Card/Deck White Support Cards

Chris Taylor

Contributor
A white section can't just be creatures and removal, since that usually leads to too much of one or the other. This thread is for discussing the other cards you add in, things like planeswalkers, combat tricks, anthem effects,

Anything that isn't a creature or removal spell

To get things started off, me and FSR have had a lot of success with this card

Due to it's cheap cost and synergy with the prowess mechanic.

What support cards do you run?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

That's about it I guess. The rest is creatures and removal, and to be honest, three on this list will act like removal most of the time.

That is true. I've seen it cast maybe once in a half dozen cube drafts. Triple white not worth it most of the time.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Some atypical white cards that I run/have run and like.

Card Selection
Tithe is the less miserable version of land tax. While its raw power level is obviously way below land tax's, it has the notable upside of being able to grab white duals.
Enlightened Tutor is decent enough.
Survival Cache is decent, but occasionally horrible.

Tricks
Shelter is the bomb.
Rally the Peasants and Fortify are pretty good mass pump tricks

Other
Mana tithe is fun if you don't care that its a blue card.
Cataclysm is great and buildaroundific.
Replenish needs the right cube.

Obviously I love auras, but they are "creatures" in a manner of speaking, so I'm not sure they count.

I like the look of citadel siege, but its kinda cheating because its half removal.

A lot of white's miscellaneous effects involve lifegain or preventing damage and just aren't that great.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Some atypical white cards that I run/have run and like.

Card Selection
Tithe is the less miserable version of land tax. While its raw power level is obviously way below land tax's, it has the notable upside of being able to grab white duals.
Enlightened Tutor is decent enough.
Survival Cache is decent, but occasionally horrible.

Tricks
Shelter is the bomb.
Rally the Peasants and Fortify are pretty good mass pump tricks

Other
Mana tithe is fun if you don't care that its a blue card.
Cataclysm is great and buildaroundific.
Replenish needs the right cube.

Obviously I love auras, but they are "creatures" in a manner of speaking, so I'm not sure they count.

I like the look of citadel siege, but its kinda cheating because its half removal.

A lot of white's miscellaneous effects involve lifegain or preventing damage and just aren't that great.

Auras arent creatures! They help apply pressure, but you need a creature around already. I'd say that's a distinction worth consdiering
Cards like midnight haunting or lingering souls are actually just creatures though. Resiliant ones because of the multiple bodies, but creatures nonetheless
I'm wondering about citadel siege too. Will anyone play it for the counter mode?

Some of these are partially creatures/removal, but I included every card that has other interesting modes involved.

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and list everything in my binder as well.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Sweet card, great stories.

For those who are wondering why this is on the list, you can activate it after damage has been dealt, making it 1 mana all my dudes have vigilance in addition to it's intended effect.

I've also noticed that white is basically never 50-50, usually hovering around 60% creatures. What do you guys think?
I'll admit I started this thread looking for ideas, but noticed I needed far less than I initially thought I did.

Reconnaissance is going in my next update. I think it's going to be very good at pushing combat because you can use it to save the guys you would otherwise lose.

I don't run Wurmcoil or Baneslayer, but this card essentially shuts them down on defense. Whoever they block, just remove that creature from combat. Also works great with dudes that trigger effects on attacking (but who usually die during combat… Hellrider, Geist of Saint Traft, etc.) Worried about your opponent's Ophiomancer token killing your Hero of Bladehold? Don't be.

all the anti removal spells kinda depress me, but you all seem to like them so...?
I find combat tricks and similar garbage are best when you have a body on them or an ability like cycling or scry to increase a deck's internal flexibility and to help make a very marginal effect feel less shallow.

I've always been super skeptical about including a lot of creature pants that don't move around in cube. People are afraid to play them because every player knows the sting of being caught or just drawing one in a creature light hand, while if you encourage their play with a potty-removal environment you end up with the ever exciting voltron games that plague a lot of peasant and pauper cube formats.

The new Heliod Pilgrim may be an exception to that. I really like that card.

Cards like Eternal Dragon, Revilark, Ranger of Eos, and Harms Way can add a lot of depth to white without really feeling like ugly situational draws and while fitting more than one role you could be looking for in a draft deck.

I've found the two coolest synergy's white has to play with are that wraths make it a super interesting graveyard /death trigger deck if you can build it and token instants and sorceries play really well with spells matter and group pump synergies. Blink decks are possible and can be fun but feel kinda like an easy way out and really hollow now that damage aint on the stack no more.
Find ways to make white more fun to pair with multiple colours.

So...wouldn't reconnisance let your creatures still deal damage to blocking creatures then untap?

Technically, yes. But we play cards as written. And it very expressly indicates that using the ability prevents all combat damage. So we would play it that way.

My reply was with respect to blink specifically (it's much better with stacked damage). But I still think reconnaissance is unique and interesting enough to justify a slot in my cube. Might end up wrong about that though, but we'll see?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Uh. How are you going to take advantage of this? It also seems at odds with white decks wanting to run Armageddon. Might combo nicely with cards that sacrifice lands for value though. Zuran Orb, I'm looking at you!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Emerge Unscathed is awesome with prowess. If you run any prowess creatures at all, I'm sure you'll notice a difference.