The Video Game Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I played a ton of Nintendo DS back in the day, though I think the only game I ever really got into the multiplayer for was Mart Kart DS, which was incredible both online and locally, the latter of which could host eight (!) players. Man, that was a riot, especially because the only time we could gather enough people to fill out the entire lineup for that was in public venues. Strangely enough, I think my second favourite game for the system after that was Clubhouse Games. It was like the prototypical iOS game, except before iOS, and without annoying in-app purchases.

Other games I remember enjoying:

Dragon Quest V
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Picross
Puzzle Quest (this is on every platform now)
The World Ends With You

I played an ass-ton of DS game after buying one of those flashcarts for it. Great games included:

Rhythm Heaven
Elite Beat Agents
999 (This is honestly one of the best games I've ever played, kind of like Saw the movie)
Hotel Dusk + the sequel (Mystery game, pretty fun)
The World Ends With You
Every Phoenix Wright game
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Pokemon HeartGold (Love G/S when they came out, this is easily the best of all Pokemon games I've played)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Mario Kart DS (If you have a bunch of people to play with. Senior year of HS basically 8 man games every morning)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I played an ass-ton of DS game after buying one of those flashcarts for it. Great games included:

Rhythm Heaven
Elite Beat Agents
999 (This is honestly one of the best games I've ever played, kind of like Saw the movie)
Hotel Dusk + the sequel (Mystery game, pretty fun)
The World Ends With You
Every Phoenix Wright game
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Pokemon HeartGold (Love G/S when they came out, this is easily the best of all Pokemon games I've played)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Mario Kart DS (If you have a bunch of people to play with. Senior year of HS basically 8 man games every morning)

OH OH OH GOLDEN FUCKING SUN
Fuck I love that game.

Like I still hate that gameplay and story are so divorced like always, but man for a classic SNES RPG callback, it's awesome.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Crap, I never bought 999 when it came out... it's probably impossible to find now. :( Maybe I should just pick up the sequel for 3DS.

I felt that Phantom Hourglass was just ok, so I didn't bother picking up Spirit Tracks as a result. Minish Cap, though! That was a fantastic portable Zelda. Actually, no qualifiers needed; just a fantastic game, period.

I still have to play through my copy of Hotel Dusk, and your post is giving me the motivation.

999 was super interesting and way different from any game I had ever played. It had a really interesting story, cool puzzles to solve, and it had some of the creepiest music ever. Like, I spent a summer playing it late into the night and in certain parts I was just like oh shit wtf is going to happen and nearly jumped out of my bed. Really sweet game.

Hotel Dusk + sequel were both really fun for me as well. Basically a mystery novel that unfolds in front of you. It was gritty, story was cool, and it's pretty interactive. I'm kinda bummed that CING, the guys who made the game, went bankrupt. They also had a game called AGAIN which was another mystery novel type thing that was pretty fun. I guess their games were too niche to really go big.

The last "new" video game I remember playing was Ni No Kuni for the PS3 a little under two year ago. Game was pretty easy, but the gampelay and graphics were sweet. I love Studio Ghibli stuff, so to have them collab with a studio and make a decent game was awesome. It was kind of like Pokemon meet Final Fantasy in a Ghibli film.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I find that describes a lot of Level 5's catalog of RPGs - really beautiful to look at, but somewhat pedestrian to actually play, sometimes bordering on boring. Dragon Quest IX was guilty of this, and I gave up trying to slog my way through it after about twenty hours in. Dark Cloud 2 (waaaay back) was kind of the same way, and from talking to a friend, Rogue Galaxy suffered from this issue as well.

The one time they hit it out of the park was Dragon Quest VIII, though. Game was awesome.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just wanted to mention Bastion here, because it's awesome, and it's getting all of the love over on the music thread but none over here. Play it you should!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Anyone tried the studio's next game yet, Transistor?

Not yet, but I kinda want to. I hear it's similar but sci-fi, same gorgeous visuals and everything. I really should find time for it.

Love the soundtrack/narration/visuals, hate the gameplay.

What don't you like? I found the combat was the fast paced decision/dodge/block etc of diablo combat, but without all the surrounding soullessness and grinding for grinding's sake that I hate about diablo

I like brogue, dungeons of dredmor, civ IV and Divinity: Original Sin... never liked Diablo or competitive Starcraft. Too much clicking = RSI, and only 2 or 3 useable spells bores me. I want like 10 spells minimum, and plenty of time to choose between them.

Dragon Age was nice with the pausable combat, and Starcraft custom maps are great in that there's often an action round / upgrade round ebb and flow to give you time to think between battles.

Bastion, it felt like I was putting up with abuse in order to get treats periodically. Can't do it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I will say it was waaaaay easier once I switched to a controller. Isometric Perspective and WASD movement kinda clash in my brain

Ugh, people say that about everything! Well okay, maybe it's just this one guy Spencer. He'd use a gamepad to browse the web if he ever got wind that those PSO controllers exist. Fucker.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I played with a controller and was pretty indifferent towards Bastion. It felt like a bad Ninja Gaiden to me, combat wise.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
You guys are crazy, Bastion and Diablo are both sweet. I can't imagine playing Bastion on anything but a gamepad, though; I remember dodging being a crucial element in some of the later Proving Grounds (those arena-type battles).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You guys are crazy, Bastion and Diablo are both sweet. I can't imagine playing Bastion on anything but a gamepad, though; I remember dodging being a crucial element in some of the later Proving Grounds (those arena-type battles).

Yeah, there was a block button that was a little easier to use on the keyboard, but it doesn't work against everything, just like doging doesn't work against everything.

I do understand not liking it if real time combat isn't your thing. My brain just can't wrap around RTS mechanics at all, I'd have a similar problem :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
True, I basically can't play any of the Starcraft games, because my brain just can't handle everything that's going on.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the last RTS I played is KKND, or Dune 2000. The genre got way too complicated (as in too much units/buildings/tech trees/shit) since then for me. I also completed Bastion twice on keyboard. My brain is probably wired a bit weird ;)

transistor is beautiful, recommend it highly

A friend of mine was showing me his Transistor tattoo that he got literally yesterday. It's alongside his Bastion tattoo.

I've been watching season 3 of House of Cards and they discuss Monument Valley. How is that game?