Sets [C15] Commander 2015 Spoiler Thread

Aoret

Developer
I mean, Cryptic is still amazing in Modern. What classifies as a "pet" card in this day and age?
Hmm, sounds like I define it differently than a lot of you, but I'd say: "Card that I won't ever cut on the basis of loving the card rather than any virtue of its own". Meaning that even if you guys sat here and constructed a bulletproof argument for why the confluence is better for my environment than cryptic and I should swap, I'm still probably never cutting cryptic because I love it.

Ahadabans, I'd suggest Dread Return or Consuming Vapors as your cut for the confluence. (I hope I'm looking at the right CT list.) More modal spells is more better!

I love dread return too much to ever cut it (if I only ran one pure reanimation spell, it would be that one). But consuming vapors has been on the edge for awhile, so a good suggestion thank you.

More modal is probably better, I think everyone is right about that after putting more thought into it. Same goes for Cryptic and Mystic Confluence. I should probably just find a way to run both of them.

Yay modality!
I think that modal spells, whether they literally have a list of modes or are modal along the mana curve like Cyclonic Rift and Endless One, are one of the best things a Cube designer can prioritize at the individual-card-slot level. They're versatile without feeling generic, they increase decision points at a complexity discount, and you just feel smart when you use them right and win. As opposed to feeling dirty when you use Grave Titan wrong and still win.

On that note I really need to finish my CT list for a proof-of-concept Modal Cube.
Cycling, Kicker and friends, X costs, Scry, bulleted lists, cantrips everywhere. You'll never use more Advil while playing Cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On that note I really need to finish my CT list for a proof-of-concept Modal Cube.
Cycling, Kicker and friends, X costs, Scry, bulleted lists, cantrips everywhere. You'll never use more Advil while playing Cube.
Didn't someone here put together a super fun charm cube? Forgot who it was :(

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I thought it was Rob Dennis, but then I only found other cubes by him. Anyway, that cube always looked awesome I thought!

Wow, Wretched Confluence is an instant.

I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over, but that's really strong. The draw and the return effects are great at EoT, and incredible as collateral of a combat trick.

The recursive dragon is pretty cool. I hear people saying he's the Legacy plant, butttt two creatures is a lot to sac. Maybe i'm underestimating the token-making capabilities of Legacy dudes, though.

Srsly tho, the confluences are such huge game. Except the green one.

Laz

Developer
I like the Dragon, and the Confluences seem awesome, but I am a little put off by the mana-costs. I think the Red one is probably coming in for me, but that might be it. Black and Blue would be other options, but I think I prefer the Lorwyn Commands over these ones. I might do a couple of drafts where I try directly swapping them and see what people think.

skullwinder.jpg

This guy is my strongest inclusion. Straight into the draw-a-card cube with you! Deathtouch is big game there, and cards for everyone is basically the theme of the whole environment.

The XRRR spell almost has my interest, and the grixis confluence cards seem neat. Too bad about the other two expensive sorceries they decided to make so awkward.

What do you guys think of the red confluence? Deal 3 to all / destroy target Planeswalker deal 2 to it's controller seems pretty good to me.

The BW 2drop seems neat too but I don't wana encourage you lifegain-matters apologists any more than necessary (though I am a huge proponent of thragtusk+arena)

Mystic confluence is the only one I'm 100% certain about. But I suspect they are all at least playable (and probably much better than that) simply because of how valuable flexible cards like this are. It's often not apparent exactly how good until you play them in a game and realize you can choose exactly what you need for the situation. The scalable pyroclasm effect on the red one in particular I think is going to be much better than I originally thought.

That said, I'm just starting with the blue and red confluences only. I don't want more token makers (so white is out). The green one is one mana more than I'm willing to pay. And the black one I just can't find a cut for (despite how good I think it will be) so unless everyone says it's really really good I'm passing.

On another note, I proxied Meren over the weekend. It's busted. So good in fact that it might be GRBS in my meta (I really hope it isn't because I love the design). I have pretty heavy graveyard support and this card essentially becomes a raise dead every turn with insane combo potential (repeatable shriekmaw's anyone?). And forget about the experience counter mechanic. You could remove it from the card and Meren would still be broken.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think people are underestimating exactly what gaining 15 life means. Like Rasmus said, that's a whole lot of time you are buying. If your deck's card quality is better then your opponents, you probably can't lose are resolving it if they don't have a lethal engine on the table. Lots of decks throw away cards to get in damage (burn, early attackers that get outclassed). Mystic Confluence undoes all that, making it likely to be the equivalent of undoing ~4 cards the opponent SPENT MANA ON in many cases. And unlike more narrow cards, when you don't need life you can just spam tokens or blow up enchantments. If anyone has run primal command they know that gain 7 life is a super strong mode on that card. I won't run the card because it's powerful in a direction I don't want to encourage, but it sure is powerful.

I think people are underestimating exactly what gaining 15 life means. Like Rasmus said, that's a whole lot of time you are buying. If your deck's card quality is better then your opponents, you probably can't lose are resolving it if they don't have a lethal engine on the table. Lots of decks throw away cards to get in damage (burn, early attackers that get outclassed). Mystic Confluence undoes all that, making it likely to be the equivalent of undoing ~4 cards the opponent SPENT MANA ON in many cases. And unlike more narrow cards, when you don't need life you can just spam tokens or blow up enchantments. If anyone has run primal command they know that gain 7 life is a super strong mode on that card. I won't run the card because it's powerful in a direction I don't want to encourage, but it sure is powerful.
That reason is why I'm running it lol

I'm running all the confluences except primal command, modal spells are the best.

I don't think I'm underestimating the 15 life (or the 3 2/2 vigilant knight tokens for that matter). The white confluence is plenty good enough. I just don't know if the effect is desirable for my meta, that's my main reason for not including that one.

And I love modal spells more than most (I run many charms and commands already).

Yeah giving people the ability to gain 15 life when they're trying to make their deck work through their expensive sorceries sounds like it leads to great games of magic.

You know It's fun to make players want to quit through sheer frustration in fnm constructed etc but honestly is "oh dear I'm at 40 again" really the sort of garbage you want to be happening in your cubes because that's what you seem to be trying to sell us on. Trust me guys I've probably cast pulse of the fields more than anyone else on the forum.

How many sorcery speed white 5s are we looking for here? I guess it's fine as another bad thragtusk but...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a poster child for white control though, a deck many of us are struggling to support. I'm at least going to try it.