General Custom Cards: The Lab

How are we feeling about a card like this on Riptide?

Clairvoyant Powers.png

Too powerful?
Should be sorcery-speed?
Lame flavor/name?
Has the art already been used on a card I missed?

I wanted to name the card Clairvoyance but that name has already been taken 23 years ago on a card that does something very similiar. Didn't know this until just now.

Here's a few ideas I've been tinkering with:

Memory Leak.png

Thought this could be a neat tool for mill or self-mill decks.

Crystalline Caverns.png

Obviously insane in Constructed, but in cube could maybe be interesting?

Ingenious Scout.png

Here's a (hopefully) fixed version of the card I made earlier. I'll try to have the scroll up soon.

Variations on that custom mana rock from ages ago that wasn't really a mana rock:
Stone of the King.jpg Stone of the King 2.jpg
Flavor needs fixed, and needs a conspiracy style artifact frame.

clairvoyant powers
i think that revealing hands is one of those things that custom card designers often put on cards bc it seems like a minor upside. but it's secretly one of the most damaging things you can do as a designer.

often times when we evaluate what cards to put in a deck, we think about ideas like potential upside / downside, expected value, variance, etc. however, that idea can be applied to design too

so lets look at the upside of magic the gatherings system of hidden hands in general. hidden hands lead to bluffing, surprise, a complex system of possibilities we can imagine as a sort of "probability field". there's guesses upon guesses upon guesses, anything could happen. planning in magic is fundamentally interesting because we rarely know the contents of an opponent's hand for sure. if you revealed every single bit of hidden information in magic, the game would become trivial. so it's what makes the game tick on a fundamental level

the downside of the hidden information is? sometimes for new people it's difficult to reason about the hand, which leads to thoughts like like "my opponent counterspelled me once this turn, therefore they can counterspell me on everything forever". but a 1 shot hand reveal won't be there at the right time to help with that very often?

i have to ask, is hand revealing fun? what's the upside to you? as far as i can tell, it's all downside here.

because the downside is rather harmful to the basic thing that makes magic fun. a definition for fun i like a good bit is "pleasure with surprises", and surprises can come from many angles. most games use hidden information in some form or another. some games (chess, go) have a state space so complex that the interplay of that system is too difficult to store in one's head. though, famously chess champion bobby fischer thought that this was a lacking in chess too. but magic is not even remotely such a game, most of the time. so, if you remove surprise, and don't add anything in return, it's very harmful

i think if you are revealing a hand, you better be doing something damn important with that as a designer. it isn't always a problem to do so.
but it should be something you use carefully and highly intentionally. imo, it's a prized resource, not a tiny upside to be put on a card draw spell.

Thanks Anotak

While I 100 % agree that the hidden information such as face-down hands is an important part of MTG and one of the more interesting aspects of the game I also believe we should, sometimes, diverge from the basics. Much like GalacticTraveler12’s Crystalline Caverns cannot tap for mana. I do believe the posibility of including a spell that can reveal the opponent’s hand as a one-time effect can be quite useful to the degree that it is almost build-around. Any combo deck or control would would value that ability quite high. This is an interesting part of drafting and it gives the control player an edge he should be able to have but normally doesn’t have. It is a one-time effect and opponent will keep drawing face-down cards.

If a card like Thoughtseize can have it, then other cards can too.

But I agree that it is an important part of the card just like the draw is. It is not a tacked on extra ability that serves as a tiny upgrade to the already existing card. It was meant to be the reason why the card exist.

It is also a pro card understood in this regard that pro players would rate it higher then casual players. The ability also rewards skills and experience. Hente the pro card. And I do like to include cards that reward skills in my cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What you add is a way for the blue player to know if he should save his counterspells. Whether it's fun is another matter, but the value is there for blue decks.

Maybe a way to go about revealing cards is having them only reveal x cards, thereby not giving full informtaion a lot of the time.

But I do agree that it will often remove some of the fun from the game. I do not mind doing this in very small amounts.

Is there anything else to be said about the card that could be problematic?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What more do you want to be said about a card draw spell. It's fairly straightforward. Other than the "look at target player's hand" part and the mana cost, which were already pointed out, there isn't much to add I think?

hrm does this need reminder text

Runic Circle {1}{W}
Enchantment
Flash
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a card name.
You can’t be targeted or dealt damage by cards with the chosen name.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Isn't that last line already the reminder text for "You have protection from that card"? (Except for the corner case of an aura with enchant player/opponent entering the battlefield directly (say with Replenish instead of being cast.)

Isn't that last line already the reminder text for "You have protection from that card"? (Except for the corner case of an aura with enchant player/opponent entering the battlefield directly (say with Replenish instead of being cast.)
yea but i meant reminder text for it being able to counter spells when cast in response since it has flash

it's not protection because that has basically been phased out for modern cards. the text for protection is wordy enough already.
there's no guarantees that there will even be any enchant player cards in whatever hypothetical cube. why make people have to think about that? the fact that runed halo mentions enchantments is already weird

the last protection card was the emrakul, the promised end 2 years ago and was the only one in the entire block.
also arguably as a mythic rare that's the major antagonist of several blocks, it can get a pass on this kinda stuff

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, instants that grant hexproof don't use reminder text to indicate this, do they? It's basically the same thing, should be fairly self-explanatory.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sweet designs! Tip: right click on Swampcycling and disable the reminder text, then add it in by hand so you can change that second "Discard" into "discard".

Also reanimator cards use a different wordings depending on from where they reanimate.

From all graveyards
Put .... from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.

From your own graveyard
Return ... from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Your Reassemble should be re-worded if you wish to follow traditional WotC templating.

Also reanimator cards use a different wordings depending on from where they reanimate.

From all graveyards
Put .... from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.

From your own graveyard
Return ... from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Your Reassemble should be re-worded if you wish to follow traditional WotC templating.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't really like the "return" wording. But then I used it for the other card anyways...

Kajikimakiji.jpg
Does this miss a bunch of other targets that we really want it to hit? Humans has gotta hurt. Probably better to cut Zealous Conscripts and take off that part. I like the card, but I really like Resto. Pestermite is expendable, but I don't think non-Fairy is a big deal. I don't run Deceiver Exarch

Hmm...

Aritjiki 1R
T: Create a token that's a copy of target artifact you control. (That token gains haste?) Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/1

CAjiki 2RR
T: Create a token that's a copy of target creature or artifact you control. That token gains haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2

Tinker Natural Order 3UB
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Tinker, sacrifice an artifact (or creature?.

Search your library for an artifact or creature card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

There's always this:

Little Kiki 2R
T: Create a token that's a copy of target creature (or artifact) you control. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2

No haste stops the combos for the most part, or at least makes them 3 card combos. I think I may try that out actually.