The sports thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Any thought towards keeping the team name, mascot is now a potato?
369eb9bd3ba307ef34709362c94773e9.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
They just won the Community Shield as well (on penalties, granted), seems a bit premature to stomp on them this season. They don't have the best squad in the Premier League, but Arteta certainly got the team going again!

Also, I kinda like Arsenal, ever since Bergkamp did his magic there, and the club just decided to go with a single coach for 22 fricking years in a world where sacking four trainers per year isn't unheard of. Wenger is practically a legend!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not a big American football fan, but I just learned Tom Brady has won more super bowl than most succesful franchise did. That's insane!

I'm not a big American football fan, but I just learned Tom Brady has won more super bowl than most succesful franchise did. That's insane!

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to think about. 7 Superbowl wins (and 10 appearances) is just absurd in terms of American Football with the parity and how drastically teams' fortunes shift on a season to season basis. The fact that he went to a middling team and then just flipped the script and won a title with them is wild. They definitely made a lot of roster moves beforehand to create a solid all-around team where Brady could slot into, but to actually come through and win the big game is impressive as hell.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to think about. 7 Superbowl wins (and 10 appearances) is just absurd in terms of American Football with the parity and how drastically teams' fortunes shift on a season to season basis. The fact that he went to a middling team and then just flipped the script and won a title with them is wild. They definitely made a lot of roster moves beforehand to create a solid all-around team where Brady could slot into, but to actually come through and win the big game is impressive as hell.

Actually, I just watched this documentary today, what an amazing story! As an outsider, it's pretty amazing to realize Brady was the #199 pick in his draft, and six other quarterbacks got picked before him!

Actually, I just watched this documentary today, what an amazing story! As an outsider, it's pretty amazing to realize Brady was the #199 pick in his draft, and six other quarterbacks got picked before him!

Oh yeah, NFL Films are always such high quality documentaries. This is a good one.

His longevity has been insane relative to his peers. I don't really keep up much with the NFL (Diehard NBA fan), but I'll be aware of what's happening through group chats with friends. I was actually shocked that Brady was still around and kicking this year since he's been around for so long and ended up tuning in to the Super Bowl this year. I have vivid memories of watching Brady and the Patriots almost perfect season where they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl as though it was a year or two back when it was actually 13 years ago!

He's not the most physically gifted or talented quarterback, but he's like the Terminator and just gets shit done. It's super impressive.

Pretty crazy UEFA made a mistake during their Champions League draft for the round of 16. But instead of correcting the mistakes that were made, they erased the entire draft and started all over. And in their process, they forgot to apologize and claim responsibility. Instead they deflected and said the fault was with their software provider. Pretty controversial if you ask me.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty crazy UEFA made a mistake during their Champions League draft for the round of 16. But instead of correcting the mistakes that were made, they erased the entire draft and started all over. And in their process, they forgot to apologize and claim responsibility. Instead they deflected and said the fault was with their software provider. Pretty controversial if you ask me.
I feel like it's a bit embarrassing and incompetent but not controversial. You would think something like this would come up during testing, but I've had plenty of live demos that have gone similarly. Was also embarrassing and incompetent.

I feel like it's a bit embarrassing and incompetent but not controversial. You would think something like this would come up during testing, but I've had plenty of live demos that have gone similarly. Was also embarrassing and incompetent.

It’s a dice roll. And the outcome decides ten of millions of Dollars. The obvious choice was to correct the die rolls that were faulty. Instead they erased all the die rolls including the ones that were not faulty (fair rolls) Of course the whole football world explodes when a decision like this happens. It’s injustice and in a game of Magic you would call the head judge to correct the mistake. But in this case it was the head judge that made the mistake and won’t acknowledge it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It’s a dice roll. And the outcome decides ten of millions of Dollars. The obvious choice was to correct the die rolls that were faulty. Instead they erased all the die rolls including the ones that were not faulty (fair rolls) Of course the whole football world explodes when a decision like this happens. It’s injustice and in a game of Magic you would call the head judge to correct the mistake. But in this case it was the head judge that made the mistake and won’t acknowledge it.
As far as football injustice goes this has to be one of the furthest things down the list. Off the top of my head: bribery for World Cup locations, forcing games to be played at the start of the pandemic, the atrocious VAR implementation in certain countries, sparse punishments for racist behavior by fans, hosting European tournament finals in Azerbaijan, allowing criminals to buy clubs and pump dirty money into the game, allowing countries to own clubs and circumvent Financial Fair Play, the Financial Fair Play system at all, the away goals rule, pretty much anything Diego Costa didn't get carded for, Stoke fans, the Wenger Out movement, performance enhancing drug testing policies, stoppage time calculations, Chamakh's haircut.

One injustice doesn’t excuse another. I have no ranking system but I do like yours. In other words, just because someone else is doing something that is unfair, doesn’t mean you (UEFA) should also do it. Especially when there is an easy and fair option available: We info the mistakes and keep the fair results.

It’s one of those situations where most people are not affected and therefore they are blind to the injustice.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be honest and say I'm not entirely sure how the probabilities work. I remember seeing draw tables in the past that said due to the constraints that one team was 43% likely to face Team A, 13% Team B, 22% Team C, etc. Maybe the only way to ensure the probabilities are representative is by restarting the whole draw?

I just don't see how it qualifies as 'injustice', unless you make the argument that the thing was redrawn to specifically benefit or hurt certain parties. I get that it can be a feel-bad moment but it's hard for me to find this incident particularly noteworthy.

The reason why it is injustice (I maybe should have started with this) is because the draw was 100 % normal up to a certain point.

When Benfica drew Real Madrid, everything was normal and it happened in a fair way.

Later on UEFA forgot to add the Manchester United ball into the bowl when Atlético Madrid should draw their opponent. This skewed the result because Atlético could not draw one of their possible opponents. And this had a cascade effect on all the rest of the draws obviously.

The judge announced that there had been a mistake in the second round of draw (the fourth ball after Benfica, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid).

Last edited: