General Universes Restored

The Project:

They're going to keep making Universes Beyond cards, and I'm going to keep disliking it. This thread is where I propose my solution: Universes Restored, an ongoing series of "custom proxy versions" of UnB cards that fit with the overall fictional flavor of MtG, a card game which is primarily about powerful wizards battling it out with a library of magical spells, NOT a sequence of advertising opportunities for other "intellectual properties." Please imagine a "barf face emoji" here: {G/P}

WotC has already laid the groundwork with their Universes Within versions of the Stranger Things, Street Fighter, and Walking Dead cards, which reimagined a bunch of "regular folks in jeans" as cool alchemists, ghost hunters, and my favorite: a woman with a dieseltek mechanical arm. These aren't just random "fantasy art" versions. The Stranger Things and Walking Dead cards were all brought into the plane of Innistrad, which fit their "horror" roots and allowed for their creature types to make sense. The Street Fighter characters all got reimagined as wandering heroes on Dominaria, which is the only plane with enough geography to contain an international fighting tournament. We can use these translations as a blueprint for our own.

The biggest challenge comes from the type line for creatures. This is a load-bearing point in card design where flavor and mechanics meet, and we can't just replace "Tyranid" with "Beast," or we've created a mechanically unique card that now interacts with Contested Cliffs. This gives us an opportunity to make up new mythology within familiar planes, or imagine new planes! Planes where a robot might turn into a vehicle for the purposes of subterfuge, but can just use the word "transform" in its text box!

For Example:

Here are a couple Universes Restored cards from the 40k set:

Belafar Cassus.png Charnel Drone.png

These are super low-res versions suitable for posting on this forum. Big-kid versions can be found here: Belafar Cassus - Charnel Drone

As you can see, these cards needed very few changes, and I simply removed the "Astartes" type from the tokens made by Belisarius Cawl. Voila! These cards (which are mechanically very cool and fun in my cube) can now join my other precious rectangles without bumming me out.

The Ranting, the Raving, the Gnashing of Teeth

I may also use up some space in this thread to type out long, unhinged screeds about the Universes Beyond situation as it relates to popular culture, art, profit, creativity, and enshittification. But let's not linger on that for too long! We've got universes to restore here!

Last edited:
Graveyard of the Ghostplates

The Warhammer 40k Necron deck was the product that made Universes Restored unavoidable for me. My pet cube is all about graveyards, artifacts, and tokens, so a quick scan through these incredibly cool card designs made me realize I was not going to be able to just sit back and ignore these products (as I'd originally planned). Sure, I could design the cube without Royal Warden, but the forbidden cards would torment me, like a heartbeat beneath the floorboards...

Anyway, here's what I came up with:

Imborek.png

Imborek, the Stone's Word

On the mystical plane of Eldraine, knightly orders engage in grand quests for glory and the favor of various lords, ladies, and gentlethems. Maybe they have to retrieve some kind of magic cup. Maybe they have to slay a big wolf with eight legs or something. In any case, they take oaths and stake their honor on victory. But victory is not always theirs, and when a knight perishes in pursuit of their quest, their unquiet spirit may linger behind. (Kind of like when you lose a game of Magic and think: if I'd just topdecked my Lightning Helix!) These bygone knights are vulnerable to the terrible creature known as Imborek, who offers a tempting bargain. Those who inscribe their names on his oathstones will be bound to the armor and weapons they carried in life, and they have another chance at glory. But when that chance is spent, they owe Imborek a century of service in his terrible army of the undead. Having surrendered their free will to the stones, these Ghostplate warriors are little more than puppets, and gradually they forget their honor, their glory, and all that it means to be a knight.

Thronekeeper Sentinel.png

Thronekeeper Sentinel

Thronekeeper Sentinels guard the castles conquered by the Ghostplate scourge. Flanked by lesser warriors, these haunted suits of armor are tenacious fighters who are known to rise again after even the deadliest blow.

Rite of Iron Haunting.png

Rite of Iron Haunting

The Rite of Iron Haunting is the tragic spell that binds a knight's ghost to her armor for the next hundred years. Although she may spend the first six months of that time fulfilling the quest that was once the purpose of her life, that purpose will be replaced over the next century by Imborek's terrible commands. Many spirits resist the temptation, or have the foresight to imagine the consequences of such a rite. But some are too driven by regret, and a momentary lapse of judgment results in a fate worse than death.

Tenebrator Scylas.png
Tenebrator Scylas

Not all Ghostplates are victims of Imborek's trickery. Some dark souls seek out the creature for their own purposes, and these rare few are so well-aligned with the cruel commands of the oathstones that they are allowed to keep some measure their identity. In life, Scylas was convinced that a person's shadow was the home of their soul, and he sought a method to capture more shadows within his own. Now he serves as Imborek's tenebrator, a master of stealth who cloaks the vanguard of a Ghostplate army in darkness on the march.

Memory Whisperer.png

Memory Whisperer

These tragic figures search for records of their former glory in the history books of the living. How come they've got wings? I don't know, lol. Maybe they all originate from the Order of Midnight, or something.

Kanratir.png

Kanratir, the Pathbreaker

This obsessed revenant continues the impossible quest he undertook in life: to carve a paved road through Eldraine's impenetrable wilds. Driven mad by the futility of his goal, Kanratir repurposes every scrap of plunder he captures into the road. Even the fallen armor of his fellow Ghsotplates isn't safe from his infrastructural insanity. Does he even notice that the road behind him is routinely destroyed by fae magics and mysterious wildlife?

Crypt Quartermaster.png

Crypt Quartermaster

As they weather the long years of servitude, ancient Ghostplates retreat into cramped underground crypts to focus their attention on oblivion. They are overseen there by terrible quartermasters, who ensure that each warrior serves out the full length of their contract.

Drifting Mausoleum.png Scythewing.png

Drifting Mausoleum, Scythewing

Using the gravity-defying magics of his Oathstones, Imborek has fashioned a skyfaring fleet of dire frigates and corvettes to transport his minions. Where the shadows of these skyships fall, terror is soon to follow.

Oops, I forgot the 2/2 tokens!
Check back for those later...

Last edited:
I absolutely love this idea! Yesterday I was making an MPCfill list with cards from Lord of the Rings and Dr. Who for the sole purpose of checking whether my potential cube includes already have alternative artworks that are more in line with my personal preferences. Sadly only very popular cards have alternate art, if at all.

I also like the idea of changing names and typelines to fit in better. I'm not sure that it is necessary to invent new tokens so as not to interfere with existing cards. Since you arealmost touching the realm of custom cards, might as well keep that token creep in check (2/2 vigilance warrior -> Knight) :p.

Nice work though!

@StrionicAdventurer
Excellent idea!

I am not a big fan of the execution. I feel like they don’t still feel like Magic cards. I would probably:

1. Always change name.
2. Always change art.
3. Change the text and type to go together with a certain MTG set. Name and art should also fit this set/plane.

My biggest wish is of course that ALL Universes Beyond sets would be skins. No mechanically unique cards. Just skins.

The biggest challenge comes from the type line for creatures. This is a load-bearing point in card design where flavor and mechanics meet, and we can't just replace "Tyranid" with "Beast," or we've created a mechanically unique card that now interacts with Contested Cliffs.
I’m less bothered by Universes Beyond cards than you, but still consider this to be a noble project. The only thing I disagree with is your concern about creature types. Increasing card interactions as described above sounds like a feature not a bug. I’d also be inclined to streamline token types as well.

Card images? But I’m just here for the screeds about enshittification ;)
Lol, I actually cut about a paragraph from the end of the initial post because I tend to go on an absolute spiral when I get on the topic. I'll post an honest-to-god Fink Peece about the whole concept at some point. The positive side of UnB is that it helped me drastically redefine my relationship with this game and has saved me a huge amount of money. As with most problems with MtG, the only real solution is Cube.

I’m less bothered by Universes Beyond cards than you, but still consider this to be a noble project. The only thing I disagree with is your concern about creature types. Increasing card interactions as described above sounds like a feature not a bug. I’d also be inclined to streamline token types as well.
The primary ethos of the project (for me) is creating mechanically identical cards that are flavor matches within the Magic Multiverse. To achieve that goal, I have to change "Necrons" and "Daleks" into something else, because such creatures are inextricable parts of an incompatible fiction, but I can't make them "Golems" or "Constructs" because then the cards aren't mechanically identical. Some creature types, such as "Scientist" or "Detective" in the new Fallout and Dr. Who cards, won't really need to change. Magic is an exceptionally broad fantasy with room for a creature that is a "Ninja Turtle," or a "Robot Dog", but not a "Cyberman."

My biggest wish is of course that ALL Universes Beyond sets would be skins. No mechanically unique cards. Just skins.
It's the perfect solution! Don't get me wrong, I get a giggle out of a clever top-down Jurassic Park card, but the giggles aren't worth the psychic damage. I can accept 15 squirrels killing Emrakul, but I can't accept Jeff Goldblum. Even David Bowie, who is almost certainly a planeswalker, is too much to ask.

I absolutely love this idea! Yesterday I was making an MPCfill list with cards from Lord of the Rings and Dr. Who for the sole purpose of checking whether my potential cube includes already have alternative artworks that are more in line with my personal preferences. Sadly only very popular cards have alternate art, if at all.
I'm always happy when one of these cards is totally compatible with MtG, like Wake the Dragon. Back before WotC put out the Universes Within versions of their Stranger Things cards, there was a community effort to re-theme the cards to something more appropriate. But the sheer scale of the next 10 UnB releases makes it daunting.

I mean... I just made a custom version of Curse of Opulence because both the Gold token (I actually have cards that synergize with treasures) and the multiplayer wording annoyed me.
I'm pretty likely to remove the Boast synergy on Birgi, God of Storytelling at some point. If my cube got drafted more than twice a year it would be a higher priority, lol.

To achieve that goal, I have to change "Necrons" and "Daleks" into something else, because such creatures are inextricable parts of an incompatible fiction, but I can't make them "Golems" or "Constructs" because then the cards aren't mechanically identical.
Why should they be mechanically identical? You want that silly ip cards should be like og mtg cards. Does it really matter that in corner cases like contested cliffs that the card gets stronger? If it should be a beast in proper magic, a beast it is. Similarly, a construct. You want to use the good ideas they have but fucked up by using it on a silly ip to normal mtg. Go custom and make the game you want.

MtG was a great game, and it could be much better than it is now. The beauty of mtg is the interaction and the depth of the game, no game I know has this. Use what you like and discard what you do not like. It is your cube after all.

I have never seen it be used like that, but I am definitely going to keep that option in mind when I’m drafting a red midrange or control deck :D

You haven’t?

The reason why Curse of Opulence has that wording is to avoid this exact situation where you curse yourself which is a flavor fail.

With Curse of Riches it makes sense to curse yourself if you are being attacked by opponent sleightly more than you are attacking the opponent.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You haven’t?

The reason why Curse of Opulence has that wording is to avoid this exact situation where you curse yourself which is a flavor fail.

With Curse of Riches it makes sense to curse yourself if you are being attacked by opponent sleightly more than you are attacking the opponent.
To be fair, I have only drafted this cube once with Curse of Riches in it. Maybe that scenario will come up in future drafts!

To be fair, I have only drafted this cube once with Curse of Riches in it. Maybe that scenario will come up in future drafts!

So when you say “I have never seen it be used like that” you are talking about that one draft? :p

Anyways. Now you know. I think it’s a design mistake to open up for cursing yourself.

My suggestion would be to change the ‘Enchant player’ to ‘Enchant opponent’ and be done with it.

So when you say “I have never seen it be used like that” you are talking about that one draft? :p

Anyways. Now you know. I think it’s a design mistake to open up for cursing yourself.

My suggestion would be to change the ‘Enchant player’ to ‘Enchant opponent’ and be done with it.
It is maybe a design mistake for a curse, but for a card is it that much of a mistake? It opens up beautiful play patterns. The curse as is is playable in a red control deck which does not attack. Maybe change the name to buried in gold and avoid the curse name in the type?

It is maybe a design mistake for a curse, but for a card is it that much of a mistake? It opens up beautiful play patterns. The curse as is is playable in a red control deck which does not attack. Maybe change the name to buried in gold and avoid the curse name in the type?

That’s certainly an option. I just wanted to talk about the design because as it stands it is quite odd because you can flavorwise curse yourself which gives you treasures whenever you are being attacked. All I wanted was to make sure Onde knew this. Now they know so now they can deal with the card however they see fit.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like this suggestion. I just copied the text from Curse of Opulence and cut the multiplayer rider, but Velrun is correct that there now are corner cases in which it is correct to enchant yourself with a curse, which feels weird. I don't run any other curses, so if I'm making a custom, it's probably better to get rid of that name and type and the associated play patterns altogether!

Slime Zone of the Cryptids

I immediately wanted Old One Eye for my cube, and in the past year I think it's become obvious that Mawloc is a resilient addition to a lot of Gruul sections in the community. Would you like to play these cards in your cube without suffering the psychic injury of seeing unskippable ads in your card game? Me too!

The Wandering Watcher small.png

The Wandering Watcher
The Wandering Watcher with margin

Ever since Emrakul and her many appendages decided to tickle the fabric of Innistrad, things have been a little different around Lake Zhava. There have always been monsters here, ready to carry away local sheep (and local shepherds), but with a little experience and a firm grip on Avacyn's collar (the symbol of her church), a plucky farmhand could make a living. Even the more esoteric beasts were known to follow seasonal migration patterns, hunt along habitual territories, and leave behind identifiable spoor. No such certainties apply to these new creatures who scuttle and stalk among the algae and misty deadfalls at the edge of the lake. Some such things, neither bird nor beast, have become so notable that every sighting becomes a local legend. Such is the case with The Wandering Watcher, a creature with the unsettling habit of simply looking around, stalking from haunt to haunt. To what end? What's it looking for? Is there any answer you would find comforting? Not me!

Cryptid small.png

5/5 Cryptid
5/5 Cryptid with margin

Here's his little buddy!

Slime Eater small.png

Slime Eater
Slime Eater with margin

Some say the Slime Eaters used to be frogs who wished they were men. Others say they used to be men who wished they were frogs. In any case, they don't exactly eat slime, but they certainly crave it, and they certainly change it. To the horror of onlookers, it seems they have the capacity to reduce almost anything into slime. Such things are best avoided.