Card/Deck The Selesnya Conclave (GW)

I'm telling you, I work and work on archetypes everywhere else on the color wheel, but in GW I just ensure I have a decent basic deck framework and it continues to go over swimmingly well. Sometimes people really just want that deck with creatures, some removal, and maybe a little draw.

Like, is your entire playgroup unsatisfied? Does GW never show up, even in a supporting role?

Or it's just you in particular being unsatisfied with it?

It’s definitely disproportionately underrepresented in drafts. Of course it always comes down to my own dissatisfaction with how unresolved the pairing is. The lands stuff deck and oath deck are great. It’s figuring out the two other archetypes that operate on different axes from the other guilds in a graveyard cube. You’re right that it’s against the grain in that context, and I feel like there is just a lot of untapped potential in the guild that’s waiting to be unlocked. I want it to be a breath of fresh air when so many other guilds are just recycling the graveyard ad infinitum. It just needs to be intuitive and considered.

Could it be a token GY theme?

These are essentially flashback tokens. Pretty simple but they each have their specificity making it less boring than normal tokens. Maybe Lingering Souls and Dread Summons for an abzan splash.

Here we have tokens that care about what is in your GY. Different direction and might not be as universally good.

The Selesnya payoff card I like is Glare of Subdual for tokens as really good disruption (offensive and defensive).

Another theme I really like is just creature combos inside WG. This guild has so many:

, , , , , , , ,

Add a sac outlet and you have a ton of 3 card combos with most of these. Plus they are good cards by themselves that also have synergy with a ton of other cards. You can give it more or less consistency with (or without) Birthing Pod, Evolutionary Leap, Militia Bugler, Green Sun's Zenith, Chord of Calling, Recruiter of the Guard, Congregation at Dawn, Eladamri's Call.

I realize that none of these are exactly what you are looking for: a card that signals a certain archetype, but I just feel that WG doesn't have many/any. But as Sigh said, I find it doesn't really need any!

Reactions: dbs

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Selesnya is one of my problem guilds. I’m never quite satisfied with the suite of archetypes I support in this pairing. What’s everyone supporting these days? What cards make you excited to draft in these colors?

These three threads give some answers to the last question

Archetypes I like in WG:

+1/+1 Counters: Green is always the core for this deck but white is the best supporting colour as it offers the best mass pump in Mikaeus, the Lunarch and Gavony Township as well as all of the Ajanis, Citadel Siege, Grateful Apparition, and some narrow but busted support cards in Together Forever and Look at Me, I'm R&D (hard to overstate how good this is in this deck). One of my favourite decks in any colour pair but for your purposes it's hard to tie this into the graveyard

Reanimation: White has strong but specific reanimator cards in Loyal Retainers, Renegade Rallier, Sevinne's Reclamation, Teshar, Replenish, Reveillark/Vesperlark, as well as general but more expensive effects like Karmic Guide/Miraculous Recovery. White is awful at filling the graveyard (and most other things!) but green is pretty good at it

Creature shuffling/combo: Green has a lot of Gather the Pack/Grapple with the Past/Winding Way effects that are staples for a graveyard Cube/package as they let you find specific cards while also giving the incidental benefits that you gain in that context from filling the graveyard. White is a good colour to pair with these as it offers important effects stapled to creatures like sweepers (False Prophet/Realm-Cloaked Giant) and reanimation (see above)

Some decks from my Cube that may give food for thought:

WGb Replenish Reclamation from CubeTutor.com

WG GPG from CubeTutor.com

WGr Weird Lands from CubeTutor.com

Selesnya is one of my problem guilds. I’m never quite satisfied with the suite of archetypes I support in this pairing. What’s everyone supporting these days? What cards make you excited to draft in these colors?

Did a remote draft over the weekend. Going in, I remembered this thread and Selesyna without a splash has historically been a rare color-combination for us. I gave it a go and ended up having a great time. I think like Sigh said, there's enough cool stuff in Selesnya to have a spread of basic pieces in place and let it come together however.

GW

The game plan was to bounce and replay creatures to recycle ETBs. It felt especially intricate when there was way to generate bursts of mana, ala Oracle of Mul Daya, Devoted Druid, and Earthcraft. In those games I was playing and replaying several creatures a turn - the velocity was super high. Since the deck was board-based, all my matches were interactive too. Had a fun one where I blinked Palace Jailer over and over to remove the opponents board, but they had Sac Outlet + Phyrexian Metamorph + Phyrexian Reclamation to copy Jailer, become the monarch and get everything back every turn. I wish there was a version of blue spell-based combo that built up resources out on the board in this way (instead of in hand) so that more interaction could happen out in the open beyond duress and taxes.

Also had some fun post-board games against mono-red where I sided in:

and bounced Kitchen Finks over and over to survive their Gauntlet of Might fireball + tokens.

Just here to dump some thoughts so I can organize them.

So I thinking about a different take on white, I realized that white has a lot of combos who's pieces are actually perfectly viable on their own. Moreover, green complements white really well with additional pieces and versatile tutors.

A few remarks:

1. This is a high powered archetype. The combos are infinite and end the game on the spot for most of them.
2. Interaction is key to keep the combos in check. Spot removal, cheap discard and counters as well as graveyard hate are all efficient in doing so.
3. This is for groups with experienced players. The rules aren't obvious, you have to stack your triggers and build your deck in such a way as to maximize the combo, yet have a plan B.

The goal here is for the combo pieces to be non-poisonous and support different themes. For this thought experiment I want white to be part of every combo, so I am not including some obvious cards (like Melira, Sylvok Outcast).

Persist combo (+sac outlet)

Archangel of Thune combo (+sac outlet)

Heliod combo

Saffi Eriksdotter combo (+sac outlet)

Lark combo (+sac outlet)

Devoted Druid combo

I'm less keen on the last 2 combos because they are too narrow (Vizier is purely a combo card) or one of the pieces is mediocre (Karmic Guide is slow, fragile and expensive for a higher power cube).

That being said, the Vizier is a nice sign post for the archetype if your players know what to look for and for all my Karmic Guide bashing, it is still a sweet and fun card. So maybe there is merit to playing them too.

In addition to the combos, we have some very good tutors in both white and green. These guys can make your combos more or less viable depending on how many you choose to include.

Resiliency

What happens when people interact with you? You try again!

, , , , ,

These cards allow you to bounce back after disruption and tie nicely into a GY theme or a Pod deck.

Cross pollination

So one of the premises of this post was that the cards are supposed to be versatile. I really think this is the strength of this archetype as these pieces fit just as well in combo decks as grindy ones. Here are the theme intersections.

Sacrifice: Birthing Pod, Fiend Artisan, Luminous Broodmoth, the Persist guys.

Black and red are generally seen as the sacrifice decks, but here these guys provide a bunch of value allowing you to double up on sacrifice outlets and death triggers.

The other big upside in my eyes is that the Persist guys are hybrid or colorless, Fiend Artisan is also hybrid and Pod can be played almost as a colorless card (or with a very light green splash). This means you can end up in a lot of color combinations making it a solid Tetra archetype.

I want to note that your sacrifice outlets are key to making the deck work. White and green don't have any worth noting (free and repeatable), but black and red do. So you can force the deck to be 2+ colors by omitting colorless sacrifice outlets.
Carrion Feeder is amazing at bridging different themes, as is Woe Strider. Goblin Bombardment is also solid in go wide decks and Falkenrath Aristocrat is a fine beater by itself.

Black also contributes to the persist side of things if you want to open the archetype completely to another color with Murderous Redcap, Putrid Goblin and Puppeteer Clique.

+1/+1 counters: Anafenza, Kin-Tree SpiritGood-Fortune Unicorn, Archangel of Thune and Metallic Mimic are great enablers, while the Persist guys, Triskelion, Walking Ballista and Spike Feeder are great payoffs (ok the Spike dude being great is a stretch, but I mentioned grindy decks and he fits the theme! He can also do some nice things with Hardened Scales).

TrainmasterGT posted a great thread about green, +1/+1 counters and artifacts and Dom Harvey posted a sweet one on +1/+1 counters in general.

If you want more redundancy in your combos, Rhythm of the Wild is good in RG decks (combo or not) and can set up a small +1/+1 subtheme in red (see here for ideas).

Life gain: Archangel of Thune and Heliod, Sun-Crowned are good enough on their own that they can spawn a subtheme for life gain. Some payoffs like Bolas's Citadel are fun and also play well with the sacrifice theme above. The Blood Artist type cards trigger them many times and once again go with sacrifice.

If you are still here thanks for reading my ramblings. As I mentioned, this was an attempt to sort things out for myself, hopefully it helped you too!

It's not for my cube, but I would love to try to draft and play that fresh approach to GW in an appropiate cube setting.

i’ve been thinking for a while about a colorshifted cube where White/Green is the main graveyard guild... among other shifts ofc.
this combo list is some juicy inspiration. it’s stuff we’ve all run at least a couple pieces of at some point just because the cards themselves are mostly quite solid outside the combo.

necro double post!

the more i dive headfirst into OP fixing the more i like this guild. just look at this lands micro archetype!

Which utility lands you use is totally up to you! I do a custom cycle of Threshold lands myself.

Seriously though, I also utilize this archetype with tie-ins to landfall and +1/+1 counter themes.

Another favorite "tilling" card of mine is

(I mean, it's literally describing the action of harrowing... can't get much more on the nose with a card that is "tilling" lol)

Right now I am quite happy with a bunch of overlapping Selesnya themes in my cube. My guild choices reflect what I am doing pretty well, but nothing revolutionary:

Earthcraft style ramp
Humans
+1/+1 counters
Grindy midrange
Lands

It all sorts of blurs together nicely and your deck's direction depends on what you are feeling or what you've opened.

What I am on the lookout for in the future is:

Spells

With Monastery Mentor and Dragonsguard Elite in the cube, I would love additional prowess or instant/sorcery payoffs. Ideally a human with counters :p

Artifacts

White and artifacts meld beautifully in my cube, but I haven't gotten many GW artifact decks even though Green can flood the board with them. I think a signpost guild card would do the trick!

Discard

With Containment Construct and Currency Converter, discard decks start looking appealing in all color combinations! I've really liked Bazaar of Baghdad, Noose Constrictor and Wild Mongrel as discard enablers. I'd love for White to join in on the fun with something other than Seasoned Hallowblade. I guess The Restoration of Eiganjo works here too, but DFC, complexity bla bla bla.