Article ChannelFireball: Utility Land Draft

I've been thinking about ULD and I'm having some concerns with power level. Maybe it's because my cube has become weaker.

So, the argument for keeping lands in the main cube is that players should prioritize them higher than their objective power level because they don't actually take a real slot in the deck and instead replace a basic land. Essentially, if you're drafting cards that you're not convinced you'll be running, the nonbasic is often the superior pick.*

There are quite a few cards in my ULD that I could imagine picking somewhere in the middle of the pack. This is potentially troublesome, because why are we spending all this time carefully drafting the second half of a pack when afterward we will be rochestering cards--often from a randomly determined order--that would otherwise have been medium level picks, relatively speaking?

For reference, I'm thinking of cards like Faerie Conclave. Most blue decks would be happy to draft and play that over blue-card-pick #32, whatever it may be.

Does anyone else think this is an issue? If so, which ULD lands should be brought back in to the main cube? Edit: Perhaps a more direct question would be better. What are the 10 highest nonbasic picks in my utility binder?

*You could also blame this on pack size. In regular limited there are a lot of chaff picks that you can disregard immediately and narrowing down to 23 isn't usually so difficult, but conversely in cube it's almost always a grueling process. I think an interesting statistic would be how often pick #x actually ends up in a player's deck. I often feel like 45 picks is way unnecessary.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You could add 8 cards, numbered "seat 1" to "seat 8" to your main cube to determine the order of the ULD draft. Or maybe replace all your lands in the main cube with numbered cards that represent one pick from the ULD, in order. So your main cube containst blank land cards numbered "pick 1" through "pick 54" (or whatever your land count is), and then in order people get 10 seconds to pick a card from the ULD pile, which now containst mana fixing and utility lands. I bet that will just lead to a lot of five-color goodness though :p

You could add 8 cards, numbered "seat 1" to "seat 8" to your main cube to determine the order of the ULD draft. Or maybe replace all your lands in the main cube with numbered cards that represent one pick from the ULD, in order. So your main cube containst blank land cards numbered "pick 1" through "pick 54" (or whatever your land count is), and then in order people get 10 seconds to pick a card from the ULD pile, which now containst mana fixing and utility lands. I bet that will just lead to a lot of five-color goodness though :p
I actually sort of do this already (the first thing you said). I need to reform it a bit but it's pretty good.

no, i'd get over it—13th pick Karakas is a terrible dynamic
I don't plan to get rid of ULD. I just think I need to go a little deeper with adding some lands back into the main cube.

Does anyone else think this is an issue? If so, which ULD lands should be brought back in to the main cube? Edit: Perhaps a more direct question would be better. What are the 10 highest nonbasic picks in my utility binder?

I think faerie conclave, treetop village, mutavault and city of brass are all good enough for the main cube. And I think you have some non-land cards in there too that could be high pick material depending on your cube power level (genesis in ULD? really? eternal dragon?).

I haven't had enough testing with the non-land utility cards yet, so that could be a mistake. I'm pretty certain that Genesis and Eternal Dragon would usually be bottom-of-the-pack narrow picks for my cube, but they're such fun effects that I want to include them somehow if I can.

I can see that. Some of the cards you have there seem well suited though. Like Haakon. I run it main cube (and am probably the only guy who ever drafts it), but it's certainly somewhat narrow requiring redundant discard outlets.

I'm assuming everyone knows ahead of time what cards are part of ULD? Because if I drafted your cube I would be looking to maximize the synergy there (assuming I could be reasonably sure I will get the cards from ULD that I want). Genesis to me is a really good card in GB rock decks. So if I knew i could get it without using a pick during the main draft, I would be very inclined to force it during the draft. Eternal Dragon maybe not, but it's still a 5/5 flyer that is also a modal land fetch (and it bins itself for any reanimator or incidental graveyard recursion). The dragon is very underrated I think.

Yes, I make sure to show everyone the binder before we start. What you've described is exactly what I'm afraid of, however, since they're perceived as "guaranteed" picks.

Edit: Which of the following could be strong enough for the main?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The only one I wonder about is Urborg. Is it strong at all?

Also yavimaya hollow requires really attentive drafters. I removed it wholesale

Aoret

Developer
I don't have power level concerns with the above except for township, tower, and possibly wolf run. Then again, my land situation is quite a bit different than standard riptide fare at this point. (still hoping one of you guys hops on the hype train...)

I don't have power level concerns with the above except for township, tower, and possibly wolf run. Then again, my land situation is quite a bit different than standard riptide fare at this point. (still hoping one of you guys hops on the hype train...)

i'm so close, dude. it'd free up like two dozen slots lol

I don't have a ULD, but I run Conclave, Academy Ruins, Treetop, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Mishra's, and Mutavault. They're all interesting picks to consider mid-pack over other options here.

As an aside, I feel like 5c lands are very underrated here- I've p1p1'd City of Brass before. They fix your colors guaranteed, and give you a free source of a splash color, which lets players splash more often. I'd rather face UWr or UWb control some drafts instead of straight UW all the time- allowing splashes gives decks a unique flavor across drafts. (5c is overrated, one of my better players kept trying to force it to prove my fixing was too good... 4c/5c is something like 3-11 in matches here lol) Also, Gemstone Mine tends to make its way to the aggro players which I like.

Yes, I make sure to show everyone the binder before we start. What you've described is exactly what I'm afraid of, however, since they're perceived as "guaranteed" picks.

Edit: Which of the following could be strong enough for the main?

Withing my Cube and playgroup, Wolf-Run and Gavony are the two strongest of these, followed closely by Vault.

Vault of the Archangel is, hands down, no contest, the most powerful land in my ULD currently. It has proven to be much stronger over here than Gavony. I still love Gavony, and I'd rank it second, but Vault is a real powerhouse. That said, we like it a lot over here and find it to be at just the right power level to not feel unfair in the ULD compared to some of the other tools available there, so I'm not really convinced yet that it needs to be put into the main (though it has been discussed).

update: Vault of the Archangel is busted in the ULD. Don't do this to your drafters, please.

Dia, have you considered going the opposite direction with your ULD? That is, moving MORE lands into it?
I run all my lands in the ULD, even duals/fetches, and so far it has played pretty well. It may not be the right tool to fix your current problem with the ULD, but I thought I'd bring it up as something to chew on anyway.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
We tried an experimental new version of the ULD with my friends cube. We did a Westchester draft, but included an extra "side" row that always got lands and wiped clean every 4 rounds. It might need some tuning, but the idea seems good. It's completely incompatible with booster drafts, but if you do Rochester it could definitely work.

Aoret

Developer
Dia, have you considered going the opposite direction with your ULD? That is, moving MORE lands into it?
I run all my lands in the ULD, even duals/fetches, and so far it has played pretty well. It may not be the right tool to fix your current problem with the ULD, but I thought I'd bring it up as something to chew on anyway.
Blacksmithy, do you take any steps to keep this in check with LD spells/lands or do you just keep ULD pick count low? I'd be seriously concerned multicolor land/utility land abuse if I didn't have checks in place.

As is, I've taken to letting people just snake draft the ULD until everyone is satisfied. With fetches and wastelands capped at four (from outside the ULD), most people are finding that they can't/don't want to afford too many saucy taplands or lands that make colorless. This may be because I've pressed my curve lower per the FSR philosophy, but I think wasteland has a lot to do with it. 4 in a 40 card deck is a higher saturation than in constructed formats... I've considered cutting it down to 3 max, but currently only some of my players are smart enough to run them, so I'm inclined to wait until they learn.

i'm so close, dude. it'd free up like two dozen slots lol
If you do give it a go Safra, definitely post up your results. I don't think I'm nearly smart enough to figure out all of the implications it has on a format, nor do I get enough reps in to generate the data I'd like. I will say that the more cube games I play this way, the more convinced I am that it's a fun idea.

I still do advocate keeping the duals in the main draft to preserve tension, though I think the number of duals may need to be lowered to 20 to increase that tension. The prevalence of fetches means I'm usually confident I can get away with fewer duals. The prevalence of wasteland and aggro being good often means I'm often disinclined to run all of my duals out of fear of dying to my manabase. I have a few concerns abuse of the fetches with off color duals to do 4-5 color stuff, but so far it seems like my playerbase is too afraid of getting locked out to run more than 2 colors. I'm having to force 3 color just to test for viability, and I'm finding it difficult to win when I do.

Lastly, I'll warn that if you do go this route, you're gonna start looking at some of the stuff in your ULD a little sideways. Halimar Depths feels pretty shitty when you're routinely dealing 5 damage to yourself with your own manabase and getting wastelanded a couple times per game. I don't think this is a bad thing necessarily, just different. I'd liken it to cubing at different power levels.

I love having duals and multicolor-fixing in the main draft to keep up that draft tension, ULD is mostly just single color lands that would often be 13-15th picks and colorless utility lands. If you just have the option of picking up your colors later, it's not nearly as exciting during draft having to plan around your colors and hope for certain things to wheel in my opinion.

Land abuse is kind of what i'm aiming for, honestly. Like if someone uses all their picks on fixers and goes 5c... Thats cool to me. Also, since im modern-frame only, my ULD is pretty weak compared to some on here.

It's an interesting concept, but I really like the tension of having to prioritize fixing during the main draft.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Vault gets stronger the slower the environment, and the more prone you are to board stalls. It was okay in Standard, but the looser you get the more it takes over.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, it's at its best in midrange mirrors, much like Gavony Township - any kind of mass creature-on-creature violence heavily flavours the man with the utility land. If a good chunk of your draft decks end up coming out as midrange, like, say, 5 out of 8 - *raises hand* - Vault shoots right to the top of the utility land pile.

I remember Vault being a huge bomb in Dark Ascension limited, but it's rarely done all that much in my cube. Black/White is not a great colour combination I think.