General Universes Restored

I like Cryptid as a creature type. The idea that the multiverse, with a plethora of bizarre creatures that may live in your neighbourhood, might also have yet stranger creatures whose existence is unsubstantiated, is very evocative.

Old One Eye becoming a creature wit lots of eyes is funny.

It's a shame there isn't space for flavour text, as I enjoyed the lore you created for these creatures.

Spiritcaller's Staff is a great name, but your players may be confused how much to pay when equipping it.

Should you take this opportunity to put reminder text on the Sword, as well?
Two very good points, thank you! I'll correct that tomorrow in the full size linke.

If you put it in MEDIA tags, it can display here without huge images. I seem to recall that editing the album later doesn't affect the post on here, though.

I'd maybe center the sword in the art, too. Feels wonky to me as is.
I just corrected the custom cards and uploaded them to imgur, they are now updated in your media post. Neat!

As for the sword.. Personally I like it off-center as it gives it more depth and shows a bit more of the background, but to each his/her own ;).

I have a question though for the ones who use image editing tools: does anyone know of a good free tool to extrapolate background? I often struggle with art that is a bit too close to the subject and doesn't fit well in the magic card art box. There are freemium AI tools aplenty but nothing I liked so far..

I have a question though for the ones who use image editing tools: does anyone know of a good free tool to extrapolate background? I often struggle with art that is a bit too close to the subject and doesn't fit well in the magic card art box. There are freemium AI tools aplenty but nothing I liked so far..
I've used Dall-E for this, but it's kinda all over the place with results. It will throw some weird stuff in there occasionally. Granted, that was 6-12 months ago, so maybe it's hugely improved by now. Another issue is that it burns up your uses really quickly because you have to go all the way around the image, meaning you need to do several generations.

A small addendum since it's getting repeated praise on the internet and I might as well order a copy of it to try it out... or not:

Thrill-Kill Disciple ( Orcish Raiders).pngThrill-Kill Disciple (Orcish Raiding Party).png

Ralph Horsley does work for WotC and also has some nice art not used on magic cards. I went with the left one first but didn't like the overlapping Godzilla frame, so I'll probably try out the second version. It looks quite wordy but at least most of it is reminder text (for very rarely seen abilities..) and plays nicely with discard matters and artifacts. I added them to the imgur albulm.

EDIT: Initially I wanted it to be a Viking raiding party, maybe dwarfs but could not find any art I liked. If anyone has a cool piece, I'd be happy to try it out :).

Attachments

• Thrill-Kill Disciple ( Orcish Raiders).png
    Thrill-Kill Disciple ( Orcish Raiders).png
    485.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Thrill-Kill Disciple (Orcish Raiding Party).png
    Thrill-Kill Disciple (Orcish Raiding Party).png
    456.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I think orcs are more likely than vikings or dwarves to have junk with them. Dwarves especially feel like they're specific to Treasure.

If you down the font size a tiny bit, you can get rid of the single words "it" and "sorcery" on those two lines.

Good Point about the junky orcs.
Unfortunately I had to do it like this with the text box, because sorcery was overlapping with the p/t box :rolleyes:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Damn, you have to do some trickiness to get that frame.

Three versions.
Blank line top and bottom.
fontsize-21
fontsize-20

Huge HQ images in the imgur album if you want to use them.
You can actually change the size of the text box in CardConjurer and shave off a bit from the bottom so it doesn't clip the PT box

When you edit the Text box text, there's an option to "Edit bounds".

Also, you can run CC locally using https://github.com/joshbirnholz/cardconjurer
Maybe you can find a darker white frame there for your project?

Last edited:
You can actually change the size of the text box in CardConjurer and shave off a bit from the bottom so it doesn't clip the PT box

Also, you can run CC locally using https://github.com/joshbirnholz/cardconjurer
Maybe you can find a darker white frame there for your project?
I looked through as many gits as I could find and they all, including this one, have the wrong frame. It'd be in /img/frames/seventh/regular/w.png. Google didn't have anything I could find, either.

I have one in MSE that's kinda low quality, only 375x573.

I'm not opposed to the classicshifted and might force myself into Pokemon to avoid having to search for pretty niche art. I'm interested in Onslaught right now, but that doesn't mean I can't do Pokemon.

Just to briefly weigh in on the framing issue, I actually vastly prefer the method used on the Secret Lair Universes Within version.

Instead of the inset second name line overlaid on the art, it lists the original SLD collector number in the collector info at the bottom of the card. When I restore one of these UnB cards, I usually list the set code and original card name here.

I find it's a lot less distracting from the card art.

Damn, you have to do some trickiness to get that frame.

Huge HQ images in the imgur album if you want to use them.
Hehe, yeah it's always a hassle with the Godzilla frame.

That's also a sweet piece of art and you fell right into the Scryfall copy-paste trap that costs me a few minutes every time because I don't notice immediately: in the textbox it still says Thrill-Kill Disciple ;).

Font size is definitely something I should play around with more, although personally I like it better if there is no space at the beginning of a card, it somehow feels more like a genuine thing.

I will try this next time, didnt know!

Instead of the inset second name line overlaid on the art, it lists the original SLD collector number in the collector info at the bottom of the card. When I restore one of these UnB cards, I usually list the set code and original card name here.

I find it's a lot less distracting from the card art.
It's definitely true that it distracts less from the art and that it's a cleaner way to show it, what I like about the godzilla frame though is that it clearly shows what card it represents. While my playgroup might remember a restored UB card they would never look at anything written below the rules text box. More options on how to do it is more better thoug, maybe I'll just ask my players, what they want :).

Thanks for all the advice!

Well, I didn't save it into my current project, so the ball is back in your court lol.
I just now realised that I can save images and don't have to do them from scratch every single time! Any idea how many images I can save? Also, I have stored the art locally and it says it uses way more than using a URL for the card but I don't see that option.

I just now realised that I can save images and don't have to do them from scratch every single time! Any idea how many images I can save? Also, I have stored the art locally and it says it uses way more than using a URL for the card but I don't see that option.
TOK0Gd3.png

You have to paste the URL in the "Via URL" field :)

You'll want to upload the local image to an image hosting site before you put it on the card. If not, you only have a few MB of storage via CC.

You'll want to upload the local image to an image hosting site before you put it on the card. If not, you only have a few MB of storage via CC.
Is there a good one to use? When I've tried it with Imgur the art doesn't show up for me for whatever reason.

Is there a good one to use? When I've tried it with Imgur the art doesn't show up for me for whatever reason.
I had that issue sometimes, as well. I've been using imgbb. I Googled like image hosting or something and it came up.