Card/Deck Token/Sacrifice themes in Red

Rabblemaster is a quick kill in games with few creatures out, but he tends to sit back and create a bunch of morbid triggers in retail. I'm unimpressed by his midrange matchup, but he has pseudo-haste and works very well with others.

Edit: I realize I just said a bunch of stuff without actually saying anything. I like him well enough to run him, just remember he needs support to do anything noteworthy.

Some people talked about running things like stormkirk noble and threaten effects to get him and other creatures that give bonuses when connecting through, maybe it can be tied togeher with rabblemaster to get him trough as well? I know removal does the job fine, but stealing creatures are fun and have such an impact on the number of blockers/attackers

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Some people talked about running things like stormkirk noble and threaten effects to get him and other creatures that give bonuses when connecting through, maybe it can be tied togeher with rabblemaster to get him trough as well? I know removal does the job fine, but stealing creatures are fun and have such an impact on the number of blockers/attackers

Thats me. I've been running those types of interactions over here and really like them. Combined with sac. outlets, they allow the aggresive decks some control mechanics, while also greatly improving their board position and clocking in for damage.

I think rabblemaster is a good junction point for several aggro archetypes, but i've not really explored them. It feeds into token sacrifice strategies, wide aggro, and goblins--which also feed into wide aggro and sacrifice. Before, a lot of the key "goblins" cards were too specialized, but now it might be possible to include a loose tribal theme made up of already existing low cc hyper aggro or utility goblins, tied in with midrange fat like siege-gang commander, lightning crafter, and stenchskipper, and than backed up by threaten effects/value sac. outlets/wide aggro buffs. Sort of a slowish aggro deck, or goblin aggro-control deck. Rabblemaster seems like it could be great in that setting as an engine.

Goblins as a tribe feels like something that can be supported sort of by just going through the alternatives you have for the other themes in red and favoring playable gobilns over some other option. CML's said that he found Humans to work for this reason (there's a buttload of them and they're scattered in pretty much all colors and archetype).

CML

Contributor
I have one sitting on my desk waiting to be tested. Card looks pretty sweet in its bright pink sleeve.

i purchased 200 copies for ~$250 because my friend texted me from the PT and told me to

i think it'll hit 10$ post-rotation, like what other good cards are there for people to play with

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
i purchased 200 copies for ~$250 because my friend texted me from the PT and told me to

i think it'll hit 10$ post-rotation, like what other good cards are there for people to play with

That sounds like a sound investment, as far as MtG investments can be considered sound.

I have one sitting on my desk waiting to be tested. Card looks pretty sweet in its bright pink sleeve.

Your cube has pink sleeves too?

Attachments

• Pink Cube.JPG
    Pink Cube.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 32

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If I ever need proxies, remind me to call you.

Hehe, shipping to Belgium. Should be doable from the Netherlands ;) Making these is a lot of work though, I think it took 3 or 4 evenings plus a trip to the copy shop for 24 proxies! :confused:

I'm thinking about acquiring some clear inkjet labels from Avery, as inkjet prints are sharper and better suited for printing Magic cards. The nice thing about the laser printer labels is that the cards bend better and thus have a better feel. Basically you have a choice between a crisp image or a good tactile experience.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
To be honest it would feel best if it was a real Magic card, but in the end the looks aren't as important as the feel. When you shuffle your deck, when your opponent cuts your deck, when you pick up your cards, when you casually rearrange the cards in your hand... All of these are negatively impacted in a meaningful way when the thickness and weight of your proxies is off by more than a bit. An image though is just that. As long as it isn't too visually jarring, you'll get by with a slightly blurrier image.

Not to re-rail this thread or anything but does no one feel like pretty much every sac outlet except goblin bombardment is just clunky? The rest... function... but only bomb-daddy itself allows the smoothest plays; it's just so much better etc. etc. I can't get my drafters to use anything else.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, play two! I think Greater Gargadon is a pretty smooth sac outlet as well, and if you splash green... Well, you all know which card I am talking about :)