Sets [C15] Commander 2015 Spoiler Thread

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The appeal to me of the card would be the ability to blow up enchantments attached to a bunch of not horrible options, but thats really about it. It looks a lot like a pushed timely reinforcements, which is already a card I'm not a fan of.

Aoret

Developer
It's a poster child for white control though, a deck many of us are struggling to support. I'm at least going to try it.

I'm kicking around the idea of changing some of my shocks back into duals now that control can't win tournaments. Leaning towards a 1/2 split because right now I see shocks and think "eh, I can snag another later" and the idea of seeing that one dual that's in a pack with your on color bomb and knowing it's your only chance at it kind of appeals to me.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Does anyone have any thoughts on the red confluence? It looks really good, but I kind of hate the idea of cube games ending with 6 to the dome.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the red confluence? It looks really good, but I kind of hate the idea of cube games ending with 6 to the dome.

That's my concern as well. Prob good if you play a lot of planeswalkers. I think we are keen for the 'free' artifact destruction, but it's not gelling for me.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I don't know how often 15 life or 10 life + guaranteed 2/2 will be better than Feudkiller's Verdict, which is a fun card but not one I'm looking to Cube above a low power level; the 'other' mode is 3 2/2s, which is fine but low impact compared to the other things white can do at 5 mana.

Wretched Confluence is absurd, playing it and Mystic Confluence for sure. I want to beef control decks in my Cube without jamming a bunch of planeswalkers and Confluence is perfect; it's great for a tempo/flash deck too.

CML

Contributor
righteous confluence
mystic confluence
wretched confluence
fiery confluence
magus of the wheel

deadly tempest

missing anything?

I agree that 6 to the dome in the confluence is horrifying, but I'm willing to try it. Arachnogenesis can turn into a pretty clutch removal spell against wide, aggressive decks, and matching tokens with Spider Spawning isn't too bad either (I like it when my tokens have multiple sources). Bloodspore Thrinax overlaps with sacrifice and token themes and is straightforward +1/+1 counter support.

I'm surprised Vinecrasher's not stirring so big a wind. I guess a 1/1 for 4 does seem pretty terrible. I do think he slots well in the fetchland formats where you can pay his recursion clause in response to your opponents' fetches. His abilities also synergize with (self)mill and land destruction. He may not be a centerpiece in those decks, but it's interesting to see a creature that slots into all three themes simultaneously.

Arachnogenesis just seems like way too hard of a dump on aggro decks- you mass-block as a removal spell, take 0, and block again next turn? Green timely reinforcements or something. Being bad against other archetypes and insane against one in particular doesn't sound fun to me :(

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Arachnogenesis just seems like way too hard of a dump on aggro decks- you mass-block as a removal spell, take 0, and block again next turn? Green timely reinforcements or something. Being bad against other archetypes and insane against one in particular doesn't sound fun to me :(

But, green control!

Yes, probably. But it'll also destroy the x/1 creatures player which is why it's way too swingy arguably.
And they don't have to each block separate creatures, so you can nuke a bigger creature with more spiders. It's gotta definite feel-bad aspect of just demolishing what someone thought was a good attack, or not doing much in hand against one duder. Swingy is this cards middle name.

Any thoughts on Anya, Merciless Angel? My Boros section is pitiful and she seems like a big scary finisher, but maybe she's too strong.

I pre-ordered a copy for the same reason (Boros is lacking IMO), but I doubt I will even test this card. There's no real play to it. It encourages aggressive decks I guess, but it's not like this is something you have to push in this color combination. When you are in a winning position, it's a 7/7 flying indestructible creature for 5 which is all fine and good. When you aren't though, it's a gimped Serra Angel that requires two colors. Feels win more (maybe it's just super efficient closer)? I suppose it helps you race Titans and what not. It goes back to the urgency prevalent in the game now. Like once you get to 5 or 6 mana it's like MUST WIN THE GAME NOW. I don't know. I just dislike designs like this but I'm old school.

I wish boros had some better options too, it has similar problems with Gruul. I think it stems from the historical approach to red being one dimensional. Hopefully something that might get better now there is more a more interesting focus to red design.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Hopefully they can throw the "cast this turn" rider on some cards to make them "modular". Like, if you cast them early, you just get the card and maybe a land, but if you cast them later you get a whole draw with them. Like abbot, but on a variety of effects.