Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm really excited about the mechanic awaken. Like kicker, it seems like both an excellent way to mitigate flood, as well as something that encourages people to run more lands, which they should probably be doing in the first place. Having a late game option to convert one of your lands into a live body, on top of the real spell effect, adds more dimensions to your deck than kicker or multikicker giving your original spell slightly more oomph. Eager to see what the uncommons and rares carrying this mechanic look like.

Also, everyone's favourite tribal mechanic, allies, are back! wooooooo!

I said, WOOOOOOOO

Those eldrazi duders look clownish...
I guess they may help support artifact themes at higher power levels, though, if their abilities are focused around colourless creatures? We'll see

Retreat to Kazandu looks like some durdlefest fun, though I wish it was maybe a bit more interactive.

Gotta agree on awaken looking sweet. It looks like it will come in various sizes. I'm all in favor of alternate cost mechanics and anything that gives lands more play. Makes for more interesting sequencing decisions and less bad topdecks.

I'm glad to see the new ally doesn't just have a triggered ability when an ally ETB. It's not a super exciting card, but I could see it in a low power tribal cube as a creature that get a nice but not critical bonus if you have other allies. Ally tribal in zendikar seems super poisonous (never played zendikar limited, but just judging from how they all trigger off other allies... yeah). I'm hoping that the new allies have better overlap with other mechanics.

I'm not sold on Devoid, but hopefully they'll do something more interesting with it than just making a bunch of creatures with the ghostfire ability. Nice to see the colorless matters theme right after morph.

I've got to see more stuff before I have any real opinion on ingest. I could see it being really cool or just awful, but it's definitely got potential. Some obvious things would be a nightvale specter eldrazi or some creatures that care about stuff in exile like warden of the beyond.

EDIT: and Retreat to Kazandu looks like it will be nuts in draft. Like a mini Citadel Siege if you can keep up your land drops (and hopefully you'll have some evolving wilds so you can add +1/+1 counters at instant speed).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just really love the smalldrazi. I always wished there were cool Eldrazi that cost less than 9 or whatever. They're a great tribe flavor wise, and now we will get some non-Grim Monolith cubeable cards out of it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I hope to see some {U/R} eldrazi colorless support that matches up nicely with the slowly but surely very playable nonpoisonous artifact theme in those colors, and maybe some nice playable {U/B} cards with ingest that can support a nonpoisonous mill theme as well!

The problem with trying to mill them with ingest is that your creatures are going to be killing them faster with damage than with mill.

I wonder if you could mix mill with aggro - mill being not the win condition, but resource denial. Control can't answer you if their answers are in the bin. Unless it's using graveyard spells. Then you are stuffed.

EDIT: i note the eldrazi are all Ulamogs brood. I wonder if koz and em will still be present.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we really have the full picture on Ingest yet, but I don't think it's at all meant to be a "mill" mechanic. More of an "interacts with exile" thing, as evidenced by Oblivion Sower. I also don't think it's any coincidence that they are bringing this in the block after they printed Delve.

I wonder if you could mix mill with aggro - mill being not the win condition, but resource denial. Control can't answer you if their answers are in the bin. Unless it's using graveyard spells. Then you are stuffed.

EDIT: i note the eldrazi are all Ulamogs brood. I wonder if koz and em will still be present.

Problem is you're just as likely to mill them to their answers as milling their answers. Not to mention cards like Snapcaster Mage, Eternal Witness, Tasigur who want cards in the grave.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

I still hate allies, but the new approach to them seems more reasonable. Look at Warleader. He cares about having other creatures primarily, and gets some incremental buffs as a function of having more allies. None of the text actually counts how many allies you have in play. It makes me marginally hopeful that the tribe is less linear this time around.

Fingers crossed for an enchantment with "nontoken creatures you control are allies in addition to their other types. Allies get <effect>"!