Article Top 8 Worst Draft Formats of All Time

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
great article! CML, I hope you write something serious one day. Well, I suppose " something serious" is not what I mean, maybe what I mean is "a book". Please write a book.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Masques was definitely much, much worse then Urza's block. While Urza's block was in retrospect poorly designed, at the time it was a lot of fun. It played completely differently from Tempest Block and had lots of fun decks. It felt new and fresh. Nobody liked Masques, the games were never fun, six people per table drafted white and all the decks looked the same. It was universally panned AT THE TIME, which is a lot worse then panning them now that we have the hindsight of lots of great formats like Time Spiral, Ravnica, Odyssey, etc.

Ice Age draft was also unplayable, but it was the first "draftable sets" so I can cut them some slack. Masques came out after 3 enjoyable sets in a row, so there is really no excuse for it.

I'd put the bottom three as

3. Old Core Sets
2. Ice Age
1. Masques

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Although, I guess if you were 11 when Masques came out, you were 7 when Ice Age was released, so you were mercifully spared that bullet.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Sweet article, Chris. I'll pile onto the hatred for Scars block; it was bad enough in all aspects that I completely checked out of Magic for about nine months, going so far as to invest hundreds of dollars in another CCG, until the sweetness of Innistrad lured me back in. Scars limited gameplay was largely bomb-driven, infect more often than not was a trainwreck, and even from an aesthetic point of view, the cards were ugly. (There. I said it!)

I suppose I'm trying to say I don't understand why Scars was the best selling large block of all time at the time it was printed.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Well, Zendikar was incredibly popular and brought more people into the game. Since then, I believe every block has contained a best selling set.

I'd put Innistrad on this list, tbh.

CML

Contributor
Chantron: Scars block COULD HAVE BEEN really good, metalcraft is a mechanic as interesting as poison is dull.

FSR: "lots of great formats like Time Spiral, Ravnica, Odyssey, etc." second the notion these are the three best ever (maybe MMA too)

Anyone here ever play any triple Legions?

I remember always enjoying 8th and 9th edition drafts. I think I'm like way too into casting lava axe though.

I was really not into Return. Gatecrash I could get behind. M13 made me like drafting again.