Sets (WHO) Dr. Who Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures using /ci or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.

Including:
b2a31a8f-5576-4ab7-bc3b-778a252d4c10.jpg

Testing:

Testable:

Unstable Cubicorns:
lol no.

I definitely think this set failed to meet the expectations of myself and many other Dr. Who fans. I think they leaned too hard into the casual commander angle and not enough into making a product that could satisfy the majority of potential players. I think there are a couple of hits (primarily in the Saga section, with cards like The Flux, Genesis of the Daleks, and The Sea Devils, along with some good two-drops for artifact aggro), but I think as a whole this set just doesn't quite deliver. I'm really sad none of the doctors are better, specifically The Eleventh Doctor since he's my favorite. In either case, I'm at least happy Dinosaurs on a Spaceship made it onto a card that I can use, even though it's probably worse than Riders of Rohan. At least this one works with Welcome To... Jurassic Park.

What are your plans for this set?
-GT

Last edited:
Thought it was worth putting here for posterity, also because there are some changes I've considered since I posted the other day.

Miles' Recommendations​

Each of these cards provides something exciting and new that expands options for Cubes of many different power-levels. If I were running a tight 360 list, I'd still be considering each of these; though admittedly, it'd be entirely dependent on which themes I was running outside of Frost Fair Lure Fish.

The white two-drops in particular are excellent friends to the world of Toolcraft Exemplar and Nettlecyst, an area I'm looking to grow alongside other fun trinkets-matter cards like Chatterfang, Squirrel General, Academy Manufactor, or Samwise Gangee.

Inclusions​

I had previously neglected to mention The Fourth Doctor, who is pretty fun and good support for my Legendary-matters subtheme (in addition to being my favorite Doctor, a nice bonus!). Ace's Baseball Bat contributes to a similar goal while validating my playgroup's love of equipment (and my preference to move away from the Swords of X and Y as the standard). Ecstatic Beauty is just a great card draw spell that reminds me a lot of Ancestral Vision in a color that needs it more with an extra out if you don't have the time to suspend.

Interested​

Yeah, I hated Flux, but maybe I'll just deal with it? I dunno.

landofMordor

Administrator
My Magic boomer era has fully begun. I'm not reading these things until I sit down to write the Lucky Paper community review.

(I mean, I can also talk design: WHO demonstrates the diminishing returns of glue cards, and illustrates the role that nostalgia and familiarity play in reducing felt complexity... but either way, I ain't reading all that.)

My Magic boomer era has fully begun. I'm not reading these things until I sit down to write the Lucky Paper community review.

(I mean, I can also talk design: WHO demonstrates the diminishing returns of glue cards, and illustrates the role that nostalgia and familiarity play in reducing felt complexity... but either way, I ain't reading all that.)
What? You don't want to read Hill Giant with a novel's worth of useless text?
giphy.gif

Certain:
None

Near Certain:
Astrid Perth: I think this will likely take the place of Spirited Companion. I don't explicitly support the cheeky token deck, but this is a great piece for that deck. Feels akin to Tireless Tracker as a mostly self-contained engine. I've never watched Dr Who and I can easily convince myself this is just a random legendary creature which is a bonus.

Uncertain but Interested:
Cyberman Patrol: This feels like it would hit like a hammer in my environment. The artifact aggro deck is already one of the fastest archetypes I support....and it doesn't really need the extra juice. I'm also not really sure if this effect is neccesary or valuable for the archetype or interesting for my cube. Artifact aggro already has plenty of reach.

Interested but Doubtful:
Genesis of the Daleks: Interesting as a bomb, but not really anything my cube needs.
Sarah Jane Smith: Triggering only once a turn is lame. Trinket text is annoying.
Clockwork Druid: Elegant card, but room in the colorless section is hard to come by.

Testing:

Banish is mildly interesting because it also looks for legendary lands. However it is still just an O-Ring that could be cheap. Arts on these could be from a non-Doctor Who world and that's a qualifying factor. Same with the names. It's a little goofey but it's on the acceptable realm. Don't know what to do about the set logo.

Always looking for fun, simple colorless cards. I see @Velrun just mentioned this, but I wonder why others don't? Removal on a land seems cubable enough! Only card for me though; I agree with others that there's just too much and too specific text here.

Ooh, I didn't see that land. I think I will proxy it at some point. It would look fine in a retro frame, with a different flavor text and set symbol. Nice!

I considered mentioning it in the spoiler thread, but I figured most people who'd consider it would be more interested in Necron Deathmark.

I think they're close. I wouldn't particularly prefer the Dalek Drone in a vacuum, but I can't pretend I don't prefer nugging my opponent for 3 over milling (usually myself) a few cards.

A 5/3 on the ground is generally worse than a 3/3 that's de-facto unblockable, sure, but I like Necron Deathmark's huge power on the defense to keep anything smaller than a Titan at bay if you're on the ropes. Being able to take down their best creature and leave up 5 power to trade with feels like a great use of 5 mana in black, of which there are fairly few.

But the big thing is flash. Maybe I'm overrating it at 5MV, but being able to ruin your opponent's combat thoroughly with Necron Deathmark is a delight.

I'm currently running 3 5MV black creatures in my 720 Cube: Necron Deathmark, Royal Warden, and Shriekmaw. As much as I would personally be happy to have a Dalek somewhere in my list and am always eager for more artifact creatures, I'd rather reduce the number of high MV cards than have a third ETB kill effect at that slot.

But is the extra mana worth it over Ravenous Chupacabra? Yes.

Semi-relatedly, I just found out that Necron Deathmark is currently listed in under 1,000 Cubes on Cube Cobra -- roughly half that of Yargle, Glutton of Urborg! Wild. I guess the Lucky Paper team is right, the UB and Commander expansions are very much overlooked by Cube curators these days (probably only somewhat on purpose).