General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

CML

Contributor
this was drafted by our token black guy who always tries to brew Merchant decks that are light on permanents; i will therefore never tire of jokes like "Jamal, I question your devotion to black"

nope i just got beat by attacking creatures

oh my god i just realized i misplayed horribly holy shit holy shit. i had lethal on board if i sac'd all my lands to gargadon and swung out but he had a creature to block so i decided not to
because he had only an
unleashed rakdos cackler
wow i suck

my 2-1 deck for reference:

monored control

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
winnar!

Junk Humans

bonus brews that didn't quite get there, but were sweet nonetheless

Ambitious Zombies

I Like Planewalkers and Removal, What, Do You Have a Problem With That

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday Dimir control 3-0d an 8man, beating spicy Bant Pod in the finals.

Sunday monoblack zombies took a six man.

That junk humans deck looks really, really sweet. Also, the quinfecta of Gravecrawlers looks like a blast, despite the kinda awkward snapcaster, I love it when you get an awesome mana base in aggro decks..

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
As I have mentioned, I almost always play 4 man. As such, we don't get a 3-0 every drafted. In fact, we rarely get 3-0s. Of course, this weekend we did and I didn't write done the deck list. It was red/white white angels, aggro dudes and burn. Chained to the Rocks was the mvp and it wasn't even close.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That junk humans deck looks really, really sweet. Also, the quinfecta of Gravecrawlers looks like a blast, despite the kinda awkward snapcaster, I love it when you get an awesome mana base in aggro decks..

Psssh, but that Snapcaster had three whole targets!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

I knew that Humans deck was the real deal when I tried to wrath his board of approximately 8153 creatures, and after clearing it out, he plopped down eight power of fresh Necromancer-cooked Zombie tokens - made almost entirely from green Humans, natch - and killed me in two turns.

And yeah, I think the Snapcaster was a glorified Ambush Viper all night long. I know some people (on this here forum!) have their pet cards, but still, that might be taking it a little far...

Psssh, but that Snapcaster had three whole targets!
I'll own up to the zombie deck. I took snapcaster when I was still pretty much monoblack because it was like 7th pick or something and I figured I'd have a doom blade or something. Then third pack I opened ancestral and I just started wondering.
At the end of the day, I had taken a lot of early lands and boy did I not have enough playables by the end of the draft. Like it was snapcaster or Burning Shrine or like splashing white for Sculler.

Learning Experiences:
  • Flash creatures are really weird tricks with sac decks.
  • I reaffirmed that I have priority to play sorceries before anyone kills my mutavault.
  • No one expects rune snags in the Goblin Guide / Gravecrawler deck
  • I really need to draft lifegain higher
  • Re-assembling skellington pretty much beats my deck
  • Keep an eye on how many removal spells I have because walls suck and I can't get by on synergy dorks alone

That was such a draft man. Me and Wilson were letting each other take back moves all over the place just because there was soooooo much room to improve in the small on board interactions. I couldn't help but notice how nuts resilient green creatures felt like they would be in that whole draft.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Well.. maybe. Decks like these really benefit from having one or both of the Blood Artists, which provide some much-needed reach while all the sacrifice shenanigans are going down. If anything, I'm concerned that the Gravecrawler deck is a little too good at the moment, when everything comes together. I think I'm content to leave this deck where it is and buff the other ones, until it gets to the point where the black recursion deck starts to lag behind.

CML

Contributor
I've considered going down to 3 gravecrawlers (or roughly 1/2 the density of Jason's cube), after the pleasant surprise that the deck was not just viable but "jesus christ, ashenmoor liege pumps gravecrawlers and faerie rogues AND assemble the legion soldiers?" i might want to use a slot or two on improving other Black decks instead

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Last Friday my uni's magic society was out of Theros boosters, and to my great surprise someone else suggested that I bring my cube! There's one dude who will always draft cube, but not a single other person is into it. So instead of not being able to get more than four people to cube, we had a 10 man. We had to draft a pack of 13 cards, then two packs of 14 because my cube was not big enough.
So finally I can post in this thread! These 3-x'd or greater. We didn't play rounds, people just played. One guy only played two rounds because his deck was slow as balls.

15 land awww yiss

I'm not sure about this mana base, and there could be a few more creatures. Anyway he 3-0'd and then I beat him with my spicy-as-something-really-spicy Birthing Pod deck.

Yes, Another RW Aggro Deck

I played one game against this guy, in which he +1'd Ajani on Soltari Champion every turn, and I made two copies of Thragtusk every turn. Eventually he gave Soltari Champignon double strike and killed me from 20. Now I know what Jason is talking about with board stalls.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Well it's been shuffled away, sadly, but I'll see what I can remember:

Spicy-as-a-Baby's-Bottom Birthing Pod

That looks pretty close. I think there was a bit more ramp in there. Note the zero removal. I actually took Venser out for Huntmaster and then later realsed he was my only removal spell (edit: well, I did have man-o'-war). I am getting worse at magic, I swear. Anyway it was sweet. Note my curve does not actually go up to 8, as Progenitor Mimic probably won't be a 6. He did many silly things that day though.
Genesis Wave was the only spell. It's rare anyone gets that card to work, so I was happy. In one game I Genesis Waved into Eternal Witness, returning Genesis wave. Then next turn I opted to draw Maelstrom Wanderer and cascade into Avenger of Zendikar and Oracle of Mul Daya instead. I think there was even some crazy pod activations that turn too, but it was unnecessary.

Big Grixis

Didn't get his basics but he crushed pretty hard. Three aggro players all sitting next to each other drafted mono white, mono red, and boros. They had a pretty rough time winning any games.

Oh man Ribbons of Night and Prophetic Bolt! This totally reminds me of the decks I would whip together for casual play with my friends that never played competitively and didn't know what it was like to go up against a deck sporting 8 elves or 4 wraths and 4 mana leaks. I think I'm going to have to check out your cube! You seem like the kinda guy that runs temporal spring!