Article ChannelFireball: Utility Land Draft

I've actually been super underwhelmed with Mortuary Mire in BfZ at least. You want to play it early, because it comes into play late, but you want to play it late, so you get value. And even the value you do get is relatively minimal - you need to have a creature in your graveyard that's on average better than creatures in your deck. I think it plays a lot worse than it looks.

In a low-curve format (like mine), Mortuary Mire coming in tapped doesn't matter so much if it's your 5th land and you're getting back an Obstinate Baloth or Archangel of Tithes next turn. It's an extremely useful card, and goes up in value the better your cheaper creatures are. It certainly does require a bit of thought as to when to time it and what to buy back, but I personally am happy to hold my 5th or 6th land drop for turns and turns if it opens up a great "trade" or acts as insurance on a key piece of my deck like Guttersnipe. I think it probably goes down in value if your format is Dragons Versus Hydras, but in a low-curve, tempo-oriented environment, I think it's fantastic.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajdoWQPfHEuqhyxllE-rSmx-jp9awYCn2J6yW2Zjl6Y/edit?usp=sharing

Does this make sense to everyone?

Is it at all possible to do hover-over card images on Google docs? That would be amazing.

I don't believe so. The only way I believe it is possible is if you use reddit's favourite tool Autocard Anywhere.

Edit: Just gave it a try and it didn't work. Must only work on static html text. Oh well, I guess having a link to all the card images on a page is probably the best solution :\

I've actually been super underwhelmed with Mortuary Mire in BfZ at least. You want to play it early, because it comes into play late, but you want to play it late, so you get value. And even the value you do get is relatively minimal - you need to have a creature in your graveyard that's on average better than creatures in your deck. I think it plays a lot worse than it looks.

In cube though, there are very often super value dudes that you really really want to reuse. I see this as a midrange/control card. Perfect in rock/pod decks or anything with ETB creatures. Imagine getting a second use out of Eternal Witness, Shriekmaw, etc. And the cost is playing an ETB tapped land on T5.

It's probably not great in the gravecrawler deck, but then again mono black is going to be orgasming all over itself to rebuy messenger or merchant (and unlike Volrath's, this one taps for B which mono black requires).

All theorycraft as I have yet to play it in a deck, so I could be totally off here.

I could be wrong as well but it feels like a lot has to go right for Mire to be any more than a CITP swamp. Maybe it's worth playing for the times when that is the case, but I'm going to skip it for the moment.

I don't believe so. The only way I believe it is possible is if you use reddit's favourite tool Autocard Anywhere.

Edit: Just gave it a try and it didn't work. Must only work on static html text. Oh well, I guess having a link to all the card images on a page is probably the best solution :\

Autocard anywhere doesn't work on spreadsheets, and I'm pretty sure it's because it sees the cell, and not the text inside the cell :/
It would be amazing if it would work on sheets though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajdoWQPfHEuqhyxllE-rSmx-jp9awYCn2J6yW2Zjl6Y/edit?usp=sharing

Does this make sense to everyone?

Is it at all possible to do hover-over card images on Google docs? That would be amazing.

I updated the sheet to make the draft smoother.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12mEY884ieQjvAiVaQ4_8bLkdgN9DmfBew2Dd_GJ07cY/edit?usp=sharing

Basically now it will display your picks as you make them, provided you append your name with the pick number in the approproate column.

Laz

Developer
Ok... things kind of spiralled out of control. Drank a fair bit, thought this might be a problem worth putting some time into, wrote functional code in 15 minutes, messed up a synchronous versus asynchronous pattern, spent an hour not seeing it and trying a dozen different approaches. Tried to share, but Google seems to hate that. Spent over an hour going through the process of trying to publish it, ended up having to pay Google money for the privilege of adding functionality to their platform. Pretty much the worst experience with Google I have ever had, being forced to upload screenshots, icons, adding categories which didn't make any sense, just to share all of a couple of dozen lines of code. But that became conquered, and here you go.

Magic card sidebar add-on for Google Spreadsheets

SidebarSS.png

Edit: Ok, seems I screwed up how menus work when I went from local proof of concept to published add-on. I submitted an update, but apparently my update has triggered a manual review process. Menus might be broken for a little because I now seem to be in an enforced code-freeze.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ok... things kind of spiralled out of control. Drank a fair bit, thought this might be a problem worth putting some time into, wrote functional code in 15 minutes, messed up a synchronous versus asynchronous pattern, spent an hour not seeing it and trying a dozen different approaches. Tried to share, but Google seems to hate that. Spent over an hour going through the process of trying to publish it, ended up having to pay Google money for the privilege of adding functionality to their platform. Pretty much the worst experience with Google I have ever had, being forced to upload screenshots, icons, adding categories which didn't make any sense, just to share all of a couple of dozen lines of code. But that became conquered, and here you go.

Magic card sidebar add-on for Google Spreadsheets

SidebarSS.png

Man every time someone talks to me about their coding experience mine feels so much less hardcore :p

Laz

Developer
I have the add-on installed... how do I use it? All that shows up under the "add-on" menu is the "help" option.

Yeah that is the broken menu I was mentioning above. I was serious when I said this was actually a horrible experience with Google. Apparently I have to wait for a manual approval in order to fix it.

Laz

Developer
I have submitted a code-fix (maybe? I can't be bothered to work out the proper testing sequence). Crossed fingers will be fixed soon.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
As in, how do you get the card window to display... can you link an example sheet?

It works for me here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajdoWQPfHEuqhyxllE-rSmx-jp9awYCn2J6yW2Zjl6Y/edit#gid=0

My specific sequence was:
1) open a new doc
2) type in shock to a cell
3) go to the add-ons menu and select "card view" (it was available, where normally it only shows "help")
4) open the doc I wanted, and card view popped up automatically

Sounds like Laz has a fix in the works though.

Laz

Developer
Ok, worked out the proper testing sequence. Seems I had missed a step in menu creation. Thought that I had an issue where it wouldn't work on sheets for which I didn't have the ability to edit, but worked through that. I have a working local test, actually on your sheet venny, but Google code-review auto-lockdown bot has me in code freeze.

Edit: Lied. Doesn't work in sheets without edit capability. Can't run any scripts at all there, even read only ones. Sorry.

Edit 2: Are you enjoying my programming complaints in real time?

Edit: Lied. Doesn't work in sheets without edit capability. Can't run any scripts at all there, even read only ones. Sorry.

Edit 2: Are you enjoying my programming complaints in real time?

Hm. I might just let one of you add the card viewer to my spreadsheet... you should have editing privilages.
I was thinking, I have a "turn" counter cell (E14) right now, so you could have the card viewer select which cell to have active based what turn number it is.

Of course we're enjoying live updates of your programing adventures! I feel your pain, man.

Laz

Developer
Ok, woke up to a rejected update with a long document telling me what I had screwed up.
Turns out I had triggered off their code-robot because I was trying to open the sidebar view in my onOpen trigger... Silly me right?

Anyways, code-fixes should have been pushed out. Let me know how you go.

Aoret

Developer
Mad respect for this Laz. Incredibly useful bit of code.

And yes, google can be a pain. I'm *still* getting emails from them asking me to update tax information so they can pay me like $3 and tax me $1 for a shitty magic android app I wrote in college.