The Music Thread

Yeah I'm not so hot on the Two Fingers stuff. I like a small selection of songs from them (Straw Men and Razorback and not much else). I wasn't too hot on ISAM either, but there's still some good stuff going on there.
As for the making music, that sounds like good advice. Part of my problem is I'm trying 100% sampling. I have many may samples I've recorded, but for the most part they suck. There's only like 3 or 4 samples I've recorded that make me want to make music. When I get into a sampling mood I listen through tons of records. But then I hardly find anything good, and the music is awful. It's a very draining experience. This one time I hit a whole stack of bad reggae records. That was depressing.
i actually love ISAM but is very very texture / technique oriented as opposed to like normally listenable funky music

my stuff from 2008 - about 3-5 months ago was about 99% sampling. w/ sampling the thing i do is i just listen to music as normal and if i hear something that strikes my fancy then if i dont feel like doing anything i write it down. at some later point i go through and i just cut out 2-20 second wav files and dump like 100 of them into a folder and then dont make any music at this point either. then when im actually making music i just go through and click play on some until i find one that strikes my fancy, i chop it up into pieces and put some notes down and then i go back and see if i find something that compliments that. dont try to force anything. also dont try to listen to too much stuff you just dont like period. if i feel the need to sample something i dont like listening to, i just dont spend too actually listening to it. but yeah i generally dont sample things unless i hear 1) potential for much more in the sound, 2) i just straight up like it, 3) it is something unique. its sort of going away now that im moving back to synth music but when im listening to other peoples music im constantly hearing "this sound could be sick with X"

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Yeah you've got it. I had to make a change and only listen through the records that were good. The truth is the good samples are on the good records anyway.
I'm still keeping up student radio, even as a graduate. I'm on air today at 2p, UK time. Should be a good one! (edit: icradio.com if any of you are in the mood for student radio. HAH.)
And here's some music to keep this thread poppin:
I saw Hidden Orchestra in London last week. I thought their live show was a bit disappointing, but their music is sweet.
I also saw Trentemoller a few weeks ago, without knowing his music at all. That was an amazing concert! The warm up was Den Sorte Skole, that's why I went.

Bahahahhaha. Okay so I was just checking the general board to see if someone had made this thread yet!

See I felt like it would just me and James mildly disdaining each others taste in music populating this. This is too much fun.

James you seem like the kind of guy that might own all of Lone's Discography
You seem like a Bibio and Caribou kinda guy.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Caribou two thumbs up. Though actually I love his first album and a couple songs from Swim but nothing caught my attention. Hey did you know he has a PhD in mathematics from my uni? I have a BSc in mathematics from there! That makes us like the same person!
Never got into Bibio except this:
and that's not even really by him. I guess should look his stuff up!

Had a hilarious radio show yesterday. I got kidnapped by an alien from the 80's at the end, it was really ridiculous.

Seems like I don't have exactly the same music taste as the majority here. I do love Jedi Mind Tricks though.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hmm, not my cup of tea, Jonas. If power metal is anything you're into the only thing I know is Blind Guardian's album "A Twist in the Myth", which is awesome. It's as cheesy as it gets, too.
I just came here to show off my website that shows what I'm listening to: http://jamstevenson.co.nf/whatisjameslisteningto.html. It's just basically something to learn html with, though it's not all that great. I should be using websockets or sql or something, not ftp.
Also here's dubstep which I think is good:
This is slightly old UK dubstep, it's nice and dark. I never got too deep into this stuff, so I don't really know much. Here's another good one:

Cheesy powermetal is always good, and Blind Guardian is at the top of that list. I do like them quite a bit.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Love Mr. Scruff! "So Long" and "Fish" are my favorites, though Get A Move On is awesome. His music videos are adorable too

Mr. Oizo has done a good job of maintaining his cutesy edginess despite being so closely associated with popbangery dance music everyone is ashamed to admit liking in 2007.

Anyway I think Disco and Soul edits are probably the most accessible music I listen to. "Not everyone understands house music..." is a lyric with some truth to it you just get used to pretty quickly. Kinda goes double for techno, but it's less weird because techno isn't really trying to be likable most of the time.

So these edits are kinda both a predecessor to house and also like a modern trend where old tracks find their way into the hands of djs and producers that see something worth focusing on in an old track that was a little too meandering for dancefloors or has a different angle for it. The difference between a lot of these remix or sample sort of terms is often really interpretable or like given a different treatment in different discourses.

You like any of that there is sooooo much more where that came from.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The worst part about this thread is when I'm in the middle of listening to something and accidentally click away or close the tab or some shit.

I heard this song on American Dad the other day and heard this song and I must say it's a real delight

Also I could blow up this entire thread with hip hop suggestions so if any of you guys enjoy hip hop let me know

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yo, Ryan, on the post box there is this little film reel button. Just click it and paste the Youtube URL and it will embed into posts.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Also I could blow up this entire thread with hip hop suggestions so if any of you guys enjoy hip hop let me know

I enjoy hip hop. Please, elaborate.

And since I like to contribute something if I'm posting here, here's a very cool rapper and his orchestra:
Man, he was making good rap, but this Kyteman Orchestra stuff is amazing! Look at these cats! That guy in the cello looks like such a boss! I really wanna see them live, I love it. It's a bit mad, I suppose.

Okay...
Well when you've got these cute embedded players right? What a wonder, but you and I both know there are silly little problems with playing a song or video on your FB feed or say on a forum. My tactic to combat disappointment and fumbles is to always click on the youtube button on the bottom right corner of the embedded player!
That way I've got a whole 'nother tab to work with for sweet navigating action.

Anyone got any favourite housetraxx they wana show their old crotchety uncle lucas?