General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Quite the ambitious raging ravine, what with only two green sources to activate it?

That deck has more 4cc planeswalkers in it [6] then my entire cube has [4].

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Bouncelands are part of my utility draft now. I stole Jason's <Temple of Choice> technology, and am applying it with 2x <Bounceland of Choice> and 2x <Painland of Choice>, for control and aggro, respectively.

Yeah, I think both Kiora and Raging Ravine might've been ambitious. He wiped the floor with us, though, so I'm one to talk.

I love that it plays like 3-4 creatures that have even thought about blocking in their whole lives and like a million planeswalkers.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, people have tried the "lol all planeswalkers" deck before, but never in a mono-red burn shell (!). People were either dying to its initial beatstick-and-bolt-you plan, and when that didn't pan out, people struggled to contain a Chandra followed up with a Ral Zarek and a Koth.

Yeah, people have tried the "lol all planeswalkers" deck before, but never in a mono-red burn shell (!). People were either dying to its initial beatstick-and-bolt-you plan, and when that didn't pan out, people struggled to contain a Chandra followed up with a Ral Zarek and a Koth.
Yeah I guess walkers were surviving because the enemy needed their creatures to block lol!

When I've played a lot of walkers I'd have like baby jace and tamiyo out and no creatures and I'd be like lol, which one do you wana kill before I draw the removal spell.

CML

Contributor
Most PWs are at their best in aggro. Diversified threats are really tough for a control deck to deal with.

this is a good conversation starter. above for example this seems to be true for Ral, Chandra, and Koth but not Ajani, Jace, and Kiora. in constructed PW curvetoppers are pretty rare in aggro (though burn, for example, will play some Chandras out of the board in Standard) and sparing in midrange too. the wadds postulate "diversify your aggro threats" is great against control and is horrible against midrange, which usually consigns the likes of Chandra to the board (it is a very good card, i know). i am thinking they are balancing PWs towards aggro in constructed these days, which means in Cube (where curves are more similar to one another across archetypes) they will appear mostly in aggro. there are a few that appear in all decks (elspeth, knight errant) but these are as easy cuts for the designer as they are includes for every deckbuilder.

the design ramification i have thought of is to skew pw's more towards control in cube, but including Gideon Jura may be going too far.

discuss

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
this is a good conversation starter. above for example this seems to be true for Ral, Chandra, and Koth but not Ajani, Jace, and Kiora. in constructed PW curvetoppers are pretty rare in aggro (though burn, for example, will play some Chandras out of the board in Standard) and sparing in midrange too. the wadds postulate "diversify your aggro threats" is great against control and is horrible against midrange, which usually consigns the likes of Chandra to the board (it is a very good card, i know). i am thinking they are balancing PWs towards aggro in constructed these days, which means in Cube (where curves are more similar to one another across archetypes) they will appear mostly in aggro. there are a few that appear in all decks (elspeth, knight errant) but these are as easy cuts for the designer as they are includes for every deckbuilder.

the design ramification i have thought of is to skew pw's more towards control in cube, but including Gideon Jura may be going too far.

discuss

Well, it reminds me of a game I saw on CFB the other day. Somebody was playing RUG chord, and their opponent had a basic island out. Hero plays a temple revealing Xenagos PW, and has to decide whether he's against monoblue, where it's terrible, or against control, where it's great. Hero bottoms it and opponent turns out to be control, and the Xenagos would have been amazing.

PWs that do damage / token creation are what aggro wants generally. But there's just the fact that killing PWs still usually requires board pressure, which Control is not always great at providing on T4.

But maybe that's just an argument for a greater density of manlands.

Yeah it also doesn't help that ultility removal like vindicate or oblivion ring are super slow and usually necessary to trade down in early turns against an aggressive opponent. Then you have to fight off some dumbass attrition machine like jitte or ajani and your ring already has an accorder paladin under it.

CML

Contributor
Well, it reminds me of a game I saw on CFB the other day. Somebody was playing RUG chord, and their opponent had a basic island out. Hero plays a temple revealing Xenagos PW, and has to decide whether he's against monoblue, where it's terrible, or against control, where it's great. Hero bottoms it and opponent turns out to be control, and the Xenagos would have been amazing.

PWs that do damage / token creation are what aggro wants generally. But there's just the fact that killing PWs still usually requires board pressure, which Control is not always great at providing on T4.

But maybe that's just an argument for a greater density of manlands.

monsters is pretty aggro, it's true. the nissa decks are similar. jace is super-controlling. i think it's mostly a function of not which decks PW's go in but which decks PW's are good against, which are control and midrange

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
which decks PW's are good against, which are control and midrange

I wonder if you just solved the problem of why control decks are struggling in my environment. I know that none of the slower decks last night could hold a candle to burn + superfriends.

Aggro tends to be very good in your cube eric, though you have better blockers in than before I've noticed.
It's rough when you are removing creatures for 3 sorcery mana and your opponent gets them for free each turn, or say, a bolt. Anyway, I like aggro with walkers way more than I like aggro with like red haste 4drop X, the games are just sweeter. Remember that game when I spent like 4 removal spells on your huntmaster reanimation 2 of them being wraths lol.

Maybe more walkers that are interesting to control help? Fighting gradual advantage with your own gradual advantage? The thing about win conditions that interest control is that most of them midranged is happy to take off their hands too, control is the one that needs to be more picky. I know red removal is pretty good against walkers and oblivion rings are okay against them. Man do man lands complicate this even more.

I loooove seeing Ral in aggro decks, I have no idea why. I guess I kinda think of the +1 as an ability you have to work to make exciting

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man what a noob! Is flame shock even up on this target? He doesn't even weave in the odd lava burst or earth shock, and I don't see any totems down. He could probably be getting another 20-30% DPS, easy.

Man what a noob! Is flame shock even up on this target? He doesn't even weave in the odd lava burst or earth shock, and I don't see any totems down. He could probably be getting another 20-30% DPS, easy.
I've never heard of any of those and I own a lot of dnd books.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah but like, what does wow have to do with larpers? Is this some kinda wow larp?

I think so. That's the original story behind the video is it not?

And to his credit, that used to be the original shaman rotation (Complete with the "I'm outta mana!" part at the end)

Upon further research into this absurd topic I realize the video started circulating in the year of our lord 2003, a year before blizzard ruined gaming forever by setting a precedence for every IP to become a horrible resource accrual and PVP game devoid of any atmosphere or immersion and populated by a mysterious caste of warriors that contributed very little to the gameworld in general who's major purpose seemed to be killing monsters that infinitely regenerated, fetching minor items and populating auction houses (jk dont kill me).

What I'm assuming here, is that "I'm out of mana" was a reference to the popular video, which was probably on ebaumsworld by then.
The video was popularly titled Ogre Battle on larp forums but I cannot suss out the nature of the game system.