Article ChannelFireball: Utility Land Draft

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know that's kind of a pet card, but that's clearly the worst blue land in my mind. It etb tapped, for a very marginal effect. Nobody plays Sage Owl after all.

Hmm.. it actually got played 100% of the time in my paper cube. Especially with 2.5 Fetches, it was used a lot like Ponder. Rearrage, draw the one you want, fetch away the rest. Hmmm, this is difficult.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel like there's overlap between sandbar and halimar depths, and similar overlap between castle and karakas

I feel like i'd cut karakas? it does randomly make opponents stuff uncastable and is really really good at protecting things. OP or not it kinda feels bad
Plus if you sell it you'll make like 500$

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like there's overlap between sandbar and halimar depths, and similar overlap between castle and karakas

I feel like i'd cut karakas? it does randomly make opponents stuff uncastable and is really really good at protecting things. OP or not it kinda feels bad
Plus if you sell it you'll make like 500$

You like Eiganjo over Karakas? I think the main use of Karakas is Clique / Venser recursion.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You like Eiganjo over Karakas? I think the main use of Karakas is Clique / Venser recursion.

I like the venser/clique interaction, but I don't like clique dodging any removal spell (as opposed to just small enough burn) and your opponent not being able to stick legends :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, my proposed ULD list is at the top of the page. It is starting to feel a bit tight and up to date. Any further tweaks?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think I like Bojuka Bog over Cabal Pit.

I also kinda dislike the split on Mishra's Factory, Mutavault and Blinkmoth Nexus. Factory especially gets so much better in multiples. I think I would just run 3 Factories instead of the mix.

One Tectonic Edge feels like not enough, I run two plus two Ghost Quarters to give a bit more options.

Murmuring Bosk seems a bit random. I know it can be fetched, but it randomly fixes only one wedge.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Buuuut Mutavault is a Zombie! People actually almost never took the Tectonic Edge over here (multi-Wasteland in the main), so we'll see what the demand is when we play online. Mutavault and Factory were both high enough picks that they were never played by the same person.

Bosk is super random, but I love fetching it up.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'd say fuck factory. Put like 3 mutavaults in there and call it a day. Way more cool stuff happens because mutavault happens to be every little dude under the sun then there is value with factory blocking as a 3/3

I haven't tested it yet, but I expect Mortuary Mire to be awesome. One time free Volrath's can't possibly be bad (even on an ETB tapped land). I'd run that one in your list Jason (I apologize if you already considered it and I missed the discussion).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tested it yet, but I expect Mortuary Mire to be awesome. One time free Volrath's can't possibly be bad (even on an ETB tapped land). I'd run that one in your list Jason (I apologize if you already considered it and I missed the discussion).

I have considered it, just not written about it. My concern is that it overlaps so much with Volrath's in function, while still being worse in most cases. You don't want it in your opening hand at all. I don't think it's a bad suggestion, but something "feels" off about it.

I've actually been super underwhelmed with Mortuary Mire in BfZ at least. You want to play it early, because it comes into play late, but you want to play it late, so you get value. And even the value you do get is relatively minimal - you need to have a creature in your graveyard that's on average better than creatures in your deck. I think it plays a lot worse than it looks.