General Untap-Based Ramp

I love the idea of untap-based ramp, not in the least because it makes bouncelands a lot more viable. However, it's kind of crappy without dedicating an absurd amount of support for it. Has anyone made it work? My drafts have been based around the Lotus Field decks using the following cards and bouncelands, but it really hasn't been enough:

The following are also plausible for this archetype:

There are a few more, but these are the ones that I think are most relevant. The trouble becomes for me that they're both part of an A + B (+ C combo if you include Wild Growth or Wolfwillow Haven and friends) combo and are very fragile. Am I overthinking this? Are the parts good enough on their own just like in any other ramp shell?

Generally speaking, I like this style of ramp because it encourages having a reasonable number of different types of effects and makes it harder to splash willy-nilly. I also like how it can start to multiply with a bounceland + a Wild Growth + an untapper providing six mana instead of three or four from any two of the parts, which appeals to my desire for in-game drama. Also, making more mana off of fewer lands means that you can discard away the other lands and take more actions, which appeals to me. Maybe this all stems from internalized trauma at the hands of Llanowar Elves in an elfball deck that stomped me when I was little, idk. Point is, I like this method of generating mana A Lot.

There's also the concern of what to do with an absurd amount of mana. Kessig Wolf Run isn't my favorite as it's both repeatable and very hard to interact with, but a lot of X spells are just fine unless you really go off, and this archetype already suffers from siloing the parts pretty dramatically. Stuff like Fight with Fire is more my speed, as it's still respectable while offering a fun way to live the dream without guaranteeing victory. Nissa, Steward of Elements is a fun intersectional card here.

In closing: has anyone done something like this? Is it fun when it works? I don't know, but I've been bashing my head against it for a couple of years with no success.

Edit: I think the question I may be asking is how much the following card would break a bounce land environment in which Llanowar Elves is tolerably good? Note that the question isn't whether or not it'll break it but rather how much it'll break it by.

Untapping Elf
{G}
{T}: untap target land.
0/1

Last edited:
If you wanted to pursue this, I think there's no reason to not try out a creature untapping package as well. I don't know what that would look like, exactly, but you already have a few things that target permanents.

I don't really know. Get searching lol.

Reactions: dbs
i think you’re more likely to come up with a working archetype here if you focus less on “untap lands to make big mana” and more on “do something on my turn, untap some lands, do something on opponents turn.”

because what you then have is something adjacent to a Flash archetype, which is super cool and has a whole ‘nother strata of support cards:

Plus every instant ever printed

Last edited:
If you're intent on basing this archetype around bouncelands or Lotus Field, may I suggest Strict Proctor?

More generally... how fast are the formats you're trying this in? Would Naga Vitalist be playable in any of them? Because if your answer is "no", then the cards you're looking at are way too slow for your cube.

I also find it very weird that you're looking at this style of ramp and dismissing the land auras. Those are, quite literally, the key to making non-degenerate versions of land-untapping ramp work, since unlike the lands that naturally tap for more than one mana, they actually ramp you. If I have an Arbor Elf and a Wild Growth in my deck, I have two one-drop mana dorks (that happen to combo with each-other). If I have a Wandering Satyr and a Lotus Field in my deck, I have a two-drop mana dork and a combo piece.

I love the idea of untap-based ramp, not in the least because it makes bouncelands a lot more viable. However, it's kind of crappy without dedicating an absurd amount of support for it. Has anyone made it work? My drafts have been based around the Lotus Field decks using the following cards and bouncelands, but it really hasn't been enough
I used to play this archetype back in the day, and it was fun, but it was always just small package as part of a larger mana-dork-based ramp deck. Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl, and Wild Growth are already cards anyone trying to make a consistent early ramp deck work would likely be playing. Expanding the core of those three cards with things like Fertile Ground, Wolfwillow Haven, Voyaging Satyr, and even overgrowth makes sense. However, the pool of these effects is extremely shallow: you go from constructed playables all the way down to 23rd draft deck cards in only a few dedicated slots for this deck. Your mileage may vary depending on your Cube's power level, but I think unless the actively mediocre cards for this synergy are at least decent in your Cube the deck just isn't going to materialize.

Basically, if you play the best offerings for the land untap synergy as part of a robust regular ramp package, you will not be disappointed. But if you try to make it an archetype in itself, you'll likely have a bad time.

@Brad--good point on untapping creatures being an interesting interaction! Makes Drumbellower look even more attractive.

@blacksmithy--Totally different conversation, but I always felt like Flash's biggest problem was a lack of decent things to drop on 3 and 5 that aren't really pushed like Lutri, Vendilion Clique, or Endurance. Brazen Borrower is obviously good at a variety of powerlevels and is probably the fourth-best flash three-drop, but the next best card is...what? Spirit of the Hunt? Wolfir Avenger? Sigrid? They're fine, but all the decent ones have double pips and the ones that are single-pipped are incredibly mediocre. I think Vizier of Deferment or Stonecloaker may legitimately be the best single-pipped flash three-drops, and they're really niche, even by my standards. Maybe I need to be more open-minded about this? But I'd love to have something like you're describing not be so reliant on Wilderness Rec.

@LadyMapi--I don't like ramp on 1, so yeah, Naga Vitalist is actually something I like. This is again probably a "me" problem, as I don't know that I actually like the gameplay it produces. Also, I thought I talked a lot about the auras later on in the post, as you're totally right, they're the part that other decks tend to not prioritize nearly as much!

@TrainmasterGT--Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm bemoaning here. Oh well!

I used to play this archetype back in the day, and it was fun, but it was always just small package as part of a larger mana-dork-based ramp deck. Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl, and Wild Growth are already cards anyone trying to make a consistent early ramp deck work would likely be playing. Expanding the core of those three cards with things like Fertile Ground, Wolfwillow Haven, Voyaging Satyr, and even overgrowth makes sense. However, the pool of these effects is extremely shallow: you go from constructed playables all the way down to 23rd draft deck cards in only a few dedicated slots for this deck. Your mileage may vary depending on your Cube's power level, but I think unless the actively mediocre cards for this synergy are at least decent in your Cube the deck just isn't going to materialize.

Basically, if you play the best offerings for the land untap synergy as part of a robust regular ramp package, you will not be disappointed. But if you try to make it an archetype in itself, you'll likely have a bad time.
this sounds like a singleton breaking situation, or even dare i say… a custom card situation.
also at 3 mana you can ofc cast brazen borrower or innocuous insect… or an instant or two, or double flash spell a Brineborn Cutthroat with a cantrip or something? or just lay down your Moderation and prepare to draw cards

To answer your edited-in question... I don't think Untapping Elf would actually break anything. The most degenerate thing it would allow is:

T1 Forest, Untapping Elf → T2 bounceland + two-drop → T3 bounced land + five-drop.

As a filthy ramp player, that feels strong, but doesn't necessarily feel broken — especially since you're relying on a 0/1 surviving until you can untap on T3.

(I might steal that design, or something similar, for a future project...)

If you prefer ramp on 2, let's think about how that curves out.

T2 land + Voyaging SatyrT3 bounceland + three-drop → T4 bounced land + six-drop.
T2 land + Voyaging SatyrT3 land + Wolfwillow Haven + two-drop → T4 six-drop OR land + seven-drop.

That looks pretty workable.

Last edited:
I think being able to curve from a T2 Hierophant into a five-drop on T3 and an eight-drop on T4 with a single bounceland might be faster ramp than Zoss wants. I mean, I'd welcome our new ramp overlords with open arms, but that's just me.

I think it's 6 mana on T3? Float 2, drop bounceland, trigger on stack, untap bounceland, float 2, untap hierophant, untap bounceland, 2 more mana.

Can't get to my computer at the moment to piece together a better post, but I did have an iteration of the untap scheme fused with some self-mill and low-power upheaval tech that was a lot of fun in playtesting. Just gotta scroll down to that section: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/meanderings-at-castle-grayskull.1911/post-98196

Definitely had a lot of swaps to make in that decklist after realizing what the deck was capable of but the land/untap sequencing decisions in that style of deck are just a blast. Slogurk, the Overslime could seem kinda nutty in there too. I think it's the Flood of Tears that can really take advantage of the untapping in that kind of deck.

I don't know how necessary it is to support the full curve in the first place though, since your play patterns will usually be heavily peppered with interaction.
100% this. literally every instant in the cube can fill curve spots for a flash deck

I don't know how necessary it is to support the full curve in the first place though, since your play patterns will usually be heavily peppered with interaction.

They're fine, but all the decent ones have double pips and the ones that are single-pipped are incredibly mediocre.
Okay, I might have exaggerated a bit on them being incredibly mediocre, but the point stands that the actual creatures tend to be weirdly uneven in terms of quality and part of the point of a flash deck existing is to be unpredictable. If you're always wanting to cast a creature on 2 or 4 and interaction/noncreatures on 3 or 5, that's exploitable in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks for sharing, Heymaker! It looks pretty cool and is exactly what I was hoping to see here. And the shoutout to Prophet of Kruphix is a good one. Simic has gotten weirdly crowded, but that's a good one to try to make space for.

You can cast a 2 drop creature on T3 and use 1 mana for interaction or a cantrip or something. T5 can be a 2+3 or 1+4. T2 can be a creature or a counter. T4 can be 2+2, 3+1, etc etc. The problem you are struggling with doesn't really exist. The curve can still happen just fine.

And flash.dec isn't really about "unpredictability" IMO. Its about keeping the maximum number of options open at all times. Every turn can be permission or threat depending on the opponents actions. Maybe for the opponent that appears "unpredictable". A hybrid untap-flash is basically just slapping a control and midrange deck together. Play out sorceries and threats on turn, untap for permission and flash their turn. Maximum mana utilization a goal in both turns.

Sure, if you want to take apart the semantics of flexible versus unpredictable and how one leads to the other then that's fine, but the point remains that there are holes in the archetype and that they make the deck unwieldy. My issue with hybrid untap-flash decks is that they're an even more narrow subset of both flash and untap decks, needing one of a very small pool of cards to function as such. That's great as a single-card archetype type of deck, but if you want to make it a tentpole of your format you're fighting an uphill battle.

May I introduce you to our lord and savior Penny Pincher Cube? It's doing this thing since... idk actually, let me check... 2015 and it's really fun. I strongly believe that you want to be untapping lands as untapping creatures makes your whole spiel a lot more vulnerable. Magus of the Candelabra specifically is great in bounceland formats. So I think you'd want to go with Bouncelands+other Landchantments that cooperate with them.

Oh duh, thanks for the reminder! Yeah, I've run a lot of these cards including the Magus, but I'll check against that later today to see if I can figure out why my decks haven't been performing.