treatment, token makers, and borrow Flame Fusillade from Ravnica block. We'll see whether this deck can actually get somewhere.

Theme: RW Cantrip Threshold Beatdown?

{G/U} Green-Blue {G/U}

The classic. Instantly recognizable to anyone who played in this era. I expect this is the deck Magic veterans dream of drafting when they hear about an Odyssey cube. Really, there isn't anywhere else to go for this color pair but here!

Theme: UG Madness

I have a different viewpoint on protection. I do not mind protection from a single color. Especially if it is not like a sword, those suck because they give protection of 2 colors and are repeatable. Each single color has its weakness, black does not get enchantment or artifact destruction (but has discard), and protection falls into that category. That said: onto red-white.

In odyssey block red has high power low toughness Kamahl, pit fighter, damage, threshold and flashback. White has flying, prevention, protection, tappers and so on. What you could try is to use reds fragile creatures and have white save them/first strike them? You could even add the gustcloack/provoke from onslaught block Deftblade Elite anyone? Onslaught is the second block of the story but the mechanics are different. Onslaught block has nothing to do with graveyards.

I am still on the fence with threshold. I like that it fights with flashback (i.e. do I use the flashback or keep it for threshold.) But counting to 7 sucks and it was often not obtained. Also it was often better to forget threshold and just flashback the shit out of the yard.

So the options are: odyssey block and innistrad or odyssey and onslaught. Choices...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm definitely veering more toward Odyssey and Innistrad. The major problem with threshold is that there aren't really great ways to fill the graveyard in Odyssey block. You don't want to immediately hit threshold, but you do want to be able to get there during the course of a game. Cheap cantrips help, looting effects help. Maybe I want a more controlling shell with Heartwarming Redemption? Would downgrading Firemane Angel to uncommon be a bad idea?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Maybe cycling to help hit threshold?
As a deciduous mechanic it's more likely to be added than most, but the recent support is largely too high power to be appropriate for Odyssey block power level. Lightning Rift, Astral Slide and Zenith Flare might form a decent RW theme though. Possibly. Like I said, I'm not really keen on adding a lot or any keywords not native to Odyssey block. Who knows though, it certainly feels like a natural fit for threshold!

second the cycling theme. just drafted WUR fliers and flashback, but forgot until pack 2 that the black section wasn’t finished XD
really want to play an RG deck in this cube!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
second the cycling theme. just drafted WUR fliers and flashback, but forgot until pack 2 that the black section wasn’t finished XD
really want to play an RG deck in this cube!

I'm working on the cube, but currently I'm using an Excel sheet to keep track of my adds, as I found CubeCobra to be impractical for keeping track of my thoughts and different statistics while still building the cube. It's easier to quickly edit the sheet. This might take a while though, it's quite the undertaking :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Currently working on the red commons. Goodness gracious was this color shit for the greatest part. For some reason it's the only color that has to discard cards at random too. I'm going to have to replace so many cards in this section to create something playable o_O

I do! The graveyard green theme looks like it will mix really well with what you have going on in other colors. I’m looking forward to trying some GBx Rock decks once the black section is ready!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I do! The graveyard green theme looks like it will mix really well with what you have going on in other colors. I’m looking forward to trying some GBx Rock decks once the black section is ready!
Lately D&D has been taking up the time I spend behind my laptop, but the campaign is nearing its end, so it's only a matter of time before I can tinker with this cube again :)

I wanted to stop by and say how nice this cube is looking, especially with the customs! That Ominous Sphinx flavor text is amazing!

May I suggest just erattaing all of the cards which only care about cycling (Lightning Rift and Astral Slide being the two big ones) to just caring about discard? That way, you don't have to fill the format with cycling cards if you don't want too, and you can make the set feel a little more like original Odyssey.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wanted to stop by and say how nice this cube is looking, especially with the customs! That Ominous Sphinx flavor text is amazing!

May I suggest just erattaing all of the cards which only care about cycling (Lightning Rift and Astral Slide being the two big ones) to just caring about discard? That way, you don't have to fill the format with cycling cards if you don't want too, and you can make the set feel a little more like original Odyssey.

Thanks!

As for your suggestion, Lightning Rift and Astral Slide are almost assuredly too good with free discard outlets like Wild Mongrel, I'm afraid.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, it's encouraging to see that there's a bit of interest for this endeavour, so once I wrap up my D&D campaign and the new one has started (where I am probably playing one of a few self-designed custom classes that take up my time atm), I'll be sure to pick this up again!

Loving the oldschool frameshifting for some of these pre-prints.

for the Allied lands there's the invasion cycle of uncommons if you want actual cards, you're out of luck for the enemy colors though.

edit: that said they have some not very otarian names for several of them...

9841f7e8-162c-44a3-96f3-af944fce15d1.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Loving the oldschool frameshifting for some of these pre-prints.

for the Allied lands there's the invasion cycle of uncommons if you want actual cards, you're out of luck for the enemy colors though.

edit: that said they have some not very otarian names for several of them...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually thought about those, and didn't include them on purpose! If you look at the map, you'll see that Urborg and Shiv are not on the continent Otaria. They're both islands on the world of Dominaria. Salt Marsh's flavor text places it in Urborg as well. Elfhame Palace is situated in Llanowar, and Coastal Tower in Benalia, which are both on the continent of Aerona. This is the reason why I chose the Meandering River cycle over the Invasion cycle. Odyssey and Onslaught blocks are both entirely set on the continent of Otaria, so I'm trying to keep the cube in the same setting.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Due to COVID-19 and the resulting complete lack of Magic in my life atm, I haven't had the energy to devote much time to this project. I will hopefully dabble a bit in updating this cube little by little over the next months, but not being able to play has been quite the dampener for my various Cube endeavors.