General Making Aggro more inclusive

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I wouldn't describe a tokens approach as being shallow. They are great chump blockers, feed wide aggro, and are great with anthem or charge effects. Some of them are strong incidental support for tribal themes, all of them are amazing with mentor of the meek, they feed sacrifice themes. In addition, they work in spells matter delver decks and feed mechanics like convoke.

The issue with cards like strangleroot geist and blade splicer is that they slow formats down due to their board clogging effect. The cards you mentioned are also all independently powerful, which means they won't push those players towards the small aggro beaters and we’ll end up with the same bifurcation as before. I'm looking for something more like angelic overseer, tajic, blade of the legion, hellion eruption, seraph of the masses, which reward playing a large number of small early beaters, and appeal to a certain type of player.

Ummmm, I don't know how including more cards that can be exciting to a number of archetypes creates unnatural bifrication. It just means there are fewer dead picks later on and people can feel less committed to a strategy more often.

The issue with cards like strangleroot geist and blade splicer is that they slow formats down due to their board clogging effect.
You mean like token strategies lol?

The cards you mentioned are also all independently powerful, which means they won't push those players towards the small aggro beaters
Are you saying these cards will be powerful enough that players wont feel forced into engaging in linear archetypes highly reliant on the availability of synergistic cards that compensate for individual low power and are incredibly frustrating to opt out of if you are being cut or dismal in the case of skewed draws? I like that strong cards with synergy and some crossover interest to other decks encourage players to explore too.

Also I really feel like you'd have a hard time finding cubers who think strangle root geist is particularly independently powerful and doesn't encourage the drafter to make an attacking creatures deck.

They are great chump blockers, feed wide aggro, and are great with anthem or charge effects
Yes, this is sorta what I mean by shallow. All of these sort of amount to battalion level interest for me, and that really isn't enough and doesn't really expand the aggro decks "put creatures into play" "Attack and block with them" "try not to over extend" "find some way to continue playing more than one spell per turn" gameplan besides making attacking decisions slightly more interesting. To me battalions and anthems and triggering when creatures come into play and over runs are all still existing in an area of magic that still isn't engaging in the deeper parts of the game that other decks get to enjoy and isn't involving any new variables or resources into the mix for the poor aggro deck. It's just nice that more things get to proc for them on any given turn.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I agree token themes can slow down formats, that’s why I only have them present in white, and I removed almost all of my eldrazi spawn makers. If token themes fed exclusively into anthem or charge effects, I would agree with you that they are shallow, but here--at least--there is demand for them from a wide range of deck types that largely want to exploit them as a resource.

The issues that have to be balanced with persist and undying creatures is that they come with a reasonable body and are likely to trade with aggro beaters rather than chump while also clogging the board. At a certain density, they are going to slow a format down (or in conjunction with other themes), which skews it away from tempo plays and more towards midrange or control. Now maybe you are not running a high density of them, maybe you want a slower format--I don't know, but its an issue with the cards that has to be weighed before including them, at least in so far as the theme of this thread is concerned.

When you are drafting any type of aggro, you have to place a priority on one drops, which are essential for the strategy to work. A card like blade splicer--while capable of fiting into an aggro deck--will be lower in the pick order simply because it is a three drop. Its just more likely to be drafted by a midrange player, where it serves as both a great blocker against aggro, and an effective threat against control.

Cards like thundermaw hellkite, and other 4-5cc cards, are simply not something an aggro player is prioritizing, and as a result are far more likely to end up in a midrange deck than an aggro deck. This is because they are independently powerful midrange cards. Now lets compare this with Tajic, blade of the legion. Its a powerful card with midrange stats--but needs a team of small creatures played turns 1-3 in order to hit its max potential, and is in aggressive colors. This effectively bridges the gap between aggro and midrange players, and provides an incentive for a Timmy player to actually see the small creatures in the pack. If hellkite was in the pack instead, Timmy just picks the dragon and continues to ignore the small creatures.

More importantly, you can't make an inclusive aggro archetype by shifting options away from the aggro players and towards the midrange and control players. I think you are a nice guy, and I like you and appreciate your posts--so don't take this as a personal attack-- but I do feel your bias is coming out a bit here.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, but then you accept that those more widely usable cards will be poached by midrange/control decks sometimes.

Which is fine as long as those more widely used cards involve incorporating some of the small beaters. see the tajic example. In that context they arn't really being poached at all, because the small and large creatures mutually support one another. Another good example is Angelic overseer in a cube supporting champion of the parish. The two cards want each other, and angel is attractive to Timmy players.

Thats the difference between running independently powerful midrange or control beaters, and hoping they end up in an aggro deck, and running midrange cards that incorporate small creatures as part of the strategy.

Now, I think blade splicer is slanted more towards the midrange spectrum simply because of pick order. Strangleroot is much closer and depends on the makeup of the cube; but my problem with that card is that it looks like just another spike beater, and unlikely to excite the types of players I am trying to make aggro fun for. Outside of concerns over their impact on format speed, of course.

It definitely seems like an uphill battle since the Timmy player inherently wants to play cards with more oomph, when aggro is primarily incremental. Another question would be, are the Timmy players in your group pro enough to pick up on interesting strategies to supplement aggro? For example, reanimating Craterhoof. That is broad but supports aggro Timmies. Or maybe Glare of Subdual, digesting its implicit aggravation. While more narrow, you could run more cards that deny blockers like Frenzied Goblin and/or Nightbird's Clutches if stuff like Blade Splicer and auto-recurring creatures are annoying. White in general has a lot of good ways of dealing with those kinds of creatures, also.

Dom, every time I see your avatar I get that goddamn music stuck in my head.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'll admit it’s a bit difficult for me to get into his mindset because it’s so alien to me. I still have a hard time parsing between how much of this is him being bad at drafting and him just enjoying more flashy plays. I think its a mixture of the two.

Your example of the craterhoof is actually a perfect illustration of this. Being a graveyard cube, I run quite a few of the 4-5cc reanimation effects in black and in white--but he has never gone for them, which is perplexing to me, as it is by far the most efficent way to get a large creature into play. If I put craterhoof in, he would love it, but I suspect he would try to just ramp it out, even though the ramp options aren’t that great and there is some brutal hand disruption in the format. I'm not sure exactly how to approach that aspect of the problem, as it’s a little awkward to go to someone and deconstruct the myriad things they are doing wrong in the draft.

I'm pretty sure Blade Splicer is a higher pick than most 1-drops for a player looking to draft aggro; it's going to make his deck as long as his deck is remotely white even if he gets pushed off aggro during the draft, AND the 1-drop is more likely to wheel anyways. Blade Splicer is good in pretty much any deck that can cast it, whereas, say, Champion of the Parish or Stromkirk Noble only really go in one type of deck.

Strangleroot Geist is probably going to slow down your format significantly less than a plethora of token makers.

Personally, I'd rather put more individually good cards that are in demand for multiple themes/speeds of decks, while minding the overall curve of the cube of course. A few archetype anchors and a lot of flex cards that fit wherever tends to be more interesting to draft than a lot of anchors and not many flex cards.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm pretty sure Blade Splicer is a higher pick than most 1-drops for a player looking to draft aggro; it's going to make his deck as long as his deck is remotely white even if he gets pushed off aggro during the draft, AND the 1-drop is more likely to wheel anyways. Blade Splicer is good in pretty much any deck that can cast it, whereas, say, Champion of the Parish or Stromkirk Noble only really go in one type of deck.

Strangleroot Geist is probably going to slow down your format significantly less than a plethora of token makers.

Personally, I'd rather put more individually good cards that are in demand for multiple themes/speeds of decks, while minding the overall curve of the cube of course. A few archetype anchors and a lot of flex cards that fit wherever tends to be more interesting to draft than a lot of anchors and not many flex cards.

I think there may be a little bit of a misunderstanding here, so let me clarify my issue. Aggro drops currently take up a large percentage of cube space. However, most of our existing aggro sections are great. They are very competitive, capable of winning games, and can go 3-0 in a draft.

Thankfully, the viability of aggro is not an issue. The issue I am trying to explore here is how to make aggro more appealing to a player focused on flashy plays (Timmy), and a player focused on creative deck building (Johnny). In short, how to make aggro less spike focused.

You seem to be addressing a somewhat different, albeit loosely related, issue brought up in other threads focusing on the amount of space given to aggro cards in a cube (a viable point of discussion), where your solution is to run cards more interchangeable along the roshambo axis, thereby solving the space issue by having more individual cards capable of shifting between archetypes in a draft. Unfortunately, my problem is a bit broader.

My problem is that Timmy magic player will not see blade splicer as an aggro card—it will almost always feed into a midrange deck where he or she gets to play big monsters. Strangleroot geist--on its own--won't even be a card. In fact, I actually ran both strangleroot geist and blade splicer for a long time in my old cube, but this problem still existed for me despite the individual existence of those cards. Now maybe there are ways to give those cards more broad appeal, but that would have to be presented.

You are absolutely correct that, in a vacuum at least, noble and champion are narrow aggro cards. If you look through the thread, however, we brewed up some ideas on how to give them broader appeal and I shared some personal successes in doing so. Still, if you don't like those cards, you don't have to run them. I am simply trying to find ways to make early one drops fit into the sort of magic that a Johnny or a Timmy player is interested in doing.

I run noble and double champ so clearly I like the cards ; o

I pretty much don't see a point in trying to convince people to draft particular archetypes. A lot of the appeal in cubing is just doing whatever you feel like. If a drafter isn't interested in drafting aggro, that's on them.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, the problem is that an environment--i.m.o-- is noticeably better when there is early pressure on the ground. Even the players avoiding aggro like the plague over here, are of the opinion that the night is more fun when aggro is around.

And that’s the conundrum--they want it in the format, but 2/3 of the player base isn't drawn to it. I've made some tweaks that have helped, but I am sure there is more I could do to peak people's interest in 1 drops, besides their ability to win games.

For example, I was thinking of maybe this card the other night, but I am not sure it would have the desired effect (or maybe just be so cool who cares):

Man there are so many things I wish I had responded to earlier here, the conversation has gone far and wide. I think I'm happier I didn't get too embroiled in this though.

The issues that have to be balanced with persist and undying creatures is that they come with a reasonable body and are likely to trade with aggro beaters rather than chump while also clogging the board. At a certain density, they are going to slow a format down (or in conjunction with other themes), which skews it away from tempo plays and more towards midrange or control. Now maybe you are not running a high density of them, maybe you want a slower format--I don't know, but its an issue with the cards that has to be weighed before including them, at least in so far as the theme of this thread is concerned.

When you are drafting any type of aggro, you have to place a priority on one drops, which are essential for the strategy to work. A card like blade splicer--while capable of fiting into an aggro deck--will be lower in the pick order simply because it is a three drop. Its just more likely to be drafted by a midrange player, where it serves as both a great blocker against aggro, and an effective threat against control.

I think my first point should be regarding how drafting aggro decks tends to work for me. This can vary a little with more in more comboy aggro decks or with more hybrid beaters but it has essentially held true in all but the most aggressive of cube formats. The attacking dorks and cards that make the aggro deck work tend to come around. No one else is particularly interested in 2/1s for their body except you. Most of the time even making their presence spotty is good enough to get anyone else out of your yard, and sometimes even that isn't necessary. The cards other archetypes are interested in, the ones that cost 1-3 and either have an above the curve body or are good at forcing damage while having some intrinsic other value, you more or less have first dibs on because you know elite vanguard doesn't sell very high.

The beauty of this is that as a person who has taken a one drop, a blade splicer, a finks, some land and an equipment, if something does start to go weird and it turns out someone is cutting your grass eating up the bears you wanted to wheel, your cards are super portable, and your deck is already looking like it's not going to lose it's aggressive edge just because you are going to have to broaden your read on the table.

I want more cards to feel like that.
I love finding myself with a time walk, a venser, and a clique and looking at the terror and the porcelain legionnaire in a pack and trying to get a feel for what I'd been passing and how I want to play tonight.

Yes, and the idea here is to find ways to avoid narrow roshambo aggro strategies.
Man this really bothers me. I really hope that there isn't too much actual roshambo in peoples cubes. I find a triangle really hard to believe, especially given how often people let control and midranged become inbred in peoples cubes, where control is often just the midranged deck with more disruption and less "go-big-fuel". I believe that in many people's cubes there is a real battle between going over and going under, and then there are reactive decks that try to fight both of these proactive strategies in order to not just die. I think, as you do, that a little go under is necessary, but I prefer to think of it as pressure because I feel like it frees up my thinking, and takes me away from looking at decks like precon packages.

Are you really seeing a lot of Roshambo? Aggro beating control and control beating midranged and midranged outlasting aggro?
It's so funny, all my midranged decks are funny value combo decks made up of silly loops and small creatures and tutoring and I always get eaten up by aggro and then have really entertaining games against control and midranged. Actually come to think of it, besides my aggro decks, most of the other decks I make in cube are really weird examples of their kind. I guess it's because aggro ideally has a much narrower scope of the game in mind and most designers just seed their cube with everything to build a handful of fine aggro decks and everyone else goes to great lengths to avoid those cards.

Now lets compare this with Tajic, blade of the legion. Its a powerful card with midrange stats--but needs a team of small creatures played turns 1-3 in order to hit its max potential, and is in aggressive colors. This effectively bridges the gap between aggro and midrange players, and provides an incentive for a Timmy player to actually see the small creatures in the pack. If hellkite was in the pack instead, Timmy just picks the dragon and continues to ignore the small creatures.
I really must be missing something regarding Tajic. When I see that card I read:
I am a 2/2 for 4 and whenever I attack, if you have a million other attacking creatures, I become a "The Abyss". If next turn, you still have a million creatures to attack with, you may activate your the abyss again, or in the case that your opponent has nothing to say about a million creatures attacking them, you may do a bunch of damage. To me it's like the lamest devotion god ever. Devotion to attacking creatures lol. I guess it blocks alright. I'll say that for it, it's a fine 4 mana grounded maze of ith.

I guess I'm also just super not into cards that are as linear as that. I wonder if I'd even play it in a midranged deck if the deck had two white army in can cards. I want people with all kinds of different cards in their pile to be able to pick up the same pack full of cards and see all kinds of different potential for them. Like how mana leak looks like a great way to fend of wrath of god or stay ahead for a weenie deck, it looks like a great snapcaster mage target and early defense for a guy with a couple control cards or to the guy with the makings of a value/tempo deck it looks like a great way to fill in his turns and plays great in hand with the flash on his boon satyr.

More importantly, you can't make an inclusive aggro archetype by shifting options away from the aggro players and towards the midrange and control players. I think you are a nice guy, and I like you and appreciate your posts--so don't take this as a personal attack-- but I do feel your bias is coming out a bit here.

It's so weird because I really like playing fun-police decks, though I find they can lead to a lot of sour tastes in people's mouths. I guess it's kinda close to the reasoning wizards dropped stone rain. Well I'm not of that mindset. I like the fun police decks a lot more when they are, well, fun, though. Whether that means waddel and legacy's brainstorms and resource attacking beside one drops and DRS or instant classic black grindy graveyard aggro or even something simpler like the cutesy human weenies featuring Xathrid Necromancer and Dark Confidant, Jinxed Idol and Revilark you'd see the makings of from time to time in Eric's cube. I think I just don't want to play linear aggro in cube. There's finesse and art to it in constructed but cube isn't that refined and doesn't reward you with seeing through the matchup like a well playtested boros deck does. Moreover, I believe the roll of aggro as a separate and distinct entity in people's cubes could be improved. I was over the moon the first time I realized I might actually want to play damnation and earthquake in my zombies deck! That's so sick right?

I gotta know if you really think games would get to slow if there were more resilient aggro creatures running around that doubled as good blockers (or creatures that are good before wraths) for other archetypes. I find it hard to believe that blade splicer is way better for the long game decks than it is for the one trying to put on the pressure. I think giving aggro decks more cards (card advantage) and inevitability is also just a great way to air them out a bit. Pyromasters over Hellriders maybe? If Aggro decks started having early pressure, but then being able to compete in the midgame as opposed to just trying to burn themselves out leading up to it, would that be so bad? Would we have to call them midranged decks?

SORRY ABOUT THE EYESORE GUYS

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What I really want to know, is what would make a timmy player or a johnny player draft a bunch of small 1 mana beaters, and do so consistently.

For example with tajic, Timmy sees a 7/7 indestructible, and goes rawr, but needs small beaters to get there. I think you, like me, might have a hard time understanding that viewpoint, but I want to reach out to it. For blade splicer, it doesn’t matter which deck its better in if the type of players I am concerned about don't have the psychological drive to draft it and put it into an aggressive deck with 1cc beaters. Blade splicer either needs to be flashy and fun, or it needs to be a creative outlet

But no, this is good:

I think I just don't want to play linear aggro in cube. There's finesse and art to it in constructed but cube isn't that refined and doesn't reward you with seeing through the matchup like a well playtested boros deck does. Moreover, I believe the roll of aggro as a separate and distinct entity in people's cubes could be improved. I was over the moon the first time I realized I might actually want to play damnation and earthquake in my zombies deck! That's so sick right?

Let’s cut the linear aggro. I guess to me, blade splicer and geist are just such blah aggro cards that its almost like throwing in the towel. I am open to ideas, but what’s the spice here? What’s something else we can run with them that makes them juicy? For example, I've seen you talk about pyromancer's before, and that seems like a great creative outlet.

Timmies love tribal stuff. They will tear each other apart for a Coat of Arms. Since your cube is lower powered, maybe opt for a bunch of decent aggro creatures of the same creature type. Maybe toss in some lords.

Since Timmies like big creatures and you want them to play small creatures, maybe more levelers? Especially ones like Student of Warfare for encouraging aggro.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, coast of arms seems like a great idea. I already have loose tribal themes, and that might be a good all around incentive card. I've had those themes backfire a little bit, since they just pile into it in the draft, and this might make it a little safer.

Alfonzo had mentioned leveler's earlier in the threat but I had never really explored it. Its a mechanic I hope they bring back and explore a bit, since they are such great mana sinks, and can lead to interesting decisions on how you advance your board

Cube Proven Aggressive Levelers

Less Established

More Questionable

I don't suppose we have anyone that self identifies as a Timmy on these boards that can give their opinion? Transcendent master looks like the sweetest, though beastbreaker gets big too.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've had good experiences with Beastbreaker and Transcendent Master, even though they are not in my cube anymore. They're both humans as well, which feeds nicely into Champion of the Parish (a card worth doubling up on), Mayor of Avabruck and Angelic Overseer.

CML

Contributor
Ok, coast of arms seems like a great idea. I already have loose tribal themes, and that might be a good all around incentive card. I've had those themes backfire a little bit, since they just pile into it in the draft, and this might make it a little safer.

Alfonzo had mentioned leveler's earlier in the threat but I had never really explored it. Its a mechanic I hope they bring back and explore a bit, since they are such great mana sinks, and can lead to interesting decisions on how you advance your board

Cube Proven Aggressive Levelers

Less Established

More Questionable

I don't suppose we have anyone that self identifies as a Timmy on these boards that can give their opinion? Transcendent master looks like the sweetest, though beastbreaker gets big too.

student is better than figure, cut neither
guul draz is not an aggro card but is cool
kargan is fine but too narrow for my liking
master is probably fun in some environments
tuskcaller is quite powerful and is probably fun in a lot of environments
the rest of those cards are cool in Rise of the Eldrazi limited

What I really want to know, is what would make a timmy player or a johnny player draft a bunch of small 1 mana beaters, and do so consistently.

And there in lies the problem. IMO, there really isn't. And I've sort of accepted that.

Here's the reality. Aggro is actually pretty poisonous because it's narrow as fuck and requires a shit ton of slots to support. But it generally gets a free pass in cube design because it is a beloved strategy for Spike, so much so that typical cube design requires that it exist for meta balance (hence the Roshambo allegations). And honestly, there isn't anything wrong with that approach if this is what your playgroup enjoys (which is what this all boils down to in the end). I think most guys here have pretty competitive groups with highly skilled players, and that is the sort of environment that will be the most fun for those players generally speaking.

I have a spike friend who does not like my cube but he would probably have multiple orgasms playing Jason's.

I'm a Jonny through and through, so is one of my good friends, and the other regulars in my group are Timmy/Jonny hybrids (more Timmy). Nobody drafts aggro because no one likes to play it or against it (except my Spike friend). If I could make a cube that fully supported combo and wasn't poisonous and narrow, we'd all have mulitple orgasms playing said cube. But my cube building skills are not that good, so I simply try to put as much synergy in my cube as possible and keep the power level and speed at a place where experimentation and thinking outside the box is generally rewarded instead of punished. And guys are having fun with that though I do think I could make things better if I had more time to focus on it. Sadly I do not, so I enjoy living vicarious through you good people in threads like this one.

CML

Contributor
so if you take a look at my list for example, what is first-pickable? i bet there's 100+ cards and most of the more popular ones are less committal than "aggro card" or "control card," which i think is a good thing but then it's lame if someone wants a batterskull all the time, for example -- it's 'feel-bad' if you want to first-pick a card competitively but don't want to first-pick it aesthetically. http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/114

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I actually think I have some pretty good concepts now to make my Timmy player happy in the aggro department via tribal incentives.

I have a few Johnny ideas, but of the one's we discussed already, would a package of aggro creatures with +1 +1 counters (nobles/champions/experiment one) but also access to ion storm and other counter manipulators tempt your inner johnny at all?

I've been running talrand, sky summoner for a while, and the cool thing about that card is that its basically a cubable storm card you want in a delver style aggro-control deck. At the higher end of the power spectrum I think he sucks, because removal will smoke him, but here he has been good and I suspect there is potential I could build upon. If I had the space to adds cards like gush, frantic search, and more cheap flashback into the mix, there is real potental to combo out. Sort of like how pod works in modern, or the lab maniac deck I built--just a solid value plan that sometimes just kills you out of nowhere.

Edit: @CML, at a glance, any and all titans, wolfir, GSZ, avenger of zend, craterhoof, pod, deathrite, bonfire, entreat, revillark, archangel, consecrated sphinx, metamorph, <insert planeswalker>, snapcaster