General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Laz

Developer
You can't put Birthing Pod in your 6-drop slot to make your curve look better! :p
Can too! I mostly did it to make the poddable-creature chain more obvious. But yes, it was 3-drop city over here. Blade Splicers had to work really hard to stabilise the board, but the deck simply dodged most of the aggro decks.

Laz, how good is the falkenrath noble? Obv good as it won you that game but always felt a bit clunky. Eric, I think you've had/have it too?

Falkenrath Noble is ok, but not amazing. The background for its inclusion was that I wanted two blood artist effects, but when I just ran two Blood Artists things sometimes got out of hand really fast (have you ever played against multiple Blood Artists at once?!). I swapped one to a Falkenrath Noble, and then just propagated that change through my rebuild. Given I branched my sacrifice theme out to Red, I gained another Blood Artist effect in Hissing Iguanar, who has played really differently to Blood Artist, mostly thanks to 3 power. If there is a Falkenrath Noble and a Blood Artist in the pack, then my preference will normally be towards the Blood Artist, but there are some controller-y spot-removal heavy decks that really appreciate the 2/2 flying body.

Laz

Developer
Laz, how have you been liking your tinker package so far? If you have an example of a tinker control deck, I would love to see it.

It has been feeling ok, but maybe a little underpowered. There was a pretty solid Esper-Tinker/Control deck this week, but I didn't document it. It was something like:

Vague Recollection...

There were also a mana-rock or two, but I forget which ones. Deck had pretty bad mana, and lacked a way to really get in with Elbrus when it was Tinkered for or Stoneforged into play. It was probably a Wrath too heavy, and would have really benefited from Lingering Souls or the like and a little bit more to do early.

Duplicant really impressed me, and Steel Hellkite was likewise really strong.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Do you think people are just drafting the deck poorly right now?

It looks like there is a more aggro-controllish U/W version, based around stoneforge, and a more controllish tinker version of the deck. Have you seen any U/R varients running trash for treasure yet? It looks like it could be part of an aggro-control deck, control deck, and artifact reanimator/control deck.

Interesting stuff.

It has been feeling ok, but maybe a little underpowered. There was a pretty solid Esper-Tinker/Control deck this week, but I didn't document it. It was something like:

Vague Recollection...

There were also a mana-rock or two, but I forget which ones. Deck had pretty bad mana, and lacked a way to really get in with Elbrus when it was Tinkered for or Stoneforged into play. It was probably a Wrath too heavy, and would have really benefited from Lingering Souls or the like and a little bit more to do early.

Duplicant really impressed me, and Steel Hellkite was likewise really strong.
This is totally my kinda deck and I am really happy it's kinda coming together for you. What sort of equipment are you running for stone forge?

So this deck kinda ran roughshod over the others tonight. Somehow, it had the answer to each deck it faced right when it needed it:

Efreets and Demons

In the 2nd round, deck was paired up against the GW Lifegain deck (complete with double Kitchen Finks and the ability to reset via Oran-Rief, the Vastwood AND Gavony Township from Utility Draft) and was able to plant and Erebos and just shut them out. The Finals were a pretty sweet matchup between this and a Mono-Red Aggro deck that somehow picked up every great red creature in the Cube. Went to game 3, but the winning player stuck a Sword of War and Peace on a Serendib Efreet and just rode it to victory.

One of the most interesting sequences was a moment where the Mono-Red guy had some one drop, maybe a Rakdos Cackler, suited up with a Bonesplitter and was wary of attacking into a Chasm Skulker with 2 blue mana up. Brainstorm as a combat trick for the blowout would be so dirty.

Yeah, after hosting two drafts and seeing Sword of Wolf and Mill (took it out right after) and Sword of Fuck You Red lead to uninteractive games, I'm leaning towards not running any of them. I just wish I had some better equipment that people could be excited about. Minus swords, I'm at:

There's like zero incentive for Stoneforge then. If I had fetches, I would totally do Adventuring Gear and if I had some cash right now I'd shell out for Basilisk Collar or save for a Jitte. I guess W&P is a necessary evil for now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I would rather cut Stoneforge than keep in a Sword of X and Y. If one card isn't interesting to play without including a card that's unhealthy for your cube, just cut both. I don't play Stoneforge, despite running seven equipment:

Bonesplitter really is the best equipment for aggro, so I'm happy running two.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
yeah I've cut down on it as well.
do remember that other than for stoneforge, equipment is hardly an irreplaceable part of each and every single limited environment...

Yeah, that's the conclusion I reached as well. Bonesplitter is a sweet card; good enough that people actually want it, but not oppressive at all. I really like equipment that give +X/0 to whatever straps it on so that there's still the chance of the defending player to at least trade evenly. I only wish there was more equipment that fell into this same spectrum and could easily be included.

I do like Stoneforge Mystic though, so I'll see if it's still worth it to run her even without another premier piece of equipment to tutor for. Worst case scenario I just ship her right out and in with the swords to my Teysa, Orzhov Scion EDH deck I'm putting together. There's something very liberating when beating people to death in such a wacky format with a wimpy spirit token armed with some busted equipment.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've cut Stoneforge before and don't think it's such a big deal. There are plenty of interesting white 2-drops.

if I had some cash right now I'd shell out for Basilisk Collar

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN

I cut stoneforge when someone picked it p2p1 and started forcing white (which he wasn't in at all) destroying the player directly to his right's draft, and his own. I asked him why he switched so hard and he said "it's stoneforge, man."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN

Why is Basilisk Collar so expensive indeed? :confused:

People often expect to do broken things when they pick up a Stoneforge. If you run it without swords and Jitte things can go awry easily because of those expectations. Of course, if you run it with swords and Jitte, you are just a bad person Stoneforge becomes an auto-pick if you can afford to run it at all (i.e. it's not pack 4 and you are in less than 6 colors).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
These things always surprise me. I'm pretty sure I picked up a foil collar when it was in standard for like, 1.5 Euros.