Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Nobody else but me cares, but Oblivion Sower teams up with Cloudstone Curio to be a more easily tutored win condition for Animar, Soul of Elements (French) EDH while being a reasonable setup for a bigger objective in the future. Worse than Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre for normal games (and significantly worse than Primeval Titan in French), but there is a niche for "colorless 6 drop Cloudstone Curio loop enabler that kills with summoning sick Animar."

I know this is in English but it might as well be in French, can you explain the combo for us slower folk

I know this is in English but it might as well be in French, can you explain the combo for us slower folk

Le pouvoir d'Animar peux réduire les sorts des créatures que vous lancez. Si Bibelot de pierrenuage est sur le champs de bataille, vous pouvez retourner a main <<Oblivion Sower>> est un autre créature non-colouré pour {0} mana. En plus, ce plan-ci resiste Emrakul (les cartes ne sont qu'exilés)!

Since Curio + Sower are colorless, you loop them back and forth bouncing each other via Animar cost reduction. Animar gets a counter each time, they cost one less, until free. Repeat x infinity for shits and giggles. Animar needs to already have some counters on it though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Since Curio + Sower are colorless, you loop them back and forth bouncing each other via Animar cost reduction. Animar gets a counter each time, they cost one less, until free. Repeat x infinity for shits and giggles. Animar needs to already have some counters on it though.
And you need another colorless creature, because Cloudstone Curio doesn't share a card type with the eldrazi.

Basic loop is animar with 6+ counters and curio, play sower, return a land untapper (cloud of faeries or peregrine drake) or a colorless creature and just loop the two. You can do this with a "normal" creature instead of an untapper or colorless creature if you have earthcraft in play or if the sower keeps hitting on-color lands from your opponent.

Primetime usually just gets Eye of Ugin + Gaea's Cradle which sets up various kill conditions for the next turn. The deck has a lot of goofy combo routes depending on what you have in play, Evolutionary Leap has some interesting applications as well.

Do you have a sample lynx deck I could see? Sounds intetesting. I vaguely remember drafting similar sounding decks back in the day, but feeling lynx was the worst part of it.

Selandsnya Beats

The general idea would be to grind out value, applying pressure in the early turns so that, by the time we hit the midgame point, they're playing really conservatively to guard their life total as we continue to build up our early threats and put down things that generate value over time. This deck could easily be tuned more aggressively, but I tend to like some sturdy defenses.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The general idea would be to grind out value, applying pressure in the early turns so that, by the time we hit the midgame point, they're playing really conservatively to guard their life total as we continue to build up our early threats and put down things that generate value over time. This deck could easily be tuned more aggressively, but I tend to like some sturdy defenses.

Have you tried Adventuring Gear?

Have you tried Adventuring Gear?

I have - but I just cut it during this morning's mini-update to my list. I've pulled together the lands deck once, and I cut it in favour of something more consistent, like Bonesplitter, and no one else seems to want it, either. I suppose it just feels better to have that sure-thing +2/0 off of Bonesplitter rather than the potentially-dead Gear offering somewhere between +4/+4 and +0/0. It's just too much work to keep on; Lynx is a potential threat, but Gear always feels like it's working against you. I think it's probably better than we've given it credit for, but I like the sure-thing value of something like Bonesplitter, which helps ensure trades if you fall behind (and it looks great on a vigilance creature to boot).

Erbfeind! :eek:

Do you guys see landfall as confirmed for BFZ as Avenger of Zendikar will be in the new duel deck?

It was a sure thing; Maro has talked about how when they do return sets now, they make a big list of all the things people are most likely to expect to return, rank them, and cut off the list after a certain threshold. I think landfall easily ranks at the top of reasonable Zendikar expectations.

Though I'm glad you mentioned Avenger, because I was looking for an excuse to say how pleased I am with the new art. It's not the best ever, definitely not, but, I really, reeeeeally prefer it to the original. I typically prefer traditional work over digital, but that original Avenger art was kinda lame imho and a big barrier to it getting into my cube. I may just try it once the new art becomes available!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I just hope that, for the sake of a good limited environment, landfall does something else other than offering +2/+2 bonuses to creatures. I'm not sure where they're going to take the mechanic this go-round, but a whole format full of essentially can't-block creatures did not make for a good time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I just hope that, for the sake of a good limited environment, landfall does something else other than offering +2/+2 bonuses to creatures. I'm not sure where they're going to take the mechanic this go-round, but a whole format full of essentially can't-block creatures did not make for a good time.

But eric, it did:
54.jpg
47.jpg
47.jpg
49.jpg
62.jpg
66.jpg
65.jpg
190.jpg

CML

Contributor
so they have this formula (afaik from maro articles) where cards of a certain power level have to get balanced by terrible cards in the same color. we've been over this a million times, i guess, but wizards' way of fixing Zendikar was to have both very good and very bad black cards, i.e. a super-steep power curve, which is why your decks would end up having Vampire Nighthawk, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Soul Stair Expedition, Bojuka Brigand ... Grim Discovery? etc.